i for one hope the bb10 foto they are showing on cb aint the real deal.
    i find it ugly. where's my keyboard. it looks more like a iphone or android.
    rim needs new phone designer in my opinion. looks way too big .
    hope this phone never see the daylight. just my opinion.
    01-31-12 07:49 PM
    Blackberry needs an all touch device, they will be bringing out quertys also.. I liked it...
    01-31-12 07:53 PM
    Finally someone who didn't like it. Everyone else thinks it looks good. Touch screens will usually look the same, give or take a button here or there.

Like I've said about an iphone - I'd have one for free (this also) but it would always be my second phone as long as the 9900 is still about.

I guess the official pics of a BB10 keyboard phone won't be released until after this phone is actually released.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 01-31-12 at 08:17 PM.
    01-31-12 08:03 PM
    It's not going to satisfy the people who are adamant about a physical keyboard, but the design looks significantly more competitive than any other device RIM has out now.

The two things that caught my eye other than the device itself are the "Exceptional power and efficiency" and "Quality apps". If they can manage to get exceptional battery life out of this device then it could be a huge slap in the face to the Androids out there that are getting criticism for battery life not lasting a full day.

The quality apps part of the speaks for itself. An Android app player plus the existing PlayBook apps could be a huge opportunity for RIM to make a comeback under the leadership of Thorsten Heins.
    01-31-12 08:21 PM
    Can RIM survive without a device without a physical keyboard?

I don't think it will come to that, but it is an intriguing thought.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-31-12 08:27 PM
    New BB10 phone. Android, baby. I love it.
    01-31-12 08:48 PM
    Can RIM survive without a device without a physical keyboard?

I don't think it will come to that, but it is an intriguing thought.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Too many negatives for my simple brain to follow this late at night. But ... the first BB10 phone will be a no-keyboard touchscreen slab. So the question as stated is kinda moot. We also know they will be following it up at some point with a QWERTY device, probably of the candybar variety first, and then possibly a slider. I believe the early BB10 roadmap has with and without QWERTY covered.

As for the OP, I think the prototype photos I've seen are basically fugly, and not just because I need a keyboard. Hopefully they fired those designers.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 01-31-12 at 09:10 PM.
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    01-31-12 09:07 PM
    Too many negatives for my simple brain to follow this late at night. But ... the first BB10 phone will be a no-keyboard touchscreen slab. So the question as stated is kinda moot. We also know they will be following it up at some point with a QWERTY device, probably of the candybar variety first, and then possibly a slider. I believe the early BB10 roadmap has with and without QWERTY covered.

As for the OP, I think the prototype photos I've seen are basically fugly, and not just because I need a keyboard. Hopefully they fired those designers.
    My brain is obviously fried.... without without? Seriously? Surprised you could decipher that gibberish.

But... I was asking a more provocative question: can RIM survive without a QWERTY device in its lineup?
    01-31-12 09:17 PM
    It's not going to satisfy the people who are adamant about a physical keyboard, but the design looks significantly more competitive than any other device RIM has out now.

The two things that caught my eye other than the device itself are the "Exceptional power and efficiency" and "Quality apps". If they can manage to get exceptional battery life out of this device then it could be a huge slap in the face to the Androids out there that are getting criticism for battery life not lasting a full day.

The quality apps part of the speaks for itself. An Android app player plus the existing PlayBook apps could be a huge opportunity for RIM to make a comeback under the leadership of Thorsten Heins.
    I agree with you... and what can we do, most people today are used to touch screens and it's getting more and more young people who learn to use electronics with touch screen even before using the keyboard.
    So what RIM is doing is right, it's called survival and lets hope that they not forget to build great QWERTY devices also.
    01-31-12 09:35 PM
    My brain is obviously fried.... without without? Seriously? Surprised you could decipher that gibberish.

But... I was asking a more provocative question: can RIM survive without a QWERTY device in its lineup?
    Ok, that I get. Answer: I don't think so; but then, I don't think they'd try.

