I wouldn't be bothered too much if the next OS update for my Q10 was Android only.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-06-16 10:59 AM
    I actually will miss all the workarounds. As a tinkerer, I got a lot of pleasure from sideloading, debug tokens, and patching. I will miss the leaks most of all! Shout out to Sachesi and Darcy's Tools!
    I've found that I don't have to play with apps breaking and workarounds since the OS leaks have trickled off... now my Passport hums along fine on 10.3.2.2530, all the apps I use daily are working fine, Android or BB10. Battery is stable, device functions fine. I can easily forsee using it well into 2016 and beyond in its current state. Much better than the Z10 was two years ago with the same apps and 10.2 OS.
    01-06-16 11:23 AM
    I think John Chen should write a personal check for $100 to everyone who purchased a Passport as a personal apology for switching to Android. I don't think that would even cost him a third of his 2014 compensation package.
    01-06-16 11:58 AM
    As someone who owns a mid size company, I can tell you OS 10 was and is great. We have not migrated over to Priv because of the ongoing software and hardware issues. As for BB playing this game with OS 10. The landscape is littered with better ideas, and products. They are all dead not because of how they worked, but the idiots in charge with a touch of arrogance killed them off. In the end its a battle of blind Gorillas in a room swiping at each other, BB is just trying to stay out of the way, I think BB handsets will go the way of Beta Max too little to late, and high prices will do you in every time, coupled with the arrogance of we have a better idea!

WOOF!

I love my Passport, but in the end, why support a company that cannot commit to you. Or at least be honest.
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 01-06-16 at 12:28 PM.
    01-06-16 12:03 PM
    Well.... your analogy is neat, but not right. A bullet train with no tracks to me means a bullet train that doesn't run. I think BB10 runs great - much better than my wife's S6 which I have spent a lot of time with - thinking that maybe the Priv could work for me.

There is a thread on here from this guy who wants to buy out BB10. I work at a university and talk to our IT people about app development and they say that it really isn't that hard or expensive to do. I would like to see BB10 be develped further as a professional user platform - yes, only supporting a niche market - with internally developed apps for various professions as well as the "must have" social and other apps etc. I am not convinced at this point that that would not be economically viable - no it won't compare anywhere close to Android and iPhone in sales, but so what. If BB doesn't proceed down this route, this guy might have a good idea.
    Okay, maybe a few miles of track. It gets you and other "works for me" types from point A to point B, but other platforms can go from point A to point Z and everything in between any way they want to.

And if BlackBerry demote BlackBerry 10 from a general purpose OS to the OS of the businessmen, the wide variety of apps necessary would rapidly dilute their manpower. Unless BlackBerry decides to force their users to use the specific messaging/file sharing/notation/database/etc. apps under their umbrella, then BlackBerry would have a hard time managing to grab the "must have" apps for the variety of professions out there. There's medical imaging, social media, legal references, stocks, corporate IM and others that come to mind, all with various competing apps within their respective spheres. For BlackBerry to develop every single one of those, competently, would require the infinite monkeys at infinite typewriters of their marketing department. Assuming they can even wrangle the legal right to develop those from their respective owners.

But wait, I thought you were happy with not having apps? Why should BlackBerry port them if they are, and I quote, meaningless?
    PygmySurfer and kbz1960 like this.
    01-06-16 12:31 PM
    I think John Chen should write a personal check for $100 to everyone who purchased a Passport as a personal apology for switching to Android. I don't think that would even cost him a third of his 2014 compensation package.
    Why? Apologize for what? If you bought a Passport, then you purposely bought a non-Android phone, or did I miss something?

You know I've been lamenting the discontinuation of KFC Rotisserie Gold chicken for over 20 years now. I honestly think it was the best tasting product they EVER sold. Yum Corp probably owes me about 4 or 5 billion dollars by now, for 2 decades on living without my favorite fast food chicken.
    01-06-16 12:34 PM
    And perhaps a $200 check to everyone who bought a PP SE, on the market for only a few days before announcement of the Priv!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BBHermes; 01-06-16 at 01:22 PM.
    lift likes this.
    01-06-16 12:38 PM
    We kept BlackBerry's head above water these past 3 years by buying into their brand new OS10 phones. But now that they realize they'll never be profitable, we're left in quite the lurch. I know these phones won't "stop working" because of ended support aside from security updates, but man it upsets me, how we receive no official message from BlackBerry that BB10 will not be developed and improved anymore. It leaves some people wondering and hoping for a cool new update with new features and a new look, because some people are less informed about what's going on. Anyone who isn't a member of a site like CB pretty much won't know that their phone is now on its way to being outdated even if they just bought it yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand posts like this. My BB10 phone has been exceptional in every respect. Blackberry owes me nothing except to maintain BB10 in its current operating condition for the next couple of years.

