correct, and there are still dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of people still reporting these issues. It's obvious now, to me at least, as I've disassembled mine and reapplied thermal paste, after multiple battery replacements and unit replacements that there was / is a major manufacturing defect with the z10 line. I'm not the only one that's concluded this. They get too hot, they warp the battery and they start rebooting.
    So the hardware issue is the thermal paste not making good contact with the CPU? Is the thermal paste going bad or was it never applied correctly in the first place. I find this interesting because I have been an electronics technician for over 32 years now and stuff like this interests me. I have not see a problem with my many Z10's or Z30's but if I do, I will keep this in mind.
    07-28-14 09:56 PM
    Not everyone is running the most current OS build. AT&T didn't push 10.2 to me until April or May.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I know but the rebooting problems with the OS were a very long time ago. Basically at release of the Z10. There have been multiple updates since then.
    07-28-14 09:58 PM
    I have a number of apps sideloaded and have no issues, they all work very well, as does my phone. I sideloaded Kik, and old version of Skype and Line. They all work well.
    Yep. It's not the soft phone apps the OP references, but I have used RDClient, citrix receiver, team viewer, cisco technical support, n-central mobile. All pretty straightforward but do the trick.
    07-28-14 10:22 PM
    So the hardware issue is the thermal paste not making good contact with the CPU? Is the thermal paste going bad or was it never applied correctly in the first place. I find this interesting because I have been an electronics technician for over 32 years now and stuff like this interests me. I have not see a problem with my many Z10's or Z30's but if I do, I will keep this in mind.
    basically, the few people that have actually taken their z10's apart with this issue have found very poor application or no thermal paste present, myself included.

someone documented this better than I. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...etimes-916641/

I found the same thing really, applied thermal paste, and now my phone does not reboot and doesn't get hot either. It took me 5 batteries before I got around to doing this. Basically no thermal paste, so the phone gets overly hot, which destroys the battery, even though it looks fine physically, it messes it up enough that it no longer seats well, which is what causes the reboots.
    lift, Elite1 and dazzleaj like this.
    07-29-14 12:18 AM
    The Z30 is what you should have gotten. Honestly it blows the Z10 away in every way. The Z10 was my first touch screen phone, and I liked the keyboard so much, I had to get the Z30 when it became available on Shop BlackBerry in the U.S.

The battery is a warrior. I have never had it die on me during the day, and usually I have like 50% or so left after being unplugged and in use from 10am-6pm. The screen is very nice, which I was relieved by considering people were crying about the PPI.

The phone feels so solid, looks and feels luxurious, the speakers are amazing for a phone (and a BlackBerry no less!), and I just have no complaints (other than the fact that I got a lemon and the battery died and wouldn't charge and Shop BlackBerry had to replace it AND IT TOOK ONE MONTH FOR THEM TO DO THIS!).

With the Z30, you get all the greatness of the OS, plus a bigger/better battery, and a phone that feels like it was made for the high end user base. I am a qwerty fanatic, but honestly, I love the Z30. I would still pick my Q10 if I had to use one device, because I love love love that keyboard and form factor, but I've thought of excuses as to why I should get a second line JUST to use my Z30 and Q10 at the same time.
    07-29-14 12:32 AM
    He he he talk OS to OS or Hardware to hardware.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 02:25 AM
    You upgraded from a Z10 to S5. I think you meant downgraded.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 02:27 AM
    Newer better..

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 02:28 AM
    You upgraded from a Z10 to S5. I think you meant downgraded.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Posted from a D618
    katiepea and lift like this.
    07-29-14 03:13 AM
    basically, the few people that have actually taken their z10's apart with this issue have found very poor application or no thermal paste present, myself included.

someone documented this better than I. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...etimes-916641/

I found the same thing really, applied thermal paste, and now my phone does not reboot and doesn't get hot either. It took me 5 batteries before I got around to doing this. Basically no thermal paste, so the phone gets overly hot, which destroys the battery, even though it looks fine physically, it messes it up enough that it no longer seats well, which is what causes the reboots.
    Thanks for the info. My curiosity is peaked now. I just may be taking one of my out of warranty Z10's apart and have a look. If thermal paste is missing on the CPU, I may have to put some on. I am familiar with the process. I have done it to laptops and desktop computers numerous times.
    07-29-14 07:46 AM
    Maybe the thermal paste assembly line worker was on his union break and missed a few batches of z10s.

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3253
    07-29-14 09:46 AM
    From personal experience, that 200MHz actually makes a noticeable difference very often.

That said, other differences include:
    • 38% larger screen but only 18% larger overall surface area
    • Quad-core GPU
    • Amazing reception improvement from Paratek antenna assembly
    • 60% larger battery capacity
    • Amoled + Dark Theme realize additional power savings
    • Louder & clearer Natural Sound speakers
    • USB OTG
    • Miracast & Wi-Fi Direct
    • FM radio

Frankly I think the Z30 should have had even greater strides ahead IMO, but still there are numerous improvements over Z10.
    All this and great noise-cancelling microphones too. I had one client that switched from Galaxy S4 to the Z30, he was in a loud bar talking to someone on the Z30 phone and they didn't believe he was in a loud place because it was so quiet and they heard him perfectly.
    lift and Elite1 like this.
    07-29-14 12:57 PM
    All this and great noise-cancelling microphones too. I had one client that switched from Galaxy S4 to the Z30, he was in a loud bar talking to someone on the Z30 phone and they didn't believe he was in a loud place because it was so quiet and they heard him perfectly.
    I have a difficult time understanding my wife when we talk on the phone. The S4 just doesn't seem that clear to me. Overall, it is a good Android phone, I just prefer the Z10 and don't care for the way the S4 handles voice, it is not clear to me.
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 04:39 PM
    I can second all the positive comments about the Z30 - great battery life, much faster than the Z10, larger screen, USBTG etc. Only negative is that it keeps dialing calls at random and also takes random pictures. The Z10 is also a great phone. Never had reboot issues with either.

