what significance in NIAP certification for non US user

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 02:54 AM
    Zero , nothing, insignificant.
    06-11-16 03:38 AM
    Absolutely nothing, be it for Americans or non-Americans.

Anything else one Google search away?
    06-11-16 09:51 AM
    Unless you are in a business where it is important, and then it is critical.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    06-11-16 10:06 AM
    Unless you are in a business where it is important, and then it is critical.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Serious questions:

How large is the sector that needs NIAP certification? Does the NIAP offered by Apple and many Android devices already, service that sector sufficiently?
    Last edited by conite; 06-11-16 at 11:11 AM.
    06-11-16 10:51 AM
    Serious questions:

How large is the sector that needs NIAP certification? Does the NIAP offered by Apple and many Android devices already, service that sector sufficiently?
    Not part of the OP question.

But I would reply with a better set of questions. How many customers would BlackBerry loose if they didn't meet NIAP? How much revenue are those customers worth compared to how much it costs to get certified? What would the loss of that revenue do to the proposition of breaking even by Chen's deadline or shutting down the handset division? Or do you believe that Android Powered by BlackBerry can keep the handset division going on its own? It doesn't seem that Chen believes that is possible until they "can make Android as secure as BB10 is today". A target they have allocated two years to meet.

But the real point is they need NIAP to sell into certain markets, but NIAP alone is not sufficient for the customers that Chen is talking about satisfying. If it was those markets would have already gone to Apple and Android and BlackBerry would have closed down the handset division completely. If BlackBerry could be profitable without satisfying those customers wouldn't they just discontinue BB10 support entirely?

It may not seen very glamorous, but it looks to me that the customers that need the level of security BBOS and BB10 provide can't get it anywhere else even with BES management or they would have gone there already. And BlackBerry probably won't be profitable as a software company if those customers don't renew their BES support contracts because their BESs are useless without handsets they trust. Remember that Chen has often said that some customers demand an end to end BlackBerry solution.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    06-11-16 05:56 PM