I'm sorry you bought the wrong phone, buddy. But that's on you, not Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 12:44 PM
    you bought the phone because you liked it more than what it compared to at the time....

why is bb responsible for keeping that phone always updated forever?

What about microsoft for killing off windows 95/98/nt?

BB could as easily blame you for not developing apps if you want to play the finger pointing game...

And who knows, BB may come back strong in 10 years.... it isn't any worse off now than Apple was back in the 80s when they would have went under if Microsoft hadn't helped them out...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-06-16 12:48 PM
    If you assume that BB10 wasn't dead before it was launched (which in hindsight is what I believe now), and it really did in fact matter what management did after that, then OK. But we are where we are now - way past the tipping point.
    Your presence here is evidence. There are millions of BB10 enthusiasts who prefer BB10 despite the availability of excellent Android and iOS devices.

There ARE millions more that are not BB10 users, who would prefer BB10 over Android or iOS devices.

Turning those 'strangers' into 'friends' is the action that BlackBerry Ltd. didn't take effectively. You can say it's impossible, but I think it's undeniable that BlackBerry spent too much time pursuing "unsuitable" customers i.e. app-chasers who would not be satisfied with the BlackBerry World app selection) rather than reaching out to those, like many BB10 enthusiasts, who have other outlets for "apps" and still want a powerful BB10 device for our daily driver for communications and Web browsing.

There is this nonsense that "nobody" wants to carry two devices. Some people WANT to carry two devices, yes, even though they can use their work device for personal stuff, they WANT that separation. Also, this idiotic notion that EVERYONE needs access to stupid social media crapps 24-7, rather than just a few minutes once or twice a day, at which point they pick up their otherwise idle Android or iOS device and snapchat their junk across the internet.

There are a significant number (millions!) of BB10 device users. That's not deniable. There are millions more that would prefer BB10 but BlackBerry couldn't manage to get them on board. That's BlackBerry management's failure... and it's not something that's in the past. Sure, iOS might eventually become enough like BB10 that it makes what is now BB10 obsolete, but there would still be a market for a device where every single interaction isn't "analytic-ed". Some people just like the idea of not being tracked by or even doing business with huge mega corporations (the fact that Google and Apple are American-based is also an issue for some customer, while BlackBerry is Canadian), and BlackBerry could have had a sustainable market JUST with those people.

It's irrelevant because BlackBerry management has decided which road they're taking, and it's the apparently easy but actually not-so-easy road to relevance in Android handset development and software. I believe they've just raised the profile on their marginalization, and since the whole endgame is to be acquired by a deep-pocketed larger company, who gives an eff?
    lift likes this.
    01-06-16 01:05 PM
    We kept BlackBerry's head above water these past 3 years by buying into their brand new OS10 phones. But now that they realize they'll never be profitable, we're left in quite the lurch. I know these phones won't "stop working" because of ended support aside from security updates, but man it upsets me, how we receive no official message from BlackBerry that BB10 will not be developed and improved anymore. It leaves some people wondering and hoping for a cool new update with new features and a new look, because some people are less informed about what's going on. Anyone who isn't a member of a site like CB pretty much won't know that their phone is now on its way to being outdated even if they just bought it yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    Is this the first time you've played with any computer software / hardware?
    01-06-16 01:09 PM
    Your presence here is evidence. There are millions of BB10 enthusiasts who prefer BB10 despite the availability of excellent Android and iOS devices.

There ARE millions more that are not BB10 users, who would prefer BB10 over Android or iOS devices.

Turning those 'strangers' into 'friends' is the action that BlackBerry Ltd. didn't take effectively. You can say it's impossible, but I think it's undeniable that BlackBerry spent too much time pursuing "unsuitable" customers i.e. app-chasers who would not be satisfied with the BlackBerry World app selection) rather than reaching out to those, like many BB10 enthusiasts, who have other outlets for "apps" and still want a powerful BB10 device for our daily driver for communications and Web browsing.

There is this nonsense that "nobody" wants to carry two devices. Some people WANT to carry two devices, yes, even though they can use their work device for personal stuff, they WANT that separation. Also, this idiotic notion that EVERYONE needs access to stupid social media crapps 24-7, rather than just a few minutes once or twice a day, at which point they pick up their otherwise idle Android or iOS device and snapchat their junk across the internet.

There are a significant number (millions!) of BB10 device users. That's not deniable. There are millions more that would prefer BB10 but BlackBerry couldn't manage to get them on board. That's BlackBerry management's failure... and it's not something that's in the past. Sure, iOS might eventually become enough like BB10 that it makes what is now BB10 obsolete, but there would still be a market for a device where every single interaction isn't "analytic-ed". Some people just like the idea of not doing business with huge mega corporations (American-based also), and BlackBerry could have had a sustainable market JUST with those people.

