The situation occured yesterday.
    I was scrolling through my photo library with less than 10% power on my phone. I thought at any moment the phone should shut down, so I RUN to my charcher... during the run, I saw the message "shutting down? appearing. Although I plugged in while the screen was still showing the last photo I was looking to, the phone shut down (already plugged in). It showed the yellow flash (charging) in full screen and the yellow LED blinked 2 times. I then decided to restart the phone immediately. The red light showed for a long second "as usual". The phone started to 100% and showed SIM lock and picture password screens. The home screen then showed and I let it there charging. At the morrow/morning, I was irritated by the alarm not being a song I allotted to it. I looked... music library gone, photos gone. By browsing the phone on my computer, the SD card had empty folders, created yesterday, at the date and hour of the inccident. Thus: the card has been formatted by the phone.
    The only things I lost were photos I've made yesterday as well as my "occasionally" dowloaded files, those I saved while browsing on the phone and not saved to my computer. (The important ones I mail to my self by sharing function).

I have just saved the media files to my computer yesterday in the morning, so I do not feel a great loss...

My question is... what went wrong??

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    10-19-14 03:07 AM
    If there were folders on your SD card in the morning, it's not a format. Maybe, the files index was corrupted. When you first use it, did you format the SD card on your phone ? You can use a tool like Recuva from Piriform to get your media back. Then format your SD Card on your phone before copying them again.
    10-19-14 11:36 AM
    May be you're right, because the phone says the card is as full as yesterday... 26 GB from 32!!
    I updated the OS meanwhile (OTA, Germany, 10.2.2.)... I did not modify my SD card, only took 3 testing pics, to see that it works... Now before doing anything else, I'll test your suggestion! Thanks!! I'll report back!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    10-19-14 12:04 PM
    Pop it out of your phone and into the computer. It's probably not reading the SD card properly.
    There's one thing I tell the older generation that don't know how to use computers. Computers can't do anything by itself, it must be told to do something.
    10-19-14 12:19 PM
    Pop it out of your phone and into the computer. It's probably not reading the SD card properly.
    There's one thing I tell the older generation that don't know how to use computers. Computers can't do anything by itself, it must be told to do something.
    I grew up with MS-DOS and Win 3.1
    I know what I do...
    My SD card is shown as almost full with 26/32 GB. My Phone, as well as my computer show empty folders of \pics \music \docs etc. Folders created yesterday at 21:30, time my device shut down by lack of battery power.
    I am the last one on earth wanting to delete my own mSD card... may be looking to the pics while the phone shut down made him lose track of the card indexing file?!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    Last edited by anischab; 10-19-14 at 02:03 PM.
    10-19-14 01:53 PM
    If there were folders on your SD card in the morning, it's not a format. Maybe, the files index was corrupted. When you first use it, did you format the SD card on your phone ? You can use a tool like Recuva from Piriform to get your media back. Then format your SD Card on your phone before copying them again.
    See my quick answer above... I tried that program. The deleted files are not detected. I think the indexing data file has gone/been overwritten.

10-19-14 02:02 PM
    See my quick answer above... I tried that program. The deleted files are not detected. I think the indexing data file has gone/been overwritten.
    Well, it's not a file per say...
    So, if I were you, I start by pulling out the SD card and scanning it on your PC (right click on your card, Properties, Tools, Error-checking and Check now...). Then, check if you display hidden files in Explorer, and, finally, if the Music/Pictures are here. If not, we can go further, but, as you have a backup, format the SD card in your phone (not your PC). Use the USB connection to copy back your files from your PC to the card through the phone (not by Wi-Fi). And you will be good to go.
    10-19-14 02:35 PM

If you grew up with DOS, you will accomplish this very easily.

Go to Windows command prompt, just type CMD into the Windows search bar (near Start button menu), run as Administrator ...

Run a

chkdsk x: /r /f

Where x: is the drive letter. Check in Disk Management, if it has disappeared. You can perform a test run without /f or /r first.

Check R-Studio, if you like some real good data recovery software. Incredible what it finds. It's definitely worth the money. Canadian product btw...

http://www.r-studio.com/

If you're comfortable, instead of working on the actual unstable, perishable device storage, you can even pull a clone-copy image of this storage medium using R-Studio and run the data recovery attempt off that clone image as many times as you like, without further damaging the original medium.

Good luck / Viel Glueck ... :-)

I had a corrupted SDcard once and know how that feels, especially if you haven't backed up for a while...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-19-14 07:28 PM
    I'd love to fully encrypt the SDcard, but this corruption issue is holding me back. Apparently no chance to fix this if it's fully encrypted...

These "run-to-the-charger" and haphazardly executed restart shenanigans cause more harm than good. Been there, done that. :-) Lose your progress in an app, but don't lose your files...

Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-19-14 at 07:44 PM.
    10-19-14 07:33 PM
    Be careful where your going with this statement sunshine.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.2.1.2977 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    10-19-14 07:45 PM
    Prem it's not a good idea to run chkdsk on a memory card. The read/write function is somewhat limited on these cards and running this utility will degrade the card.

10-19-14 07:54 PM
    Prem it's not a good idea to run chkdsk on a memory card. The read/write function is somewhat limited on these cards and running this utility will degrade the card.

That's why I suggested pulling an image further below to avoid degradation. Many tools out there to accomplish that for Windows. My favorite is a Linux / Unix

dd

or even better

ddrescue

You can then run the data recovery on the image, or even mount the image as a virtual drive (using OSF Mount, etc.) and run chkdsk on that...

Appreciate your input. It's just a question of how far OP wants to go and how advanced and involved a recovery process he wants to go through...

10-19-14 08:19 PM
    MS DOS and windows see only the new folders of the card. The card is said beeing 4GB free as if it is a 4 GB card... The phone showed 26GB/29GB)...
    I formatted it. Now it shows 29GB (it's a 32GB card!!)... is it damaged?? Shouldn't the formatted card be 32?
    I continue with it. I'll just copy the files I need on it.
    My "lost" files were synchronised with the Computer, so not really lost!

10-20-14 01:17 PM
    I formatted it. Now it shows 29GB (it's a 32GB card!!)... is it damaged?? Shouldn't the formatted card be 32?
    I continue with it. I'll just copy the files I need on it.
    No, it's perfectly normal ; it depends on the File System used.
    Hope you use your phone to format it as advise
    10-20-14 01:32 PM
    No, it's perfectly normal ; it depends on the File System used.
    Hope you use your phone to format it as advise
    Yes, I did ;-)

10-20-14 01:49 PM