Hi guys,

Dear John Chen,
    (who must have very busy days fixing all the bad decisions that were made for the pas 5 years).

My wife just got a new 2014 Mini Cooper. Mini is using BMW's car interface which is based on QNX.

Now, this is a BRAND NEW car. I was expecting to connect my Z10 in the USB port and get the Music going and everything and...

Drum roll....... Your device is not supported!

WTF!?!?!? Blackberry bought QNX in what? 2010??!!! 4 YEARS AGO and they can't support their OWN DEVICES!?!?!?

Although The Ultimate Humiliation came when I decided to plug in an iPhone 5s... and it works like a charm... you get the playlists and everything.

Blackberry has a LONG way to go and quite frankly I'm getting annoyed with all of those little things not being fixed by now. I got a z10 more than a year ago and I could have forego the Priority Hub or even the latest Android Runtime for:

- A Blackberry Link that actually works
    - A better music app
    - A real playbook integration (like the legacy devices)
    - More VPN support. I know... PPTP is not secure blah blah blah... but my linksys isn't compatible with the stupid ipsec profiles in the BB10 and I can't event get OpenVPN on my z10!
    - Better sharing of videos (you take a video longer than 7 seconds and you can't do anything with it! it's too big for email, BBM etc..)
    - An IMAP integration that actually marks your messages as READ right away instead of waiting for the next full sync...

Ok, I'm done!

Thanks for listening!
    04-30-14 02:00 PM
    You do realize all those QNX with BlackBerry displays we have seen are promotional proof of concept, not actual production cars.

BMW is controlling the Interface, and they are going to make sure that it works with the two big mobile platforms,,,,, number 5 or 6 (whatever BB10 is) is not a priority. QNX has no control over this.

As for the rest..... coming soon.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-30-14 02:10 PM
    John Chen needs to understand that putting a whole QNX car interface in BlackBerry phones will set a new standard in the smartphone industry...

Nonocrack and CDM76 like this.
    04-30-14 02:15 PM
    Are your MP3's on the Z10's SD card?
    Try Settings/Storage and Access/Scroll down and switch on "USB Mass Storage" and then see if the stereo can see the music.
    I had to do that on my old 9850 to get a BMW to see the music.
    Rowan M and CDM76 like this.
    You do realize all those QNX with BlackBerry displays we have seen are promotional proof of concept, not actual production cars.

BMW is controlling the Interface, and they are going to make sure that it works with the two big mobile platforms,,,,, number 5 or 6 (whatever BB10 is) is not a priority. QNX has no control over this.

As for the rest..... coming soon.
    Yes, I realize those promotional proof of concepts. I didn't say I was looking forward for a full QNX integration... I just wanted to see my playlists on the radio!

Ok, BMW is controlling the interface... So why not give auto makers incentives to get their cars compatible with BB10? I'm sure if iOS was in a car (I know Apple is not licensing its OS) it would run Apple stuff natively.
    Hi guys,

Dear John Chen,
    (who must have very busy days fixing all the bad decisions that were made for the pas 5 years).

My wife just got a new 2014 Mini Cooper. Mini is using BMW's car interface which is based on QNX.

Now, this is a BRAND NEW car. I was expecting to connect my Z10 in the USB port and get the Music going and everything and...

Drum roll....... Your device is not supported!

WTF!?!?!? Blackberry bought QNX in what? 2010??!!! 4 YEARS AGO and they can't support their OWN DEVICES!?!?!?

Ok, I'm done!

Thanks for listening!
    My Z10 and Z30 and my wifes Q10 all work with our 2013 Subaru's via BLUETOOTH. Does your MINI not have that? Wires are so 2000.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    04-30-14 02:18 PM
    Are you MP3's on the Z10's SD card?
    Try Settings/Storage and Access/Scroll down and switch on "USB Mass Storage" and then see if the stereo can see the music.
    I'll give it a shot and let people know.
    04-30-14 02:18 PM
    My Z10 and Z30 and my wifes Q10 all work with our 2013 Subaru's via BLUETOOTH. Does your MINI not have that?
    Yes, and I have a similar system on my Jeep but you still don't get the playlists or anything directly on the radio screen like what you get with the iphone. As I said, I'm just stunned that after 4 years of owning QNX the iphone integration is still far better off than the BB integration. I thought they would have convinced automakers to implement the BB OSs into their vehicule entertainment systems.
    04-30-14 02:23 PM
    I'll give it a shot and let people know.
    Let us know.......I'm curious actually

but if it works....then make sure to go over to iMore and complain the iPhone doesn't have an SD card, NFC, a Communications hub, better functioning keyboard, true multi-tasking, a file manager and that iTunes is worse now then it used to be ....... its only fair right?

Maybe next time, you can simply start a thread asking for help with your issue ........ Just saying
    04-30-14 02:27 PM
    Let us know.......I'm curious actually

but if it works....then make sure to go over to iMore and complain the iPhone doesn't have an SD card, NFC, a Communications hub, better functioning keyboard, true multi-tasking, a file manager and that iTunes is worse now then it used to be ....... its only fair right?

Maybe next time, you can simply start a thread asking for help with your issue ........ Just saying
    The only 2 reasons for me to keep using a BB10 phone are the amazing on screen keyboard and the HUB.

