But that means u have to have nfc on all the time right? Will that not be more draining then having your wifi/bt on all the time?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 08:54 AM
    But that means u have to have nfc on all the time right? Will that not be more draining then having your wifi/bt on all the time?

Posted via CB10
    Only if you keep the NFC radio turned on indefinitely. I currently have mine off as I don't use it much (yet), but yes it will be slightly more draining with both NFC and Wifi radios on than Wifi alone. NFC itself is reportedly not that much of a power drain though.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-13-13 12:00 PM
    NFC drains times less power then WiFi/BT. Hence I said I would rather have my NFC on at night than WiFi.
    I have my NFC 24/7/365 and to be honest I don't see a difference.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-13-13 12:37 PM
    NFC drains times less power then WiFi/BT. Hence I said I would rather have my NFC on at night than WiFi.
    I have my NFC 24/7/365 and to be honest I don't see a difference.

Posted via CB10
    Well, not exactly 365 (yet) since BB10 has only been out for 7 months.
    Unless of course you had it perpetually on with a BBOS 7 device, then yeah.

(Lol totally messing with you, btw.)

08-13-13 12:54 PM
    Well, not exactly 365 (yet) since BB10 has only been out for 7 months.

(Lol totally messing with you, btw.)

Damn, you got me there

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-13-13 01:00 PM
    I keep my NFC on as well and don't see much of a battery saving difference. I have a smart tag set up in my car now to turn wifi off and turn bluetooth on when I leave my house and drive somewhere now. This is awesome! (I know it says LG.. I got it for free lol)
    NFC for 10.2!-img_00000111.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:33 PM
    @w0lfgang,khehl:

You would need NFC tags (physical tags) for each location, and you'd need to be close enough to the tag that your device could almost touch it (I forget the exact distance that NFC works within), but... there is truly an endless opportunity to do whatever you like, just by touching your phone to an NFC tag. Consider this though, with geo-fencing, GPS and NFC tags... you could actually have multiple functions for a single tag (at some point); so, instead of purchasing multiple NFC tags... have a single one on their key-chain (most folks have their keys with them quite a lot), and based on your location (GPS coords) it enables/disables features, sends messages, and all sorts of goodness.

I know people are all "tinfoil hat" about some of these ideas, but, the amount of NFC aware devices that will be out and about over the coming years will be staggering. Mobile payments, home automation, life efficiencies (rewards/loyalty cards, gym memberships), work (VPN, door access), and any other number of situations where NFC will likely be at the center of it all.

Prime example is my Rogers SIM is "NFC" enabled, I just need my bank to take advantage of that so that I can start making mobile payments via my Z10/Q10. Think of this akin to an RSA hardware fob that a lot of folks use for 2-factor authentication, now, replace that with NFC tags and NFC enabled SIM, you no longer need anything besides your phone.

Anyway...lots of options here. It's just nice to see the company (BlackBerry) trying to put out a full featured tags app, mostly ahead of the curve.

--
    young_adam
    08-13-13 07:21 PM
    This is one of those things that's so intriguing that I want to make up reasons to need it, even though I'm sure I don't...

Posted via CB10
    mopar_fxr and meltbox360 like this.
    08-13-13 08:53 PM
    Does anyone know if there's an auto accept option for smart triggers? It always prompts me and asks if the smart trigger can perform the action. I'd like it to auto accept the action.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 10:15 PM
    Does anyone know if there's an auto accept option for smart triggers? It always prompts me and asks if the smart trigger can perform the action. I'd like it to auto accept the action.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps editing the NFC settings (Settings -> Network Connections -> NFC) and deselecting "prompt before receiving?" Though I strongly advise against doing so as it would leave your device vulnerable to other outside prompts as well (it'd basically open the door for someone moving near you to manipulate your phone via NFC without your knowledge/permission if they get close enough.)

iN10Se likes this.
    08-14-13 12:08 AM
    Perhaps editing the NFC settings (Settings -> Network Connections -> NFC) and deselecting "prompt before receiving?" Though I strongly advise against doing so as it would leave your device vulnerable to other outside prompts as well (it'd basically open the door for someone moving near you to manipulate your phone via NFC without your knowledge/permission if they get close enough.)

That doesn't work for the smart tags , its ment for files tranfer.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-14-13 06:11 AM
    For those of you who plan to buy tags:

The new Smart Tags app nicely shows you how many bytes it needs to program your settings into a NFC tag.

Mifare Ultralight C Tags have about 190+ bytes and not all of those bytes are available ( some bytes are used for the tag it self).
    First go into the Smart Tags app and find out how many bytes your settings need, then decide what tag is good for you.

For ShortcutMe and MyProfilesPro apps, users were always told to get Mifare Ultralight C tags because those apps don't program the settings on the tag. They just need few bytes to program a reference to your settings in the app.

