Given that BlackBerry will now no longer spend time on developing it's own hardware, but rather outsource is, does it mean that the BB10 OS is also stopped? Given that Chen is now moving BlackBerry toward a software company, it should mean that they must have more time to develop the BB10 OS... or not?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 09:48 PM
    bb10 development stopped long ago. Security fixes and minor other patches will be all you see from here out
    JeepBB, glwerry, BB-JAM215 and 4 others like this.
    10-02-16 09:51 PM
    BlackBerry phones with BB 10 os are dead. Development from BlackBerry is dead. If there are any updates they will minor and not add anything of value.

Blackberry has abandoned it's user base 100%, it is dead. Even the projected Android devices are dead.

Developer's will just leave.

Enjoy while can but it is time to plan on a new smartphone now.

 BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    10-02-16 11:44 PM
    What matters is users. If there were a lot of people buying BB10, there would be some manufacturer, at least one, preparing to build devices and license BB10. But does anyone see that? Maybe it's over the horizon and we can't see it yet. I strongly doubt it.

But the same goes for BlackBerry's Android. If users don't want to be seen using a BlackBerry, there won't be any more Android devices with a BlackBerry logo on them, either.

Caveat: Posted using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876

I'll use BB10 as long as I can.
    10-03-16 06:07 AM
    BB10 is software. BlackBerry is a software company. It is not out of the realm of possibility that minimal support for BB10 will continue, at least for another couple years. If enough of their existing BB10 customers in government, financial, and other high-security sectors demand it, perhaps we might even see another BB10 device in the future.

Until they officially announce BB10 is EOL, which they haven't, anything is possible.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    10-03-16 07:00 AM
    This idea that government, financial, etc.--those with security needs--can change anything with regard to to BlackBerry is not reality. It was these users that grew BlackBerry, yes, but there has never been a huge consumer demand for BlackBerry. I know. I was there using BlackBerry as my personal device when everyone else was using a BlackBerry (employer issued) or a regular mobile phone; and those using regular mobile phones or feature phones, in mass they went for iPhone and Android when those platforms came on the market. In my circle 9 out of 10 went iPhone and never used a BlackBerry, and the others went Android, never using a BlackBerry.

What's more, those users people think are natural BlackBerry customers--government, etc--they have left or are leaving BlackBerry. If just these were sticking with BlackBerry, it would probably be enough, I think, but they aren't. I know from personal experience as I once carried a personal and an employer-issed BlackBerry. But if you travel, just look around. It has been this way for a number of years now. It's a big deal for me if I see a BlackBerry, and it happens now almost never.

I make these observations with sadness. It brings me no glee to say these things.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 (personal device), and some iPhone (employer issued, on enterprise)
    10-03-16 09:02 AM
    How difficult is it to load BB10 on any mobile device? In theory, can it be loaded on any mobile phone with extra tweaks?

Surely BlackBerry didn't create a unique hardware that its OS is written for exclusively...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-03-16 02:02 PM
    How difficult is it to load BB10 on any mobile device? In theory, can it be loaded on any mobile phone with extra tweaks?

Surely BlackBerry didn't create a unique hardware that its OS is written for exclusively...

It can be loaded on a phone, provided that:
    1. QNX device drivers exist for all hardware in the phone
    2. Screen resolution/etc. are supported by BB10 (1280x720 essentially)

Now, point A is why most of the BB10 library has identical internals; Qualcomm's cost/benefit analysis of QNX drivers for several different platforms didn't work out in BlackBerry's favor. Point B is also sticky, unless one pays developers BlackBerry doesn't have with money BlackBerry doesn't have to spend time BlackBerry doesn't have to redesign every asset to support 1080p/1440p/whatever.
    app_Developer and Mecca EL like this.
    10-03-16 02:08 PM

As far as I know... there are "keys" that all autoloader look for befroe installing... Don't know of anyone installing BB10 on a non-BlackBerry devcies. Heck we can't even install an older version of BB10 over a newer one if BlackBerry locks it out.

Many like to hope and put faith it what might be possible for BB10... even after hardware is ended.

But evidence over the last 18 months and past history is a much better gage of what is in store for BB10 users. Enjoy it while you can.

Some of use PlayBook owners have moved on.... but there are still a few holdouts that seem to be happy.
    10-04-16 12:08 PM
    BB10 - the best OS for 2005. Get it developed and offered before Google or Apple builds out their platform.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-04-16 01:14 PM
    I'd say that BB10 is almost certainly orphaned. Any mobile OS requires a ton of updates just to stay current so unless you're making hardware there is no way to pay for it. It's destined to join webOS pretty soon as a mythical great OS.
    10-04-16 01:18 PM
    WebOS, BB10 and the Pontiac Fiero....LOL

10-04-16 01:21 PM
    WebOS, BB10 and the Pontiac Fiero....LOL

Wait... Where's Symbian?

