08-29-14 03:27 PM
161 12345 ...
    The Z30 only boasts a larger screen and a processor that is only 200Mhz faster. Not exactly a major upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    The progress would be if the Z30 should have had the IPS screen of the Z10 ( the actual screen is un normal dark and this amoled type is not at all practically...) and that chassis made of metal not plastic as I undestand. Just this. The rest of specs are ok.

Proudly Z10 owner
    07-27-14 12:50 AM
    Ok, so yesterday I upgraded my smartphone from a Z10 to an S5.

Quite frankly, I was sick and tired of my z10 rebooting 5-6 times a day as well as dropping approx 30-40% of ANY call I was on and a battery that would need to be charged at least 3x a day. Like many BlackBerry users, I use my device for both business and pleasure. But the bugs in BB10 made using this device unbearable. I will not tolerate random phone farts and hiccups in the middle of my day and I also need a phone that doesn't need to be constantly plugged in.

That being said, I got myself a Samsung S5 yesterday. I find Android to be the most cumbersome POS. There doesn't seem to be any flow to the OS. The ergonomics of using and holding a phone that needs a "back button" is very uncomfortable unless you want to always have 2 hands on your device.
    I am however impressed with the battery life. I have been using my phone non stop ALL day (it's now 7pm) and I still have 38% battery life.

I just want to say that I have a major appreciation for the flow and feel of BB10. The Hub is very very convenient and unique. The erganomics of using BB10 is second to none.

I just wanted to say that I wish BlackBerry had a stable and reliable product because when it works, it's amazing. But I can no longer tolerate the glitches and hiccups that are predictability unpredictable.

Android is a very immature OS and feels like a toy with absolutely no flow or consistency. Having multiple emails accounts on Android is a joke and I may ad well have multiple devices each with a different account.
    However, at least my Android hasn't rebooted since I got it, which my Z10 has already done 3 times and dropped 2 calls.

I wish BlackBerry was stable and reliable. But in my experience, it has been nothing short of unpredictable. BlackBerry has features and a mature feeling flow and design. But I can't run my business on unreliable.
    The only analogy I can use is that BlackBerry is like the smartest kid in school, but has a drug problem. You know they are smart and have amazing potential, but you can't trust them until they kick the drugs (bugs).

It's a trade off for me... Android seems to be a childrens OS without any real design considerations for flow, consistency and functionality.
    BlackBerry has all of that, but is riddled with bugs and flaws and is therefore unreliable.

Part of me wants to return the S5 for a Z30, but I'm jaded and not sure I can trust BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    should of got z30
    07-27-14 12:50 AM
    Once again, and I'm not trying to be argumentative either, but your phone is a lemon. You should have or should trade it in for a replacement. If it's too late then I'd say you waited too long. What phones remain on sale for carriers for three years by the way?I've never seen one not get EOS after one to two years.

Posted via CB10
    This one.

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-27-14 01:45 AM
    Between me and my kids, we have 3 Z10s and a Z30.
    I have indeed experienced random reboots on one of the Z10s. I must say it started after over a year of use. As I also have a Dev Alpha B (that died on me about a year ago) and several bundles (charger+battery) I had the freedom to swap batteries and...shazaaammm....reboots gone. BTW, the same battery is working well on a different Z10.

So my thinking is that the reboots are not a result of an OS glitch but rather caused by a combination of battery+device. Either corrosion, or bad connectivity. Obviously I tried first cleaning the connectors, updating/downgrading OS etc.

As far as Android vs. BB10, I've had a S3 as a secondary device about 2 years ago (my main device was the Torch 9860). I definitely agree with your comments on OS flow. That was true even in OS v10.0.10 etc. not to mention 10.2.1 and 10.3.

BB10 is both stable and reliable!!!, the Z30 is the best device I've had so far (and I had most...). Its battery life, functionality and stability are awesome. I'll never switch to any other platform for as long as BlackBerry remains in the handset business!!
    07-27-14 02:39 AM
    Sorry to hear that, but I can understand you. Battery life on my Z10 improved a lot (!) with, you may check it out. It's lasting a full day. I had random reboots. I think the next full touch BlackBerry will come with heavy improved battery performance and overall improvements. Stay tuned.

07-27-14 03:53 AM
    your a d## ####### whatever, but you should bought the BlackBerry Z30.

I writing articles on my beast and never had a reboot. I used sometimes one hour to copy,past,write, copy links etc to an article but never
    it fails me....just ones.

I had a shutdown ones when I was in Jakarta and I was sitting outside and my Phone get to HOT it just shutdown. I try to start it but it shut down 3 times so i decided to get in in the house with the AC and after 10 minutes it just works fine. The Phone was protecting it self against me so good is the BlackBerry Z30.

