My Z10 and Z30 and my wifes Q10 all work with our 2013 Subaru's via BLUETOOTH. Does your MINI not have that? Wires are so 2000.
    ^THIS! There is a reason why the iPhone is still tied down with a cable connection. Because they suck at handling Bluetooth tethering methods like A2DP for streaming audio.

If you have a brand new car, I would hope it can at least stream audio through a Bluetooth connection.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 08:29 PM
    I have a situation where I'm getting a new gmc Sierra pickup

The blue tooth music works great, it just finds it all on the device and allows to play and search.

The hands free phone works great, crystal clear and easy

...but

I'm disappointed that there is no hands free text/email

It doesn't even read new text messages.

I hope that the gmc 'Intellilink' eventually is able to release new software update to allow for hands free text and email

Afterall, the hardware speaks and listens, so in my opinion it is more of a software issue then hardware.

I hope my above assumption is correct because I plan on having this truck for a long time

By the way, I sport a white z30 to match my diamond white Sierra!

Posted via CB10
    Just use an app!

Check out SafeDrive in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/31252891

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 08:33 PM
    To read texts and emails, plus sending them, have you tried to just call the Blackberry VoiceControl on the phone by BT? I believe the number is 999-555-1234. That calls the Voice Control. You can then tell VC to read the last text or email or send either of the two to any contact you have. I'm going to play with it more now to see what else it can activate or do.

My 2012 BMW 3 series can also integrate via My Car (either in the car or the phone, idk which) and will download all my email and texts and display them, as well as read any email or text I have in the phone. It sends too. I had no idea either of these were present. In this car, you select "Office" on the iControl thingy. See if your Mini has this feature. I think Adam posted on VC/BT in the past.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-30-14 09:42 PM
    Thought I would add to thread.

I just picked up my 2014 mini cooper. I have the z30 and before even leaving the dealership this is what happened.

Turned on BT.

Car found phone... connected.

Instantly I now have the following in my car!!!

Plays all my music
    Shows me how many email and txt I have
    Will read them to me
    I can reply to them via voice
    I can write and send email etc.. from the car not phone.

And I have not even explored what else it does as I picked it up last night.

M
    bungaboy and DarkJoker33 like this.
    05-01-14 09:15 AM
    I see a lot of replies to this thread. Thanks for all your information.

I didn't get a chance to try the mass storage thing yet but I will reply as soon as I tried it.

A lot of people came up with different solutions that will work to some extent.

I think my biggest disappointment came from the fact that it's not Plug & Play kind of idea: I charge the phone and let you control your music at the same time. I was expecting more.

Now this is Crackberry. The holy grail of Blackberry users (and abusers). The problem is not that there's no workaround, the problem is the workaround. If you're at war against other phone platforms and you're saying to your customers that it gets complicated... you're looking at chasing them away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sold to Blackberry and used an iphone for a short period of time while waiting for BB10 to come out but I feel that we're being let down in a lot of ways. As I said, I'd rather have a BB Link that works with itunes correctly and VPN that connects to something else than a Cisco PIX, than getting a Priority Hub and BBM stickers...

BlackBerry wants to be a Business Platform. That's all good. Business people happen to travel... make their life easier, get the phone integration right!

Ok, I'm done with my rant now Hopefully the future will be brighter for all BB users
    05-01-14 10:21 AM
    I see a lot of replies to this thread. Thanks for all your information.

I didn't get a chance to try the mass storage thing yet but I will reply as soon as I tried it.
    Any updates?
    05-02-14 09:22 AM
    Hi guys,

Dear John Chen,
    (who must have very busy days fixing all the bad decisions that were made for the pas 5 years).

My wife just got a new 2014 Mini Cooper. Mini is using BMW's car interface which is based on QNX.

Now, this is a BRAND NEW car. I was expecting to connect my Z10 in the USB port and get the Music going and everything and...

Drum roll....... Your device is not supported!

WTF!?!?!? Blackberry bought QNX in what? 2010??!!! 4 YEARS AGO and they can't support their OWN DEVICES!?!?!?

Although The Ultimate Humiliation came when I decided to plug in an iPhone 5s... and it works like a charm... you get the playlists and everything.

Blackberry has a LONG way to go and quite frankly I'm getting annoyed with all of those little things not being fixed by now. I got a z10 more than a year ago and I could have forego the Priority Hub or even the latest Android Runtime for:

- A Blackberry Link that actually works
    - A better music app
    - A real playbook integration (like the legacy devices)
    - More VPN support. I know... PPTP is not secure blah blah blah... but my linksys isn't compatible with the stupid ipsec profiles in the BB10 and I can't event get OpenVPN on my z10!
    - Better sharing of videos (you take a video longer than 7 seconds and you can't do anything with it! it's too big for email, BBM etc..)
    - An IMAP integration that actually marks your messages as READ right away instead of waiting for the next full sync...

Ok, I'm done!

