Ok, so yesterday I upgraded my smartphone from a Z10 to an S5.

Quite frankly, I was sick and tired of my z10 rebooting 5-6 times a day as well as dropping approx 30-40% of ANY call I was on and a battery that would need to be charged at least 3x a day. Like many BlackBerry users, I use my device for both business and pleasure. But the bugs in BB10 made using this device unbearable. I will not tolerate random phone farts and hiccups in the middle of my day and I also need a phone that doesn't need to be constantly plugged in.

That being said, I got myself a Samsung S5 yesterday. I find Android to be the most cumbersome POS. There doesn't seem to be any flow to the OS. The ergonomics of using and holding a phone that needs a "back button" is very uncomfortable unless you want to always have 2 hands on your device.
    I am however impressed with the battery life. I have been using my phone non stop ALL day (it's now 7pm) and I still have 38% battery life.

I just want to say that I have a major appreciation for the flow and feel of BB10. The Hub is very very convenient and unique. The erganomics of using BB10 is second to none.

I just wanted to say that I wish BlackBerry had a stable and reliable product because when it works, it's amazing. But I can no longer tolerate the glitches and hiccups that are predictability unpredictable.

Android is a very immature OS and feels like a toy with absolutely no flow or consistency. Having multiple emails accounts on Android is a joke and I may ad well have multiple devices each with a different account.
    However, at least my Android hasn't rebooted since I got it, which my Z10 has already done 3 times and dropped 2 calls.

I wish BlackBerry was stable and reliable. But in my experience, it has been nothing short of unpredictable. BlackBerry has features and a mature feeling flow and design. But I can't run my business on unreliable.
    The only analogy I can use is that BlackBerry is like the smartest kid in school, but has a drug problem. You know they are smart and have amazing potential, but you can't trust them until they kick the drugs (bugs).

It's a trade off for me... Android seems to be a childrens OS without any real design considerations for flow, consistency and functionality.
    BlackBerry has all of that, but is riddled with bugs and flaws and is therefore unreliable.

Part of me wants to return the S5 for a Z30, but I'm jaded and not sure I can trust BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by d3r3k79; 07-26-14 at 07:02 PM.
    blueberrymerry and ioan_calin like this.
    07-26-14 06:51 PM
    I was about to write, if you don't like the Android UI, you could have gotten a Z30.
    I had a Z10 for 9 months and was fortunate to not have any issues with battery life or random reboots. My 17 year old son has used it now, for 7 months, and he can still go a full day texting etc. But I digress.
    All I would like to suggest is get the Z30 if you like the OS/UI. It's a fantastic phone with ( for me) double the battery life of the Z10. It's never randomly rebooted either.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by pmccartney; 07-28-14 at 08:36 AM.
    07-26-14 07:14 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is both stable and reliable. I don't have any "farts or hiccups" or reboots on my device. I used a Z10 for about eight months and now using a Q10. Zero problems. I suggest you ditch the POS S5 and try a Z30.
    divakar, 1magine, deptech and 3 others like this.
    07-26-14 07:16 PM
    My device has never rebooted itself since I got it. (8 months)

Not a single call drop with 2 different carriers. (8 months)

Posted via CB10
    1magine likes this.
    07-26-14 07:20 PM
    Comparing Z10 with S5? Compare Z30 with S5 and then start he new thread titled "awesome Z30"

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:21 PM
    I had a z10 for about 10 month. Never a problem however the battery life was horrible. I got a Z30 and have never been happier. My wife has my z10 and gets along fine since she had a iPhone and was used to charging all the time

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    bungaboy and vvvhhh8 like this.
    07-26-14 07:26 PM
    I agree to the previous 2 comments. I've had my first BlackBerry (Z30) for the past 4 months. No random reboots or dropped calls. I came from android and iPhone. The bb10 us absolutely brilliant.

Despite Z30 having inferior spec in every category (processor speed, camera, ram etc) bb10 is what makes my z30 a dream.

