Must be hard when facts shatter fantasy. The OP asked if app developers are holding back on developing apps for BB10. The bottom line, the plain truth, is that they are. Whatever the reasons, they are holding back. Doesn't matter if it's because it's 6 months old. Doesn't matter if it's because the platform has been a marketing failure. Doesn't matter if it's because they don't like the was BlackBerry's smell. The OP asked a question, and the answer is plainly thus: App developers are holding back on developing apps, especially native ones, for BB10.
    08-20-13 07:13 AM
    Some (not all) app developers are holding back development. They surely want to see more adoption of BB10. The same reason they hold back on WP8 and that platform has been around a lot longer and only now gaining some steam. BB10 has the slight advantage of sideloading for users willing to learn at the very least. OPs original question was if BlackBerry will be around and I don't think you must worry about that. Try the new phones. More than likely you will enjoy it especially if you are the type that likes to try new things. And of course you will always have CB to ask questions or seek answers.

I don't think any OS is perfect. No phone is exempt from bugs and issues. What should matter is do you like what it offers now and will it suit your needs. If your needs are a plethora of apps and games currently WP8 and BB10 should be at the bottom of your list. If games are minimal and you can use the mobile website for missing apps then I would say try something new and different. My choice will always be BlackBerry. But your choice is up to you.
    SDTRMG and astrodan13 like this.
    08-20-13 07:48 AM
    I didn't say all. Developers are holding back. That's the bottom line.

I don't really need apps and games. I was responding to the OP's needs. Not mine. It would be nice if Maps worked though.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 08:15 AM
    Do you only download free apps?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 08:16 AM
    Me? No...

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 08:20 AM
    Thank you ,im going to hang in with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan, SDTRMG, eldricho and 1 others like this.
    08-20-13 09:37 AM
    Skype is "working on it". We're "waiting" on FB to "port" Instagram. Sounds like they're coming in droves.

The reality is that the OP asked if developers are holding back. The truth is that they are. If they weren't, these apps, in a native format, would have been developed already.

That's the plain truth. I'm sorry if it's too painful to see.

Posted via CB10
    Benjamin, I've been following your posts in this and another thread. Your points are valid but what the issue others are having with you is your mean spirited way of presenting them. Try coming off a little less hostile and your points will be better received by others.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    eldricho and astrodan13 like this.
    08-20-13 10:34 AM
    My other half has a Galaxy S3, apparently it's doing her head in after 6 months, she says it slows down and gets very laggy regularly. So nothing is perfect.

My Z10 isn't perfect but I can't say it ever annoys me so I'm happy enough.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    08-20-13 11:18 AM
    My other half has a Galaxy S3, apparently it's doing her head in after 6 months, she says it slows down and gets very laggy regularly. So nothing is perfect.

My friend has a S3...same issues.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 11:26 AM
    Lets be honest here guys, I'm pretty sure BlackBerry didn't approach Microsoft (owners of Skype) on the day of the BB10 launch and asked them to make an app. They would have prior knowledge to the platforms arrival. Pretty sure Microsoft has been reluctantly making the software, straight up boycott.

To the OP, I would say that if you have a Z10 and you like it, you should be just fine to get it or get any other device. Because of the switch away from BIS, in the event the company were to close it doors, you're device would work just fine. Imagine if BlackBerry closed it's doors and stopped operation when everyone was still on BIS?! It would be disastrous. Legacy BlackBerry devices are useless without a BIS connection, just connecting to a website over wifi can be a pain sometimes.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    08-20-13 11:32 AM
    @PlazmicFlame
    I kind of like Microsoft now, they used to be that boycott and destroy kind of company but now they're cross platforming even there own piece du resistance. Office came out, Skydrive and such.

Google's seems to be taking over that evil image now. They even blocked the YouTube app on WP. Hopefully they fully cross platform their services.

For the app discussion.
    It still takes time to make an app. To make a good one at that. Pulling all nighters for a group of 5 of my friends too then maybe over half a year? I don't think bb10's even been out That long. For indie devs.
    Bigger corporations don't really have this excuse, it still takes time but should be way less.
    08-20-13 11:56 AM

Android can't run smoothly without quadcores?

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    08-20-13 03:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, for first 10 mins of use and without any third-party app

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    08-20-13 04:01 PM
    Yes, for first 10 mins of use and without any third-party app

Posted via CB10
    So the key to success is subpar software performance and high quality hardware? Rofl...
    08-21-13 02:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have to partially agree. Part of the Android architecture has certain partitions locked down (unless you are rooted). The cache partition fills up and there isn't a way to clear it without a factory reset or when it applies a software update. Files take up double the space (apk files in one place, dex files in another). As partitions fill up, the OS begins to lag. The answer seems to be to throw higher spec hardware at it to let the system keep up, but that can only work for so long.

The app gap is still there, and it looks like it is going to take a while before that changes. You just have to figure out how important the missing apps are to you.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:05 PM
    The first ten posts in this thread are surreal.

If you need proof that the developers are holding back,

LOOK AT BBWORLD!

Moreover, they're not only holding back,...they're never coming. BBRY putting themselves up for sale has seen to it.
    08-21-13 11:56 PM
    No, they are not awesome. They are nice devices with an OS that has some potential but is currently riddled with bugs.
    Every single brand new platform has bugs at first launch. It took all the other platforms at least a year to get rid of them. Be patient. It will happen.

Rockin' 10.2.0.1323... 810 Runtime
    08-22-13 03:44 AM
    Skype is "working on it". We're "waiting" on FB to "port" Instagram. Sounds like they're coming in droves.

The reality is that the OP asked if developers are holding back. The truth is that they are. If they weren't, these apps, in a native format, would have been developed already.

That's the plain truth. I'm sorry if it's too painful to see.

Posted via CB10
    The main problem with you is that you misunderstand what you are replying to. The OP had accepted the app situation prior to Thorsten's speech regarding the future of the company and loves his Z10. However, he is concerned that devs will hold off on developing apps in light of this news. You stated that the OP asked if developers are holding back. He did not. As a BlackBerry 10 owner and a leak user, I'm sure he is more than adequately aware of the app gap. In effect, he was asking if, given the recent concerns regarding the future of BlackBerry, the rate of development of apps would diminish. You decided to respond by saying that there's several apps that are not either being developed or going to be developed for BB10. Guess what? We all knew that already when we decided to adopt this excellent platform.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 Uk
    08-22-13 06:29 AM
    @PlazmicFlame
    I kind of like Microsoft now, they used to be that boycott and destroy kind of company but now they're cross platforming even there own piece du resistance. Office came out, Skydrive and such.

Google's seems to be taking over that evil image now. They even blocked the YouTube app on WP. Hopefully they fully cross platform their services.

For the app discussion.
    It still takes time to make an app. To make a good one at that. Pulling all nighters for a group of 5 of my friends too then maybe over half a year? I don't think bb10's even been out That long. For indie devs.
    Bigger corporations don't really have this excuse, it still takes time but should be way less.
    That's my point exactly. A company like Microsoft should have put together a native app no problem. Releasing an Android port was a slap in the face to BlackBerry.
    08-24-13 04:26 PM
44 12