Correct m if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the Skype app was always an Android port even when it was listed in BBW (apk converted to bar back in the day that installing/sideloading apks was not possible).

Posted via CB10
    You are indeed correct.
    01-07-16 01:00 PM
    It takes a big man to publicly admit his ignorance.
    I salute you.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
    Last edited by danifulger; 03-04-16 at 02:51 PM.
    01-07-16 01:37 PM
    With the help of this thread we could tell the difference in between fake and real BlackBerry 10 software.
    Still, it was OK when you didn't know it was Android software. That means you are getting rid of Android software on your BlackBerry more out of principle than anything practical. How long can this go on given that there probably isn't any new BB10 hardware coming and almost certainly no new software.
    DrBoomBotz and Chrisy like this.
    01-07-16 05:15 PM
    could you please tell if are you sure it is only out of principle? I had some questions when i saw a couple of times the menu button in the upper left corner of the application disappearing and looking weird with weird graphics, the application hanging. i believe it could go for another couple of years, don't need that many applications, the browser can handle most of the things. BB seems to believe the same, that they could go for another year with no need to upgrade the software. Do you believe they will give up on governments and state agencies? I doubt it.
    Did someone notice how stable and beautiful de graphics are for the native BB applications? The way the application is integrated within the system all the way and the beautiful interoperability with the other software such as the screen sharing on the BBM Video? The way the software it is executed, like quality all around. When am working on Android have the feeling that all I am dealing with are cheap copies of other software Google stumbled upon its way of making this OS.
    01-08-16 04:03 AM
    Still, it was OK when you didn't know it was Android software. That means you are getting rid of Android software on your BlackBerry more out of principle than anything practical. How long can this go on given that there probably isn't any new BB10 hardware coming and almost certainly no new software.
    I forgot to say that besides principles, we need to realize that Google got way to powerful, it is also a matter of security and safety, privacy. Why would I run Google services on a BB device? Yes I won't have Google hangouts, hangouts dialer, but BB has so much quality in its software am not sure if I will need any other. Eg. The calculator has some convertor built within it as well, so for what I would needed two or 3 applications on Android, calculator, convertor and some other ones on BB I only have one which is already built in. And am not referring yet at the graphics and the way the native BB app is beautifully executed and integrated, the way it flawlessly works or the additional access to different details the Android applications would have asked for when installing them.
    01-08-16 04:15 AM
    So is there a way we could tell which software on BB world is made especially for Blackberry 10 or for Blackberry 10 and which are the ones are running in an Android container? Not sure yet if the Android containers and applications when they are operating or are being executed are affecting the BlackBerry 10 system files and they way they are interfering with the overall operation of the system. On a Mac Os X for example when running a virtual machine such as Parallels it does some stuff to the system files.
    01-08-16 04:20 AM
    So is there a way we could tell which software on BB world is made especially for Blackberry 10 or for Blackberry 10 and which are the ones are running in an Android container? Not sure yet if the Android containers and applications when they are operating or are being executed are affecting the BlackBerry 10 system files and they way they are interfering with the overall operation of the system. On a Mac Os X for example when running a virtual machine such as Parallels it does some stuff to the system files.
    Screenshots, that's it basically

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 04:43 AM
    I forgot to say that besides principles, we need to realize that Google got way to powerful, it is also a matter of security and safety, privacy. Why would I run Google services on a BB device? Yes I won't have Google hangouts, hangouts dialer, but BB has so much quality in its software am not sure if I will need any other. Eg. The calculator has some convertor built within it as well, so for what I would needed two or 3 applications on Android, calculator, convertor and some other ones on BB I only have one which is already built in. And am not referring yet at the graphics and the way the native BB app is beautifully executed and integrated, the way it flawlessly works or the additional access to different details the Android applications would have asked for when installing them.
    The thing is, the Android ports in BBW had nothing to do with Google (as in they don't include Google play services). Android apps could and still can be built without any Google API, just Android ones.
    01-08-16 05:04 AM
    Native BlackBerry 10 app-img_20160108_195050.png

Can you see the black bar on the app? that's your first clue if it's an android app running in your BlackBerry 10 phone.

And you can easily tell if the UI / design of the app follows the BlackBerry 10 UI or if it follows the Android UI anyway.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 05:53 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160108_195050.png 
Views:	636 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	386957

Can you see the black bar on the app? that's your first clue if it's an android app running in your BlackBerry 10 phone.

And you can easily tell if the UI / design of the app follows the BlackBerry 10 UI or if it follows the Android UI anyway.

Posted via CB10
    could you tell if you are referring to the one at the bottom?
    01-08-16 08:33 AM
    could you tell if you are referring to the one at the bottom?
    Yep, he/she is referring to the bar at the bottom.
    Native Apps have different coloured and sized bars for a start

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 08:41 AM
    Yep, he/she is referring to the bar at the bottom.
    Native Apps have different coloured and sized bars for a start

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. What else?
    01-08-16 08:57 AM
    Thank you. What else?
    Swiping down on the top of the screen on an Android App shows a bar like this:

Native BlackBerry 10 app-img_20160108_150927_edit.png

Native Apps show one like this most of the time:

Native BlackBerry 10 app-img_20160108_151105_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    danifulger and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-08-16 09:11 AM
    And things like Animations and the UI are different, you'd be able to tell the difference when you compare a Native and Android App

Posted via CB10
    danifulger likes this.
    01-08-16 09:14 AM
    AppNinja will tell you if your installed apps are pre-installed, installed from an apk, from beta zone or blackberry world.