It's irrelevant because BlackBerry management has decided which road they're taking, and it's the apparently easy but actually not-so-easy road to relevance in Android handset development and software. I believe they've just raised the profile on their marginalization, and since the whole endgame is to be acquired by a deep-pocketed larger company, who gives an eff?
    I'm still not sure what this all means for BB10 going forward from here, which is what we are talking about.
    01-06-16 01:12 PM
    I think BB handsets will go the way of Beta Max too little to late, and high prices will do you in every time, coupled with the arrogance of we have a better idea!

WOOF!

I love my Passport, but in the end, why support a company that cannot commit to you. Or at least be honest.
    BetaMax; well, television studios continued to use BetaMax for archival purposes until 2007 or so. By your analogy enterprise will continue to use BB10 well into 2020.

BlackBerry is such a frustrating club to be a part of. While I do not personally feel that they owe me anything I do agree that they should be vocal, and honest, about their roadmaps and intentions. And for the love of everything Chen needs to step down as their public speaker. Isn't that Wilson's job, anyways? Why they are running a public company as if it were a private enterprise is beyond me. Perhaps that is how they do it up in Canada? But all of this keeping quiet, wait and see, and oftentimes ambiguity is only going to hurt them in the long run. If they just announce that BB10 is EOL, or that it will become a for enterprise-only OS, their stock price will rise, and some of us can move on sooner (or choose to stay). Either way, by saying something clear cut, will do more good than harm.

To be dead honest about it,

Even android phones would be not selling well after this Priv.

Simple, BlackBerry apps aren't great except maybe hub. Don't mention BBM it still lacks basic features.

Regards to BlackBerry 10, while android runtime upgrade is not possible but maybe making it perfect is possible with opening more api for developers to use for official apps.

But don't expect to see any BlackBerry 10 phones after 2016 and probably no BlackBerry phone after 2017.

First Co. I saw that had a following, backing, money and talent but still fail to understand what is wrong (Apps?)

Android isn't crap. You can have your own version and provide the experience. Just that they accepted android quite late.

Posted via CB10
    The Priv does not have to sell well. Neither will the Vienna if it is ever released. Android is a complete, mature, product with all the bells and whistles (expansive ecosystem, availability of cough cough drivers cough, etc. and an extremely large hobbyist/tinker fanbase, etc.), most of which come at a low cost if not free (or freely bargained for). While BlackBerry is definitely dropping $$$ on Android development it is still nowhere near what they would pay for maintaining, building, and updating, etc. of their own brand. Outside of the handset, everything with Android is already built; all BlackBerry has to do is put their own touch onto it. With the costs down all around, BlackBerry could sell less Privs and still bring in more money. Well, at least on paper. That is how Huawei, ZTE, Xioami, and Kyocera did it: low and slow at first (production runs of 40K or so handsets) and now look at where they are at. It took them a few years, though, and patience is something that BlackBerry seems to lack; who knows?

BlackBerry is excellent with innovation but suck at execution. The Hub on BB10 is good, maybe better than its Android counterpart at this point in time, but it is not great and likely never will be. The Hub on Android has the potential to become something it never could have been on BB10. Now, for better or worse I dunno, but just different. I mean, hypothetically they should be able to do more with Android than they could on BB10 without completely revamping the OS.

The trick for BlackBerry going forward will be this: how can they retain BlackBerry users on Android? Most of us will likely stick with the BlackBerry brand but some of us will not. For some, once they get a taste for Android they may venture off to a different brand altogether. Why upgrade to the Vienna (or would that be a downgrade?) from the Priv if they could get the ZenPhone 3 or whatever for $250 unlocked? Assuming that the pkb is not a requirement for them, that is.
    01-06-16 01:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing you missed the nearly $1 billion write off of unsold Z10 inventory.

Now I'm not saying that's our fault, it's definitely BlackBerry whose to blame for that one. But to say we've kept them afloat for the passed 3 years is absolutely ludicrous.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-06-16 01:30 PM
    I don't understand posts like this. My BB10 phone has been exceptional in every respect. Blackberry owes me nothing except to maintain BB10 in its current operating condition for the next couple of years.