Posted via CB10
    Eldon Wilk likes this.
    07-26-14 07:27 PM
    You should definitely give the Z30 a try. Many of the "lessons-learned" from the Z10 were incorporated into it and it shows.

I agree with you that although Android devices provide a much greater number of features, gizmos, and specs,.. the design philosophy (if you want to call it that) is to simply pile them on in hopes of pleasing everyone a little bit in a very broad user base, but they don't seem to consider (or aren't very good at doing so) a central design theme that integrates all the features to make them relevant as part of the device's daily use. So you get a bunch of novelty features (good for marketing), but mediocre to weak core workflow (boring to Market--BlackBerry's problem).

The good news is that unlike BlackBerry devices, you could resell your S5 and still have cash leftover after you get your Z30!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:28 PM
    In the 18 months I've been on BB10, this is my second device (my first was RMA after about 2 months) .
    I experienced random reboots for the first few months until 10.1MR was released. Things were smooth for a few months, but for the last 3-4 months, ive been getting random reboots and now it's dropping calls.

I really love the feel of the BB10 interface. I have 4 emails on my Z10 and have zero issue navigating between them using the HUB. The calendar is also slick on BB10 and I always know what my day looks like.

But I'm just sooooooo frustrated with the unreliability of the OS.

The final straw was that on Thursday, I was on a conference call with 2 potential clients. My phone dropped the call 3 times in a row. Then, when I was trying to send an email to one of the potential clients later that day, my phone rebooted 5 times in a row. My phone was unusable for nearly 30 minutes. Completely unacceptable!!!!

As frustrated as I am with BB, I can already see that Android is a huge POS. I am floored that they gave the market share that they have. But I'm also not surprised how BlackBerry market share continues to erode given my experience.

I'm at a crossroads. Either take one last chance on BlackBerry with a Z30 or cut my losses and get used to Android.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:30 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what z10 model did you have?

I haven't had a z30 before because I am extremely happy with my stl100-3 but I hear the z30 is amazing. I don't personally want it because I like my screen size with the z10.
    07-26-14 07:39 PM
    I'm in IT myself, and I am a network engineer. I have multiple Cisco certs, Nortel, Avaya and even Mitel.
    So I am familiar with the relationship between Hardware bugs vs. OS bugs.

The bugs I'm experiencing SEEM to be OS related from my troubleshooting (batteries, chargers, network signal strength, new SIM ). I've done lots of testing and can not see any issues other than OS memory leaks or random code generating errors.
    Especially given that I have browsed several threads and it seems that I am most certainly not alone on my experience and frustration.

I also want a phone that has guaranteed future support. The Z10 is EOS after only 1.5 years. Typical life cycle is usually at least 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    lovedaazn likes this.
    07-26-14 07:46 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what z10 model did you have?
    STL100-3 and I am running 10.2.1.2977 on Bell.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Weird....I have the stl100-3 and I have absolutely no problems with it. However I've only had it for a couple months. I had a q10 for over a year and I loved it.
    07-26-14 07:49 PM
    Weird....I have the stl100-3 and I have absolutely no problems with it. However I've only had it for a couple months. I had a q10 for over a year and I loved it.
    I don't know how to make heads or tales of the issues I've experienced. It's like a ghost.

My next door neighbor has the STL100-3 running the same version of OS on Rogers and he has the same issue. Random reboots and increasing calls dropped.
    We both think it's weird that issues always seem to be either fixed or amplified with new OS releases (10.1 fixed reboots and 10.2.1 seems to bring them back)

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:53 PM
    Z10 here for 1 year and I've gotten less than 5 random reboot in all. To be honest the only problem I have with my Z10 is the battery life. There's no two ways about it, it's quite poor. I wouldn't however ever this keyboard, the hub, and the flow for any Os that's currently available. I'm in the fence about getting a Z30 but I'm really hoping for an upgraded version of a touchscreen model.

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    07-26-14 07:58 PM
    OP, your Z10 was a lemon. That is not a normal experience with the phone.
    eldrover likes this.
    07-26-14 07:59 PM
    Ohhh, the other issue I want to point out that is CRITICAL for me as an independent IT consultant, is the lack of app dev from major OEMs like Cisco, Avaya and Broadsoft.
    My clients want to demo many softphone features and functionality along with mobile apps and there are virtually no business grade apps for voice and collaboration. The ONLY app available is WebEx.
    This is a major problem for me for future app support that I don't see being rectified anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 07:59 PM
    I'm in IT myself, and I am a network engineer. I have multiple Cisco certs, Nortel, Avaya and even Mitel.

The bugs I'm experiencing SEEM to be OS related from my troubleshooting (batteries, chargers, network signal strength, new SIM ). I've done lots of testing and can not see any issues other than OS memory leaks or random code generating errors.
    Especially given that I have browsed several threads and it seems that I am most certainly not alone on my experience and frustration.

I also want a phone that has guaranteed future support. The Z10 is EOS after only 1.5 years. Typical life cycle is usually at least 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know how to make heads or tales of the issues I've experienced. It's like a ghost.

My next door neighbor has the STL100-3 running the same version of OS on Rogers and he has the same issue. Random reboots and increasing calls dropped.
    We both think it's weird that issues always seem to be either fixed or amplified with new OS releases (10.1 fixed reboots and 10.2.1 seems to bring them back)

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm I have my stl100-3 on Bell as well. I've only experienced a couple random reboots in the last couple months. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard someone on crackberry having issues with the stl100-3.
    07-26-14 08:00 PM
    OP, your Z10 was a lemon. That is not a normal experience with the phone.
    I'm just playing devils advocate here but... there seems to have been A LOT of lemons out there given the threads I've read.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just speaking from experience

Posted via CB10
    nyfinch and spacemanZ10 like this.
    07-26-14 08:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Too bad you are having issues.

I have been running 8 of the same Z10s, in my family, with Bell. 5 of them since Day 1. Never had a dropped call or reboot on any of them.

I am still using the very first one I bought the first day they were available as one of my two daily drivers. The other is a Z30.

I have upgraded most of the other Z10s to Z30s and they are an exceptional phone.

I have SGIII, HTC One and iPhone as well. They never get/got used. Never did like OS.

Good luck.
    07-26-14 08:01 PM
    Great example of " if it is happening to me... it is happening to everyone"...... I know the original Z10 had issues... sent my back due to the issues OP reported except never had dropped calls...... Blackberry simply sent me a new one in warranty..... it was either an issue with my device or maybe even the production run.... many do not appreciate how complicated OS are..... many times it can be what apps you have installed.....
    07-26-14 08:05 PM
    Great example of " if it is happening to me... it is happening to everyone"...... I know the original Z10 had issues... sent my back due to the issues OP reported except never had dropped calls...... Blackberry simply sent me a new one in warranty..... it was either an issue with my device or maybe even the production run.... many do not appreciate how complicated OS are..... many times it can be what apps you have installed.....
    So how was your replacement z10?
    07-26-14 08:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    EoS after 1.5 years? How did we updates past June?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 08:16 PM
    App integration is a HUGE part of a mobile OS!!!! If apps that are being loaded from BBW are causing issues for the OS, than that is a whole new issue!!! I have zero sideoaded apps and everything on my phone is loaded from BBW.
    And is is NOT an example of 'if it's happening to me it's happening to everyone". If you took the time to read the thread in its entirety, you would see that my neighbor has the exact same issues. I have also read and participated in multiple forums whereby other users experience similar issues.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 08:21 PM
    EoS after 1.5 years? How did we updates past June?

Posted via CB10
    End of Sale. Not End of Support. My bad for not clarifying. But End of Sale also means end of support for certain areas of a device that is no longer being manufacturered

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-26-14 08:26 PM
161 123 ...