Well worth the $.99 just for being able to see the app's permissions.
    01-08-16 06:06 PM
    AppNinja will tell you if your installed apps are pre-installed, installed from an apk, from beta zone or blackberry world.

Well worth the $.99 just for being able to see the app's permissions.
    I was just about to point that out until I read your post. So to all wondering, AppNinja is your best bet for determining whether your app is Native, Android or Web OS.
    01-08-16 06:48 PM
    could you please tell if are you sure it is only out of principle? I had some questions when i saw a couple of times the menu button in the upper left corner of the application disappearing and looking weird with weird graphics, the application hanging. i believe it could go for another couple of years, don't need that many applications, the browser can handle most of the things. BB seems to believe the same, that they could go for another year with no need to upgrade the software. Do you believe they will give up on governments and state agencies? I doubt it.
    Did someone notice how stable and beautiful de graphics are for the native BB applications? The way the application is integrated within the system all the way and the beautiful interoperability with the other software such as the screen sharing on the BBM Video? The way the software it is executed, like quality all around. When am working on Android have the feeling that all I am dealing with are cheap copies of other software Google stumbled upon its way of making this OS.
    I echo you. :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-08-16 08:17 PM
    It's always been understood many apps are ported, and that android apps not ported would for the most part run. Some certainly better than others. I imagine it's possible for me to survive without any android apps, but there are so many useful ones I've had installed over the years. Some I could manage utilizing the browser for, but the app offers features the browser doesn't, or provides a much better user experience, while others are infinitely useful and the browser offers no alternative. For example...

Let's start with Skype. My daughter, son in law and grandson live over a thousand miles away. There's no BlackBerry in the house, and BBM video won't work cross-platform. Skype is the only rational solution, if I want to see them while chatting while mobile.

Google maps can be better than BlackBerry maps in many situations. I consider it necessary, and use it at least monthly.

My bank's app allows me to deposit checks. I can't do that from my browser, via my BlackBerry or PC.

Eat24 is an awesome app we use almost weekly. While they have a website, the app is a much nicer way to utilize their services on my phone. It's a Yelp creation, and that app too is better suited than their website when mobile.

Park Chicago is crap through the browser.

Pandora isn't available in BlackBerry World.

When I sold Toyotas, the Entune app was critical to my success.

I could go on and on. You can make a choice to limit yourself, but I bet in the end, you'll find an apps usefulness is far more important than its source of development.
    Ronindan likes this.
    01-08-16 10:08 PM
    BB seems to believe the same, that they could go for another year with no need to upgrade the software. Do you believe they will give up on governments and state agencies? I doubt it.
    John Chen confirms commitment to BlackBerry 10, updates coming in 2016 | CrackBerry.com
    01-09-16 02:06 AM
    Just as I was saying about the importance of distinguishing in between the true native BB10 apps, and even then avoid the WebWorks developed ones but this is another story, here is a very interesting post made by the initial "porters" themselves about BB10 and the Android runtime. The post by Martin Zimmerman is exactly what I believed for all this time yet not many believed me. This is time is coming from the the "porters" of the QNX system themselves. Just another reason to dislike JAVA even more...
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...ntent_res_name
    Last edited by danifulger; 02-09-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: just because...
    02-09-16 03:27 PM
    Uhh. Mountain out of a mole hill...

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    02-09-16 04:08 PM
    Uhh. Mountain out of a mole hill...

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    ? if i am exaggerating, they are too?
    02-09-16 04:15 PM
    Just as I was saying about the importance of distinguishing in between the true native BB10 apps, and even then avoid the WebWorks developed ones but this is another story, here is a very interesting post made by the initial "porters" themselves about BB10 and the Android runtime. The post by Martin Zimmerman is exactly what I believed for all this time yet not many believed me. This is time is coming from the the "porters" of the QNX system themselves. Just another reason to dislike JAVA even more...
    This article is about getting QNX to boot on a new board.
    The delusional author seems to hold himself responsible for the BBOS team getting the chop.

This article has nothing to do with the android runtime.
    This article has nothing to do with JAVA.

What did you you believe?
    What points are you trying to make and how does this article support them?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 02-10-16 at 10:36 AM.
    02-09-16 05:02 PM
    That means you are getting rid of Android software on your BlackBerry more out of principle than anything practical.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...drain-1064729/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lysis-1058115/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...stall-1064754/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-apps-1064705/
    03-04-16 03:10 PM
    This article is about getting QNX to boot on a new board.
    The delusional author seems to hold himself responsible for the BBOS team getting the chop.

This article has nothing to do with the android runtime.
    This article has nothing to do with JAVA.

What did you you believe?
    What points are you trying to make and how does this article support them?
    I wrote "....the post by martin zimmerman"....are you on a rampage or something?
    Quote from the comment by Zimmerman, author's boss at the time : "The BlackBerry OS had both a public and private existence, what the public believed was the OS, was primarily the Java JVM" ...jvm=java virtual machine. it wasn't just about the article but about the comment made by his boss as well...if you follow....Java is strongly related to Android ...i hope you can follow me..."There were implementations of the BlackBerry JVM running on PlayBook, and later on BB10."....do you follow me? "....The memory requirements (as mentioned previously) were significant. The same was true about the Android runtime...." could you read the article before dissing more posts?

03-04-16 05:33 PM
58 123