I just bought some NFC tags to play around with. One thing I'd like to do is launch the music app and have it start playing a playlist.
    I now see there's no obvious way to accomplish this.

Is this possible somehow? Seems useless to have it launch an app but not execute a command.

Oh, and there's no way to have the phone read an NFC tag while locked?

I was hoping to easily automate the playback of a playlist when I got into the car.
    10-13-15 06:51 PM
    I was doing some research for a extended NFC Tag App but gave the idea up because of the way the Smart Tags App works with URI's (fails to recognise basic ones)

To get it to open a Audio file you need to use the 'Other' Section in the App, type music:// then paste the direct url to a Audio file (file:// works as well) like this: music:///accounts/1000/removable/sdcard/sounds/bob.mp3/

Also the NFC Tags not working when the device is locked is a security feature (as said by a BB dev on the Support Forums a long time ago)

Your best bet would be finding an App which can be invoked from a URI which can also open a playlist directly; or try a m3u playlist.
    It really depends on how the App is set up
    10-14-15 06:15 AM
    Thanks for that.

I was looking for the playlist file, but I see there's nothing listed in the "playlist" folder, either on the device or the media card. So there goes that idea of launching a playlist.

I do have the Neutron music player installed too, and it created an .M3U file for the lists it discovered, but while launching the .M3U file opens up Neutron, it doesn't start to play automatically.
    10-14-15 10:24 AM
    You may want to speak to the developer and ask them to add a toggle switch to auto play when invoked.

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    10-14-15 10:59 AM
    Ok, I managed to get it to open a playlist file when tapping a tag. Thanks.

*rant* BB needs to make this NFC stuff more flexible. It appears that I'm unable to add more actions to a tag, such as disabling WiFi along with opening a playlist. It also appears that many of the settings that one would want to access (such as enabling Hotspot) aren't there at all. Perhaps this will be updated in a later BB10 release, if BB10 doesn't become abandonware...
    10-14-15 07:29 PM
    I bet if you posted a poll you'd be able to count on 1 hand how many people use NFC tags with their blackberry. (and I'm one of them)
    10-14-15 07:46 PM
    I bet if you posted a poll you'd be able to count on 1 hand how many people use NFC tags with their blackberry. (and I'm one of them)
    People don't use them because they're virtually useless thanks to the (once again) limited capabilities of the included software.
    10-14-15 07:51 PM
    People don't use them because they're virtually useless thanks to the (once again) limited capabilities of the included software.
    I think blackberry assumed developers would fill that gap but since BlackBerry was so slow to release essential API's it never happened.
    10-16-15 03:33 PM
    I want to use NFC but the smart tag actions are so limited. I just want to toggle data connection or at least switch from 4g to 3g to 2g.

Toggle battery saving mode is nice too.

Unless one of those are included, I won't use NFC.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport
    10-16-15 10:17 PM
    I think blackberry assumed developers would fill that gap but since BlackBerry was so slow to release essential API's it never happened.
    Yup! A developer needs the right tools to do the job

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Lawmen23 likes this.
    10-17-15 12:45 AM