BlackBerry updated their Nfc tagging app! You can create tags with so many new features!

NFC for 10.2!-img_00000697.png

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 01:06 PM
    I honestly didnt look at the app before 10.2 but it does look good
    08-10-13 01:12 PM
    BlackBerry updated their Nfc tagging app! You can create tags with so many new features!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000697.png 
Views:	4130 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	191397

Posted via CB10
    This looks cool....but can you give me some examples of what I might use this for?
    08-10-13 01:18 PM
    Is this the feature needed to set up your phone to use your Credit card to make payments, with out ever taking your credit card out of you wallet?
    If so, how do you set it up?
    08-10-13 01:32 PM
    @w0lfgang:

Think of this, for example...

You get into your car, phone turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, spawns the music app and starts playing whatever songs you were last listening to.
    or
    You get home, wifi turns on, bluetooth off, sends a txt to your significant other to say "hey, I got home ok" and sets the temperature on your Nest thermostat. (or vice-versa, when you're leaving your house)
    or
    You get to work, it turns off wifi and bluetooth, turns on hotspots.
    or
    ...well, lets just say, the possibilities are truly endless. With the fact that you can pick up NFC cards for almost nothing, and program them to "locations" (home, work, car, etc.) you could pretty much automate most of your mobile life.

I've been playing around with this stuff for quite a while (built my own app to do most of it in 10.0 and 10.1, but now that a good percentage of the actions are available in 10.2, I can migrate most of the functionality to it.)

--
    young_adam
    08-10-13 01:44 PM
    The way of the future. Everything connected and communicating intelligently, seamlessly. Can't wait.
    AshDeezy likes this.
    08-10-13 01:52 PM
    Is this the feature needed to set up your phone to use your Credit card to make payments, with out ever taking your credit card out of you wallet?
    No, because of security reasons banks control the ability for setup your phone for payments and stuff. Eg the cibc mobile payments app.. but same technology.

Posted via CB10
    potatoguy likes this.
    08-10-13 02:45 PM
    You're thinking of the right technology, but different applications.
    potatoguy likes this.
    08-10-13 02:46 PM
    This looks cool....but can you give me some examples of what I might use this for?
    Yeah there's also this new door lock system you can buy now (expensive though) where you just tap your phone and it opens the lock.
    The way of the future!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 02:47 PM
    Yeah there's also this new door lock system you can buy now (expensive though) where you just tap your phone and it opens the lock.
    The way of the future!

Posted via CB10
    Those have been around for quite sometime, the only reason the NFC capability assists is through smart card emulation. In theory anything with NFC and the appropriate transmitter can do that, and has been capable of doing that for quite sometime.
    08-10-13 02:51 PM
    @w0lfgang:

Think of this, for example...

You get into your car, phone turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth, spawns the music app and starts playing whatever songs you were last listening to.
    or
    You get home, wifi turns on, bluetooth off, sends a txt to your significant other to say "hey, I got home ok" and sets the temperature on your Nest thermostat. (or vice-versa, when you're leaving your house)
    or
    You get to work, it turns off wifi and bluetooth, turns on hotspots.
    or
    ...well, lets just say, the possibilities are truly endless. With the fact that you can pick up NFC cards for almost nothing, and program them to "locations" (home, work, car, etc.) you could pretty much automate most of your mobile life.

I've been playing around with this stuff for quite a while (built my own app to do most of it in 10.0 and 10.1, but now that a good percentage of the actions are available in 10.2, I can migrate most of the functionality to it.)

--
    young_adam
    Thanks....yeah I get the whole "tap to share" thing....but with these cards, do I have to tap them also? And in the example you give in the car, HOW do all those things happen? The car just senses an NFC tag on your phone and everytime it does, it does the tasks programmed onto the tag? Or, do you have to tap the tag/card in the car? Or tap a card hanging by the door to send the "I made it home" text to my wife?
    I guess I'm confused about how near is near? Like, Bluetooth distances? or just a few centimeters....or?
    I wish someone had a step-by-step guide for certain tags
    08-10-13 03:05 PM
    First thanks for the post, I hadn't looked at the NFC stuff since loading 10.2... speaking of door locks, give me something that can spoof my work badge (also gets me into the garage) so I don't have to wear the badge around my neck any more and I will love you!
    21stNow likes this.
    08-10-13 03:06 PM
    First thanks for the post, I hadn't looked at the NFC stuff since loading 10.2... speaking of door locks, give me something that can spoof my work badge (also gets me into the garage) so I don't have to wear the badge around my neck any more and I will love you!
    The capability is there ask your employer for support, some do, many would like to, and there are some actively deploying solutions. In government, I used to use an NFC chip in my phone for access controls.
    08-10-13 03:12 PM
    This is the most exciting thing ive seen commented on for 10.2. Now I'm REALLY stoked

