Hi guys,

Dear John Chen,
    (who must have very busy days fixing all the bad decisions that were made for the pas 5 years).

My wife just got a new 2014 Mini Cooper. Mini is using BMW's car interface which is based on QNX.

Now, this is a BRAND NEW car. I was expecting to connect my Z10 in the USB port and get the Music going and everything and...

Drum roll....... Your device is not supported!

WTF!?!?!? Blackberry bought QNX in what? 2010??!!! 4 YEARS AGO and they can't support their OWN DEVICES!?!?!?

Although The Ultimate Humiliation came when I decided to plug in an iPhone 5s... and it works like a charm... you get the playlists and everything.

Blackberry has a LONG way to go and quite frankly I'm getting annoyed with all of those little things not being fixed by now. I got a z10 more than a year ago and I could have forego the Priority Hub or even the latest Android Runtime for:

- A Blackberry Link that actually works
    - A better music app
    - A real playbook integration (like the legacy devices)
    - More VPN support. I know... PPTP is not secure blah blah blah... but my linksys isn't compatible with the stupid ipsec profiles in the BB10 and I can't event get OpenVPN on my z10!
    - Better sharing of videos (you take a video longer than 7 seconds and you can't do anything with it! it's too big for email, BBM etc..)
    - An IMAP integration that actually marks your messages as READ right away instead of waiting for the next full sync...

Ok, I'm done!

Thanks for listening!
    You do realize to play music from the phone to your Mini Cooper you plug the phone's HEADPHONE port into the little hole that is the same size and NOT the usb port...
    Use a patch cord that looks just like the one you would use to connect sound on a computer to a monitor with speakers.
    (I have a Mini Cooper too and play music all the time)...Check out my BlackBerry Channel "Mini Cooper Gearheads" (please)
    P.S. The iPhone uses the usb for power not sound on the Mini. The hookup is different. The sound is transferred through the little round plug.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-06-14 05:12 AM
    My 2014 bmw 428 plays music perfectly same did my alfa romeo mito 2010

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 06:52 AM
    Tinochiko, use headphone jack and aux input, not usb...

06-06-14 02:30 PM
    Tinochiko, use headphone jack and aux input, not usb...

So there's no way to get usb to work? Just lost all my music and apparently link didn't feel like backing up my sd card yesterday, all from activating usb mode

Check Out TechCraze
    06-06-14 02:39 PM
    So there's no way to get usb to work? Just lost all my music and apparently link didn't feel like backing up my sd card yesterday, all from activating usb mode

Check Out TechCraze
    What are you trying to do? Backup or listen to music? This thread is about listening to music in a car. I'll be glad to help you but you have lost me somewhere.

06-06-14 03:48 PM
    What are you trying to do? Backup or listen to music? This thread is about listening to music in a car. I'll be glad to help you but you have lost me somewhere.

Listen to music via USB, I was just saying that when I tried the method above and turned usb mass storage on, all the data on my sd card disappeared, had to reformat it to get up recognised

Check Out TechCraze
    06-06-14 05:56 PM
    Ouch! Perhaps the real solution is to not equate in-dash QNX with all sorts of BB10 compatibility assumptions. I you think about it, there's no reason why a BB10 smartphone OS would communicate any better with a QNX dash system than any other mobile OS.

It's no like they are going to share all of their dirty little secrets because they came from the same hometown. There is no inherent smartphone integration advantage to having BB10 hooked up to a QNX infotainment system.
    06-06-14 06:28 PM
    Listen to music via USB, I was just saying that when I tried the method above and turned usb mass storage on, all the data on my sd card disappeared, had to reformat it to get up recognised

Check Out TechCraze
    Just so you know for next time, the music didn't disappear, all you had to do was turn OFF the mass storage mode. It would have shown then and played. You didn't have to reformat.

06-06-14 08:31 PM
    Ouch! Perhaps the real solution is to not equate in-dash QNX with all sorts of BB10 compatibility assumptions. I you think about it, there's no reason why a BB10 smartphone OS would communicate any better with a QNX dash system than any other mobile OS.

It's no like they are going to share all of their dirty little secrets because they came from the same hometown. There is no inherent smartphone integration advantage to having BB10 hooked up to a QNX infotainment system.
    The systems are compatible. Period.

bungaboy likes this.
    06-06-14 08:33 PM
    My rant against BB10 vs new car!-img_20140606_183826_hdr.jpg
    See if your Mini Cooper has an "Aux in" port like the one in my Mini Cooper. Use a cord with a plug like this on both ends to play music..

