I've noticed a few naysayers on various forums and stories saying "BlackBerry 10 will fail because it's a 1.0 operating system". They likely aren't BlackBerry users, I would guess. :-)

I look at this Operating System as "PlayBook 3.0". RIM has already released 7 or so predecessors to it out to 2 million "beta testers" of a little science project called the PlayBook. While this OS is a more defined version of BlackBerry Tablet OS, it's not entirely 'new' as some suggest.

Amazing that people don't get that concept.
    12-03-12 01:50 PM
    Don't forget QNX was started in 1982 and they are on 6.5. Also QNX runs nuclear power plants, routers and space shuttles. I personally would prefer an OS that is proven the way QNX is.

PS. Cisco IOS is also based on QNX
    anon(3896606) and meganVee like this.
    12-03-12 02:42 PM
    Right. iOS totally failed when they released v1.0 so I see where that argument is coming from.
    sleekskyline120 likes this.
    12-03-12 03:00 PM
    Right. iOS totally failed when they released v1.0 so I see where that argument is coming from.
    Android did not become more of a hit till 2.3
    12-03-12 03:02 PM
    Yea but both of those companies were brand new to the world of mobile devices so they had to get use to the market where as Rim has a lot of experience in mobile and as you said the Playbook was their first try with this operating system.
    12-03-12 03:22 PM
    All systems are unproven in their new avatar, be it iOS, Android and even Windows. And calling BB10 as 1.0 is technically not too off, as it's the first version of RIM's mobile computing platform. Calling it a failure is being very subjective. RIM could sell millions of those device and not return to profit quickly. It could outsell Lumia 920 and people may still call it a failure as it did not meet the sales figures for say iPhone or the Galaxy S3. I would say it will be a success if on it's current iteration it brings RIM back to profit within a year of launch.

Guess people need to set a benchmark of what success for BB10 means.
    12-03-12 03:27 PM
    Looks like there was a little slip today because BB10 with be running on QNX8 and probably going to announce that on January 30 What's new in QNX Neutrino 8.0.0 - Native SDK for BlackBerry 10 Beta
    12-03-12 08:42 PM
    Well "technically" it will be a 1.0 OS.

People should take notice though that the S4 is better than the processor in either dev alpha and yet it is still very smooth even on old processors....and it might be running an upgraded version of the kernal. RIM could very well have many surprises come January 30th
    12-03-12 11:03 PM
    Well "technically" it will be a 1.0 OS.
    I suppose, but I wouldn't classify it the same as "Windows Phone 7" ... by virtue of its predecessor, BlackBerry Tablet OS
    12-03-12 11:05 PM
    I am not really bothered by it.
    Elwe Feanorfin likes this.
    12-03-12 11:10 PM
    I suppose, but I wouldn't classify it the same as "Windows Phone 7" ... by virtue of its predecessor, BlackBerry Tablet OS
    Technically WP7 uses the same base as Windows Mobile, they both were based off Windows CE, and Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows NT.
    12-04-12 08:26 AM
    It would be more accurate to call BB10 a version 3.0 operating system, really, by any classic measure of such things. PlayBook had 1.0 and then 2.0. BB10 simply follows along in that series.

The real point that people should worry about is simply that any "dot-O" version of anything (assuming no "cheating" with version numbering) is riskier than the "dot-one" versions. If RIM slips on testing and quality control, then it will hurt, either a bit or a lot, and they'll need a BB10.1 (or whatever they'll call it) to patch things up.
    12-04-12 10:55 AM
    Uneducated people in charge again. Move along.
    12-04-12 11:18 AM
    I agree to an extent. This OS isn't a stop gap like WP7 was....and like u said RIM had Tablet OS 1 and 2 to test on...but at the same time many features in BB10 we haven't even seen yet alone even used on a PlayBook. That's a lot that can go wrong. Even if it was a PlayBook Tablet OS 3, this would be a big revamp. The UI is different. I agree with Peter9477 that they will have to get it right on quality control.

That being said, just because it is a 1.0 operating system means nothing. Look what Apple did on its first try...might not have been selling back then like it does now but it laid the groundwork and caught everyone's attention. The way I see it, if RIM had time to get down to deciding which 106 words couldn't be used as passwords, then I'm sure they have plenty in store for this "1.0" OS because that is really getting down to tiny details IMO lol
    jon4400 likes this.
    12-04-12 04:29 PM
    Call it what you want. All that will matter is how it works.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Blacklatino and peter9477 like this.
    12-04-12 04:38 PM
    1.0? hmmm. That's OK. if 1.0 just what I already felt. Better for me to pick that 1.0 than 4.2 or 6. 1.0 feels so much better. hmmm, I wonder, what will be truly 10?
    12-05-12 02:16 AM
    That explains why it has to be so secure. Can you iMagine what a disaster it would be if they'd chosen Android?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-05-12 03:40 AM
    That explains why it has to be so secure. Can you iMagine what a disaster it would be if they'd chosen Android?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    You mean like the massive profits Samsung rakes in from sales of the 'disastrous' Android OS?
    12-05-12 09:13 AM
    It is 1.0 but that doesn't matter if it is good.
    12-05-12 11:46 AM
    Agree with u
    12-05-12 11:51 AM
    You mean like the massive profits Samsung rakes in from sales of the 'disastrous' Android OS?
    The profits come from Samsung making the CPU, making the LCD panel, making the memory... Nothing to do with the actual android phone itself. It is just weak public disclosure laws in South Korea that allow Samsung to make all these outrageous claims about how many units they sold and how much profits they made. You look at the Apple-Samsung lawsuits and Samsung had to admit that they sold much much much less tablets than the millions of units that they claimed to have sold.
    12-05-12 11:55 AM
    I guess it comes down to your definition.

I call it 3.0 as it's a massive upgrade on PlayBook 2.0, designed for a phone, but not the first time RIM is releasing a GUI based QNX OS. And it runs PlayBook apps
    12-05-12 11:57 AM
    T You look at the Apple-Samsung lawsuits and Samsung had to admit that they sold much much much less tablets than the millions of units that they claimed to have sold.
    Got a link?

I'm really struggling to believe that the Galaxy phones aren't making a fortune for Samsung.
    12-05-12 11:58 AM
    Really grasping for straws those haters are.

Don't worry OP, It's ignorant comments like those which reveal how biased/clueless they are.

Let them be by the wayside as the rest of us continue forward.
    12-05-12 12:02 PM
    Got a link?

I'm really struggling to believe that the Galaxy phones aren't making a fortune for Samsung.
    It makes Samsung richer Samsung galaxy has wide variety. From low end (Y) to N series

But, Only Samsung gains big profit from Android OS.
    12-05-12 12:03 PM
40 12