*ME173X
    10-04-16 02:18 PM
    So in a way, now that hardware development is outsourced, it'd also be easier to determine the design that would fit best for QNX (essentially BB10), due to the knowledge of hardware compatibility from the drivers point of view. Right?

Aren't most mobile hardware components written as a QNX driver? Knowing that QNX is supposedly strong in embedded devices? Or is the hardware components industry far more complex that I imagine...

10-04-16 02:26 PM
    So in a way, now that hardware development is outsourced, it'd also be easier to determine the design that would fit best for QNX (essentially BB10), due to the knowledge of hardware compatibility from the drivers point of view. Right?

Aren't most mobile hardware components written as a QNX driver? Knowing that QNX is supposedly strong in embedded devices? Or is the hardware components industry far more complex that I imagine...

more complex than you think. The key component, the processor, doesnt have the drivers available unless you go back several generations of Qualcomm releases.
    10-04-16 02:29 PM

Consumer device requirements aren't the same as embedded device requirements.

For example, Ford's 3rd generation Sync (which uses QNX) still uses a 2013-era Texas Instruments OMAP 5; keep in mind, the OMAP 4 was what underpins the PlayBook, Dev Alpha A/B and STL100-1. To be competitive in the mobile space requires hardware much more flexible than an ancient TI chip stuck in a dashboard; 3D graphics, up-to-date cellular radio capabilities, power efficiency, etc.
    10-04-16 02:34 PM

It's complex, which is why BlackBerry only used three different chipsets across eight products.... And that's if the S4 Pro and S4 Plus needed different drivers - which I would not think would be necessary. But then why not use the Pro in the LEAP and Classic... did they really have so many of the S4 already bought?

Personally I doubt the hardware drivers would be too big of an issue... yeah it would cost a little more, but that could be factored in. What there is no way to factor in... is how do customers get apps? Say next week Google patches the play store and SNAP and Cobalts solutions go away? Never mind where do you imagine cost would be to pickup BB10 development again... for LINK, Android Runtime, Developer Support for apps, Factory Support for customers... there is a reason that Chen first said BB10 needed to sell 10 million phones to be profitable. It's a very expensive undertaking.

As Bla1ze said... if we see BB10 again it will be as a dumbed down security device. Probable running the 801 Chipset that would be considered a "value" in today's market.
    10-04-16 03:10 PM
    What there is no way to factor in... is how do customers get apps? Say next week Google patches the play store and SNAP and Cobalts solutions go away? Never mind where do you imagine cost would be to pickup BB10 development again... for LINK, Android Runtime, Developer Support for apps, Factory Support for customers... there is a reason that Chen first said BB10 needed to sell 10 million phones to be profitable. It's a very expensive undertaking.
    Actually, even that is almost certainly irrelevant, because given that BB has licensed GMS and the Play Store, they can no longer OFFER an Android Runtime in BB10 - even to a licensee. So, if a licensee wants BB10, then BB10 (with no Android Runtime) is all they're gonna get. And that means no Android apps at all - not from Google Play, not from Amazon Market, not even packaged/converted apps in BB World. Only native Cascades apps would be available - and suddenly the app world would be a whole lot lonelier.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    10-04-16 09:39 PM
    But if these licensee subscribe to the robustness of the OS and its potential at the hardware level, application developers should jump on the bandwagon. Of course, the initial ones would be from the licensee or their group of partners...

Is it difficult to develop on BB10 platform compared to iOS or Android? If the barrier to entry is as easy or easier, it should gain traction quite well...

It all depends on execution of course...which we know wasn't BB's forte in the (how long?) past...or is...

10-05-16 03:27 PM
    But if these licensee subscribe to the robustness of the OS and its potential at the hardware level, application developers should jump on the bandwagon. Of course, the initial ones would be from the licensee or their group of partners...
    Don't get too worked up about it... there won't be any licensees, so what they might have thought about BB10 or not is irrelevant.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 08:09 PM

Is it difficult to develop on BB10 platform compared to iOS or Android? If the barrier to entry is as easy or easier, it should gain traction quite well...

It all depends on execution of course...which we know wasn't BB's forte in the (how long?) past...or is...
    App developers will jump on board if and only if a whole bunch of people buy BB10 phones. Every other factor is secondary.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 08:52 PM
    Don't get too worked up about it... there won't be any licensees, so what they might have thought about BB10 or not is irrelevant.
    How do you know there won't be any licensees?

10-05-16 10:02 PM
    How do you know there won't be any licensees?

Common sense, business priorities and the fact that unicorns and leprechauns are not mutually exclusive. Duh.....

JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 10:21 PM
    Common sense, business priorities and the fact that unicorns and leprechauns are not mutually exclusive. Duh.....

Ah, so you don't know. Got it.

10-05-16 11:03 PM
    Ah, so you don't know. Got it.
    You're right, I don't know it. It's only 99.9% certain - so there's still a chance.
    JeepBB and The_Passporter like this.
    10-05-16 11:08 PM
90 123 ...