I'm sorry you bought the wrong phone, buddy. But that's on you, not Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Don't call me buddy, I don't like you

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:40 PM
    I think it is almost certain that if the Priv flops they will shut down the hardware division.
    Sell-off to some Chinese company (FTFY)

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 02:11 PM
    I personally don't think BlackBerry owes any of us an apology for anything. The mobile phone market is cut-throat and I think they did their best. I seem to be a part of the minority here that likes the Priv; but alas, I digress. As another poster has stated, no one forced us to buy BlackBerry devices. Heck, I bought my Q10 when it first came out and loved it. Do I think I made the wrong choice then, just because that device is now discontinued and the company isn't at the top of the mobile device game? No. I wanted it, I bought it, BlackBerry provided me with a great device that served its purpose - that's all. The company doesn't owe me anything.
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    01-06-16 03:36 PM
    I think you hit on a fair point. If BlackBerry cannot just come out and say, OK OS 10 will be supported until this date just like MS does with its OS systems, than whats the point. If they are not going to support OS 10 for the long term, in today's world this means at least until 2017, then they should either discount the OS 10 phone stock or just eat them and take the right down. But Chen has a bad habit of not lying but not telling the truth either. I was looking on line about a few things Chen has stated, and back in 2015 around April, he was in the OS 10 camp, the new slider phone will be coming. So in the end it is what it is, a CEO that cannot just be honest but play games.
    01-06-16 03:45 PM
    I think you hit on a fair point. If BlackBerry cannot just come out and say, OK OS 10 will be supported until this date just like MS does with its OS systems, than whats the point. If they are not going to support OS 10 for the long term, in today's world this means at least until 2017, then they should either discount the OS 10 phone stock or just eat them and take the right down. But Chen has a bad habit of not lying but not telling the truth either. I was looking on line about a few things Chen has stated, and back in 2015 around April, he was in the OS 10 camp, the new slider phone will be coming. So in the end it is what it is, a CEO that cannot just be honest but play games.
    They have hardware inventory to sell... and Chen does not want to "clearance" it. Then too the have contractual obligations with some carriers that picked up the Passport, Classic and LEAP. Until those are done, they have to pretty much go on with business as usually. They said enough that in the future they can say... "well we told you there would just be two updates and that for developers this was it".

You know.... Chen may never say another word about BB10, the two updates may come and go. Devices will start to sell out and the line up will shrink and disappear over the next year. And Chen will just talk about the PRIV, Good and QNX... like he did at CES.

Maybe someone with a IQ will get to ask questions in June at the shareholders meeting.... but I that doesn't seem to be what happens.
    01-06-16 03:59 PM
    Another problem with this is that most people only want to haul around one device. BYOD has proven that.

Having to carry around one device to run a handful of specialised apps, and another one for everything else is a pain.
    I think the "multiple carry" situation is a little different than it was five years ago, when people were starting to add personal iPhones alongside their work BlackBerrys. Back then, the justification for two devices was access to Apple's App Store; now (and speaking only for myself) it's access to BlackBerry 10.

I bought a used iPad Mini for entertainment. I don't have any personal information on it, but it's handy for movies on long flights, where the BlackBerry 10 browsers aren't compatible with GoGo's inflight streaming. Other than that, the iPad stays in my bag. Sometimes I forget to charge it. In my opinion, it's not really any trouble to have the iPad, because (having spent a year with Android and having a spouse with an Android phone) BlackBerry 10 is so elegant and useful, there are so few things for which I can't use it.

THE DISCLAIMER: This is just my point of view, my interpretation of my observations. No one reading this should take my words as an insult, an insinuation of below-average intelligence, or an implication that the he or she a.) fails to appreciate reality, b.) doesn't understand the fundamentals of running a for-profit business, c.) is a complete or partial *****, or d.) worships Satan. Your mileage may vary. Past performance is not an indication of future profits. Ask your health care provider.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-06-16 04:06 PM
    Apparently OP#2 wants to carry 14 devices. I think that person represents 0.00000000000000000000001% of BB users. Most people buy a phone, use it, and then get a new one when it stops working effectively for them. This is kind of like going to see a movie 14 times and then blaming the movie studio when they don't match your enthusiasm and don't make a sequel.
    01-06-16 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe because they are not dropping the BlackBerry 10 that's why no apologies or thank yous.

Posted on CB10 on Z30, Z 10 10.3.2.2639
    01-06-16 06:11 PM
    Maybe because they are not dropping the BlackBerry 10 that's why no apologies or thank yous.
    It might be instructive to watch today's interview with Chen.

John Chen discusses BlackBerry's CES 2016 announcements, security and the smartphone market | CrackBerry.com

No BB10 devices in 2016.
    01-06-16 06:26 PM

John Chen discusses BlackBerry's CES 2016 announcements, security and the smartphone market | CrackBerry.com

No BB10 devices in 2016.
    Shocking!! Just shocking!!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-06-16 06:57 PM

No BB10 devices in 2016.
    That's been pretty obvious since the Priv was releases.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 07:11 PM
174 ... 23456 ...