this site has been a great resource.

i just want to say that, with "native" WhatsApp failing to work for me, i decided to spend a day making my BB10 device work again.

for other non-techies/newbies like me, i hope this helps you. i started last night, and after much testing (some apps don't work), i have got the hang of it.

i currently have Skype (lite), WhatsApp, Opera Mini, HangOuts, Google Maps, and OneNote on my BlackBerry Classic and they all work.

please note that you will need a Google account (if you have a gmail account, use it) and an SD card.

==

post cannot be uploaded because even after editing the post >10 times to remove anything that SEEMS like a link... i keep getting:

This post has been automatically been marked as spam. Please revise your post to either remove links and/or references to money.

==

if this can be fixed, i'll reply again.
    01-14-18 11:21 PM
    please note that you will need a Google account (if you have a gmail account, use it).

1. download cobalt's package off his mega link.

https://mega.nz/#F!lIUWjSSQ!yoLoiNX3PNG3Sef1Fa_fMA

before you download, please check out his main thread and give his first post a thorough read:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...g-page-965257/
    01-14-18 11:23 PM
    2. unzip the contents of his file onto your computer, then copy all the files (ending with .apk only) into your device's SD card.

3. open your File Manager app, navigate to where the newly copied files exist, then install the files in this order (when necessary, please log into your Google account):

==

a. this gives you Android 4.3.3 - DO NOT OPEN after installing.

com.google.android.gsf.login-4.3.3-cobalt.apk

b. this gets your Google account and prepares your device to run Android apps.

cobalt.blackberry.googleid-2.8.apk

c. this gives you Google Play Services (not needed if you don't intend to run any google apps or apps that are licensed/DRM)

com.google.android.gms-11.3.02-cobalt.apk

d. this gives you Google Play Store (i didn't install this because i sideload all my apps)

com.android.vending-6.0.0-cobalt-build2.apk

e. this upgrades Android 4.3.3 to 4.4.4 (this upgrade not recognized by some apps)

com.google.android.gsf.login-4.4.4-(only use together with com.google.android.gms).apk

f. this gives you cell/mobile data management capabilities for all the above.

cobalt-mobilenetwork-1.0.apk

g. this gives you the capability to install more apps through a "whitelisting" process

cobalt.googleplus.whitelist-1.0.0.6.apk

h. i think it is a game engine (i didn't install it as i don't play games)

com.google.android.play.games-5.2.25-cobalt.apk

i. this is an android browser - i find it not useful because it keeps crashing on me.

cobalt.android.browser.apk

==
    Last edited by taxico; 01-16-18 at 04:50 AM.
    01-14-18 11:24 PM

a. to install the various Android apps mentioned above (excluding WhatsApp), i go to apkmirror (dot com) and find the app.

before downloading, make sure the app you intend to download supports a minimum level/version of Android 4.3.3 or it will (probably) be a waste of time preparing it for your device.

for various reasons (including trialing for reliability as well as using certain earlier versions which have less ads/annoying) i am using the versions of these apps successfully on my BB Classic:

OneNote (change display size to rectangular mode):
    com.microsoft.office.onenote_15.1.6901.4825

HangOuts (does not notify you of new messages unless you're using the app):
    com.google.android.talk_v23.0.172956998

Opera Mini:
    com.opera.mini.native_v19.0.2254.108926

Opera (if you need "Desktop Browser" emulation):
    com.opera.android.browser_37.22.2192.111622

Instagram (after install, go into each tab and browse around. do this twice. log out after each use, and log-in again before each use. change display size to "zoomed out" mode for better images):
    com.instagram.android_10.3.2 (320dpi)

Skype Lite (change display size to "zoomed out" mode):
    com.skype.m2_1.32.76.29572
    (due to unreliability overnight with com.skype.m2_1.8.0.27692 i uninstalled it the earlier version for the latest version)

Google Maps (make sure your GPS/Location button is enabled before running this app):
    google-maps-9-39-2

Shazam Lite: (installed but not used successfully as yet as i use my iphone's shazam most of the time) com.shazam.android.lite_1.1.0-170321 OR com.shazam.android.lite_1.1.0-170321-101020_no-region-restriction (found this on a forum).

b. after downloading the .apk file, i search for java.exe in my computer (i think most people have JRE in their computers). i look for one that matches this format:

...\jre<version number>\bin\java.exe

and copy that full path (not copy the file, but the path to the file) to be used later.

c. i then run the PS_Patcher-1.6 program, and configure it by selecting the "Paths" tab to paste the path to java.exe

i also enter my google acount details into the "Download" tab.

d. then i click back to the first/main "Session" tab, select the apk file i downloaded (clicking on Browse at the top), and click "Analyze APK file".

e. if it's necessary, the program will tell you to click "Continue" to patch the file. if it's not necessary, you may install the apk directly using your BB10 device.

f. while patching, copy the original .apk file into your BB10 device.

g. run the Google Whitelist app - tap on the three dots button, tap on "Add Package", navigate to the location of the original .apk file and open the file.

wait until you see a prompt. tap on "Yes" if asked to add or update the App into your device.

h. you will not see the app appear - not yet. you can also delete the original .apk file.

i. after patching has been completed, open the "Output" folder/directory (inside PS_Patcher-1.6) and you will find your patched file (with the word "patched" appended to the end of it). copy this file into your device.

j. open File Manager and navigate to the location of this patched file, and you can install it.

after installation, the app will appear in the Google Whitelist.

to remove and app (or BEFORE you upgrade an app), this is what i do:

i. open Google Whitelist

ii. tap the three dots, then tap Refresh List

iii. hold onto the app name, then tap remove.

iv. i go back to my device's menu and delete the app.

