At the risk of being an ***, my first thought when I read the heading on this thread was about the article I saw recently where a 27 year old got laid off recently. Whereupon his MOMMY called the boss and demanded to know why her boy had been laid off.

Seriously? A FORMAL APOLOGY? Maybe if we had been horribly wronged or somesuch, but because WE (with our own free wills!) purchased a device that unfortunately did not survive the competitive environment?

How about a formal apology for all those poor folk who bought Yugos back in the day?

I realize I'm been a bit of an *** here, but I really have difficulty with the attitude espoused in the OP.
    I'll start off by saying I have supported BlackBerry for 10 years now with multiple Bold models, PlayBooks, every BlackBerry 10 device they made and the Priv BUT for the exact reasons you stated above you are not being an ***, a formal apology from a company who hasn't even decided to kill the BB10 OS (information I received BlackBerry employees I know) would be absolutely ridiculous... even if they had already chosen to give up on BlackBerry 10 it is still a ridiculous notion because they did their best but the market spoke and sadly we didn't come out on the winning side, all these ideas for limited production runs are also ridiculous there's no way the company could find a cost effective way to do this profitably. I want the BlackBerry to survive even if that means their own operating system does not. We were not wronged and therefore do not deserve an apology, in my opinion the promise of bringing BlackBerry 10 to the PlayBook (which did not happen) was the only time BlackBerry actually screwed their loyal users over but that is a whole other can of worms. Anyway those are my two cents, a hard core BlackBerry fan and shareholder.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    01-08-16 06:09 AM
    So basically my Z10 will be my last BlackBerry (I'll use it until it literally dies on me)

So long BlackBerry, I always liked you for BB10 OS, not hardware. Now BlackBerries will just be very expensive (though good) Android phones. When (and if) my Z10 dies I'll move my two lines to a dual-sim Android or WP cheaper phone.

Greetings,
    Alex.
    01-08-16 07:43 AM
    An apology isnt necessary but I think clarification of their future strategy regarding BB10 device rollout is. If there are never going to be any more BB10 devices released then the OS is on lifesupport. If their hardware future is with Android then it is with Android. Not explictly stating it is a going to do more harm than good in the long term. I have a Z30 but am thinking of changing. I would love an all touch device, BB10 if possible. Do I hold out hope that we might get a new touch screen device or do I compromise and go elsewhere?
    1Criz and Vistaus like this.
    01-08-16 07:47 AM
    We kept BlackBerry's head above water these past 3 years by buying into their brand new OS10 phones. But now that they realize they'll never be profitable, we're left in quite the lurch. I know these phones won't "stop working" because of ended support aside from security updates, but man it upsets me, how we receive no official message from BlackBerry that BB10 will not be developed and improved anymore. It leaves some people wondering and hoping for a cool new update with new features and a new look, because some people are less informed about what's going on. Anyone who isn't a member of a site like CB pretty much won't know that their phone is now on its way to being outdated even if they just bought it yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    Because that isn't the case. All this talk about bb10 being dead is nothing but speculation.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    01-08-16 08:11 AM
    Because that isn't the case. All this talk about bb10 being dead is nothing but speculation.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    I think it may be a rung or two above "speculation". Chen has said two things lately:

1) No new BB10 device models in 2016 - which means it will be two years since the Leap (at the earliest)

2) At Code/Mobile in Oct he said he is confident that his Android will get the security certifications he wants, and if so, he may only need to keep the BB10 OS going for "at least a year".
    Velocitymj likes this.
    01-08-16 08:28 AM
    Why all the fuss about market share? Couldn't BB decide to be a niche player and downsize enough to retain a core staff which would keep working on BB10 upgrades - and still be profitable?
    Well, this is what they have been doing for the past 2 years. They ARE a niche player and HAVE downsized ALOT. and No, they can't be profitable with this strategy. Why not? Because there are only a handfull of people who what a BB10 device. The market has spoken. Time to move on.

" maybe BB could now arrange with Google to make more apps available to BB10 now that they are in a joint venture with the Priv"

Android apps already run on BB10. Noone cares.
    01-08-16 08:44 AM
    A lot of people disagree with you. About 99.97% of smartphone users to be precise.