Also, to address my earlier fugly comment, that was before I had seen this in CB news:

That's actually not too bad. Yeah, it's similar to other slab phones, but it's decidedly BlackBerry. Put a keyboard on something with that kind of styling and I could be sold. Make it a landscape slider and I'll be the first in line.
    01-31-12 09:50 PM
    I agree with you... and what can we do, most people today are used to touch screens and it's getting more and more young people who learn to use electronics with touch screen even before using the keyboard.
    So what RIM is doing is right, it's called survival and lets hope that they not forget to build great QWERTY devices also.
    I agree. Lets think about all of the rants we have seen about sales people in stores (VZW, ATT etc) they dont show anyone Blackberry's etc. Now a person walks in to buy a phone they probably have Iphone or Android on their mind because thats all they have seen on TV or from their friends. Now the sales person puts an Android, Iphone and a Blackberry 10 that looks like a Bold,the prospective buyer wont get past the Android or Iphone. If it looks like the curve they had 5 yrs ago. However if it is the London type all touch with super preformance great apps it has a chance to compete. If RIM builds a Phone to please you and me they are sunk. They can built the upgraded Bold later, you will wait if you like the keyboard. They need market share NOW!
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-31-12 09:55 PM
    Ok, that I get. Answer: I don't think so; but then, I don't think they'd try.

Also, to address my earlier fugly comment, that was before I had seen this in CB news:

Click to view quoted image

That's actually not too bad. Yeah, it's similar to other slab phones, but it's decidedly BlackBerry. Put a keyboard on something with that kind of styling and I could be sold. Make it a landscape slider and I'll be the first in line.
    well now I have to ask.. What were you calling fugly if you hadn't even seen the pic yet?
    01-31-12 09:56 PM
    well now I have to ask.. What were you calling fugly if you hadn't even seen the pic yet?
    This is the first dummy prototype that was floating around a few months ago:

From Engadget - among other places - back in November: QNX-based BlackBerry 'London' purportedly shown off, dummy unit-style -- Engadget
    01-31-12 10:04 PM
    This is the first dummy prototype that was floating around a few months ago:

Click to view quoted image

From Engadget - among other places - back in November: QNX-based BlackBerry 'London' purportedly shown off, dummy unit-style -- Engadget
    Stab that thing with a silver dagger laced with garlic.
    01-31-12 10:07 PM
    They can built the upgraded Bold later, you will wait if you like the keyboard. They need market share NOW!

I agree. The first phone needs to appeal to all those who are *not* current BlackBerry users/fans. Get the qwerty model out later if necessary.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-31-12 10:15 PM
    i think this device will be appealing to those looking for that all touch device with a large screen. personally, I'm not a fan of all touch devices--i need my keyboard. I'm excited to see why RIM will have for their next touch/type device.
    01-31-12 10:21 PM
    Ok enough with the hardware.
    if RIM wants to get back in the game , they need to invest on a powerful app store.
    That's the only way we can expect more people to flock on the device, otherwise, this might share the same fate as the Playbook 1.0
    01-31-12 10:21 PM
    hardware is important . yeah they do need apps but isn't that why android is present.
    can rim survive without the keyboard feature ?
    i see it surviving but id stick with the old phones .
    my hope is there will be different versions. hopefully !
    01-31-12 10:34 PM
    you mean something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails new BB10 phone-1.jpg  
    Elysa_38 likes this.
    01-31-12 11:28 PM
    you mean something like this?
    I really like that idea. It looks nice actually!! I was going to buy a 9900 but I think Ill hold off until i see seem leaked pictures of a new 'bold'
    01-31-12 11:43 PM
    My initial reaction was the hardware is very Android phone looking. The UI looks like someone figured out what WP7 should have looked like. Both are nice. But is it going to blend in so much it doesn't stand out enough to sell well? Or has cellphone marketing created certain expectations and it has to look like everything else?
    01-31-12 11:59 PM
    Ok enough with the hardware.
    if RIM wants to get back in the game , they need to invest on a powerful app store.
    That's the only way we can expect more people to flock on the device, otherwise, this might share the same fate as the Playbook 1.0
    This... I mostly agree.
    02-01-12 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD