If BB10 is set up the way I'm thinking it will be set up, then side by side screens may not be necessary (on the phones at least). Side by side screens are great for things like watching a video or browsing the web while also being able to reply to a message without pausing the video or losing your web page. However, if the Hub works in the way I'm thinking it will, you could be watching a video, get a message, swipe left to open the Hub (which should leave the video still playing in the background), open your message and reply, and then swipe right to get back to your still playing video. This essentially is accomplishing the same task, albeit in a different way. How the Hub will actually work is a big question, as i'm wondering if you're in the Hub and open a SMS convo, if you swipe right to go back to whatever you were doing before, if that convo is left open in the Hub, or if it goes back to it's default screen (as this would mean having to re-open the Hub, and then re-open the SMS convo, taking more steps than needed). How all this is handled will probably be the deciding factor as to whether I jump on board and try it, or wait for the GS4.
    Yes, I believe that you are correct with how the active frame will react when minimized. Currently with my PB, I can be watching a YouTube video, minimize it, open my messages, tap out a quick email, view a link on the web, and all the while the video is still playing and output of sound is still happening. I can't see them not having this available. As for the Hub, I think that it will work as you described it. Can't say for certain as I've never had my hands on one but logically, it makes sense.
    01-16-13 04:04 PM
    I looked at leaked training slides (Rogers slides)
    and
    it looks like all features that have been leaked so far are the ones in leaked training slides as well.

Does this mean RIM doesn't have much surprises left for launch?
    01-16-13 10:39 PM
    I looked at leaked training slides (Rogers slides)
    and
    it looks like all features that have been leaked so far are the ones in leaked training slides as well.

Does this mean RIM doesn't have much surprises left for launch?
    Not sure if you noticed, but the training slides skip multiple pages ;-)

It would be my best guess...well maybe a bit better than a guess...that there will be plenty of surprises at launch.
    01-16-13 11:57 PM
    one of the worst things was keeping the blackberry brand. rim should have rebranded imo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Admorris likes this.
    01-17-13 12:43 AM
    Most of the leaks are planned IMHO. And you know something is up when certain things never get leaked.

1. Processor specs have never been revealed.
    2. headline apps have never been leaked
    3. The newer functionality has only been leaked to the bare minimum - voice control, map navigation, bbm video chat, screen sharing. - these have been functional on internal builds since december

Anyone with a keen eye will realise we keep seeing the same information being leaked over and over, just differently. What has been leaked is designed to maintain momentum and get potential buyers into the mindset that they NEED to "check out that blackberry 10" when it launches.

The launch will serve to confirm a lot of the leaks as well as provide depth to them and introduce the headline apps and finer points of the software.
    Yup Yup Yup.
    01-17-13 02:29 AM
    Where in the **** do you BB guys get your technical information? Good lord

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    The guy has 15 posts, easy who you lump in with being a TRUE BB guy! you have more CB posts than he, whats that make you?
    01-17-13 02:32 AM
    I'm still waiting to see an example of BlackBerry 10 multitasking better than Android.

Rickroller had no trouble finding a great example of how well Android can multitask. Seems like it would be even easier to find evidence of BlackBerry 10 multitasking better than that. Considering that for months we've seen people going on and on about "real-time os" that and "industry leading multitasking" this.

I think a lot of people here should lower their expectations a tad bit. I'm sure BlackBerry is capable of doing some great things. But so far, I haven't seen any evidence of it doing any of those great things. I certainly haven't seen it multitask as well as Android will.

High expectations = a invitation for disappointment.
    Your asking to see something from an OS thats not even in the market yet? Tough crowd!
    01-17-13 02:38 AM
    one of the worst things was keeping the blackberry brand. rim should have rebranded imo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Quote of the year right there!! what it has to do with this thread, you got me. Nicely played!
    01-17-13 02:47 AM
    Yes, I believe that you are correct with how the active frame will react when minimized. Currently with my PB, I can be watching a YouTube video, minimize it, open my messages, tap out a quick email, view a link on the web, and all the while the video is still playing and output of sound is still happening. I can't see them not having this available. As for the Hub, I think that it will work as you described it. Can't say for certain as I've never had my hands on one but logically, it makes sense.
    have you tried using your playbook for listening to music on youtube whilst browsing another tab? playbook fails to multitask there. playbook really needs work to be considered a true multitasking tool. there are too many limitations atm.
    i really hope bb10 fixes that issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 05:28 AM
    Your asking to see something from an OS thats not even in the market yet? Tough crowd!
    not really. people are claiming things as facts. its only fair to get them to demonstrate where they got their facts from.

Admorris, Saiga and mikeo007 like this.
    01-17-13 05:29 AM
    Exactly!

That is my point. It's not in the market yet, but I continually see people that have never even been in the same room with one going on and on about how flipping amazing it is. These people are not only over hyping themselves, but also setting others up for disappointment. Too many people here are expecting way way too much.