Judging by the #of bytes increasing when more settings are added to a smart trigger, it looks like that the Smart Tags app programs the settings on the tag. Therefore you might want to have more bytes as your settings get more advance (and cool) and as the Smart Tags apps become more powerful.

Also remember whatever tag you buy, make sure they are NOT Mifare Classic (some time also called Mifare 1k and Mifare 4k).

Posted via CB10
    Barljo and 00stryder like this.
    08-14-13 06:34 AM
    Vijik since the new build in app for .1047 technically does macros are you planning updates to your apps any time soon?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:04 AM
    I hope in the next build they allow for adjustment of notification volume because that would complete my needs. I like to keep my notification volume lower at work and louder at home. Since there are no longer a loud profile or normal profile for sounds this is not possible as of yet.
    08-14-13 08:15 AM
    Vijik since the new build in app for .1047 technically does macros are you planning updates to your apps any time soon?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Any new API BlackBerry throwing at us today (10.2 BlackBerry Jam Americas), and in future, will allow us to improve ShortcutMe, MyProfilesPro and EmailForGoogleGmail apps.

Smart Tags app is a BlackBerry App. BlackBerry has access to more stuff on the device than what 3rd party developers have. The question remains how fair BlackBerry wants to play the game on BB10, allow 3rd party developers to compete by providing more APIs (like BlackBerry did on legacy BlackBerry OS), or keep the access to those things Smart Tags does private to BlackBerry and only accessible to core apps provided by BlackBerry.

What Smart Tags does is not exactly macros in the sense it was done on ShortcutMe on legacy BlackBerry OS.

On legacy BlackBerry OS, the powerful blackberry's APIs let us simulate any key press and user interaction on the device. That was extremely powerful and allowed ShortcutMe users on BlackBerry OS 7 to simulate and automate almost anything. I wait for those APIs on BB10 before all the macros can be added to ShortcutMe 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:52 AM
    Yes. Any new API BlackBerry throwing at us today (10.2 BlackBerry Jam Americas), and in future, will allow us to improve ShortcutMe, MyProfilesPro and EmailForGoogleGmail apps.

Smart Tags app is a BlackBerry App. BlackBerry has access to more stuff on the device than what 3rd party developers have. The question remains how fair BlackBerry wants to play the game on BB10, allow 3rd party developers to compete by providing more APIs (like BlackBerry did on legacy BlackBerry OS), or keep the access to those things Smart Tags does private to BlackBerry and only accessible to core apps provided by BlackBerry.

What Smart Tags does is not exactly macros in the sense it was done on ShortcutMe on legacy BlackBerry OS.

On legacy BlackBerry OS, the powerful blackberry's APIs let us simulate any key press and user interaction on the device. That was extremely powerful and allowed ShortcutMe users on BlackBerry OS 7 to simulate and automate almost anything. I wait for those APIs on BB10 before all the macros can be added to ShortcutMe 10.

Posted via CB10
    You now what I meant though, with one tag I can manipulate 4-5 functions at the same time.

So the way I read your answer is even with 10.2 SDK you will not be able to get to toggle wifi, BT, network with one tag automatic?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:53 AM
    You now what I meant though, with one tag I can manipulate 4-5 functions at the same time.

So the way I read your answer is even with 10.2 SDK you will not be able to get to toggle wifi, BT, network with one tag automatic?

Posted via CB10
    Let me rephrase then.

Currently, MyProfilesPro can run 22 tasks/actions with one NFC Tag (or directly from the app if the profile icon is tapped). That includes BT, Wifi, launching the Map app so you can do in car navigation, and play a music so you can hear it in the car audio system after the BT is turned on.
    In a perfect world if the APIs were perfect, the app could run them all without any user intervention (this was the case on BB OS 7).
    But BB10 APIs are not perfect yet.
    For example, wifi toggling/On/Off is using a BB10 API that is not working. That is reported to the BB in January by both me and other developers. If today's APIs in the 10.2 Gold SDK is showing that the bug is fixed, then MyProfilesPro will automatically switch to full auto mode for wifi setting (like the way it switches the BT today). Otherwise it will stay like the way it is today where it just opens Wifi settings page.

In the same category, if the SDK Gold 10.2 shows that an app in tile mode can run and launch other apps, then MyProfielsPro can launch all the apps that it is tasked to launch after the tap.

If BB decides to not fix the Wifi API and not allow background apps launch something, then the answer to your question is no. All depends on the BlackBerry.

If you want to see the settings in MyProfilesPro, download the free version MyProfilesLight. It is free and you can delete it later on.
    08-14-13 10:26 AM
    If you could post some basic step by step instructions on how to get started programming these things it would be most appreciated
    @w0lfgang:

Think of this, for example...

