Okay, finally took the plunge and early renewed to a Z10. I was happy with how all my contacts transferred over and whatnot <---this point is important, keep it in mind.

So, I hook it up to my Windows 8 laptop via USB, and Blackberry Desktop Manager recognizes it but tells me it won't work, that I need Blackberry Link. Whatever. I download it, uninstall the old desktop manager, install link.

Then, I run it. The frustration begins. It "recognizes" my phone and I go through the whole setup process. The thing is, it keeps coming up with the error "Cannot Communicate with Device". One option it gives me is to reload to factory settings. After searching far and wide on the internet for another solution, I give in and reload the factory settings. That was an awesome move, it (of course) deleted all my transferred data and contacts. Yay! It also failed to solve the original problem.

Okay, so I uninstall Link, re-download it, re-install. This time it does work and links, but only over wifi. I turn that off since, well, I'm connected by USB (something both my computer and phone acknowledge). That was a mistake, it causes Link to loose communication, and since then refuses to reconnect.

So, to recap, in less than 3 hours of ownership of a Z10, I've managed to be talked into loosing all my contacts and transferred info, wasted over an hour and a half trying to sync the thing for all of a few pictures I want to transfer, and still can't sync the thing.

Please help. Also, to any BB reps reading this, take it as a prime example of frustration that causes consumers to leave.
    Thanks.
    08-19-13 01:30 PM
    On my Win XP Laptop DM and link working fine together, on my Win 7 no problems with link...
    Last week i make a switch from a Trackball Curve to a Q10 on my xp laptop no problems here i can pick just the contact file from the Curve Backup and put it in to the Q.

Sorry that i can't help you...
    08-19-13 01:54 PM
    Okay, finally took the plunge and early renewed to a Z10. I was happy with how all my contacts transferred over and whatnot <---this point is important, keep it in mind.

So, I hook it up to my Windows 8 laptop via USB, and Blackberry Desktop Manager recognizes it but tells me it won't work, that I need Blackberry Link. Whatever. I download it, uninstall the old desktop manager, install link.

Then, I run it. The frustration begins. It "recognizes" my phone and I go through the whole setup process. The thing is, it keeps coming up with the error "Cannot Communicate with Device". One option it gives me is to reload to factory settings. After searching far and wide on the internet for another solution, I give in and reload the factory settings. That was an awesome move, it (of course) deleted all my transferred data and contacts. Yay! It also failed to solve the original problem.

Okay, so I uninstall Link, re-download it, re-install. This time it does work and links, but only over wifi. I turn that off since, well, I'm connected by USB (something both my computer and phone acknowledge). That was a mistake, it causes Link to loose communication, and since then refuses to reconnect.

So, to recap, in less than 3 hours of ownership of a Z10, I've managed to be talked into loosing all my contacts and transferred info, wasted over an hour and a half trying to sync the thing for all of a few pictures I want to transfer, and still can't sync the thing.

Please help. Also, to any BB reps reading this, take it as a prime example of frustration that causes consumers to leave.
    Thanks.

Windows 8 and BlackBerry Link didn't work well for me.

I actually had a trouble ticket with BlackBerry and worked to get Link to see my device. It didn't. Two calls back and forth to Canada and we could not get it to work. I've got some mods who actually knew I was going through this while it was happening.

After the second call where I tried to give him access to my laptop via webex, and failing because again, Windows 8 didn't work, I finally threw caution to the wind and downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Except in the process of doing that I lost all my drivers and couldn't find the laptop's recovery disk.

End of the story? Going to the Geek Squad to have them install my drivers so that my laptop could see my Z.

I understant your frustration and I empathise. I'm sorry for your trouble.
    08-19-13 01:56 PM
    Link is a complete piece of crap.
    08-19-13 01:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Normally I search around the internet and find answers, but the vast majority of posts I've seen are of the "well, works for me" variety.

In any event, I could care less about getting Link itself to work if I could just connect like I did with my 9810, as a USB drive, and just drag and drop what I want. Is that possible??
    08-19-13 02:04 PM
    Yes it is! If you turn on wifi sync again, go to Windows explorer and on the side under either the "Computer" or "Network" tab you'll see two connections to your Z10. One is your SD card (if you have), and the other is your internal memory. Just drag and drop and it'll sync!

*Please note: I'm using Win7 so there might be some difference, but I'm pretty sure it won't be that big of a difference? :/

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    08-19-13 02:24 PM
    Restart your computer. Usually solves most issues with Windows computers...

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:10 PM
    Yeah, tried restarting it. Eventually, after plugging it in and disconnecting it something like a few dozen times, it finally showed up under explorer and I could drag and drop the files.

Still, given how much desktop syncing software is integral to user experience, I would have thought they'd have spent enough time to make it as rock solid as bb10 is.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 06:02 PM
    Also, drag and drop is nice for files but that sync is pretty much needed to back up the device. Hope fully they'll fix whatever the issue is.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 06:04 PM
    I have a windows 8 laptop and BB10. For a period when I first got the phone ( when first released in Canada) I had some issues, but now everything works fine. I have always installed all updates for windows 8 and link. At some point the issues were all resolved. Everything works flawlessly. I'd suggest using the search in charms type in "check for updates" in the settings and install any updates that list. Open up link and install updates for it too.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 06:24 PM