Hi Folks,
    I recently read about nfc tags (I can't seem to find the article on CB but I'm sure it was here I read it) and thought it's a GREAT idea. Basically I just got a bill for my phone that was triple the normal because unbeknown to me I was eating up my data allowance due to me forgetting to put my Wifi on. Yer dumb I know but when I saw that I could use nfc tags I was in!
    So I went and purchased these 10 ZipNFC Topaz Anti-Metal 512 High Capacity NFC tags/stickers: All mobiles/tabs | eBay tags from eBay.
    Now I have two things for CB one is a question and one is a FYI.
    Is there anyway to get a trigger to work on toggling the mobile data on and off? At the moment on Smart Tags I only seem to have the option for mobile network and data combined. I want to leave the mobile network on so I can receive calls but all data is via Wifi because network data would be switched off.

The other thing is that I was about to send the tags back as it kept saying they were not supported when I tried to write to the tags. Luckily I kept playing with them and found that they have to be a certain orientation before it writes to them. So I can confirm they work with my Z10 as long as you place it correctly. So really a maximum of four attempts should have you on your way as they are square tags

I use a Z10 running OS 10.2.1.2977

Any info on the data question would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Class--

Posted using my 5th replacement Z10 but gawd I love it
    08-16-14 07:01 AM
    In Smart Tags go to create, then Smart Triggers. Add Action and choose wifi, then add. That should do it.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 07:39 AM
    No its not Wifi I'm trying to trigger it's the mobile network data I'm trying to toggle on and off with NFC rather than have to do it manually.
    Settings>Networks & Connections>Mobile Network>Data Services.
    See if I go to triggers like you say I don't have the option to turn JUST the Data Services. It only allows me to trigger Mobile Network AND Data Services at the same time. This would mean I wouldn't receive sms/mms AND phone calls, which I don't want. I want phone calls and sms but Data Services off so all the data will be via the Wifi.
    Thanks

Class--

Posted using my 5th replacement Z10 but gawd I love it
    08-16-14 08:40 AM
    When you connect to WiFi it routes all data through it, so it's not necessary to turn off data on the mobile network. Once you disconnect front WiFi it falls back to the network data. You should be fine just to toggle wifi on the NFC smart triggers settings, to connect when arriving home then toggle disconnect when leaving, just with one tag. You can also toggle your bluetooth, etc. on the same tag.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.2.1531 on AT&T
    08-16-14 09:39 AM
    Ntag203 is more universal. Zipnfc is a fine company. Probably not the cheapest, but everything I got from them works well, and they explain the operating conditions of each device so you know what you are getting. (Works on metal or not, suitable for outdoor use or not, etc.) I got a lot of advice from the company owner via email.

I've given away those nfc fobs to dog owners. Put the dog's name and owners cell on the tag. Just about any phone can read ntag203.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 08:40 PM