Twice in the past couple of months I've had new apps install on my Q5 without notifying me or, more importantly, asking for my permission. Once it was an app from Blackberry and once it was from Bell Mobility, which is extra annoying since I am on Virgin. (Yes, I know they are owned by Bell.)

Both times I complained to Blackberry as this is a security issue. If they're selling themselves as leaders in security then this should not be able to happen. If they can install software on my device without asking me, then in theory anyone can do it and the device is vulnerable. They said thanks for the feedback but didn't seem terribly concerned about it.

That will have to change now as new laws will make this practice illegal. Glad to see this CBC story today.

Software updates, installations now require consent - Technology & Science - CBC News
    01-15-15 06:05 PM
    If they can install software on my device without asking me, then in theory anyone can do it and the device is vulnerable.
    How does that follow?

Besides, BlackBerry and your carrier CAN install software because they are allowed to define that as "core" to the OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 06:11 PM
    you should probably read the terms and conditions of using a BB and also agreeing to use the cell network. My guess is they have a section about "software" being put on the deivce
    01-15-15 06:21 PM
    you should probably read the terms and conditions of using a BB and also agreeing to use the cell network. My guess is they have a section about "software" being put on the deivce
    Good point. We have already consented.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 06:29 PM
    If the terms and conditions allow them to do that then they are now breaking the law. According to the CBC it covers everything including OS updates although, in my case, they were not OS updates but new applications that I did not want on my device.

If you've created a door where software can be installed on my device without asking me then you've created a weakness. If a virus or malware is able to spoof it's identify then it can open the door too. It's just a bad security policy.
    01-15-15 06:32 PM
    If the terms and conditions allow them to do that then they are now breaking the law. According to the CBC it covers everything including OS updates although, in my case, they were not OS updates but new applications that I did not want on my device.

If you've created a door where software can be installed on my device without asking me then you've created a weakness. If a virus or malware is able to spoof it's identify then it can open the door too. It's just a bad security policy.
    Time to take the tinfoil hat off.

You HAVE consented.

Plus, the BlackBerry software update process is controlled by BlackBerry. That's how you get all of your OS updates. No one else has access to that mechanism. Apple has it for their devices. Google has it for theirs. I've never, ever heard of that being hacked.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 06:35 PM
    Oh wait, there is an earlier CBC article that is more in depth than the one I linked and it does allow for software updates or where previous consent has been given.

Anti-spam law targets software starting January - Technology & Science - CBC News

In my case neither of those apply, and at least one of the apps that was installed was designed to send information from my device so I think this law would still apply.

Also, I still think Blackberry should be holding a higher standard when it comes to granting access to a user's device. It should be up to the user (or the enterprise administrator) what gets installed.
    01-15-15 06:37 PM
    You've agreed to it already buddy, too late for now!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:41 PM
    Time to take the tinfoil hat off.

You HAVE consented.

Plus, the BlackBerry software update process is controlled by BlackBerry. That's how you get all of your OS updates. No one else has access to that mechanism. Apple has it for their devices. Google has it for theirs. I've never, ever heard of that being hacked.
    I'm not being paranoid, but I was unhappy when I turned on my phone and found a new app that I never installed.

These were not OS updates these were stand alone applications. One was some kind of diagnostic tool or something. I don't even know what the Bell Mobility app was. I deleted them both right away without opening them. How do I know they were legit?

Many computer viruses, trojans and malware propagate by finding loopholes to install themselves on the target machine (or by convincing humans to install them).
    01-15-15 06:46 PM
    You've agreed to it already buddy, too late for now!
    Agreed to it or not, I disagree that a supposedly security-oriented company like Blackberry should be permitting it to happen.
    01-15-15 06:48 PM
    Oh wait, there is an earlier CBC article that is more in depth than the one I linked and it does allow for software updates or where previous consent has been given.

Anti-spam law targets software starting January - Technology & Science - CBC News

In my case neither of those apply, and at least one of the apps that was installed was designed to send information from my device so I think this law would still apply.

Also, I still think Blackberry should be holding a higher standard when it comes to granting access to a user's device. It should be up to the user (or the enterprise administrator) what gets installed.
    Can you atleast tell us the names of the apps?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:52 PM
    Agreed to it or not, I disagree that a supposedly security-oriented company like Blackberry should be permitting it to happen.
    They're not harmful apps tho so why do you worry so much.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:52 PM
    Well, you can sleep easy. Anything BlackBerry pushes to your phone is perfectly safe.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 06:55 PM
    They're not harmful apps tho so why do you worry so much.
    How do I know they are not harmful? The only thing I could tell about them was their icons which said they were Blackberry and Bell Mobility apps, they could have been anything. That is my point.

When I install any software on my computer it checks the certificate and then asks me if I want to install it or not. I don't wake up in the morning and find new programs have installed themselves overnight. Windows and Apple can't even run automatic OS updates without asking me.
    01-15-15 06:56 PM
    can you atleast me tell us the names of the apps?
    +1

cb10 @ q5
    01-15-15 06:56 PM
    Can you atleast me tell us the names of the apps?
    One was something called Blackberry Virtual Expert which I am sure is a fine piece of software but if I wanted to install it I could download it from the app store myself.

I'm sorry I don't remember the other one all I know is it had a Bell Mobility icon. I'm guessing it was probably this app which is annoying because I'm on Virgin and already have the Virgin app.

Once again I'm not concerned that these particular apps were harmful, but what does concern me is that Blackberry has created a free pass to install software to my device. Who else gets access to it?
    01-15-15 07:01 PM
    Well, you can sleep easy. Anything BlackBerry pushes to your phone is perfectly safe.
    That should be for me to decide, eh?
    01-15-15 07:03 PM
    Once again I'm not concerned that these particular apps were harmful, but what does concern me is that Blackberry has created a free pass to install software to my device. Who else gets access to it?
    Absolutely no one else has access to BlackBerry's update service.

BTW, the BBVE app is part of the core OS now. That's why it came to you through the update mechanism.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 07:04 PM
    One was something called Blackberry Virtual Expert which I am sure is a fine piece of software but if I wanted to install it I could download it from the app store myself.

I'm sorry I don't remember the other one all I know is it had a Bell Mobility icon. I'm guessing it was probably this app which is annoying because I'm on Virgin and already have the Virgin app.

BBVE is suppose to be on a BlackBerry anyway, if you didn't download it (or get pushed to your device) it would appear next time you updated the OS

Q10 SQN100-3 on 10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 07:06 PM
    Must bell mobility app to see your account

Z 30
    01-15-15 07:08 PM
    Yes im pretty sure it's the bell mobility account app, if I remember correctly it was pushed to me the first time I put my sim in my phone I think, not too sure but since then it never came back and Virgin got their own Mobility Account App now so its ok

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:13 PM
    Twice in the past couple of months I've had new apps install on my Q5 without notifying me or, more importantly, asking for my permission. Once it was an app from Blackberry and once it was from Bell Mobility, which is extra annoying since I am on Virgin. (Yes, I know they are owned by Bell.)

Both times I complained to Blackberry as this is a security issue. If they're selling themselves as leaders in security then this should not be able to happen. If they can install software on my device without asking me, then in theory anyone can do it and the device is vulnerable. They said thanks for the feedback but didn't seem terribly concerned about it.

That will have to change now as new laws will make this practice illegal. Glad to see this CBC story today.

Software updates, installations now require consent - Technology & Science - CBC News
    How did they install app without your knowledge? The only thing I know about is the auto update for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:15 PM
    How did they install app without your knowledge? The only thing I know about is the auto update for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. OS update.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-15-15 07:18 PM