How do I limit android ports from BBWORLD from, say, accessing data on my SD card or contact list?

I would rather not use an app that can arbitrarily access my device data, but it seems that android apps with social features can't have their granular permissions disabled either before or after installation... all the toggle switches are set to ON but disabled (touching to turn off has no apparent effect)

So... is it a condition of using an android port that I have to settle for their access privileges to my data, or can I control it?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 02:19 PM
    There's not much you can do. The difference between BlackBerry and other OS's is it asks for permission whereas other OS's generally assume permission.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 03:07 PM
    Usually you can limit the permissions on android ports but if they are locked then that's basically down to a lazy dev who just did a quick port of their app to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 05:29 PM
    Basically, you have to decide how much trust you're going to put in the app publisher, because if you don't give an app the permissions it requests, there's no guarantee it will function at all.

I know many people are leery of this, but I'll reinforce (again) that not just anybody can set up an account in BB World, and BB requires each vendor to put identification on file. Presumably, if someone misuses customer data, they can be held accountable.

It's simple enough: don't install an app that requests more permissions than you're prepared to grant.

One other thing: I've seen an unfortunate tendency for users to give one-star ratings to apps just because they don't like the permissions requested, which I think is unfair.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-23-13 05:37 PM
    Basically, you have to decide how much trust you're going to put in the app publisher, because if you don't give an app the permissions it requests, there's no guarantee it will function at all.

I know many people are leery of this, but I'll reinforce (again) that not just anybody can set up an account in BB World, and BB requires each vendor to put identification on file. Presumably, if someone misuses customer data, they can be held accountable.

It's simple enough: don't install an app that requests more permissions than you're prepared to grant.

One other thing: I've seen an unfortunate tendency for users to give one-star ratings to apps just because they don't like the permissions requested, which I think is unfair.
    I sort of agree with you, but I sorta don't. You're right...the culprit is most likely a lazy developer, and as a result, should get a lower rating than one who took the time to maintain the security controls with permissions that we are used to with native apps.

Also, if someone does misuse our info, we would likely find out only once it's too late.

I love the idea of the Android player and the Android App ports....but I want to feel my info is secure. That's why I have a BB and not an Android.

Just my .02.
    03-23-13 05:45 PM
    Lot of pirated android apps in BBWORLD. It's really sad to see BlackBerry has no control and they are not checking the original owner of the app.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 10:42 PM
    Lot of pirated android apps in BBWORLD. It's really sad to see BlackBerry has no control and they are not checking the original owner of the app.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has complete control over the approval process for any application submitted for inclusion in the BlackBerry World catalogue. Their choosing to turn a blind eye to this issue is unacceptable. Perhaps a Goggle Android application developer will sue BlackBerry for misappropriation.
    03-24-13 04:48 AM
    The problem it seems to me is that the permissions on an android app are all or nothing. There is no selective "permit this, don't permit that" feature.

When you install an app from Google Play, you can see it wants permissions for X, Y, and Z. At that point you have exactly 2 choices: install it, or don't install it.

The problem is, since there is no actual UI for the Android runtime environment, and no "Google Play", you never see those choices unless Blackberry builds links to them into BB10. And the best that could happen is that you could see what an app's permission requirements are. I doubt the Dalvik VM has any mechanism to selectively allow/disallow permissions. (Unless that was something added in Jellybean. It certainly doesn't exist on my ICS device.)

Neither will you ever see Google Play on BB10, no way Blackberry would allow something like that which would potentially siphon away all sorts of revenue from the platform.
    03-24-13 04:58 AM
    BlackBerry has complete control over the approval process for any application submitted for inclusion in the BlackBerry World catalogue. Their choosing to turn a blind eye to this issue is unacceptable. Perhaps a Goggle Android application developer will sue BlackBerry for misappropriation.
    BlackBerry has set up a way for anyone to contact them and have a app immediately removed from the BlackBerry world. This is not blackberrys fault and won't be found guilty, android is open software, which has apks printed on there own os.

I do believe the Android runtime should have more rules when porting an app, but you can't hold BlackBerry response for another's wrong doing. If an employee at a store does something wrong and or illegal who don't blame his place employers.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 05:13 AM
    No, it's actually not BlackBerry's job to vet every single app. The approval process is long enough as it is. It's the developer who's responsible, and it's his reputation on the line. There's a decent take-down process.

The problem it seems to me is that the permissions on an android app are all or nothing. There is no selective "permit this, don't permit that" feature.

When you install an app from Google Play, you can see it wants permissions for X, Y, and Z. At that point you have exactly 2 choices: install it, or don't install it.

The problem is, since there is no actual UI for the Android runtime environment, and no "Google Play", you never see those choices unless Blackberry builds links to them into BB10. And the best that could happen is that you could see what an app's permission requirements are. I doubt the Dalvik VM has any mechanism to selectively allow/disallow permissions. (Unless that was something added in Jellybean. It certainly doesn't exist on my ICS device.)

Neither will you ever see Google Play on BB10, no way Blackberry would allow something like that which would potentially siphon away all sorts of revenue from the platform.
    I was pretty sure that permissions are requested on install, and the user gets the chance to review and accept/reject.

What likely WOULD be a good idea here, though, is for BB World to provide more information. I'll agree that it would be very helpful to have required permissions listed in the app description.
    03-24-13 03:40 PM
    I think one star is fair for an app that requests too many permissions. If the app requests permissions I'm not willing to give and therefore is not functional, it gets one star. I vet the permissions for every single app on my phone, my contacts and calendar are important to me and are not to be shared with anyone.

If the developers want to change their permissions requests, I'll change my rating. I really like the idea of displaying the permissions in BlackBerry World. It would save me time weeding out deva who take too many permissions.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Just Me; 03-28-13 at 10:30 AM.
    03-24-13 04:13 PM
    I've the same problem here, i installed skype from App World and i don't want that skype creates or modify my remaining contacts. I go to app permissions and i can't block the access to my personal contacts so it will make changes i don't want it to do.

There's any way we can fix this? I think skype is android ported.
    01-29-14 08:44 AM