Have had dropped calls and Rogers advised me that could be due to the phone constantly looking for the fastest network. Their recommendation was to set 4/3/2g network speed until their LTE was better deployed. This did indeed work.

Z30)++
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    07-29-14 07:03 PM
    Only negative is that it keeps dialing calls at random and also takes random pictures.
    I don't have that problem. Even when the phone is in my pocket. I wonder what is causing that in your case.
    07-29-14 09:40 PM
    The weird thing is that my z10 has suddenly started giving me amazing battery life. I didn't make any changes. I take my phone off the charger and it lasts until 1130 most days with power to spare. The only thing I know that is different is that color LED message interferes with the vibrate notifications so I don't buzz as often as I used to. Could the vibratory eat up that much battery?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:25 PM
    Could the vibratory eat up that much battery?
    The vibrator is a little motor. They do eat a lot of battery.
    07-29-14 10:36 PM
    Love the analogy to the smart kid in class but on drugs. Exactly how I feel and see it.

Just like how people misunderstand that smart kid on drugs is how people misunderstand BlackBerry. They don't see that the kid is smart, they just see the kid on drugs; and once society labels the kid as that, then it's hard to change their minds.

Posted via CB10
    klfox26 likes this.
    07-29-14 11:39 PM
    So in conclusion to my last post I absolutely agree with you that the bugs need to be addressed very quickly or else the bleeding of customers is going to continue and possibly aggressively.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:58 PM
    You either:

A) treated your z10 like garbage and/or made poor choices with the phone (ie linking a billion contacts)

B) had a lemon device

C) this thermal paste thing appears to be legit... I know nothing of it however.

With a combination of:

D) the z10 is blackberrys first venture into touch screen and blackberry 10 - and its issues show. Battery life has always been mediocre / poor for z10 but what you're describing is ridiculous and an anomaly... the various glitches that exist such as Wifi connectivity are mostly being worked on and addressed.

If I were you I would have simply bought a z30. My move from z10 to z30 has been amazing the battery life is so gooooood.

I went from a q10 to s4 and I share the exact same views as you, then I bounced back to z10 and finally z30.

Android didn't cut it.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 12:57 AM
    O.P. Sorry about the Z10. I had one when they first came out. I had issues with it rebooting all the time and terrible battery life. Before the updates it was capable of only one alarm so I installed a 3rd party alarm app. It wasn't headless so every time the phone rebooted I missed the alarms because the active frames closed. Battery life was horrible so I got a Galaxy S4 which I hated. Now I have a Z30 and I can honestly say that this is the best phone I have ever had. None of the Z10's shortcomings. However, the phone is far from perfect. The speakers are awesome but the phones volume is not too loud when on calls and the volume buttons are a little chintzy. If they fixed these 2 issues it would be perfect. The camera is decent, the screen is not the best but that is the trade off for spectacular battery life. I highly suggest you pick one up. Nothing beats BB10. I may get the Passport when it arrives.
    08-02-14 08:59 AM
    The two biggest gripes with my Z10 are the reboots and the undersized battery. That said, my reboots were never that frequent, and I was already frustrated with it. I never ended up getting it swapped out because having to go through my carrier is a nightmare. I would have been out of a phone for weeks. Too bad there is no way to go to BlackBerry directly.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-02-14 09:46 AM
    The vibrator is a little motor. They do eat a lot of battery.
    I use vibrate exclusively and routinely get all day out my my battery running a mix of BB10 and Android apps. I have four email addresses set up on the phone along with Facebook, BBM used daily ad often as well as Line and Kik used less often. As long as I'm in a good signal area I get great battery life. My battery life is worse when I travel out of the country since I am usually in a bad signal area or aon a ship using Cellular @ Sea.

My thought is that something changed in your area that affected your signal.
    08-02-14 11:31 AM
    I use vibrate exclusively and routinely get all day out my my battery running a mix of BB10 and Android apps. I have four email addresses set up on the phone along with Facebook, BBM used daily ad often as well as Line and Kik used less often. As long as I'm in a good signal area I get great battery life. My battery life is worse when I travel out of the country since I am usually in a bad signal area or aon a ship using Cellular @ Sea.

My thought is that something changed in your area that affected your signal.
    I didn't say vibrate uses the most battery. The screen and a weak cellular signal eats the battery the most. But having a little motor spinning like crazy is going to eat battery too.
    08-02-14 11:35 AM
    For what it's worth, I am in the UK on Vodafone and I purchased my Z10 on Feb 4th 2013, so I have had it 18 months now. It has worked flawlessly for me except for occasionally forgetting my email passwords. Battery life could be better but I have learned to live with it by having a spare battery so that I am not caught out. I am delighted with the phone. If the Z30 is even better, I'll upgrade to that when my contract expires, but the Z10 does everything that I want. I'm aware that some users have had issues especially in the USA but my experience has been positive from day one.
    Heinz Katchup and lift like this.
    08-02-14 12:16 PM
161 ... 34567