Yes I'm sure you have all read the rumours and seen the screen grabs, but why would we need Google Play?

In my view we don't need 2 app stores on our phones. Amazon are doing a fine job filling their own store with android games and apps, and so are Samsung.

Why can't we just follow that model, attract android developers to simply post their APK into BlackBerry World and let whatever new implementation of the runtime do the rest? Surely the reason we don't see android apps at the moment is the work involved making a fully compatible bar file?

I know we see issues with keyboard and there are work arounds to this, but wouldn't it just be easier for BlackBerry to implement a better keyboard support within the runtime? They must have this in mind already if considering connecting to Google Play.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 11:35 AM
    Yes I'm sure you have all read the rumours and seen the screen grabs, but why would we need Google Play?

In my view we don't need 2 app stores on our phones. Amazon are doing a fine job filling their own store with android games and apps, and so are Samsung.

Why can't we just follow that model, attract android developers to simply post their APK into BlackBerry World and let whatever new implementation of the runtime do the rest? Surely the reason we don't see android apps at the moment is the work involved making a fully compatible bar file?

I know we see issues with keyboard and there are work arounds to this, but wouldn't it just be easier for BlackBerry to implement a better keyboard support within the runtime? They must have this in mind already if considering connecting to Google Play.

Thoughts?
    Re the bolded portion, do you really think it is as simple as it sounds? Who says the problem having more developers on the BB10 platform comes down to not having a compatible bar file? I think the dynamics are at work are a bit more complicated than that.
    11-10-13 11:49 AM
    If Google Play is on the phone, then the average consumer's misgivings about the lack of apps is gone. Simple as that. No one really cares if an app is built for BlackBerry or not.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    11-10-13 11:53 AM
    Well it must be an obstacle mustn't it?

Say I'm a dev and my Android app converts fine and it runs. But the usual issue with the BlackBerry keyboard rears it's ugly head. I might not consider the work to correct this worth doing.

So if the plan to go with Google Play is on the cards BlackBerry must be addressing the compatability issues. If this is the case why not just entice developers to post their APK to BlackBerry World?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 11:54 AM
    My question would be: how would accounts be handled in Google Play? Would we be able to stay with just the BBID? Or would we have to create a separate Google account?

And, if we need a Google account, can we tie it to an existing email if any type like we used to, or would we have to have specifically a Gmail account like you are required to have for other Android phones?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 01:36 PM
    Why couldn't you discuss this in one of the two main threads? People be dying for attention..

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-10-13 02:12 PM
    Why couldn't you discuss this in one of the two main threads? People be dying for attention..

Posted via CB10
    Choice, I chose not to really. But thanks for your input.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:27 PM
    If Google Play is on the phone, then the average consumer's misgivings about the lack of apps is gone. Simple as that. No one really cares if an app is built for BlackBerry or not.

Posted via CB10
    No fu*** given once we have the newest runtime. As long as it works lol

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:46 PM
    Even though it would be huge for the average consumer, I don't care one way or another if it comes to my device.
    11-10-13 03:14 PM
    This is a terrible idea, imagine all the viruses people could be exposed to, it's counter intuitive to security,

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:29 PM
    This is a terrible idea, imagine all the viruses people could be exposed to, it's counter intuitive to security,

Posted via CB10
    It's all safe inside the Android runtime. No exposure to viruses.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:37 PM
    I hope what they do is leave the Play store off the phones and require an app download. Then there are less concerns. But if it is an easy download and then you get all of Google play, I think that could be a good move to get reluctant users on board.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:10 PM
    How would revenue be split?
    11-10-13 09:52 PM