Posted via CB10
    Sure Chuck, Whatever you say.
    01-08-16 11:38 AM
    Sure Chuck, Whatever you say.
    That's marketshare unfortunately, so it's verified. I hate it when that happens.
    01-09-16 05:43 AM
    Every "try" implies customers spending money on that "trial" platform. Something like: "ok guys, we know all of you spent money on BB10, but it's time to move on and spend even more money on Android". A couple of years later: "sorry again, but, guess what? forget about Android. We need you to spend money again on that new cr@p we're launching now"
    First and foremost it does not say anywhere that bb10 is or will be discontinued or that current bb10 will lose support. Merely blackberry has two platforms now. Android and bb10. Blackberry needs to sell so many phones each year so combined both and blackberry might break even or make money on hardware division
    01-09-16 09:12 AM
    First and foremost it does not say anywhere that bb10 is or will be discontinued or that current bb10 will lose support. Merely blackberry has two platforms now. Android and bb10. Blackberry needs to sell so many phones each year so combined both and blackberry might break even or make money on hardware division
    You know when you get dumped and the other person says we'll still be friends...." BlackBerry is now in a relationship with Android. Committed type comments from BlackBerry regarding BB10 is just because the other person hasn't got all their belongings out and the locks haven't been changed.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-09-16 05:25 PM
    You know when you get dumped and the other person says we'll still be friends...." BlackBerry is now in a relationship with Android. Committed type comments from BlackBerry regarding BB10 is just because the other person hasn't got all their belongings out and the locks haven't been changed.

Posted via CB10
    I think of it as more when Michael kissed Fredo on the lips.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-09-16 05:46 PM
    BlackBerry make two major mistakes: 1) They expected developers to jump on board and bring solutions. They needed to develop apps themselves; investing in their own platform which would have given more confidence to developers. You can't create a platform then just through it out there and say hey everyone make some apps for this.

2) No advertising. They expected great sales by using word of mouth and government contracts. You can't move a product if you do not show people it is out there. And you can't rely on one portion of the market. That's putting all your eggs in one basket.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VanAwful; 01-10-16 at 08:35 AM.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-09-16 08:33 PM
    BB10 was done by 2010. The market had coalesced by then and they weren't part of it.
    The Priv was done by 2015. The market had also coalesced.....

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:34 PM
    BlackBerry make two major mistakes: 1) They expected developers to jump on board and bring solutions. They needed to develop apps themselves; investing in their own platform which would have given more confidence to developers. You can create a platform then just through it out there and say hey everyone make some apps for this.

2) No advertising. They expected great sales by using word of mouth and government contracts. You can't move a product if you do not show people it is out there. And you can't rely on one portion of the market. That's putting all your eggs in one basket.

Posted via CB10
    1) Not sure if you're informed on this as it sounds like you're not. They reached out to everyone, even offering BB developers to help with the porting and programming. They offered $10k to app makers if their app didn't produce. They had proof of concepts documented for using bluetooth and NFC and other things that developers could do. They demo'd music apps to show the realtime functionality. BB10 has more functionality out of the box than Android or iOS, that heavily rely on third party apps. They made their own file sharing apps (File Manager integration with Box, Dropbox, OneDrive), and their own social apps (twitter, facebook, etc). The problem is, there are limits to the API's that these companies offer, and they did what they could. Again. your answer without specifics seems ignorant of 2012-2013 and what actually transpired.

2) They advertised, just poorly. They advertised at the Super Bowl, for Christs sake.They advertised less and less, but they did try at the start, just poorly. They didn't do stupid things like $10 million Jay-Z payoffs, but they did stupid stuff like hire Alicia Keyes. I would definitely say there is a double digit percentage of blame on crap advertising.

Overall, there is really only room for two ecosystems. More than that, and it's just too much for many companies to handle. That pretty much trumps everything that was done right or wrong, and Microsoft, Firefox, Amazon, Sailfish, etc are all proof of that.
    raseru03 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    01-09-16 10:41 PM
    The Priv was done by 2015. The market had also coalesced.....

