I'm not sure what happens when no SIM is installed. I think BB just ignores it and tells you that the latest OS is in there. It may be because BB will only release carrier approved OSs to the phone, and a phone with no carrier... gets nothing
    The Wifi latest update is something ancient like 10.0.10.
    This is so people can't just remove their sim card and get an update that isn't approved by their carrier.

OP, you say you don't have a carrier (aka sim card) yet. This is the reason why you don't have any updates yet, officially.

You can use Sachesi to test what update a different SIM would give you. Just use the MNC and MCC number from the sim card in Sachesi.
    Most likely every SIM you have will give you 10.1.0.4xxx which is the latest official anyway.
    08-23-13 07:52 AM
    The Wifi latest update is something ancient like 10.0.10.
    This is so people can't just remove their sim card and get an update that isn't approved by their carrier.

OP, you say you don't have a carrier (aka sim card) yet. This is the reason why you don't have any updates yet, officially.

You can use Sachesi to test what update a different SIM would give you. Just use the MNC and MCC number from the sim card in Sachesi.
    Most likely every SIM you have will give you 10.1.0.4xxx which is the latest official anyway.
    Thanks!

Using your tool (which appears to work) and especially playing with some of its features will calm me down again and maybe allow me to make peace with my BlackBerry and use it after all.

RIM should hire you!
    09-09-13 11:50 AM
    Hm... Sachesi (Beta 22 Mac) crashes whenever it uploads the new version of the BlackBerry OS.
    09-09-13 12:51 PM
    I put in a SIM card now and BlackBerry Link finally showed the button the manual describes and is (it claims) installing an update.

I wonder if 10.1 will be able to synchronise calendars and address books...
    09-09-13 01:22 PM
    I put in a SIM card now and BlackBerry Link finally showed the button the manual describes and is (it claims) installing an update.

I wonder if 10.1 will be able to synchronise calendars and address books...
    Ok, I'm going to describe the update process so that you understand it. I was glad to hear that you have an unlocked phone as this puts you in a great position.

In order to update over WiFi, you need a Sim inserted. It doesn't have to be activated, can be either pre or post pay and you don't need to be in an area of coverage at all. In fact, you can be in a different country.

I'm guessing you are using an STL100-2 if you're in Europe but I may be wrong. You can check by typing myver then space.

The carriers have different updates. Some are very new while others are older. In the UK, O2 has the latest.

The update does not come from the carrier, rather it comes from BlackBerry servers and the sim is only used to determine which update to apply to your phone.

After you've updated, please post to let me know what version you've got (myver) and we'll go from there.

Please also remember that it can take 48hrs to settle after an update, so expect a couple of days of minor bugs or lagging.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 Uk
    09-09-13 02:16 PM
    Yes, calendar and contact sync across multiple email and social apps is supported. no problem.

09-09-13 02:20 PM
    Ok, I'm going to describe the update process so that you understand it. I was glad to hear that you have an unlocked phone as this puts you in a great position.

In order to update over WiFi, you need a Sim inserted. It doesn't have to be activated, can be either pre or post pay and you don't need to be in an area of coverage at all. In fact, you can be in a different country.

I'm guessing you are using an STL100-2 if you're in Europe but I may be wrong. You can check by typing myver then space.

The carriers have different updates. Some are very new while others are older. In the UK, O2 has the latest.

The update does not come from the carrier, rather it comes from BlackBerry servers and the sim is only used to determine which update to apply to your phone.

After you've updated, please post to let me know what version you've got (myver) and we'll go from there.

Please also remember that it can take 48hrs to settle after an update, so expect a couple of days of minor bugs or lagging.

Negative.

I used an Irish SIM card (the only micro-SIM I had) and BlackBerry Link then showed the update button and updated the software from 10.0.10.690 to 10.0.10.90. That's all. The update button is gone again from the BlackBerry Link software and the phone's update app says the newest update is installed.

Apparently Irish Emobile customers cannot get anything newer and RIM doesn't want me, their customer, to make decisions for my phone.

