Is there a 3rd party app out there that allows you to connect to network drives over VPN. Something similar to BlackBerry work drives. But does not need BES10

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:47 AM
    Idk how it interacts with the vpn, but you should just be able to set up remote file access from BlackBerry Link and select the mapped drive as a shared folder.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 11:31 AM
    Idk how it interacts with the vpn, but you should just be able to set up remote file access from BlackBerry Link and select the mapped drive as a shared folder.

That's exactly right and its AWESOME! I've installed Blackberry Link on a work computer which is left on all the time. It (somehow) punches through our corporate firewall and it just works, over wifi and cellular (if you check the box to enable this) where I can now readily see my entire file server in the palm of my Z through the native file manager - and enjoy not being tied to the office as much. That said, I highly recommend then that have a password on your device and fully utilize encryption which includes your media card.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 09:12 PM
    I would rather not use BlackBerry Link if it's possible. I haven't had much luck with it working consistently.

Any other options?

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    06-25-13 10:58 AM
    I recently upgraded to the temporarily available 10.1 OS on AT&T and got Remote File Access to access my local files on my desktop, but cant seem to get any access to the mapped network drives. How did you do it? was there something special you needed to do to accomplish this?
    06-25-13 01:14 PM
    I recently upgraded to the temporarily available 10.1 OS on AT&T and got Remote File Access to access my local files on my desktop, but cant seem to get any access to the mapped network drives. How did you do it? was there something special you needed to do to accomplish this?
    Search around, I'm pretty sure Bla1ze did a write up about it a while back. If I get some time I'll look around.

Edit: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-network-drive

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 05:48 PM
    I would rather not use BlackBerry Link if it's possible. I haven't had much luck with it working consistently.

Any other options?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know of any other options but I can tell you that link is just a gateway, it doesn't need to be running for the remote access and I get the impression that it really has nothing to do with it except on the setup. Honestly it's worth trying out, I know others have had some issues but I've had 10.1 on my z since the first leak and the remote access has always worked flawlessly for me.

Edit: maybe try to port one of the android apps for NAS access using the new method.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 05:51 PM
    Search around, I'm pretty sure Bla1ze did a write up about it a while back. If I get some time I'll look around.

Edit: Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Posted via CB10
    I've already mapped my network drive on my desktop, and have addedd the mapped drive to Link's list of folders to be accessed remotely. However, every time I attempt to access the mapped network drive, it waits & waits & waits and then times out. It might be that there is a permissions or certificate issue with this access, but I cant determine if that's true or not. Any ideas?
    06-26-13 09:33 AM
    I've already mapped my network drive on my desktop, and have addedd the mapped drive to Link's list of folders to be accessed remotely. However, every time I attempt to access the mapped network drive, it waits & waits & waits and then times out. It might be that there is a permissions or certificate issue with this access, but I cant determine if that's true or not. Any ideas?
    Oh sorry, can you access the drive via computer? Or not at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:00 PM
    Oh sorry, can you access the drive via computer? Or not at all.

Posted via CB10
    More info for those that can offer some help. Yep, I've alwaysbeen able to access the mapped drive via my desktop. I have a VPN connection to our corporate server which allows me access to this network drive. I have set up SyncCenter for this mapped network drive so that I can have local access should the connection between me and the server be slow or if the VPN is down for any reason. If I purposely disable the VPN connection, then i can access the copy of the mapped network drive via Remote File Access with no problems. However, if the VPN is up, then there is a problem and I can't access the mapped network drive files. So the issue is the VPN connection, and I have gone through several iterations of attemtping to allow other network users to access the VPN, but in all cases the VPN doesn't connect properly or even the internet connection is dropped. Sounds like an ipV6 issue, but not sure. Any thoughts from other users?
    06-26-13 12:56 PM
    Yeah sorry man gl

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 02:29 PM
    I don't know of any other options but I can tell you that link is just a gateway, it doesn't need to be running for the remote access and I get the impression that it really has nothing to do with it except on the setup. Honestly it's worth trying out, I know others have had some issues but I've had 10.1 on my z since the first leak and the remote access has always worked flawlessly for me.

Edit: maybe try to port one of the android apps for NAS access using the new method.

Posted via CB10
    Actual program doesn't need to be open that's true. But there are several services that do need to be running that BlackBerry Link installs with itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 06:55 AM
    Hey I haven't had the time to read through this, but I stumbled upon it in my travels
    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...Over-a-VPN.htm

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:25 PM
    If you need to stay within the established infrastructure (no third party apps such as BlackBerry Link), do you have an ftp server?

If you are able to get the device connected by vpn tunnel, perhaps you could then use a ftp client such as Ghost Commander to get are your files?

If it turns out to be a DNS issue, perhaps also try the direct ip rather than unc path?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 06:39 PM
    Hi!
    I need to access an university network drive via VPN on my Q10. The VPN connection setup was fairly easy and the connection via VPN works well. But the question now is, how do I setup the network drive, i.e. how can I access the network drive? It does not show up in the file manager. Any info on this?
    -pac
    10-23-13 04:51 AM