I see that you are in Canada; maybe things are different there. I use Google Wallet and did not have to get my bank involved in order to use my debit card. I don't know how BlackBerry's solution will work, though.

I'm glad to see that NFC functionality has been increased in 10.2 as it left much to be desired in 10.0.
    I see that you are in Android Central; maybe things are different there. Google Wallet is not available on BlackBerry 10 or Apple iOS. It is Android only. And yes the banks were involved in the development of Google Wallet.
    Rodney Wilder and 00stryder like this.
    08-10-13 06:04 PM
    I see that you are in Android Central; maybe things are different there. Google Wallet is not available on BlackBerry 10 or Apple iOS. It is Android only. And yes the banks were involved in the development of Google Wallet.
    I don't know what the point was of your post. If you want to throw out my Mobile Nations history (as if it matters), don't forget to include WP Central.

I never said that Google Wallet was available on BlackBerry 10 or iOS. I also acknowledged that the BlackBerry payment app may be different if/when it comes into being. The point that I was addressing is that the user does not have to get the bank involved to use a particular card on Google Wallet.
    08-10-13 08:58 PM
    Thanks....yeah I get the whole "tap to share" thing....but with these cards, do I have to tap them also? And in the example you give in the car, HOW do all those things happen? The car just senses an NFC tag on your phone and everytime it does, it does the tasks programmed onto the tag? Or, do you have to tap the tag/card in the car? Or tap a card hanging by the door to send the "I made it home" text to my wife?
    I guess I'm confused about how near is near? Like, Bluetooth distances? or just a few centimeters....or?
    I wish someone had a step-by-step guide for certain tags
    Yeah, 'near' means literally touch the back if the phone to get Nfc tag (card).. you can put these anywhere. Some come in stickers and you can use those to stick in your car or something.

These cards can be bought online and they come blank. You can use your phone to 'program' them. After that, whenever you touch the card wife the phone, it performs the task/ sends data/ etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 11:16 AM
    I don't know what the point was of your post. If you want to throw out my Mobile Nations history (as if it matters), don't forget to include WP Central.

I never said that Google Wallet was available on BlackBerry 10 or iOS. I also acknowledged that the BlackBerry payment app may be different if/when it comes into being. The point that I was addressing is that the user does not have to get the bank involved to use a particular card on Google Wallet.
    Nah, Windows Phone is a bit irrelevant it wouldn't have made for a good joke...
    08-11-13 12:25 PM
    This is amazing!! Great stuff BlackBerry new toys wee

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 06:44 PM
    Anyone know which tags work best?
    08-12-13 05:31 AM
    This was part of the main reason why I did the .1047 leak. But there is one annoying prompt that pops up every time: " do you want to do that... Don't Allow or Allow? "
    Anyone knows how to bypass that prompt?

I bought ShortcutMe before and it is fully automated but it can't do macros e.g. turn wifi off and BT on with the same tag.
    The new build in one can but you have to respond to the prompt .
    Also I wish it worked while the screen is off.
    There is no perfect world I guess

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 06:45 AM
    This was part of the main reason why I did the .1047 leak. But there is one annoying prompt that pops up every time: " do you want to do that... Don't Allow or Allow? "
    Anyone knows how to bypass that prompt?

I bought ShortcutMe before and it is fully automated but it can't do macros e.g. turn wifi off and BT on with the same tag.
    The new build in one can but you have to respond to the prompt .
    Also I wish it worked while the screen is off.
    There is no perfect world I guess

Posted via CB10
    Not quite perfect. but it's getting there!

The Dev of Shortcut Me also does My Profiles Pro - if you check that out, it can to various changes etc with one tag. It is limited by the API available to the dev though, so there is atill some intervention required from yourself. I use MPP a lot, and it's really cool - will see if the API's bb have used for this are released - I know Vijik would be all over it pretty quickly after they are!

Also, I believe that MFC doesn't work with screen off by design - for device security, it's to stop someone running malicious code/downloading apps/doing anything by just walking past you with their NFC tag and tapping your bag/pocket/device on the run.
    00stryder and 21stNow like this.
    08-12-13 07:05 AM
    Also, I believe that MFC doesn't work with screen off by design - for device security, it's to stop someone running malicious code/downloading apps/doing anything by just walking past you with their NFC tag and tapping your bag/pocket/device on the run.
    Thats what I thought. Since you have MPP, can you tell me if I can do these:
    - turn off wifi, turn on BT
    - turn off BT, turn on wifi
    - turn off mobile network, wifi
    - turn on mobile network, wifi
    (4 separate tags)
    Without user interaction (e.g. Touch a tag only)?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 07:22 AM
    Thats what I thought. Since you have MPP, can you tell me if I can do these:
    - turn off wifi, turn on BT
    - turn off BT, turn on wifi
    - turn off mobile network, wifi
    - turn on mobile network, wifi
    (4 separate tags)
    Without user interaction (e.g. Touch a tag only)?

Posted via CB10
    For all the above - the BT bit is yes. For the mobile network and wifi switches though, MPP will launch the settings screen for each bit as required, but you'll then need to tap the button slider thingy to complete the action. Not ideal, but limited by BB at the present time according to the (very response, and I would say open and honest) MPP and SCM dev.

I'm sure that if/when there is an API upgrade, FonWare will update and upgrade as much as they can.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-12-13 07:31 AM
    This is the most exciting thing ive seen commented on for 10.2. Now I'm REALLY stoked

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    Lol I threw mine off the scent by taking her out this past weekend. I bought myself a few more weeks.