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-10-13 03:41 PM
    The capability is there ask your employer for support, some do, many would like to, and there are some actively deploying solutions. In government, I used to use an NFC chip in my phone for access controls.
    Oh I agree, will take my employer another 10 years to get there... plus we lease our building so security/property management would have to buy in as well. I can dream though lol
    08-10-13 03:50 PM
    Thanks....yeah I get the whole "tap to share" thing....but with these cards, do I have to tap them also? And in the example you give in the car, HOW do all those things happen? The car just senses an NFC tag on your phone and everytime it does, it does the tasks programmed onto the tag? Or, do you have to tap the tag/card in the car? Or tap a card hanging by the door to send the "I made it home" text to my wife?
    I guess I'm confused about how near is near? Like, Bluetooth distances? or just a few centimeters....or?
    I wish someone had a step-by-step guide for certain tags
    I don't think you have to tap them. I'm pretty sure you can just stick them to a doorway perimeter and have it activate as you walk through it.

Posted via SEGA master system
    08-10-13 03:52 PM
    The tags I have used you pretty much have to tap or close to it. For the car they have keychain ones as well, so you could technically "tap" on your way to the car and the phone would do everything before you got in the car. I need to test the 10.2 functionality, we went with cheap tags at first because everything we want wasn't quite there. Once it is worth it, I am gonna go with the better set that includes to keychain tags.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08-10-13 at 04:12 PM. Reason: that's what I get for not quoting a post changed as I was typing...
    08-10-13 04:10 PM
    The new options in the smart tag app has allowed me to rewrite the tag to my BlackBerry music gateway. Not sure how but the tag got all mucked up a few months ago and would open the browser every time I tapped the gateway. I ended up deleting the tag and tried a 3rd party app to rewrite it but was unsuccessful. I wrote the tag in less than 2 minutes yesterday and it is working flawlessly so far. Great addition by BlackBerry in my opinion. Very happy!

Posted via CB10
    OldSkoolVWLover and stlabrat like this.
    08-10-13 04:20 PM
    The new options in the smart tag app has allowed me to rewrite the tag to my BlackBerry music gateway. Not sure how but the tag got all mucked up a few months ago and would open the browser every time I tapped the gateway. I ended up deleting the tag and tried a 3rd party app to rewrite it but was unsuccessful. I wrote the tag in less than 2 minutes yesterday and it is working flawlessly so far. Great addition by BlackBerry in my opinion. Very happy!

Posted via CB10
    Now I want a gateway and I already have a BT setup for the home theater and too many car BT solutions... hmmmm
    08-10-13 04:26 PM
    Are the tags affected by magnets? I have a lot of large speaker magnets around. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 04:51 PM
    Are the tags affected by magnets? I have a lot of large speaker magnets around. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    They won't be affected by large speaker magnets that are just "around"... You'd have to be purposefully screwing with the magnets to have an issue... I'm not going to go into the physics of in, but suffice to say that I know from experience as well...
    08-10-13 05:14 PM
    Oh I agree, will take my employer another 10 years to get there... plus we lease our building so security/property management would have to buy in as well. I can dream though lol
    The dreams can sometimes be nightmares Oh if I had the time I'd do a whole security, DoD, defense and intelligence blog for CrackBerry....
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    08-10-13 05:15 PM
    NFC semi-automates the numerous settings you make when you're in different places. When I go outside, I change my settings to Power Saving, turn off Wifi, send email or text with already written message "I'm stepping out, will call you when I. . .". I also change my wallpaper to black background. I make most of the settings above to save battery. I use an App to store these settings and the App transfers the info to a Tag by putting my phone over it (half an inch away). Once the tag is set, I stick that on the door. I put my phone on that tag before I go out to activate my "Outside" settings. I also have a "Switch Back" setting which switches the settings I made for outside to the settings I use for home such as Turn on Wifi, turn off Mobile Data, change to active wallpaper, send text to wife I'm home, launch browser and my email and change brightness to 60% with 2 minute display timeout.

I have NFC tags on my home door and on my desk at the office which requires different settings such as ringer off, etc.

It use to take me a minute to change settings, now it's almost instant.
    08-10-13 05:35 PM
    Smart triggers are awesome! I wrote a tag for the spot on ma upper patio where my wife signal fades, now I just tap and switch to data I'm going to have to load 10.2 now to my Q as well. Love triggers!

Posted with ma delicious Z10 or ma yummy Q10
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    08-10-13 05:37 PM
    No, because of security reasons banks control the ability for setup your phone for payments and stuff. Eg the cibc mobile payments app.. but same technology.

Posted via CB10
    I see that you are in Canada; maybe things are different there. I use Google Wallet and did not have to get my bank involved in order to use my debit card. I don't know how BlackBerry's solution will work, though.

I'm glad to see that NFC functionality has been increased in 10.2 as it left much to be desired in 10.0.
    08-10-13 05:37 PM
85 123 ...