Nothing new to see here. It is the same thing a lot of us have been say for a couple years now.
    CrackBerry.txt
    04-09-17 01:40 AM
    Semantics....blackberry never physically ever made any of their hardware.(well at least not in the last recently known history , don't know if RIM did either)...outsourced it. So now they license it, okay. Can't imagine the Billion(s) they spent on BB10 would go to complete dust, other than maintainence support...maybe there will never be another bb10 device, but I don't see where it has been completely, and definitively ruled out (including that screen shot answer), the future of OS'es take surprising turns sometimes.
    ...maybe they'll be a knight-rider device associated with someones ride? LOL. After all why just leave all that tech in the car, when you lock it....or ...there are many-markets on the globe with diff't requirements and price-points...and qnx (BB10) and android share much in common, except qnx is more robust.
    It's not semantics at all. Blackberry had to buy and stock all of those phones/tablets before. They had 100% hardware liability, which is why they had multiple 10-figure writeoffs during their decline. Anything going further will be BB software installed on somebody else's hardware, just like the DTEK phones. Blackberry supports the software but somebody else is on the hook for unsold inventory.

The billions they spent on BB10 is past tense. They aren't going to spend billions more trying to make that up. That's like a gambler who doesn't know when to quit.
    04-09-17 09:04 AM
    Semantics....blackberry never physically ever made any of their hardware.(well at least not in the last recently known history , don't know if RIM did either)...outsourced it. So now they license it, okay. Can't imagine the Billion(s) they spent on BB10 would go to complete dust, other than maintainence support...maybe there will never be another bb10 device, but I don't see where it has been completely, and definitively ruled out (including that screen shot answer), the future of OS'es take surprising turns sometimes.
    ...maybe they'll be a knight-rider device associated with someones ride? LOL. After all why just leave all that tech in the car, when you lock it....or ...there are many-markets on the globe with diff't requirements and price-points...and qnx (BB10) and android share much in common, except qnx is more robust.
    Is Android a "Real Time Operating System"?

As far as I can remember BlackBerry 10 operating system is a "RTOS".

That is why I think BlackBerry 10 performs the way it does.

Peace.

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoLz!!!
    04-09-17 11:10 AM

Peace.

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoLz!!!
    BB10 being an RTOS and Android not being an RTOS sounds really great but is effectively no big deal at all and in some ways a liability.

No more Launch of  BlackBerry 10 OS  Devices  with proof.-x1s8v.jpg
    04-09-17 11:31 AM

Peace.

I really don't think being "real time" or not means anything on a mobile device. Certainly not on a cell phone.

And, honestly, BB10 performance is not all that great. Sure, it works well with native apps, but I can still find ways to inadvertently stall it.

Joel
    04-09-17 11:49 AM
    Move on
    04-09-17 12:15 PM
    If you read between the lines (in between Kind Regards and BlackBerry Support), you can see they are leaving it open to a Passport 2 with 7.1 Android run time and Lithuanian support.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    04-09-17 01:36 PM
    BB10 being an RTOS and Android not being an RTOS sounds really great but is effectively no big deal at all and in some ways a liability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X1S8V.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	421003
    Ok. No worries. Perhaps it is just my way justifying to myself on why I chose BlackBerry in the first place.

Since obviously BlackBerry 10 is now dead in the water, I suppose it it indeed time to move on to a different platform when my BlackBerry 10 devices truly reaches the EOL for my needs.

Sony-Jolla perhaps will get my first crack at any mobile device that I purchase after BlackBerry 10.

If it does not work out, then it is off to Apple iPhone 7 for me.

No Android for me. No Blackdroid for me.

It is a choice that I have decided on for my mobility preference.

I respect the choice of others who will be going Android or BlackDroid.

Peace.

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoL
    DrBoomBotz and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    04-09-17 05:45 PM
    Ok. No worries. Perhaps it is just my way justifying to myself on why I chose BlackBerry in the first place.

Since obviously BlackBerry 10 is now dead in the water, I suppose it it indeed time to move on to a different platform when my BlackBerry 10 devices truly reaches the EOL for my needs.

Sony-Jolla perhaps will get my first crack at any mobile device after BlackBerry 10.

If it does not work out, then it is off to Apple.

No Android for me. No Blackdroid for me.

It is a choice that I have decided on for my mobility preference.

I respect the choice of others who will be going Android or BlackDroid.