You get into your car, phone turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, spawns the music app and starts playing whatever songs you were last listening to.
    or
    You get home, wifi turns on, bluetooth off, sends a txt to your significant other to say "hey, I got home ok" and sets the temperature on your Nest thermostat. (or vice-versa, when you're leaving your house)
    or
    You get to work, it turns off wifi and bluetooth, turns on hotspots.
    or
    ...well, lets just say, the possibilities are truly endless. With the fact that you can pick up NFC cards for almost nothing, and program them to "locations" (home, work, car, etc.) you could pretty much automate most of your mobile life.

I've been playing around with this stuff for quite a while (built my own app to do most of it in 10.0 and 10.1, but now that a good percentage of the actions are available in 10.2, I can migrate most of the functionality to it.)

--
    young_adam
    08-14-13 11:33 AM
    If you could post some basic step by step instructions on how to get started programming these things it would be most appreciated
    Step 1: Buy Vijik's apps! Lol
    (Or, if you're on 10.2.0.1047, open the BBRY-made Smart Tags app)

Step 2: (Haven't spent much time creating tags on SM or MPP but I assume the process is similar) Navigate to the menu that allows you to create tags, and input what functions you want to program.

Step 3: Have your NFC tag ready and nearby. Once you finish setting up your instructions, hit "create tag" or whatever the program says and move your device close to the tag (make sure the NFC radio is turned on!)

Step 4: You should feel a vibration and receive an on-screen notification confirming that the tag has been written. To erase tags, just tap the "erase tag" button and follow the on-screen directions.

Step 5: Enjoy your newfound freedom!

jonskids likes this.
    08-14-13 01:18 PM
    Step 1: Buy Vijik's apps! Lol
    (Or, if you're on 10.2.0.1047, open the BBRY-made Smart Tags app)

Step 2: (Haven't spent much time creating tags on SM or MPP but I assume the process is similar) Navigate to the menu that allows you to create tags, and input what functions you want to program.

Step 3: Have your NFC tag ready and nearby. Once you finish setting up your instructions, hit "create tag" or whatever the program says and move your device close to the tag (make sure the NFC radio is turned on!)

Step 4: You should feel a vibration and receive an on-screen notification confirming that the tag has been written. To erase tags, just tap the "erase tag" button and follow the on-screen directions.

Step 5: Enjoy your newfound freedom!

That was thorough! but honestly guys it's not hard, just read and follow instructions, geez! BlackBerry made it so easy.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-14-13 02:16 PM
    This is one of those things that's so intriguing that I want to make up reasons to need it, even though I'm sure I don't...

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, so I purchased some tags to toy around with. :-)
    BTW, these seem to work fine -

Amazon.com: NFC tags - NTAG203 Chip - 10 Pack + Keychain + Free Bonus Tag - Android Writeable & Programmable - Adhesive Sticker Back - Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 Note 2 - HTC One First One X Droid DNA - Sony Xperia - Nexus - Smart Tags - Best Money-Back Gu
    08-14-13 04:47 PM
    Exactly, so I purchased some tags to toy around with. :-)
    BTW, these seem to work fine -
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try this just to mess around. Kind of disappointed that I didn't spring for the Bluetooth upgrade in my car. Though it does have the stereo auxiliary port... may be time for that BlackBerry Music Gateway (Which has NFC, so I guess that defeats the purpose).

Anyway, after looking at it, while it does allow you to switch to the "Phone Calls Only" profile, it doesn't seem to be able to put the phone into Bedside Mode. That would be nice if you could just drop the phone on the night stand and have the alarm turn on and Bedside Mode kick in (since changing profiles alone doesn't do much for BeBuzz users).

Also, I know NFC is standard, but are any of the functions? Clearly, launching apps is proprietary, but if you programmed one of the tags to launch a website, would any phone with NFC respond to that tag?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 11:52 PM
    Also, I know NFC is standard, but are any of the functions? Clearly, launching apps is proprietary, but if you programmed one of the tags to launch a website, would any phone with NFC respond to that tag?

Posted via CB10
    It should; the app would likely write the webpage address to the tag and basically have the phone use its native browser to navigate to it. I would think that's how tags with promo media (like songs to download off a poster, for example) are programmed. I doubt they have separate instructions for each compatible platform.

08-16-13 02:11 AM
    NFC standard supports to have URIs (not the same as URL) stored on NFC Tag.

Nothing in the NFC standard says what URI should be supported by the platform.
    But most of the basic URIs (like the ones for a Web URL, SMS, Call, Email, etc) are supported by the mobile platforms.

If the URI you have stored in the NFC Tag is supported by 2 platforms, NFC Tag with that URI will have the same effect on both of those 2 platforms.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-16-13 10:05 AM
    Thanks for the info, and Vijik, I hope I'll be able to use your apps for this. It would be cool if they open things up for you. I stand by my belief that the phone going into Bedside Mode when placed at your bedside is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 11:17 AM
85 1234