Isn't that what every company does. "Hey, glad you bought the iPhone 6, but here's our new 6S that blows it out of the water", or "glad your enjoying your 55" Sony Smart TV, but we're replacing it with a new 60" running Android TV". That's kind of how a business works.

Posted via CB10
    No it's not the same. My beloved 15 years old Sony TV is still working. I could get a new one (an upgrade), but what I have is still working. So, that upgrade is optional. The "platform" I use to keep my old TV alive is still working (cable provider, DVD player, etc). That means, I could buy another 15 years old TV and it will work like a charm.
    The same goes with the iPhone. Moving from iPhone 5, to 5s, to 6, to 6s, is just upgrading. Same platform, same OS, just different version. Those apps you got on your iPhone 5 will be available on the iPhone 6s.
    Moving from BB10 to Android is not an upgrade, is a platform change, because the previous one will be dead in 10 or 5 years (maybe less).
    01-07-16 12:06 PM
    Now you know how PlayBook users felt. And all you guys just told us "get over it." Do I need to quote Scotty?
    remmo, AcADIeN, lift and 2 others like this.
    01-07-16 12:23 PM
    The Priv is no magic pullet, or a guarantee of success by any means. But...

We can all agree that having devices rounds out BlackBerry's EMM offering by providing an end-to-end solution. At least with Android, they can dump OS development and get away with selling around 3 million devices instead of 10 million BB10 devices to break even. If they are willing to take a small loss to help other lines of business, that may even go down to 2 million.

We'll know in 6 months.
    The irony here is that after (finally) about 12 million BB10 devices sold, as Blackberry is in a position to turn a decent profit on their BB10 investment, Chen announces he is pulling the plug completely on new BB10 devices. Maybe not that a smart a move if Chen's only goal with devices is ROI and with still millions of Blackberry customers on OS10 looking for an upgrade.
    01-07-16 12:32 PM
    No, the topic title is "No Official Apology or Thanks for us BB10 Users" and the OP established the topic as "BB screwed us" and people like yourself chime in with "but it's unsustainable" as if it's pertinent.
    The OP seemed upset that BlackBerry betrayed him by discontinuing BB10, and wanted an apology for "leaving him in a lurch".

My response of "should they continue to make BB10 devices at a loss to satisfy a small group of users?" seemed somewhat within the realm of on topic to me.

He responded to me, and I was fine with that.
    Last edited by conite; 01-07-16 at 12:52 PM.
    01-07-16 12:38 PM
    Fool me once (Playbook), shame on you, fool me twice (BB10), shame on me...
    remmo and lift like this.
    01-07-16 02:04 PM
    Fool me once (Playbook), shame on you, fool me twice (BB10), shame on me...
    Ah, got the Scotty reference
    AcADIeN likes this.
    01-07-16 02:08 PM
    Every "try" implies customers spending money on that "trial" platform. Something like: "ok guys, we know all of you spent money on BB10, but it's time to move on and spend even more money on Android". A couple of years later: "sorry again, but, guess what? forget about Android. We need you to spend money again on that new cr@p we're launching now"
    So buy an iPhone. Or in the case of Android I have bought Android that was as close as possible to generic since buying one that wasn't updated by the carrier and getting burned by that. BB10 failed. The company didn't want it to but it did. It happens.
    01-07-16 02:52 PM
    When BB10 came out there were so many people on this site trashing it (which probably didn't help sales !), and now I think a lot are coming to the realization that BB10 is actually very, very good.
    When BB10 came out it was a pretty pathetic bare bones OS especially if you include the Playbook in that.
    01-07-16 02:54 PM
    Drama Queens.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 02:55 PM
    No. Did I say I had a better idea? No. Was I merely sharing my thoughts on the situation? Yes

Posted via CB10
    Will an apology get your money back? If it doesn't, then why would you want one?
    01-07-16 03:03 PM
    So BB is just going out of the consumer products business - guess we'll just have to face facts.
    01-07-16 05:02 PM
    When BB10 came out it was a pretty pathetic bare bones OS especially if you include the Playbook in that.
    I loved it out of the box, and then it got better, IMO. But I acknowledge that the vast majority of people like using lots of apps on their phones and care more about the ecosystem than the device's "out of the box" functionality.

Every now and then I try to spend a day with my iPad or Samsung Note that I use for testing, but the experiment never lasts more than about thirty minutes before I realize I'm not able to work as quickly on the tasks I actually need to get done. Just the basics of email handling, messaging and web browsing frustrate me endlessly on iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 05:31 PM
    Why is BlackBerry so bad in marketing.

Why not saying you will get this year one extra Android device and will be focussing till the end of the year with the BlackBerry Classic, Passport and Leap for the BlackBerry 10 devices and tell that there could me some new variations. That could be a new color or just a bundle deal with 64 GB SD Card and a Cradle to charge your phone . Also tell they are exiting to get the new update out for BB10 and Android 6 in the same period and that you eager to support both os for google service users wanted more google apps on the Priv and BB10 for users wanted more security with Android supported apps and BlackBerry native apps on BlackBerry 10 devices.
    01-07-16 06:15 PM