Syncing the address book works but syncing the calendar does not. My Windows RT tablet cannot sync either which is why I have published my iCloud calendars but BB10 appears to be oblivious to the existence of webcal:// URLs and cannot subscribe to my calendars.

It's sad because I like the Z10 otherwise. The OS is nice, the device looks good; but I don't have the time to argue with my phone over whether or not it should download the current version of the OS or sync my calendars or not.

I guess I'll crawl on my knees to the local Apple Store and ask for forgiveness and return to iOS.

Thanks everyone for your attempts to help. But BB10 has me beaten. It's too tough in the BB world. I will return to Apple.

Good bye.
    09-09-13 03:20 PM
    I didn't say use Link, just put a sim in (which you'd have to do if you are actually interested in using your phone) from a well known carrier, hook up to wifi, go to settings - updates, press check for updates and boom, done. Before that, just go settings - about - software and check that you have the European Z10STL100-2. I don't see the issue frankly.

09-09-13 10:19 PM
    I didn't say use Link, just put a sim in (which you'd have to do if you are actually interested in using your phone) from a well known carrier, hook up to wifi, go to settings - updates, press check for updates and boom, done. Before that, just go settings - about - software and check that you have the European Z10STL100-2. I don't see the issue frankly.

The issue is, as I said, that the update app in the phone claims that 10.0.10.90 is the newest version.

As I said, I did put a SIM in it. But 10.0.10.90 is the newest version of the OS it will download.

Maybe that isn't an issue to you; but it is to me since the phone still doesn't sync my calendar.

Did you even read my last post??? You seemed to be oblivious to both the fact that I specified which SIM I put in and the fact that the update app in the phone won't download a newer version.
    09-10-13 03:18 AM
    Look, xsacha has asked what version of the Z10 you have, I've asked you. In your previous post you even quoted me. I can't tell you what sim will give you the update unless you tell me what Z10 you have. Type myver and hit space. There may be a good reason why you can't update but we'll never know what it is without you disclosing what device version you have.

09-10-13 07:31 AM
    Look, xsacha has asked what version of the Z10 you have, I've asked you. In your previous post you even quoted me. I can't tell you what sim will give you the update unless you tell me what Z10 you have. Type myver and hit space. There may be a good reason why you can't update but we'll never know what it is without you disclosing what device version you have.

Xsacha guesses correctly what version I have and the screenshot I posted shows it too.

He was then, correctly, labouring under the assumption that I have a STL-100-2 (do they even sell the other models in Europe?).

I also said which SIM I have (Irish eMobile).

What is missing?

Maybe the problem is that you don't (want to) understand that this rather complicated process to get an update _IS_ the issue for me. With my old iPhone I just download and install updates or I don't. I find this BlackBerry update process rather tiresome and extremely complicated.

Plus even if I had the newest version of the OS, I have not much hope that synchronization will then work, as I read on several forums that people with 10.1 have the same issues as I; with some those issues even started with 10.1 while they believe they didn't have them with 10.0.

There cannot be a good reason why I cannot update. If I have the wrong phone model or SIM card (I have several) and that's the reason that isn't a good reason.

Point is, I followed everybody's instrictions to the letter. I tried everything BlackBerry said I should do, I then tried everything with a SIM card. I told people what Z10 model I have and what SIM card I use. I tried everything people proposed and nothing actually works. And you make it sound as if that were somehow my fault and not RIM's.
    09-11-13 05:51 AM
    Try all your sims. Simple process. Yes, you can get any phone off eBay.

Goodbye

09-11-13 06:00 AM
    The issue is, as I said, that the update app in the phone claims that 10.0.10.90 is the newest version.

As I said, I did put a SIM in it. But 10.0.10.90 is the newest version of the OS it will download.

Maybe that isn't an issue to you; but it is to me since the phone still doesn't sync my calendar.

Did you even read my last post??? You seemed to be oblivious to both the fact that I specified which SIM I put in and the fact that the update app in the phone won't download a newer version.
    Your calendar isn't syncing probably because it is looking at local Cal and not bblink Cal.

Known issue from day 1

BlackBerry Since 2006. Z10 Rogers, Halifax NS
    09-11-13 06:25 AM
38 12