Is there anyway to tell native from android apps before they are installed.
    03-17-13 09:51 AM
    That would be good to know indeed.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 01:45 PM
    I would like to know this as well as I only want to use native apps as android ports aren't as good.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 01:46 PM
    I would like to know this as well as I only want to use native apps as android ports aren't as good.

Posted via CB10
    Surely an Android app is better than no app?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:00 PM
    I agree. Native better than nothing and as XE has just proven native can come if we wait. Would like to know if what I'm downloading is an android port though.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:04 PM
    There isn't anyway to know before downloading it, unless it has been specifically mentioned by the developer. But once installed, they way to tell is when you swipe down from the top to get the app settings, you get a bar that has Info and Pin bar pop up. I've included a screen capture.
    Native vs Android Apps-img_00000327.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) and Crisdean like this.
    03-17-13 02:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    There are some Android apps that run very well on the device. And as someone else above stated, an Android app is better than none. Personally, if the app works well, I don't mind.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:06 PM
    Surely an Android app is better than no app?

Posted via CB10
    They don't run as smoothly which is what I don't like. If they can create a port for it then why not spend extra time and make it into a native app instead (obviously talking about the apps that have been ported by the developers not ones that you have to install with the bar files)

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:06 PM
    They don't run as smoothly which is what I don't like. If they can create a port for it then why not spend extra time and make it into a native app instead (obviously talking about the apps that have been ported by the developers not ones that you have to install with the bar files)

Posted via CB10
    This isn't really my experience. Instagram and Flipboard work great, as does Waze. It may well be that the app didn't run well on Android devices, either.
    03-17-13 02:09 PM
    What you have to remember that some of these android apps don't run too well on android devices themselves lol

I'm not a huge fan of android ports myself but it's better than nothing. At the moment I have a few side loaded android apps on my z10 and they run ok-ish. Although I'm hoping they will make them native rather than having me sideloading android apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not an advocate of ports, native is obviously much better. That said, I have many android ports that work smooth and well, and a few native apps that run terribly and are laggy.

It is probably a cost thing for a lot of developers, if they already have an app that will work on another system by porting, why spend the time and funds to rebuild the same app that just navigates differently?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:29 PM
    Native apps that are made for Blackberry will have a m symbol at the top in the app store I forgot what the t and g icons were.

CB10- z10
    03-17-13 02:31 PM
    I'm not an advocate of ports, native is obviously much better. That said, I have many android ports that work smooth and well, and a few native apps that run terribly and are laggy.

It is probably a cost thing for a lot of developers, if they already have an app that will work on another system by porting, why spend the time and funds to rebuild the same app that just navigates differently?

Posted via CB10
    If they can build versions for the iPhone and Android then why not add to it and build a native BlackBerry App as well... If I could develop apps then I would certainly want to do it for all os and make sure they all run really good

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:42 PM
    If they can build versions for the iPhone and Android then why not add to it and build a native BlackBerry App as well... If I could develop apps then I would certainly want to do it for all os and make sure they all run really good

Posted via CB10
    You would think that would be the case but I guess a lot of devs don't see blackberry as a viable platform to develop on. Which was the case before BB10 came onto the scene. But now things are different and hopefully soon other devs that develop for other platforms, will see that and start developing for BlackBerry 10.

To give you an example, there is an app both on iOS and android and when I emailed the dev, he answered back by saying he doesn't see anything in blackberry that males him want to develop the app for BlackBerry 10. Even though I replied saying that you could easily port it over using the Android runtime on BB10. Never bothered to reply back, a shame really as I would pay for his app on BlackBerry 10 if he did develop a version for BB 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:07 PM
    Native apps that are made for Blackberry will have a m symbol at the top in the app store I forgot what the t and g icons were.

CB10- z10
    Those are the app ratings, not what type of app it is.

G = General (kids and adults)
    T = Teen (kind of like PG movies)
    M = Mature

This doesn't have anything to do with being an Android app or not.

Posted via CB10
    schmeat, Neely2005 and JTon like this.
    03-17-13 08:26 PM
    I thought there was a "Built for BlackBerry" section in BlackBerry World to distinguish Native apps vs. Ported apps?? I'm in the US so I don't have my Z10 yet, but I could've sworn there was a blog post about it a few weeks ago?
    03-17-13 08:40 PM
    There are no android apps here. If it's not something I need, I'll save space.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 11:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    We need to understand. BBC10 is a brand new os. We can't expect Devs to create great native apps. We need to be patient and wait for the native version. There are lot of good android ported apps. Not all ported apps are bad. Btw its better to have an android port rather nothing. Many devs are not lazy to create native apps, they just want to test BBC10 platform first do they are using Android apps as a testing. I'm sure if the apps receives good response they will create a native version. We need to encourage the devs. Don't just blame them.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by arvind1983; 03-18-13 at 12:04 AM.
    03-17-13 11:48 PM
    I thought there was a "Built for BlackBerry" section in BlackBerry World to distinguish Native apps vs. Ported apps?? I'm in the US so I don't have my Z10 yet, but I could've sworn there was a blog post about it a few weeks ago?
    That's to distinguish between apps with the "Built for BlackBerry" certification, which requires the app to be native and several other criteria (they must be useful, have a Cascades UI unless they're games, look professional, and so on). It isn't a straight out native vs Android, but rather a way of highlighting higher quality native apps.
    03-18-13 06:31 PM
    In BBW, type "Built For BlackBerry", the native apps and games have a roll-up "sticker" on the bottom right of the app icon.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 06:33 PM
    Built For Blackberry Posts :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tegory-775441/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-list-772065/

I request CB Moderators make sticky these threads. Lately, many people asking for Built For Blackberry Apps at CB Forums
    Thanks !
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    03-18-13 08:06 PM
    Guys i have tested and compared blackberry z10 and android lg nexus 4(custom rom and modified), browsing speed.

Lg smoked the browser loading speed of blackberry z10 by almost 1.5 secs on a complete finish with images...

i installed a adblocker at the custom browser of lg nexus4 while blackberry has no modification made.

But i still like the z10 because of its usability.

Now, where can we request an adblock app for os10??? Hehe

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    tatail likes this.
    03-18-13 08:07 PM
    IMHO of course, no offense :

Built for Blackberry > Native Apps > Android > Nothing
    eninrebmun and anon(4044683) like this.
    03-18-13 08:09 PM
    Guys i have tested and compared blackberry z10 and android lg nexus 4(custom rom and modified), browsing speed.

Lg smoked the browser loading speed of blackberry z10 by almost 1.5 secs on a complete finish with images...

i installed a adblocker at the custom browser of lg nexus4 while blackberry has no modification made.

But i still like the z10 because of its usability.

Now, where can we request an adblock app for os10??? Hehe

Off-topic, my friend ...
    03-18-13 08:10 PM
    Yeh.. i know and i apologize for that.. because i cant make a new thread.

03-18-13 08:52 PM
38 12