Attachment 276652
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-06-14 08:42 PM
    Just so you know for next time, the music didn't disappear, all you had to do was turn OFF the mass storage mode. It would have shown then and played. You didn't have to reformat.

Just so you know, I switched on mass storage... sync now recognised the but said that no.media could be found, I then switched mass storage back off, and my sd card was no longer being recognised...

Connected it to the laptop to see if I could do anything about it, and it was showing the SD card as empty so I reformatted on the phone.

But thanks. For that.

Check Out TechCraze
    06-07-14 02:36 AM
    See if your Mini Cooper has an "Aux in" port like the one in my Mini Cooper. Use a cord with a plug like this on both ends to play music..

Attachment 276652
    Personally I'm aware of that option for most cars but 1) the aux cables that I have are long
    2) I would only be using it for that purpose whereas with usb I would be using it to charge (however minimally)

Notheless I just wanted to know if there was a way to get usb Z10 connect with sync.. if there is none that's fine..

But for non BlackBerry users that's yet another annoyance they would have to deal with if previously they just connected their phone via USB..

Check Out TechCraze
    06-07-14 02:41 AM
    I get that this is an older thread but after buying a Passport to use with my brand new 2015 JCW Edition Mini Cooper, I searched the forums for the same issues that you are/were having when you got yours. What people don't realized is what the Mini Connected/Harmon Kardon system in the Mini Cooper can actually do with a phone that truly integrates with it, such as the iPhone, of which I was going to replace with the Passport. However, huge disappointment when using with my Mini Cooper.

When you use the USB port with an iPhone and the Mini Connected system you can:

Charge and play music at the same time. Access and control with the navigation knob streaming music apps Like Spotify, Deezer, Rhapsody, and of course iTunes natively. We aren't just talking playlists that you have saved locally, but with the USB I can search and control music and playlists that are on Spotify and the others. On top of that, with some you can actually draw the letters of the song you are looking for on the top of the car's control knob and have it search the streaming services music library for songs that are not downloaded on your device. All of the metadata and album art show on the Connected display.

With the new Apple Music, I can long press the voice button on the wheel and ask Siri to play any sony in the iTunes catalogue and it plays without touching anything else. Again, ANY sony I can think of and it doesn't have to be stored on the iPhone.

Now I understand that the Passport's main focus isn't media, but does it have to completely suck at it? Some of you guys keep touting that "wires are so 2000"... Well guess what, so is being forced to load all of your music on your phones memory. The PP doesn't charge wirelessly either, so unless you want to drain that battery down while on a road trip, you're going to have to wire it in. You know what else is so 2000? Plugging your device into the AUX jack. You get ZERO controls from the car over anything. No skips, No track search. No info on your heads display. No charging.

Also, I wouldn't mind using the PP with bluetooth if THAT worked properly. Every single time I connect my BT with the PP, the BB Music Player launches. I close it, it relaunches, close, relaunches and interrupts the streaming app in the process. This has been an issue for YEARS and there is no way that I found in these forums or others to fix that. Then IF you manage to load any relevant music streaming service, I get no info send to the head via BT. Sometimes I get the track title and artist, but usually not and when I do, it usually doesn't change with the new track. I get no album artwork.

I love the hardware. I love the form factor the most. It's just a shame that something that is supposed to be on the best OS out there that they can't make it a decent media device as well. Why not? Is there some sort of rule that a device has to be for business OR pleasure? Why do we need all of these KILLER hardware specs if all it's going to do is be a power text/emailer? Those types of apps don't NEED 3 gigs of ram and the fastest CPU. QNX is wasted in BB's hands. The specs for the PP should allow it to compete media wise with iPhone and Android. Why bother if you're going to limit it to email, texts, blah blah..

I am a part owner in a small business and I appreciate getting work done but just because I'm 50 and a business person, do I not like to listen to music? Am I not entitled to have fun on my business device as well?

I know many here will just say, hey, you aren't BB's target audience but that's a cop out. Samsung and Apple are working hard to combine the business and pleasure markets into one device and both have done a fairly decent job. Why can't BB? If the target audience is less than 1% of the mobile market then they are as big of success as they can be with a handful of customers.

