Hey folks,

What I want to know is: how I can play/stream/view media from my Z10 to my Smart TV at home while I'm connected to a different WiFi network?

My GF at home has her friends over there and she wanted to see our vacation photos and videos on TV as I usually do that using Media Sharing (DLNA) at home. But since I'm at work now, how it could be possible to do that? does it has something to do with VPN? please advice
    11-01-13 05:57 AM
    Hey folks,

What I want to know is: how I can play/stream/view media from my Z10 to my Smart TV at home while I'm connected to a different WiFi network?

My GF at home has her friends over there and she wanted to see our vacation photos and videos on TV as I usually do that using Media Sharing (DLNA) at home. But since I'm at work now, how it could be possible to do that? does it has something to do with VPN? please advice
    DLNA works over the same WiFi network (as most streaming requires the same network). If your TV is able to access a cloud file system like Box or DropBox you could use one of those (upload photos from your phone to the cloud provider, and then to your TV). You can also use BB Link and put the files on your home PC to use that to stream. This assumes you have a DLNA compatible PC.
    menshawy likes this.
    11-01-13 06:35 AM
    Hey folks,

Upload them to YouTube / Picassa (or some photo sharing website) - assuming your TV can access those sites...
    menshawy likes this.
    11-01-13 06:37 AM
    Thank you guys for the advices. But it's not quite what I'm trying to achieve as I already know these alternatives.

What I want to know if I can somehow join my Home network from outside. So I can become connected at the same network like my TV with a local IP address. Is that possible?
    11-01-13 07:19 AM
    Thank you guys for the advices. But it's not quite what I'm trying to achieve as I already know these alternatives.

What I want to know if I can somehow join my Home network from outside. So I can become connected at the same network like my TV with a local IP address. Is that possible?
    I thought that is waht you really wanted, but I think anything like that is going to take some setting up (at both ends). Was trying to suggest something that would let your GF show her friends more or less straight away.
    I think you need to set up some sort of VPN (as you suggested) but I'm afraid the technical side of that is a bit beyond me. Also, unless you have administrator type access to your work's firewall and routers, not sure it would even be possible...

I'm watching this thread though, because I'm interested to see if anyone can think of a way of doing it!
    Sith_Apprentice and menshawy like this.
    11-01-13 07:24 AM
    Would like to know as well.
    11-01-13 07:30 AM
    OK.. good that now we understand each other

First of all I remember I saw some option at my router at home that brought to me such an idea.. It was quite a while ago when I saw it.

OK guys.. I'll try to find some solution for this from my side too and if I find something I will let you know
    11-01-13 07:44 AM
    Do you have a PlayBook, or a BB10 device or an Android device at home, that can connect to the TV (via HDMI or whatever).
    If so, you could look into Kalemsoft video player. That allows you to set up a 'streamer' which will play to another device anywhere on the internet.
    The only hitch is that the streamer can only run on a PC, so you would have to copy the files onto your work PC, and installer the kalemsoft streamer software on it, and also make some changes to the router and firewall, but if all that is possible, it could work...
    11-01-13 07:53 AM
    Do you have a PlayBook, or a BB10 device or an Android device at home, that can connect to the TV (via HDMI or whatever).
    If so, you could look into Kalemsoft video player. That allows you to set up a 'streamer' which will play to another device anywhere on the internet.
    The only hitch is that the streamer can only run on a PC, so you would have to copy the files onto your work PC, and installer the kalemsoft streamer software on it, and also make some changes to the router and firewall, but if all that is possible, it could work...
    Well, as I said before I know about many alternatives.. I didn't know about this one you just proposed but I knew that out there there's many 3rd party apps that would help, but I'm kinda of native lover I prefer to make use of the options came built into my phone naively.. So VPN if possible, would be perfect!

Very soon I'll have a chat with a network guy working on AT&T on sametime.. Will let you know guys
    11-01-13 08:01 AM
    Try this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dlna vpn&hl=en

It seems to be possible, not sure if it's worth the hassle+ it will be slow. As many suggested, using a centralized server will be a better idea.

A Future Cisco Engineer
    Posted via CB10 on Q10
    menshawy likes this.
    11-01-13 08:12 AM
    Try this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dlna vpn&hl=en

It seems to be possible, not sure if it's worth the hassle+ it will be slow. As many suggested, using a centralized server will be a better idea.

A Future Cisco Engineer
    Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Hassle brings knowledge thanks for the tip
    djsvet likes this.
    11-01-13 08:17 AM
    Hassle brings knowledge thanks for the tip
    True. Go for it than, and you might as well post a guide afterwards.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    11-01-13 08:46 AM
    2 options I can think of right off the bat

1. BlackBerry Link software acts as personal cloud allowing you to xfer files locally tony our system. This would be easiest

2. You could create file share sftp or other file sharing service and then open your router to port forward.
    Note this is not very secure but easy to do.

A better variation of this would be to connect through a VPN endpoint (router or firewall) or establish the tunnel direct from your phone (better solution) and have it terminate on your external gateway (router) or pc. This would then give you a local IP as if you are local network and you could perform dnla as per usual.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:08 AM