Thanks for listening!
    Have you tried using via Bluetooth? My 2014 MDX automatically pulls up the music app and will play the music and allows you to have access to the files and play list once connect to blue tooth, best of all its a wireless.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 09:30 AM
    Lets just accept the fact that BlackBerry 10 is still a fail platform. I'm tired of waiting. They're too slow. I don't know who needs to be blamed within BlackBerry company here. I don't think its Chen. There is just someone that is too lousy.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 09:34 AM
    Lets just accept the fact that BlackBerry 10 is still a fail platform. I'm tired of waiting. They're too slow. I don't know who needs to be blamed within BlackBerry company here. I don't think its Chen. There is just someone that is too lousy.

Posted via CB10
    Where do you think BlackBerry has failed with regards to being "integratable" to the car manufacturers?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 10:06 AM
    Where do you think BlackBerry has failed with regards to being "integratable" to the car manufacturers?

Posted via CB10
    Because they're kinda slow and People are already fed up. In order to compete with other platforms, BlackBerry needs to have all the functions/features working, and better hardwares RIGHT NOW!!!! I just figured out that looking at the age of the BlackBerry 10 platform is an excuse. At this time is different... It is now mainly BlackBerry 10 & QNX vs Time.

I'm no longer happy seeing people ranting. Because what I see is, a customer rants today, and on the next day another user rants and complains of another problem.

BlackBerry needs to do something about this. But looks like they're not trying to catch up. Why BlackBerry and QNX department aren't working as one on same schedule and same deadline? What seems to be the problem?

Small failure = huge failure at BlackBerry's situation right now.

The best key to be successful is make every customer happy. That what builds a good reputation of a company. Being famous is not needed as long as they keep every customer/user happy on what they get.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 11:29 AM
    Cool. Thanks for the tip, so if I use an app, it will go through the truck audio and stuff, or are you saying to use an app and have the phone with a headset or something?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 08:13 PM
    ^THIS! There is a reason why the iPhone is still tied down with a cable connection. Because they suck at handling Bluetooth tethering methods like A2DP for streaming audio.

If you have a brand new car, I would hope it can at least stream audio through a Bluetooth connection.

Posted via CB10
    A2DP works fine on the iPhone, and having a USB connection is nice because you don't have to deal with pairing. It also charges your phone while you're using it. There are a lot of valid points the poster makes and "Crackberry" fans always have some excuse as to WHY something that works with everything else doesn't work with Blackberry. Or the fall back of "well maybe you should use a different device" instead of just admitting that maybe Blackberry is way behind the times interns of "basic" features. Especially his point about IMAP email sync which I still CANNOT believe, and Yes I have the same complaints as him. I actually keep a classic 60GB iPod that I upgraded to a 120GB iPod and use it for music.

I rented a Mazda 3 this weekend and I didn't have to deal with any kind of pairing issues like whipping out the manual to figure out how EVERY car has a different menu system. The Mazda 3 I rented I don't even think had bluetooth because it was an economy care but it did have USB and 3.5mm audio in, plugged in the iPhone 5c and it worked like a charm.

The other problem with bluetooth is that most bluetooth devices can only be paired with 1 device at a time, which sucks if there are multiple drivers.

As for the NFC guy, what car do you know of has NFC that will pair with a Blackberry device? And have you noticed that NFC payments isn't exactly taking off hence why Google Wallet now offers a plastic debit cash card? This is Google who licensed a Seinfeld clip the one with George's massive wallet exploding to promote NFC + Google Wallet and Android phones has flopped miserably.
    05-04-14 09:50 PM
    Let us know.......I'm curious actually

but if it works....then make sure to go over to iMore and complain the iPhone doesn't have an SD card, NFC, a Communications hub, better functioning keyboard, true multi-tasking, a file manager and that iTunes is worse now then it used to be ....... its only fair right?

Maybe next time, you can simply start a thread asking for help with your issue ........ Just saying
    iTunes still blows Blackberry Link out of the water (is continually updated unlike Link which hasn't seen an updates since December of 2013), I'm still trying to find a way to use this "cool" NFC feature in my Q10 considering Google Wallet isn't supported on my device I can't think of any thing else that I'd want to use it for.

Listen while Blackberry is selling it's real-estate holdings in Waterloo and anywhere else it can to scrounge together money to stay a float. Apple is building UFO shaped headquarters, I think Apple is doing just fine. Also lets not forget that legacy Blackberry devices are still OUTSELLING Blackberry 10 devices.
    BB_Junky likes this.
    05-04-14 10:00 PM
    My Z10 and Z30 and my wifes Q10 all work with our 2013 Subaru's via BLUETOOTH. Does your MINI not have that? Wires are so 2000.
    Bluetooth streaming wastes your battery plus the sound is not as good.

A wired connection has better sound quality but also will charge your phone at the same time.

Sorry for pointing out the obvious.

#believeinfilm
    wolfee48 and riss89 like this.
    05-05-14 06:27 AM

A wired connection has better sound quality but also will charge your phone at the same time.