Peace.

You have earned my respect.
    Good on ya!
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 04-09-17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: No
    04-09-17 05:47 PM
    Blackberry is currently pushing QNX (the underlying UNIX-like OS they purchased to serve as the core OS underneath the BB10 GUI) as a platform for secure smart devices, such as autonomous cars, etc. If any part of their BB10 investment has a future, it would probably be in the embedded systems sphere.
    05-03-17 12:07 PM
    Blackberry is currently pushing QNX (the underlying UNIX-like OS they purchased to serve as the core OS underneath the BB10 GUI) as a platform for secure smart devices, such as autonomous cars, etc. If any part of their BB10 investment has a future, it would probably be in the embedded systems sphere.
    You aren't wrong, but QNX has been in the embedded sector for decades. You wouldn't know that except BlackBerry was until recently a highly consumer focused company. That is changing. Two out of four units have consumer focus (BBM and handset software (Android)). Unified Endpoint Management is enterprise focused, this is where any residual interest in supporting BB10 lies. And of course QNX.

Unfortunately there isn't much that BB10 can bring to QNX business, any more than Android brings much to Red Hat Enterprise. To the extent that embedded systems need user interfaces they are typically going to follow the majority user preference and go with Android Auto or Apple Carplay if not both. For other systems most of QNX support is in providing Android UI integration. This is where the majority of developer experience lies. IoT offerings like Radar don't have an on device UI.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    05-03-17 04:17 PM
    You aren't wrong, but QNX has been in the embedded sector for decades. You wouldn't know that except BlackBerry was until recently a highly consumer focused company. That is changing. Two out of four units have consumer focus (BBM and handset software (Android)). Unified Endpoint Management is enterprise focused, this is where any residual interest in supporting BB10 lies. And of course QNX.

Unfortunately there isn't much that BB10 can bring to QNX business, any more than Android brings much to Red Hat Enterprise. To the extent that embedded systems need user interfaces they are typically going to follow the majority user preference and go with Android Auto or Apple Carplay if not both. For other systems most of QNX support is in providing Android UI integration. This is where the majority of developer experience lies. IoT offerings like Radar don't have an on device UI.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    ok I`m currently in the market for a new device and BB10 would best serve my needs . I1m of course concerned about the future of BB10... Thing is , Chen and Thurber refuse to EOL B10 . They won`t commit to a new device but they also say that if they can make a licensing deal and it sells well enough and if the device brings something new and interesting to the table , that a new BB10 device would be done. Thoughts ?
    10-05-17 02:25 PM
    ok I`m currently in the market for a new device and BB10 would best serve my needs . I1m of course concerned about the future of BB10... Thing is , Chen and Thurber refuse to EOL B10 . They won`t commit to a new device but they also say that if they can make a licensing deal and it sells well enough and if the device brings something new and interesting to the table , that a new BB10 device would be done. Thoughts ?
    BlackBerry tried licensing BB10 years ago... NOBODY was and is interested.
    glwerry likes this.
    10-05-17 02:42 PM
    You need to understand that Chen and Thurber have ABSOLUTELY ZERO HOPE OR INTENTIONS FOR BB10... BUT, they cannot publicly admit this at this stage, because it would FORCE some existing clients (mostly companies) to switch away from BB services, and this would result in a sudden loss of revenues. BB's transition to software is still in the early stages from a business perspective, and doing anything to disrupt the cashflow is a bad idea.

They also understand that EOLing BB10 officially would anger some existing customers - and many of those customers will quietly drift away from BB on their own as time goes by, rather than having a huge protest that might get media coverage.

There is simply zero upside to making it official for BB - they don't have anything to sell to consumers, so they wrote off any "future" with consumers, and they likely aren't making any significant money from handset brand-licensing, so they're not worried about losing some of that revenue either (they realize it will happen either way). So, they play the game and occasionally dangle out some vague HOPE for the BB10 fans even though there is obviously no intention of following through. They "kick the can down the road" a ways and - a couple of years from now, when they FINALLY make it official, and there are 3 dozen BB10 devices still active, they can say "well, sorry, it didn't work out."

There's no future for BB10 - none. Use it for as long as you like, but it will never get better, and will certainly get worse as the tech world continues to evolve and leave BB10 behind.
    StephanieMaks and ume_kun like this.
    10-05-17 03:00 PM
64 123