What I really hope is NOT done, as with the Z30 and Q5 (the most recent/current design examples from BlackBerry) is abandon the swappable battery. Genuine fear of that here.

Bigger Z30-class battery is great, but many of us want it swappable no matter what size.

The ultimate travel accessory and peace of mind is more battery... never having to find wall power on the go, not walking around with some huge USB charging pack attached (If you have one of those, let it charge more swappables in your bag).

I think Mr. Chen will see the light on this, at least for flagship QWERTYs.

Fixed batteries for low end devices do make economic sense, it's true many many berry owners don't buy extras... only touch their battery door when popping it back on after an epic drop.
    clickitykeys and gokulesh like this.
    01-10-14 02:41 PM
    *ahem* and it must have charging contacts, or a dock that does wireless charging. That should have never gone away.
    gokulesh likes this.
    01-10-14 02:50 PM
    I can almost guarantee that the new QWERTY device will not be a slider.

Slider devices require extreme manufacturing precision to reduce the likelihood of mechanical failures, and thus have a high error rate in production, which increases costs. BB already pays more for components like SoCs, RAM, screens and memory than the competition because their order volumes are tiny compared to Samsung, Sony, Apple, everybody really. We've already seen with the shift to Foxconn that BB is trying to reduce manufacturing costs for what's left of its handset business. They certainly aren't going to bother with the added cost, risk and physical thickness of a slider device. Consumers have made their choice: physical keyboards are out, thick phones even more so.

Palm ran into production problems with the Palm Pre because of the sliding mechanism. Seeing as how aside from the Torch, there have not been any mass-market slider smartphones since then, I seriously doubt that Foxconn has gotten any better at producing them. New BB is all about dollars and cents. My money's on the new QWERTY device being boring and utilitarian, to serve the needs of the business market, the type where BYOD isn't allowed and phones aren't allowed to have cameras.
    I agree with you on the slider part, but I disagree on the nexy phone being boring, chen said it will be a high end device and it will be designed ( or maybe even built ) by BlackBerry, so it will definitely get a bigger screen with better specs and of course a bigger battery!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:30 PM
    The death of blackberry more likely. (same as palm Os,Nokia etc..)

I moved to the z30 for :

1. Touchscreen
    2.size
    3. Battery life
    4. Availability of apk files

If they stop making touch screen I would just move to other manufacturers as the majority of users.

1. The market for these keyboard phone are very small and that the reality .( hardcore can argue as much as they want these keyboad phones are a dead technology. Want proof.. nobody buys them.. BlackBerry is nearly bankrupt.. the list goes on)
    2. Betting on enterprise is again pointless. Most companies are moving ios or Android. Even the DOD looking at implementing Samsung s4. In the UK most companies are moving away from blackberry.

What they need is innovation( not stupid keyboard phones) ..new product..invest in marketing.. and provide good customer care.

Eg Sony came back fighting in the tough touch screen market by giving freebies ( Sony nice and expensive head speakers)

Samsung giving free smart watch with note 3

So it be nice to get a blackberry z50 with a BlackBerry watch in the future..

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:50 PM
    The death of blackberry more likely. (same as palm Os,Nokia etc..)

I moved to the z30 for :

1. Touchscreen
    2.size
    3. Battery life
    4. Availability of apk files

If they stop making touch screen I would just move to other manufacturers as the majority of users.

1. The market for these keyboard phone are very small and that the reality .( hardcore BlackBerry users can argue as much as they want these keyboad phones are a dead technology. Want proof.. nobody buys them.. BlackBerry is nearly bankrupt.. the list goes on)
    2. Betting on enterprise is again pointless. Most companies are moving ios or Android. Even the DOD looking at implementing Samsung s4. In the UK most companies are moving away from blackberry.

What they need is innovation( not stupid keyboard phones) ..new product..invest in marketing.. and provide good customer care.

Eg Sony came back fighting in the tough touch screen market by giving freebies ( Sony nice and expensive head speakers)

Samsung giving free smart watch with note 3

So it be nice to get a blackberry z50 with a BlackBerry watch in the future..

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 03:51 PM
    I can almost guarantee that the new QWERTY device will not be a slider.

Slider devices require extreme manufacturing precision to reduce the likelihood of mechanical failures, and thus have a high error rate in production, which increases costs. BB already pays more for components like SoCs, RAM, screens and memory than the competition because their order volumes are tiny compared to Samsung, Sony, Apple, everybody really. We've already seen with the shift to Foxconn that BB is trying to reduce manufacturing costs for what's left of its handset business. They certainly aren't going to bother with the added cost, risk and physical thickness of a slider device. Consumers have made their choice: physical keyboards are out, thick phones even more so.

Palm ran into production problems with the Palm Pre because of the sliding mechanism. Seeing as how aside from the Torch, there have not been any mass-market slider smartphones since then, I seriously doubt that Foxconn has gotten any better at producing them. New BB is all about dollars and cents. My money's on the new QWERTY device being boring and utilitarian, to serve the needs of the business market, the type where BYOD isn't allowed and phones aren't allowed to have cameras.
    You might have a point but sliders are delicious and so are you. What just happened?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:23 PM
    I hope it's not a tall phone with a keyboard. I would be disappointed.

Posted via WHT Q10
    01-11-14 02:02 PM
    After researching the q50 rumors on crackberry and experiencing 10.2.1.1925's android runtime I find that a 4 inch and above 16:9 screen qwerty or slider would be ideal and quick frankly possible.

Some android apps like WAZE runs well on my Q10 but because the resolution is such the menus seems to have layout issues.

I have some other apps on my q10 with similar layout problems.
    ruhban likes this.
    01-31-14 04:22 AM
    After researching the q50 rumors on crackberry and experiencing 10.2.1.1925's android runtime I find that a 4 inch and above 16:9 screen qwerty or slider would be ideal and quick frankly possible.

Some android apps like WAZE runs well on my Q10 but because the resolution is such the menus seems to have layout issues.

I have some other apps on my q10 with similar layout problems.
    I hope you're right!

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:11 PM
    Although I would personally love a slider, I doubt it will happen.

I could see taking the beautiful features of the Z30 and dumping them into the next level Q10 though.

-the paratek antenna
    -the gorgeous sound quality
    -USB to go (very much wanted. So, SO bad!)

Another nice thing to throw in would actually be from the Q5. The Blackberry logo above the keyboard. It seems simple, but it's clearly an issue they discovered after the Q10 was released. That little bit of extra real estate on the screen allows for a smoother swipe gesture.

I've been using the Q10 for 8 months or so now and I still occasionally find myself swiping the app away from me and minimising it.

It's not enough of an irritant to make me switch back to my Z10, but it does happen from time to time.

Anyway, fingers crossed!

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:50 PM
    +1 to @AlexKeb and @aniym.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 08:51 AM
    *ahem* and it must have charging contacts, or a dock that does wireless charging. That should have never gone away.
    YES! The one thing I miss most.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 08:56 AM
    I still see a bunch of sliders in use. People who have them like them.
    My wife's is still in great condition too, slider is tight. Right now she will not upgrade, siting to see if they come out with a new one.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    02-05-14 09:55 AM
    I just hope for a replacement of my Z10...love the phone and the size but not gonna happen probably

Posted via CB10
    I think it's been replaced by the Z30. I get a feeling we might not see another touch in that size from blackberry in the near future. I could be wrong though.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 10:16 AM
64 123