#believeinfilm
    What are you talking about? It sounds perfect! And wastes almost no battery ..... seriously, where do you people get this stuff? You will have no audio quality issues with Bluetooth.....Bluetooth is not FM modulation or something!

If you want to keep score with pro's and con's, a wired connection can be pain, especially in some cars where the stupid USB port is in a tuff to access place (many are stuffed inside a center console in a tight cubby underneath an arm rest). Pulling out a cord to listen to music is so early 2000. Not to mention, the power coming out of the USB in on many cars barely charges most devices.....You need power while listening, then power plug it in!
    bungaboy and kthhrrsn like this.
    05-05-14 09:25 AM

Well, one could plug the phone into the cigarette lighter to charge while streaming music over Bluetooth ...
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-05-14 09:31 AM
    Well, one could plug the phone into the cigarette lighter to charge while streaming music over Bluetooth ...
    One would then miss the irony

#believeinfilm
    05-05-14 09:45 AM
    What are you talking about? It sounds perfect! And wastes almost no battery ..... seriously, where do you people get this stuff? You will have no audio quality issues with Bluetooth.....Bluetooth is not FM modulation or something!

If you want to keep score with pro's and con's, a wired connection can be pain, especially in some cars where the stupid USB port is in a tuff to access place (many are stuffed inside a center console in a tight cubby underneath an arm rest). Pulling out a cord to listen to music is so early 2000. Not to mention, the power coming out of the USB in on many cars barely charges most devices.....You need power while listening, then power plug it in!
    Cord still wins, next time you rent a car with bluetooth time yourself and see how long it takes for you to figure out the pairing. Let us know if you have to dig up the manual. If your phone is supported it takes no time to plug it in and press the aux/usb button.

Posted via my Q10
    05-05-14 10:14 AM
    I'll tell you where they get this stuff. They do a little research - try Google. Perhaps your hearing is shot like the rest of the earbud generation.
    05-05-14 10:38 AM
    Cord still wins, next time you rent a car with bluetooth time yourself and see how long it takes for you to figure out the pairing. Let us know if you have to dig up the manual. If your phone is supported it takes no time to plug it in and press the aux/usb button.

Posted via my Q10
    I rent cars all the time actually (I will lobby to guess, much more than you ), I have a Bluetooth ear peice I use....for calls. I never settle in enough to stream music. I certianly have little time to bother fishing for a USB cable OR connecting my phone to a car I will spend all of about an hour or two in.

I'll tell you where they get this stuff. They do a little research - try Google. Perhaps your hearing is shot like the rest of the earbud generation.
    Well, perhaps you need to take your own advice and hit up google for what the real limitations for Bluetooth audio are...as well as your Superhero ears. The latest versions of it have excellent bit rate capabilities and the limiting sound quality factor...especially in many cars is the speakers and stereo itself, not the bitrate transfer of the bluetooth. I will tell you my "non earbud generation" ears are perfectly fine, and there is absolutely no disearnable difference between music streaming over Bluetooth vs corded...especially in a car. Its like the PPI arguement, the human ears have limitations, and unless you are an android of some sort, you can't tell the difference. I will go one further and say Bluetooth connection to systems like Bose or Sony home audio systems is absolutely excellent as well, where the only real way to tell a difference would likey be with audio instrumentation. If you have to resort to splitting hairs like this for this arguement, you have issues.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-05-14 10:53 AM
    STOP! You can play music from your z10 using a usb cord! Just on the USB mass storage if your music is in the sd card! Well if its in the device memory it might work without turning the usb storage on. This is the case with iphone, it has no sd card where when you plug it in the car, the car automatically search the device memory for music, unlike bb10 where the sd cannot be accessed automatically for some security reasons or something. Just turn the usb mass storage on and your done. Now you can charge your device while playing "Good Quality" music okay? Fighting over nonsense things.

Posted via My Awesome Z10
    05-05-14 11:21 AM
    Why not use your headphone socket and connect a cord through aux mode?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 02:55 AM
    It's called post-merger integration! (or lack of such )

It's one reason many M&A deals fail and never manage to realize the notorious synergies

Hopefully this is not the case with BlackBerry although we know the company has for years moved in the right direction but with a pace of 2 steps forward, followed by 1 step backwards...

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:03 AM
    STOP! You can play music from your z10 using a usb cord! Just on the USB mass storage if your music is in the sd card! Well if its in the device memory it might work without turning the usb storage on. This is the case with iphone, it has no sd card where when you plug it in the car, the car automatically search the device memory for music, unlike bb10 where the sd cannot be accessed automatically for some security reasons or something. Just turn the usb mass storage on and your done. Now you can charge your device while playing "Good Quality" music okay? Fighting over nonsense things.

This!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:15 AM

When I do this the car will now recognise the phone but it will say no media found, and on the phone I can't access my music which is on the sd card? ?.

Check Out TechCraze
    06-06-14 04:21 AM
69 123