Now, after all this hoopla that I've heard about their "target market", it looks like they are going the way of Android anyway. Why? Seriously, is QNX so weak that they can't build exciting and well integrated native apps for it? Sadly, this will be going back. If the streaming music services worked even half *** over the BT I'd probably keep it. Once the public gets wind of BB going Android, we can forget any further BB10 enhancements.

This thing is supposed to be a computer in your hand, but my PC can do a lot more than just business apps. It's too bad that BB couldn't do more with QNX.
    Last edited by cyberbob; 08-15-15 at 11:13 PM.
    08-15-15 11:02 PM
    I get that this is an older thread but after buying a Passport to use with my brand new 2015 JCW Edition Mini Cooper, I searched the forums for the same issues that you are/were having when you got yours. What people don't realized is what the Mini Connected/Harmon Kardon system in the Mini Cooper can actually do with a phone that truly integrates with it, such as the iPhone, of which I was going to replace with the Passport. However, huge disappointment when using with my Mini Cooper.
    FYI, Harman International has source code access rights to the QNX OS for the next 17 years (+/-). They retained such rights when they sold QNX to BlackBerry. As such, QNX and BlackBerry are probably pretty limited in their influence over what systems Harman decides to integrate with or which phone OSes they want to support. Harman is free to do whatever they want with QNX.

If you want to rant, you should direct your efforts to Harman.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 02:56 AM
    IOS Initial release :
    June 29, 2007 (8 years ago)

Android Initial release :
    September 23, 2008 (6 years ago)

BlackBerry Tablet OS Initial release :
    April 19, 2011 (4 years ago)

BlackBerry 10 Initial release :
    January 30, 2013 (2 years ago)

Be patient... I'm sure the features will be there
    08-16-15 04:51 AM
    No. It's not Harmon's responsibility to make BB relevant. That's BB's job. With less than 1% marketshare, why would they bother? Every time I've read a complaint similar to mine on these forums, I hear the same thing from the die hards here. It's the other guys fault for the incompatibility. No. It's BB's fault for not caring enough about what the public wants to make itself revenant enough to be on the list.

So that fact that the BBOS is not compatible with the integrated system, is it Harmon's fault that the Blackberry Music Player won't stop launching and screwing up at least the BT usage? Or the fact that it won't send the metadata to head in any apps outside of it's own music player? You can keep defending and excusing BB all the way to the point where it becomes another android variant.
    08-16-15 09:54 AM
    Sure, when they become another arm of Android. How many years do you think it takes to incorporate a decent media application? iOS released in 2007 with one. Android did too, and only a short time after, dozens of third party devs added more.

BB 10 isn't going anywhere but down. BB is not gaining marketshare with this OS. It continues to loose it. And now they are dancing with the Android devil because they have no vision on how to gain marketshare except to sell out.
    08-16-15 10:01 AM
    No. It's not Harmon's responsibility to make BB relevant. That's BB's job. With less than 1% marketshare, why would they bother? Every time I've read a complaint similar to mine on these forums, I hear the same thing from the die hards here. It's the other guys fault for the incompatibility. No. It's BB's fault for not caring enough about what the public wants to make itself relevant enough to be on the list.
    BlackBerry can't force anyone to use their API's or other integration methods. The issue lies entirely with the manufacturer of the infotainment system: that's just the plain and ugly truth of the matter. All any automaker wants in an infotainment system is something that can be implemented easily in multiple models over multiple model years. They also want as little of an impact on the price of the vehicle as possible, even if they're selling it as an upgrade package since it cuts into their margins. The end result is we're left with a lot of poorly implemented systems with badly designed front end software.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 05:29 AM
    I share some of your complaints here. However, when it comes to the native music player opening and playing on your Passport when you connect it via Bluetooth, all you need to do is pause the music player and open up whatever music app (streaming or otherwise) and it will work. For what it's worth, iTunes automatically opens on my GF's iPhone 5s when she connects it to bluetooth and she has to close it and reset her streaming app. It is a momentary annoyance. As I recently replaced my 10 year old Honda (that still had a cassette player!) with a new car that supports bluetooth and has a real entertainments system, I'm a pretty happy camper.
    08-17-15 07:41 AM
69 123