i read from other threads that you should delete an app entirely before installing a new version, which probably means you should never "Update" an app.
    Last edited by taxico; 02-22-18 at 03:39 AM. Reason: updated app list
    01-14-18 11:24 PM
    5. WhatsApp was downloaded directly from WhatsApp for Android

i am using version 2.18.8

this is the procedure:

a. download the app into your device from the URL above.

b. it will be saved - run File Manager and navigate to it (probably in the "Downloads" directory/folder) and install it.

c. open the app - tap your phone number in and verify the code.

d. soon after verification, a pop-up box will appear telling you that you need play services - DO NOT TAP ON "OK".

e. tap anywhere outside that box.

f. wait. if the loading wheel keeps spinning, close the app.

g. download WA Fixer

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...tent/60005088/

and follow its instructions (to close WhatsApp when Device Monitor is opened, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page - at this point, the CLOSE button will work).

h. when you complete WA Fixer (you will see a Done button), close the WA Fixer app.

i. reopen WhatsApp. repeat the steps (C) D, E and F if necessary.

g. reboot and repeat D E and F if necessary. give it a few tries - if it fails, delete the app and try again.

at some point, you will be bumped back into the app. more good news: notification works for both calls and messages!

for best effect on a classic, change display size to zoom out mode and increase font size to LARGE within the WhatsApp Chat Settings.

===

all the above is correct as of today. file names and procedures may change or break.

i hope to get at least another year or two of use out of my BB Classic - i love it.

good luck!
    Last edited by taxico; 01-15-18 at 11:31 PM.
    ze3rax likes this.
    01-14-18 11:25 PM
    Q: Could you please show me Instagram (com.instagram.android_10.3.2) really working on your device?

I'm struggling to launch it. On app opening it returns Error: There was a problem starting Instagram. Please uninstall and re-install Instagram and then try again.
    01-20-18 02:55 PM
    Thanks taxico, this was useful: you said what you did/didn't do and *why* and under *what assumptions*.
    I installed Cobalt'Store on Q20 and Q10, and still found useful reminders here.
    (I consider myself a passionate tech-amateur - I crack open a 6-y-old, 2GB mp3player to keep it running one more year...)
    01-22-18 09:49 AM
    Q: Could you please show me Instagram (com.instagram.android_10.3.2) really working on your device?

I'm struggling to launch it. On app opening it returns Error: There was a problem starting Instagram. Please uninstall and re-install Instagram and then try again.
    i can't be sure how to show it, but it works on my BB10 Classic running 10.3.3.1435 - also before i did any of the above, i did a full wipe/delete on my device to ensure there's no conflict with anything installed previously (and to mitigate any potential battery issues).

i'll try to attach some screen shots here but as it's more work for no reason (other than to satisfy your request), you'll have to take my word for it in the mean time.

other than the apps listed above (i've removed hangouts and google maps and Opera browser), i do/did not have anything else installed on my phone.

i have 1 work email (G apps) and 1 private email account on a mix of cell data plan and wifi (with VPN).

BB protect is enabled. i do not use BB blend/link.

are you using the 320 dpi version of the app?
    Last edited by taxico; 02-22-18 at 03:40 AM.
    02-21-18 07:19 PM
    Thanks taxico, this was useful: you said what you did/didn't do and *why* and under *what assumptions*.
    (I consider myself a passionate tech-amateur - I crack open a 6-y-old, 2GB mp3player to keep it running one more year...)
    thanks! FWIW... i am little like you... except slightly less digital...!

and a reply to this thread:

i uninstalled Opera Mini 19, and tried to use an older vesion to no avail - i think rebooting is necessary after an app is uninstalled.

i'll report back with more details when i've successfully downgraded (i rebooted and reinstalled v19 successfully again after trying version 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 18 so i'm a bit tired of trying at the moment).

i'm downgrading because of the Facebook login/notification nag screen that comes up regularly when i use OM19.
    02-22-18 03:17 AM
    thanks! FWIW... i am little like you... except slightly less digital...!

and a reply to this thread:

i uninstalled Opera Mini 19, and tried to use an older vesion to no avail - i think rebooting is necessary after an app is uninstalled.

i'll report back with more details when i've successfully downgraded (i rebooted and reinstalled v19 successfully again after trying version 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 18 so i'm a bit tired of trying at the moment).

i'm downgrading because of the Facebook login/notification nag screen that comes up regularly when i use OM19.
    I have Opera Mini v21 from the Amazon Appstore as my second browser (I think it dates to some time in 2017), why do you not use the newer version?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-18 08:40 PM

i added some pics for your yesterday, but for some reason they're not showing up. i think my crackberry-fu is not high enough to post pics... i'll think of some other way to send screen shots to you.

i'm not able to prove my version is 10.3.2 as the app doesn't show it but that's the version i downloaded from the website (shown above).
    02-23-18 11:55 AM
    I have Opera Mini v21 from the Amazon Appstore as my second browser (I think it dates to some time in 2017), why do you not use the newer version?

Posted via CB10
    i'm a little paranoid, but a Chinese company took over Opera after v19 (deal completed in Nov 2016).

so i'm thinking v19 (released October 2016) is the least "red" (but still recent) version of the app...

do you get any ads (non-FB) or FB nag screens in v21? i'm trying to downgrade to an older version that doesn't have pop-up ads...
    02-23-18 12:01 PM
    wanted to update that... (all recent versions of) WhatsApp interferes with Skype - Skype notifications/new messages don't appear after i receive a WhatsApp notification.

after deleting WhatsApp data (ie, logged out and reset it to newly installed state), my Skype notifications come in reliably.

i'm probably going to delete/stop using WA on my BB10 because Skype is more important for my work.
    04-04-18 02:37 AM
  14. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    simple key is BGshell SSH Plus and microSD for full future of whatsapp apk

Posted via CB10
    04-08-18 06:50 AM