But serious dude ios 7 is better than android these days where android kicks *** before 4.0. Sorry to say it but you will miss the HUB, Keyboard and the real multitasking experience.
    07-27-14 08:07 AM
    I'm in IT myself, and I am a network engineer. I have multiple Cisco certs, Nortel, Avaya and even Mitel.
    So I am familiar with the relationship between Hardware bugs vs. OS bugs.

The bugs I'm experiencing SEEM to be OS related from my troubleshooting (batteries, chargers, network signal strength, new SIM ). I've done lots of testing and can not see any issues other than OS memory leaks or random code generating errors.
    Especially given that I have browsed several threads and it seems that I am most certainly not alone on my experience and frustration.

I also want a phone that has guaranteed future support. The Z10 is EOS after only 1.5 years. Typical life cycle is usually at least 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    I'm assuming EOS means end of sale in this context? If so, 1.5 years is actually not that bad. EOS and EOL are completely different in completely different contexts as well. You'll notice actually most Android devices do not stay on shelves for over a year. Same with Windows Phone devices. Only the iPhone seems to be in store for longer than that and that is due to Apple reintroducing the model the same way BlackBerry reintroduced the Bold 9900.

EOS =/= No future updates.
    07-27-14 08:59 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is both stable and reliable. I don't have any "farts or hiccups" or reboots on my device. I used a Z10 for about eight months and now using a Q10. Zero problems. I suggest you ditch the POS S5 and try a Z30.
    Dido. I have 10 Z10's , 2 Z30's and 1 Q10 running flawlessly . The Z10's for a year plus now since they were available.
    07-27-14 09:03 AM
    I have had my Z10 for almost a year. I never had a random reboot until this new OS (.3253) Since I installed that one by autoloader, I've noticed random reboots a few times a week. I is annoying but not enough to change a phone.
    As for battery life, if you can send $75 dollars, by a Mungen 3800mAh battery. It will last a minimum of 18 hours with heavy use. That has to be enough for everyone. Moderate use allows for 2 days of life. Comes with a larger back door (unlike the iPhone backdoor!).
    Unfortunately for me, I want a full touch phone and I don't see one coming from Blackberry any time soon. In another 6 months, I'd expect my Z10 to be obsolete in terms of speed, unless 10.3.1 revives the Android app loading issues (speed and choppiness). I love my Z10, but a bigger iPhone may win me over. I 'd love a Z30 that ran on ATT LTE, but that isn't going to happen. It's all so sad that a company with a great product cannot get out of their own way.
    Last edited by Elite1; 07-28-14 at 05:10 AM.
    07-27-14 01:02 PM
    I had a Z10 for 8 months. Yes the battery sucked but with the spare battery bundle it was fine. On an impulse I traded it in for a Z30. Wow, this is what I wished the Z10 was. Rock solid all the way around. Never reboots, but my 10 never did either. The screen, the battery the smoothness...its just awesome.

Then one day browsing the Web it just started closing my open apps one at a time and then the screen went black. It rebooted to a flashing red light. Googled that and came to the conclusion that the board was fried. I took it back to Telus and they gave me a Z10 as a loaner. I was surprised how it performed. It was almost as smooth as my 30, but again the battery was day and night. I did prefer it's size and weight to my Z30. It's smaller and definitely lighter, you can barely feel it in your pocket.

My vision is going and I refuse to get glasses so I did miss the larger screen on the Z30. Two weeks later I got my Z30 back. Without a doubt it's a better product but the Z10 isn't bad other than the battery.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 03:24 PM
    I will add my voice that I have a VZW STL4 z10 and have only had a scant few reboots and dropped calls. Mostly, I can blame this on my installation of Leaked OS's.

I would say that if I had your problems, I may have made the same decisions as you. You seem like you are very reasonable and are willing to believe your experience was quite atypical. I hope you resolve your issues and come back to BB.

Take care and good luck!
    07-27-14 06:09 PM
    To OP,

Install aquamail on your droid, set the smart folder for all your accounts, all mail. It's very similar looking and acting to the hub. Not quite as flow-good, but better than stock. If you use nova launcher you can set an email widget left of the home screen and resize it full screen so you have a psuedo-hub to the left like a BlackBerry.