Why not saying you will get this year one extra Android device and will be focussing till the end of the year with the BlackBerry Classic, Passport and Leap for the BlackBerry 10 devices and tell that there could me some new variations. That could be a new color or just a bundle deal with 64 GB SD Card and a Cradle to charge your phone . Also tell they are exiting to get the new update out for BB10 and Android 6 in the same period and that you eager to support both os for google service users wanted more google apps on the Priv and BB10 for users wanted more security with Android supported apps and BlackBerry native apps on BlackBerry 10 devices.
    Might have worked in 2010. Way to late for BB10 now
    01-07-16 06:25 PM
    Say what you will, the Priv will look very nice resting between the PlayBook and Leap in the BlackBerry Museum scheduled to open in 2017.
    remmo and lift like this.
    01-07-16 06:31 PM
    This news is shocking yet it isn't. I don't like that BlackBerry went the Android route for the forceable future. I bought in the hook, line and sinker with the Playbook. It was half baked with broken promises. When BlackBerry killed the Playbook I was torn because I didn't get my monies worth. I purchased the Z10 the day AT&T released them. I started to have issues with my Z10 to the point I was on my 3rd phone. (They all died of blue screen/ overheating) I jumped ship and started to follow the sheep (iPhone) since the Priv wasn't available yet. I'm not a fan of Android so the Priv wasn't something I was going to want but was willing to play with it. I'm glad I have an iPhone because the apps that I used on my Z10 side loaded using Snap, work SOOOOO much better on my iPhone, the battery life is much better and I feel more connected with news and information. My only complaint is I can't multitask like I used to on my Blackberry.

Blackberry would still be the best if they kept up with the trends. They fell way behind and couldn't catch up.
    lift likes this.
    01-07-16 06:57 PM

Um... we're still waiting on the bronze Classic...
    01-07-16 08:21 PM
    I feel the same way. I had more than 14 BB10 devices over the last couple of years. I like all touch devices more but I bought some PKB devices too just to see if I could get myself to like them better. Never happened. But overall I really loved using BB10. Now I feel like BlackBerry just threw all the Loyal BlackBerry followers under the bus with their move to android. In my opinion the move did 2 things.
    1) It killed their BB10 device sales because nobody wants to buy a phone that they feel will no longer be supported or become obsolete in the very near future.
    2) Killed app development for BB10 even more now because of what I stated in number 1. What developer is going to keep developing apps on a dying platform. So the app gap gets worse.
    The Priv is never going to sell enough devices to make up for the falling sales of BB10 devices so in the end, BlackBerry killed themselves by moving to android.
    That's the only "Thanks" that us BB10 loyal users are going to get. We kept the company afloat as you said, and now it's "don't let the door hit you on the way out".
    I disagree. I think they will sell enough to drop any bb user who won't switch and make enough to make the switch to Android worth it.
    01-07-16 08:21 PM
    I disagree. I think they will sell enough to drop any bb user who won't switch and make enough to make the switch to Android worth it.
    You seem to always disagree with me. That's fine. Only the future knows which one of us is right.
    01-07-16 09:23 PM
    You seem to always disagree with me. That's fine. Only the future knows which one of us is right.
    A lot of people disagree with you. About 99.97% of smartphone users to be precise.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 09:27 PM
    BlackBerry did not 'kill themselves' by moving to Android. In fact, I'm quite positive the move to Android was for the exact opposite reason. It was done to keep building devices. Period. So it was Android or nothing. They also moved to Android to make them more money on each sale. That's it. That's all.

Even if BlackBerry 10 is better, which it is in many ways, they couldn't afford to continue with that alone. I'm glad they secured Android and built the PRIV so I (we) can continue to use BlackBerry devices at all.
    01-08-16 12:41 AM
    BlackBerry is the only OEM I trust to buy their Android device. Yep, that's right. So, I'm really glad they built the PRIV, otherwise I would be left searching for some weird, obscure platform like Jolla/Sailfish - who is also in some trouble lately and had to find new investors. Jolla 'backers' still don't have their tablet. Tough market.
    01-08-16 12:51 AM
    I'm glad I moved to Windows Phone (now Windows 10 Mobile) more than 2 years ago. I only had 1 BB10 device, the Z10, but after BBRY did not keep the promise of updating the Playbook to BB10, I realize that we were used as beta testers. Now BBRY itself has dumped its own BB10 OS, and that move just confirmed that I was right. In a couple of years, and after countless (and futile) hole fixes and security concerns, maybe BBRY will return to BB10 (or maybe they will adopt Symbian or LG's webOS or whatever), then they will dump Android users as well. So, the only strategy BBRY will keep over the years is pissing off their customers base over and over. Brilliant!!!
    'Cause Nokia and MS did deliver all promised Win Phone updates? Really? Have a gander at the Windows Phone 7 fiasco: they promised the update to 8, then it changed to a half *** 7.8 update and then it stopped leaving people with a buggy 7.8 release.
    Then they promised 10 for every 8 device and now they stated that some devices will be excluded. But the 7.8 was the worst.

If you're so into promises, then you should at least admit that MS didn't deliver well either.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    01-08-16 12:59 AM
    They don't care,so I won't care when I turn my head away. I can't believe that BlackBerry isn't going to release any BlackBerry 10 devices in 2016, which is actually the deadline I set for myself. It is actually quite good to know about this since I can put all my money on p9984 and then just walk away. If you like numbers to be good, that is fine. I can stop caring.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 03:41 AM
    I just read, that Chen announced 1-2 more Android Phones this year. If things go well, and there'll be still people demanding OS10, then another "classic" BlackBerry could be produced.
    01-08-16 05:54 AM
174 ... 4567