I actually opened up the Smart Tags after installing 10.2 but didn't realize how much it had been updated from 10.0/10.1. I was thinking about using ShortcutMe and MyProfilePro instead and will probably still buy the apps when my tags come in (to support the dev), but this does sound promising.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-12-13 07:50 AM
    For all the above - the BT bit is yes. For the mobile network and wifi switches though, MPP will launch the settings screen for each bit as required, but you'll then need to tap the button slider thingy to complete the action. Not ideal, but limited by BB at the present time according to the (very response, and I would say open and honest) MPP and SCM dev.

I'm sure that if/when there is an API upgrade, FonWare will update and upgrade as much as they can.
    I haven't tested anything in 10.2 with NFC yet, but I agree about the open, honest and responsive developer part for sure.
    08-12-13 03:38 PM
    @w0lfgang:

Think of this, for example...

You get into your car, phone turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, spawns the music app and starts playing whatever songs you were last listening to.
    or
    You get home, wifi turns on, bluetooth off, sends a txt to your significant other to say "hey, I got home ok" and sets the temperature on your Nest thermostat. (or vice-versa, when you're leaving your house)
    or
    You get to work, it turns off wifi and bluetooth, turns on hotspots.
    or
    ...well, lets just say, the possibilities are truly endless. With the fact that you can pick up NFC cards for almost nothing, and program them to "locations" (home, work, car, etc.) you could pretty much automate most of your mobile life.

I've been playing around with this stuff for quite a while (built my own app to do most of it in 10.0 and 10.1, but now that a good percentage of the actions are available in 10.2, I can migrate most of the functionality to it.)

--
    young_adam
    So, this is GPS location based and where is this under? How do I tag? on my SQN100-3(Q10) 10.2.0.1047?
    08-12-13 03:55 PM
    Alright I just looked it up and I have to buy NFC tags, any specific ones?
    nfc tags | eBay
    08-12-13 04:01 PM
    Alright I just looked it up and I have to buy NFC tags, any specific ones?
    nfc tags | eBay
    I just got some Mifare Ultralight C tags that are confirmed to work with BB10, they're $14.50 for a 10-pack on Amazon right now.

anon(5818411) likes this.
    08-12-13 04:12 PM
    I just got some Mifare Ultralight C tags that are confirmed to work with BB10, they're $14.50 for a 10-pack on Amazon right now.

Sounds like the same ones I got.

For anyone buying tags, make sure if you are going to put them on metal they are shielded. I didn't think about the shelf at my desk actually being metal until I fried my first tag lol.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-12-13 04:39 PM
    Also, be careful with Lock Tag Function - IT'S NOT REVERSABLE. Learned that the hard way.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:32 PM
    Apple is going to do this better with beacons. Essentially wi-fi beacons that you can install anywhere that the phone detects and takes an action (apps can read them, interact, etc. as well). It's wireless NFC and it's honestly a much better implementation. I don't want to have to stick these things everywhere and tap my phone against them, I would rather it just read a beacon wherever I may be, or, better yet (and much simpler), create "tags" based on detected wi-fi networks and/or GPS location. When I get to work, my phone automatically connects to my work network, at which point it should be able to switch my sound profile and launch my calendar app.

NFC is never going to catch on to the masses, there is just too much work to get it implemented for a given individual in a meaningful way.
    08-12-13 10:55 PM
    Apple is going to do this better with beacons. Essentially wi-fi beacons that you can install anywhere that the phone detects and takes an action (apps can read them, interact, etc. as well). It's wireless NFC and it's honestly a much better implementation. I don't want to have to stick these things everywhere and tap my phone against them, I would rather it just read a beacon wherever I may be, or, better yet (and much simpler), create "tags" based on detected wi-fi networks and/or GPS location. When I get to work, my phone automatically connects to my work network, at which point it should be able to switch my sound profile and launch my calendar app.

NFC is never going to catch on to the masses, there is just too much work to get it implemented for a given individual in a meaningful way.
    NFC will take off in a different way. Storing your debit/visa onto your device. Like in BB's rumoured new app Native BlackBerry 10 "Cardholder" App Answer to iPhone Passbook? - N4BB
    08-12-13 11:07 PM

How exactly this will let me turn off all radios(besides NFC) at night and allow me to turn them on in the morning from my nightstand ? WiFi on all night - NO THANKS! I preffer the NFC - less (0) radiation. Apple is doing it cause those patent suckers dont want to pay for someone else's patents.
    In addition what you discrabing already exist (for many yars) - profile schedule based on GPS coordinates, cell tower, wifi, BT.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 11:12 PM
    Where are you guys buying your nfc tags?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 11:16 PM
    How exactly this will let me turn off all radios(besides NFC) at night and allow me to turn them on in the morning from my nightstand ? WiFi on all night - NO THANKS! I preffer the NFC - less (0) radiation. Apple is doing it cause those patent suckers dont want to pay for someone else's patents.
    In addition what you discrabing already exist (for many yars) - profile schedule based on GPS coordinates, cell tower, wifi, BT.

Posted via CB10
    This. Oh, and so they can make it proprietary so users are locked into their ecosystem. Great business move, but typical Apple. I prefer the industry-standard method, myself. Lets me interact with multiple devices from different brands.

Posted via CB10
    Amazon, free shipping with Prime and no tax, usually.

08-12-13 11:30 PM
    Is this new app built on Z30?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 11:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    tagger.ca. Look for occasional coupons on RFD.
    08-12-13 11:49 PM
    Is this new app built on Z30?

Posted via CB10
    New app? Not even close, and I don't know whether you mean if it was built on the Z30 or will be available but either way NFC should be on every BlackBerry device moving forward. Improvements to the Smart Tag app should be expected as well moving forward as BBRY releases fixes and more APIs to open up functionality.

08-13-13 02:11 AM
85 1234