Like this http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rently-943243/

I have a z30, no dropped calls but I get about 2-3 reboots a week.
    Last edited by ronpfid; 07-27-14 at 06:54 PM.
    07-27-14 06:38 PM
    I guess I don't blame you for being unhappy if you are having that many problems with your Z10. I have an STL100-3 on AT&T and after 1 year, have never seen a random reboot, ever. I also have a STL100-4 on Verizon as my main phone and have not had any reboots for well over a year. My Q10 did reboot a few times until an update fixed that. My Z30 has never ever had any of those issues you mention. Seems like the Z30 would be a great fit for you.
    07-28-14 04:09 AM
    I think you just got the wrong device, I'm sorry to all the people in here who have a Z10, but the Z10 was really a dissapointment and should have been released in 2012. The device itself and the specs make the BB10 experience below average!

The S5 is a very good device, but i know what you mean, the OS feels like it was made for a teenager!

Good luck
    07-28-14 04:26 AM
    The whole 5 random reboots thing with emailing made me laugh, ngl.
    07-28-14 04:45 AM
    ... only complaint has been the Z30's screen is a bit dark.
    The progress would be if the Z30 should have had the IPS screen of the Z10 ( the actual screen is un normal dark and this amoled type is not at all practically...) and that chassis made of metal not plastic as I undestand. Just this. The rest of specs are ok.
    I don't think the second member quoted actually owns a Z30, but anyone with a Z30 whose screen is dimmer than a Z10 needs to exchange their Z30. I have 2 Z30s and 3 Z10s. The screens of both Z30s are clearly brighter. Much brighter.

It seems to be a somewhat common issue... something to do with ambient light sensor I believe.

Open your BBVE app (BlackBerry Virtual Expert) and go to Tests tab. Conduct the Display Tests and Sensor Tests. In Display Tests, you'll see screen as bright as it should be. In Sensor Tests, you might see a Fail with light sensor test.

I don't understand comment from 2nd quote about amoled being impractical.
    07-28-14 05:39 AM
    Omg. I hate my z10 too because it doesn't have problems.

Posted via CB10
    dazzleaj likes this.
    07-28-14 05:41 AM
    The Z30 only boasts a larger screen and a processor that is only 200Mhz faster. Not exactly a major upgrade.
    From personal experience, that 200MHz actually makes a noticeable difference very often.

That said, other differences include:
    • 38% larger screen but only 18% larger overall surface area
    • Quad-core GPU
    • Amazing reception improvement from Paratek antenna assembly
    • 60% larger battery capacity
    • Amoled + Dark Theme realize additional power savings
    • Louder & clearer Natural Sound speakers
    • USB OTG
    • Miracast & Wi-Fi Direct
    • FM radio

Frankly I think the Z30 should have had even greater strides ahead IMO, but still there are numerous improvements over Z10.
    07-28-14 06:01 AM
    Dido. I have 10 Z10's , 2 Z30's and 1 Q10 running flawlessly . The Z10's for a year plus now since they were available.
    "Me too!"

Sorry, just saying!
    Jakob Greve and lift like this.
    07-28-14 06:12 AM
    Me too. i had my Z10 which i had purchased back in March 2013 .Used it until last month ,sold it and got myself the Z30, the most amazing phone with the most beautiful super Amoled screen. The Z10 was a good phone running a new OS however it did have some lags but hardly noticeable. I cant remember even once restarting the phone due to any lags or bugs. Loved it but my Z30 is the ULTIMATE Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

lift likes this.
    07-28-14 06:21 AM
    Try to do a test factory reset with no overload if apps and use it see how things go.
    I have stl3 and had no issues battery last till 5 pm but had a spare battery to keep me going non stop.
    Too bad you had a bad experience
    07-28-14 06:25 AM
    I'm just playing devils advocate here but... there seems to have been A LOT of lemons out there given the threads I've read.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just speaking from experience

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that people only post when there are problems. How many people take the time to create a thread that reads "OK, Six months and I haven't had any problems with my Z10." It is a skewed result if you look at forums like this.
    lift likes this.
    07-28-14 07:39 AM
    Not rocket science here. Something was wrong with the Z10. An autoloader would have probably fixed it if it was not hardware. If it was hardware, things happen with every phone brand. I have multiple Z10's and Z30's and never had reboots or the problems you had. If battery was a concern and you like BB10 then a Z30 would solve that.
    Android is crap, for many reasons. I'm glad you got to see that for yourself. Get a Z30 and all will be well again.
    Katika99 likes this.
    07-28-14 09:14 AM
    My wife and I are using z10 for a year now and no-single-random-reboot.
    I dont allow apps to run in headless mode.

Try to uncheck all apps headless mode and try again.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 09:48 AM
    I had a z10 for about 10 month. Never a problem however the battery life was horrible.
    same for me, but still have my Z10. Am starting to consider going android as a result. Will wait and see 10.3.1 and Android L and then decide. No hurry as, apart from the useless battery (I always have to carry a spare and I am not an intensive user), I am happy with my Z10.
    07-28-14 10:50 AM
161 12345 ...