The iPhone doesn't even come close to BB10 on those points. I'm just very disappointed that there isn't better in car support for BB10 and sooner or later, someone will come up with a Hub for Android or Hub for iPhone.... BB needs to up its game and fast.
    04-30-14 02:41 PM
    Are your MP3's on the Z10's SD card?
    I do the same thing with our montero. My music is in the sd card and i need to switch on the usb mass storage first before the car connects with the phone. Switching the mass storage on will disable the file manager and BlackBerry link.

Maybe this is one of there added security. Haha.

Posted via My Awesome Z10
    04-30-14 03:18 PM
    AUX, bluetooth music and make sure you have mass storage on. Three different ways to connect.
    04-30-14 03:21 PM
    Play through Bluetooth no need for cable!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 03:25 PM
    I see the OP's point.. This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not being able to simply hook up a BBRY via USB to a QNX enabled car seems similar to connecting an iPhone to a laptop running iTunes and being told it's not compatible lol. i can understand the frustration and disappointment

sent from my BlackBerry 9350! :-]
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-30-14 03:39 PM
    The only 2 reasons for me to keep using a BB10 phone are the amazing on screen keyboard and the HUB.

The iPhone doesn't even come close to BB10 on those points. I'm just very disappointed that there isn't better in car support for BB10 and sooner or later, someone will come up with a Hub for Android or Hub for iPhone.... BB needs to up its game and fast.
    understand your frustration, but I also see this as a double standard. Why is it OK for the other platforms to "eventually" come to the plate with missing features, yet BB10 cannot? Did you switch the Mass storage option on? Other option is to move the Music to the device memory BTW, it could be a simple case that BB can support what you want, it's just a question that needs to be asked. I would also argue its an easier "teak" for BB to improve in car connectivity, vs the other platforms to have a better keyboard and especially a Hub! Those are huge changes. Not to mention hardware ommisions like SD card and NFC.Lets call a spade a spade shall we?

My only point(s) is/are, you come on here to rant (that's fine we are all entitled), but there shouldn't be a double standard, and if it turns out a simple toggle on the memory card option (or having music on teh device side) solves your issues, will you go over to the other site and rant about missing features there?
    Pdinos3 and bungaboy like this.
    04-30-14 03:55 PM
    I see the OP's point.. This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not being able to simply hook up a BBRY via USB to a QNX enabled car seems similar to connecting an iPhone to a laptop running iTunes and being told it's not compatible lol. i can understand the frustration and disappointment

When Ford released SYNC by Microsoft, you could plug a Zune HD into the USB port and have no control over it. I used to be pro Zune user for a while and that alone turned me off buying a Ford. Was a long time ago though.
    04-30-14 04:09 PM
    When Ford released SYNC by Microsoft, you could plug a Zune HD into the USB port and have no control over it. I used to be pro Zune user for a while and that alone turned me off buying a Ford. Was a long time ago though.
    makes a lot of sense. It's not unreasonable to want compatibility among your devices, you know.

04-30-14 04:18 PM
    That's funny. My wife's I phone will only play music in our new car. My BlackBerry does hands free text/e mail/music/pandora with no issues. Her I phone is not supported for text or email

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 04:25 PM
    Oh and it's a ford

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 04:26 PM
    Nice car OP. I'm jealous
    04-30-14 05:17 PM
    Play through Bluetooth no need for cable!

Posted via CB10
    This

...Have you not see those Direct TV adds about no wires...No longer needed these days. I have yet to see a car regardless of mfg support a BB through USB. Maybe there is one, but through Bluetooth that is another story and your experience there can be much better on BB than IOS. We had a CFO that had 3 different people pair their phone to his Lexus and the Z10 was the only device (the others were and S4 and Iphone 5) that could reply to email and txt via the Lexus automatic reply feature.
    04-30-14 05:23 PM
    You just have to turn on mass storage as others have said, there is no issue. One idea a friend had was to just load up a cheap ($20) USB thumbdrive with 32GB of music and leave it plugged in, that way it's always on, and doesn't drain any battery. Use Bluetooth when you want to stream internet content and stuff not on the drive if need be.
    04-30-14 05:24 PM
    - Better sharing of videos (you take a video longer than 7 seconds and you can't do anything with it! it's too big for email, BBM etc..)

On this, it isn't an issue with sharing. Its the fact the video camera records in no less than 720pHD (up to 1080pHD on my Z30)... unless I'm missing a setting somewhere....
    As you cant shoot at a lower resolution, it doesn't create a small file sized video that can be easily shared.
    BBM max is 16mb, most email is around 10mb max for attachments, however Bluetooth/NFC/FTP/Cloud shouldn't have any issues.
    04-30-14 05:27 PM
    I have a situation where I'm getting a new gmc Sierra pickup

The blue tooth music works great, it just finds it all on the device and allows to play and search.

The hands free phone works great, crystal clear and easy

...but

I'm disappointed that there is no hands free text/email

It doesn't even read new text messages.

I hope that the gmc 'Intellilink' eventually is able to release new software update to allow for hands free text and email

Afterall, the hardware speaks and listens, so in my opinion it is more of a software issue then hardware.

I hope my above assumption is correct because I plan on having this truck for a long time

By the way, I sport a white z30 to match my diamond white Sierra!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 05:33 PM
    BlackBerry can't do anything here - the in-car integration stuff is a done on the car side, not the phone side. The car manufacturers have to support the phones. Sadly, most cater to iPhone first, and maybe Android second. OP should be batching st BMW, not BlackBerry.
    04-30-14 06:32 PM
69 123