So I have done my Google research on this topic: BB10 works with most tags, except the MiFare Classic. There is at least one app that handles the programming of tags: MyProfilePlus.

But I really wish there was a more clear and concise explanation on one page, that explained to a BB10 user, which tags are compatible and what the advantage of them might be (i.e. I'm interested in possibly getting a tag with more memory, but I don't know which one that is and if it will be compatible. I also don't know what I might use a 1K tag for, vs. a much smaller capacity). I would also like a better summary of the Apps available for BB10, because I've seen several mentioned, but only MyProfilePlus mentioned consistently.

Could anyone here provide a summary of this topic for me ? I can continue searching google, but the scarcity of a reputable source that tells about NFC tag usage with BB10 has only been a cause for confusion so far.

Thanks very much
    07-18-13 07:46 AM
    07-18-13 08:10 AM
    07-18-13 09:05 AM
    Wow, this is good stuff.

So with regards to NFC Tag types: I understand they each have different capacities... Will any one limit my capabilities? My main interest will be to program things like automatic actions/functions (turning different radios on and off, and opening certain applications, making phone calls, etc).
    07-18-13 09:36 AM
    I installed this app now. It looks like it has a lot of potential. I feel like I may have wanted MyProfilesPro though, having done some further review (the thread you posted has 8 pages of comments and discussion!). But then some of the messages hint at the ability to do the same stuff with SCM, with just a little more work...

This NFC stuff is so unclear! There's nothing very concise. And BB is dreadfully slow at releasing API's to do all the basic stuff that older OS's could do... Grrr.

Does SCM need to be open in the background in order for an NFC tag to be read and to perform the action?
    07-18-13 12:08 PM
    I installed this app now. It looks like it has a lot of potential. I feel like I may have wanted MyProfilesPro though, having done some further review (the thread you posted has 8 pages of comments and discussion!). But then some of the messages hint at the ability to do the same stuff with SCM, with just a little more work...

This NFC stuff is so unclear! There's nothing very concise. And BB is dreadfully slow at releasing API's to do all the basic stuff that older OS's could do... Grrr.

Does SCM need to be open in the background in order for an NFC tag to be read and to perform the action?
    Right now with no headless apps I would say yes must be running because it has to be aware, in the future I would guess BB would have to release an API to wake BB device and launch an app on NFC tap. To be clear right now device has to be unlocked for NFC to be functioning in every instance I have used it thus far. I've got some tags I need to program, but I've been busy with other stuff, maybe this afternoon I will play with it some more.
    07-18-13 03:03 PM
    Okay so I can confirm my profiles pro does not need to be open to launch, it will open when u scan nfc and you will have to close. So far haven't got the sms part to work yet, WiFi and BT triggers work great.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 04:18 PM
    following

BB10, Z10
    07-18-13 04:37 PM
    Okay, so ProfilesPro has wifi toggle ability, but SCM doesn't?
    07-18-13 05:31 PM
    It does but after reading the full email that came WiFi is pulled up with you but certain OS releases have a bug that you have to make the switch. Once the software is fixed this will be changed to automatic

I was already on WiFi so I didn't notice other than it pulling up WiFi settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:14 PM
    MyProfilesPro, ShortcutMe, and EmailForGoogleGmail apps are all NFC Enabled, and none of them need to run to read the NFC tag and act based on the data stored on the tag.

So, regardless of what state those app have (in foreground, tiled, not running at all), the NFC tag reading and functions works as it should.

However, BlackBerry OS, will not allow a tag to be read if backlight is off, or if device is locked, or if NFC is turned off in BB Settings page.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    07-19-13 09:28 AM
    @ OP,

Any tag with more than 100 bytes memory is good enough for MyProfilesPro, ShortcutMe and EmailForGoogleGmail apps.

Mifare Ultralight C tags (with usually 150+ bytes) are therefore the most suitable tags.
    07-21-13 03:02 PM
    Tags are a failure

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:46 PM
    Okay, so ProfilesPro has wifi toggle ability, but SCM doesn't?
    Both SCM and MyProfilesPro suffer from the Wifi API bug in BlackBerry 10 OS.
    So currently both apps can only open the Wifi settings app.
    MyProfilesPro, will automatically switch to full automatic when the bug in the OS is fixed.
    SCM will have a Dedicated wifi setting when the OS bug is fixed.
    07-23-13 07:49 AM