Why doesn't BlackBerry just take out the Android runtime from BlackBerry 10 and replace it with a virtual machine runtime and make it the users responsibility to get the Android os but also enabling us to also get other hardware compatible os's running?
    01-05-18 05:09 PM
    because the 5 people that would buy it arent enough to make it worth BBs time/money
    john_v, anon(9803228) and pgg101 like this.
    01-05-18 05:35 PM
    And because that "Android runtime" is not a fully virtualized OS. It's just the apps runtime so it isn't ridiculously slow.
    And BlackBerry phones and PB are though for final buyers, not for developers taking responsibility for compile a piece of software.

Regards.
    01-05-18 05:46 PM
    This is a question that might have had some relevance in 2011 or 2012 when BB10 was being designed, but is irrelevant today because all development of BB10 ended in 2015, when they laid off the last of the development team (over 300 of the 700 or so were actual developers, and that was at least the fourth round of layoffs). Just removing the old Runtime and patching up all of the holes would take a big team (300-400 developers, plus all of the administrative staff) a year to do. Making it work with and without a plug-in runtime might take another year.

But no newer runtimes even exist, because Google wrote a whole new one (ART) to replace the old Dalvik runtime and they have full control of it. It debuted as the official runtime in Android v5, which is why all third-party runtimes are stuck on v4.x.

But to answer your question, it wasn't done that way originally because a runtime needs far too much access to the underlying system to run in User mode like an app, and BB had no interest in leaving a massive security hole in BB10, which would have been necessary to let external runtimes be user-installable. In fact, the only system-level software you can install on BB10 hardware is software that has been signed by BB with their encryption key. That was built in to the hardware and can't be changed, and BB certainly isn't going to give out their signing keys.

BB10 hasn't been in development for almost 3 years. The staff is long gone, and the buildings they used to work in were sold off. An official EOL date has been announced, but it's effectively been EOL for a couple of years already.

Use it as long as you like, but don't expect any changes of any significance, because there won't be any. BB is not going to hire hundreds of developers, spend months getting them up-to-speed, then putting them on a 1-2 year project just to extend the life of an EOL product. And who would pay for it even if they were willing? It would cost hundreds of millions at least.
    01-05-18 05:50 PM
    because the 5 people that would buy it arent enough to make it worth BBs time/money
    This might be one of the most foolish statements I have read in a while.
    01-06-18 12:07 PM
    Lucky you're not reading the news.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    01-06-18 12:14 PM
    ok which part of it makes it foolish?
    01-06-18 12:35 PM
    ok which part of it makes it foolish?

The five people don't want to buy it. They want it free.
    01-06-18 12:42 PM
    The five people don't want to buy it. They want it free.
    Hahahahahahahaha! Funniest quip I have read in a long time. That includes stuff from the news.
    01-07-18 12:29 PM
    Hahahahahahahaha! Funniest quip I have read in a long time. That includes stuff from the news.
    Funnier than "stable genius"?
    01-07-18 01:03 PM
    Funnier than "stable genius"?
    That's just scary...
    01-10-18 10:52 AM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry just take out the Android runtime from BlackBerry 10 and replace it with a virtual machine runtime and make it the users responsibility to get the Android os but also enabling us to also get other hardware compatible os's running?
    Why don't you just buy a BB ANDROID PHONE? That's essentially what you're suggesting.

As others have pointed out, the cost to do that, on DEAD HARDWARE, would be insane.
    01-10-18 11:01 AM
    KEYone and Motion.. Done!!!! Next question.....
    01-10-18 11:13 AM
    Android phone is not what I'm suggesting. Reread the post.

It's like ya'll don't have the imagination to entertain an idea. I know blackberry 10 is dead. I know decisions have already been made. I'm asking <i> why</i>.
    01-10-18 03:59 PM

It's like ya'll don't have the imagination to entertain an idea. I know blackberry 10 is dead. I know decisions have already been made. I'm asking <i> why</i>.
    I am suggesting Android phone because what you are proposing is JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Others have pointed out that there would actually be a large amount of work for BB to do what you suggest.
    The "why" would translate to MONEY.

Why would BB spend a penny to do something like this? If it costs them $1 million to do, how are they going to recoup this investment? Are YOU going to pay them extra money for your BB10 to get this done?

Plus which, I have read elsewhere that the BB10 processors would only be able to handle about v5 of Android - when people are ******** about not getting Android 8.

I don't imagine this scenario because it's just not a realistic idea.
    01-10-18 04:21 PM

Also, this is NOT a NEW strategy.

I have likely seen this idea brought up 3 or 4 times in the last year.
    That's part of why some of the answers you're getting are a bit snarky - we keep seeing the same ideas for saving or extending BB10 spouted over and over.
    01-10-18 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 without the Android runtime. (sounds like straight suicide considering nobody had interest till they mentioned it could run android apps) but have something like vmware or hypervisor still present for hosting other OS's.

Firstly it'd be way too difficult to find said hardware compatible os's given embedded os's are designed and optimized for specific handsets. It's not like Windows where you can grab a copy and load it and boom. You'd be online searching with little progress.

Second, it'd be too much on the hardware. Running an operating system, and then a another within that. We could also do hypervisor where they run along side each other. But we still have the issue of the hardware being overworked. It's feasible but only with higher end devices. Which limits the crowd of people who Can.

And third, as glwerry has mentioned, money. Should be self explanatory.
    01-10-18 04:26 PM

Because nobody wants to waste the money on more stupidity. BB lost Billions and now they're finally succeeding again. Employees like their jobs and getting paid.
    01-10-18 04:26 PM
    I am suggesting Android phone because what you are proposing is JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Why would BB spend a penny to do something like this? If it costs them $1 million to do, how are they going to recoup this investment? Are YOU going to pay them extra money for your BB10 to get this done?

I don't imagine this scenario because it's just not a realistic idea.
    No, I don't Have the to spend on making that happen but at least I'm looking for ways. I'm not rolling over and excepting whatever people shove up my ***. At this point I'm about to go build my own OS, but that's a discussion for another thread and site.
    01-10-18 04:36 PM
    No, I don't Have the to spend on making that happen but at least I'm looking for ways. I'm not rolling over and excepting whatever people shove up my ***. At this point I'm about to go build my own OS, but that's a discussion for another thread and site.
    Was it time or money you don't have or both? Wouldn't building a new mobile OS be more expensive than licensing BB10 or WM?
    01-10-18 04:41 PM
    Was it time or money you don't have or both? Wouldn't building a new mobile OS be more expensive than licensing BB10 or WM?
    Oops money, probably time too, but I guess we'll find out.

And building my own, personal OS (don't know where this mobile part came from), no. Most development software is free for personal use. QNX is free for educational use. But like I said that's a discussion for another thread.
    01-10-18 04:46 PM