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry is a very arrogant company. You won't get an apology from them. Especially from JC, all you can do is speak with your wallet.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-23-17 07:49 AM
    I mean, it's not like you bought a brand new phone on release day, and they stopped supporting it before your 2-year contract was even up. Most BB10 devices are 3 or more years out from their initial release. Plenty of Android OEMs stop issuing updates to their devices within similar timeframes. So I wouldn't think BBRY would issue any sort of apology, and I really don't think they need to.
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    04-23-17 12:56 PM
    I mean, it's not like you bought a brand new phone on release day, and they stopped supporting it before your 2-year contract was even up. Most BB10 devices are 3 or more years out from their initial release. Plenty of Android OEMs stop issuing updates to their devices within similar timeframes. So I wouldn't think BBRY would issue any sort of apology, and I really don't think they need to.
    Sorry, but last update created more problems than improvements (nobody expected an ohhhh effect). BlackBerry said that is investigating, but JC is silent on this. To me this man is not serious. BlackBerry is not a charity organization, but for sure a business company with success and with an amazing past. If JC wants to remain in the mediocrity of the level of last past CEOs, he is doing well. People with Priv are waiting for nougat....how long should they wait? Any declaration on this? I wish my words can be faced by positive and opposite statement from BlackBerry. What is sure, is that this company had a solid customer base, but is losing it. My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 01:38 PM
    I feel exactly the opposite of the OP. I am grateful to BlackBerry for the past four years of exceptional service by my BB10 phones. My Z10 and Passport have done everything I've asked of them and more.

Most importantly, BlackBerry rescued me from the locked down hell of iOS and the hot mess of Android pre- Marshmallow/Nougat.

During my four years with BB10 I've sent well over 250K professional messages across 6 business accounts, maintained all of my PIM data segregated by client account, and generally worked without a hitch for four very productive years.

I wish BB10 had been more successful, so that BlackBerry had continued to add features and improve it, but I have absolutely no regrets about my decision to adopt it, and I am very appreciative of John Chen pulling the company out of the inverted flat spin it was in by late 2013.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 and anon(2313227) like this.
    04-23-17 11:10 PM
    At least they upgrade video call for BBM in bb10, ios and android bbm version still better than bb10 itself.

Post via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-24-17 12:40 AM
    Do an inventory of your belongings.

Did your car manufacturer send you a note of thanks for purchasing their product?
    Your stove manufacturer?
    Your TV manufacturer?
    Your stereo system manufacturer?
    Did you get a letter of apology from the maker of your VHS tape machine when you went to DVDs? Oh, wait, YOU didn't apologize to the VHS manufacturer when you bought a DVD player instead of more VHS tapes, movies and a machine? SHAME ON YOU.

Seriously, grow up.
    04-24-17 09:03 AM
    You use a product because it suits you. If it doesn't the company that you bought from doesn't OWE you anything and vice versa.
    As some people here have said. I don't recall Apple sending out apologies for Newton either. If the device sold to you works as it was intended what exactly do they owe you an apology for?
    04-24-17 09:12 AM
    You use a product because it suits you. If it doesn't the company that you bought from doesn't OWE you anything and vice versa.
    As some people here have said. I don't recall Apple sending out apologies for Newton either. If the device sold to you works as it was intended what exactly do they owe you an apology for?
    The fact is that even with an apology , it would not change anything. I am not that happy with JC bb10 management ( see the last update), but we cannot change the things. Bb10 was supported for 4 years...it is not short time. For sure it could have been improved recently to keep on going well, but BlackBerry decided in another way. I am not really tempted by BlackBerry smartphones, or better, I am not sure they will get a long term support, since I do not trust the BlackBerry management. So, I would not buy one so far. I think that the old good days of BlackBerry are gone. I always wish they will be back asap, but for now....i do not see them not even far! In the future!
    04-24-17 02:47 PM
    Um... we're still waiting on the bronze Classic...
    Plus the white Priv
    04-25-17 01:14 AM
174 ... 567