I've had a Dev Alpha since May and I've used a national dance alliance version of a BlackBerry 10 device. I'm excited about it. It seems like a nice product that has potential. BUT I'm also familiar with RIM's competitors and I tend to keep my expectations realistic. I only asked for an example to try to show everyone that a lot of people here are spouting off nonsense as if it were facts. That's not a good thing to be doing. It will only cause a backlash once people realize that BB10 isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Seriously, we had someone on this thread actually type out these words:

You could add 6 GB of RAM and 40 cores to your Note 2 and it still wouldn't be able to multi-task for real. Don't get me wrong, the Note 2 is a nice phone but can't compare to the power of BlackBerry 10.
    It's just factually wrong (maybe a bit irresponsible) and ridiculous to make comments like that. Especially when some people on this forum may not know any better and might actually believe such nonsense. This same type of activity went on during the weeks leading up to the PlayBook launch. Look at how well that turned out.
    Admorris, Rickroller and pillswoj like this.
    01-17-13 07:28 AM
    Exactly!

That is my point. It's not in the market yet, but I continually see people that have never even been in the same room with one going on and on about how flipping amazing it is. These people are not only over hyping themselves, but also setting others up for disappointment. Too many people here are expecting way way too much.

I've had a Dev Alpha since May and I've used a national dance alliance version of a BlackBerry 10 device. I'm excited about it. It seems like a nice product that has potential. BUT I'm also familiar with RIM's competitors and I tend to keep my expectations realistic. I only asked for an example to try to show everyone that a lot of people here are spouting off nonsense as if it were facts. That's not a good thing to be doing. It will only cause a backlash once people realize that BB10 isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Seriously, we had someone on this thread actually type out these words:

It's just factually wrong (maybe a bit irresponsible) and ridiculous to make comments like that. Especially when some people on this forum may not know any better and might actually believe such nonsense. This same type of activity went on during the weeks leading up to the PlayBook launch. Look at how well that turned out.
    exactly this.
    there are casual users here who do not follow bb10 and they will get carried away with the hype and expect a super phone. then when bb10 is released their first reaction will be disappointment.
    theres nothing wrong with being excited. but make it clear that its your own opinion, and dont try and pass unconfirmed things off as fact.
    just browsing these forums makes me think bb10 will be a game changer, when what i have actually seen with my own eyes is that its a worthy 3rd competitor.
    blackberry is my device of choice, but i'm not going to call bb10 a game changer until i see it do something that actually changes the game.
    the potential is there, but as of right now, bb10 is another os worth considering.

01-17-13 09:15 AM
    If you are looking for some magical multitasking all singing and all dancing gimmick to save BB10, then you will be disappointed.

But BB10 being QNX-based means that there is no need for a hypervisor and a second OS to run the baseband --- and that alone will save 10% of the CPU overhead when compared to Android/Qualcomm combos. That QNX being safety certified means that any time you want to watch netflix HD or make a mobile payment --- there is no need to boot up a second secured OS (which is what Texas Instruments is doing with their netflix HD Android app).

These things you can't show it to the casual users as a demo, but they do have enormous real life benefit in terms of top speed and battery life.
    01-17-13 11:24 AM
    exactly this.
    there are casual users here who do not follow bb10 and they will get carried away with the hype and expect a super phone. then when bb10 is released their first reaction will be disappointment.
    On the other hand, for every single person that you described as "carried away" --- there are probably 100 people that still thinks that BBOS as a slow java OS and will be truly surprised on how fast and smooth it is.

Is it going to be an instant game changer? No. It is going to be a slow climb back.
    01-17-13 11:31 AM
    If you are looking for some magical multitasking all singing and all dancing gimmick to save BB10, then you will be disappointed.

But BB10 being QNX-based means that there is no need for a hypervisor and a second OS to run the baseband --- and that alone will save 10% of the CPU overhead when compared to Android/Qualcomm combos. That QNX being safety certified means that any time you want to watch netflix HD or make a mobile payment --- there is no need to boot up a second secured OS (which is what Texas Instruments is doing with their netflix HD Android app).

These things you can't show it to the casual users as a demo, but they do have enormous real life benefit in terms of top speed and battery life.
    android offers decent speeds. but is a battery hog at times.
    if bb10 can offer improved battery life, that is something. but th said they were trying to make it last a day. which is really quite average.

01-17-13 11:32 AM

Is it going to be an instant game changer? No. It is going to be a slow climb back.
    i agree, that was the very point i tried to make at the beginning.
    hopefully rim starts advertising or teasing blackberry 10, its 2 weeks away from launch and the time is right to generate some awareness out there now, since the vast majority of consumers are clueless about it

Admorris likes this.
    01-17-13 01:37 PM
    If the end result is the same, then what is the difference?
    well on iOS... you get that annoying ringtone going off in your ear when you're on a phone call... still
    01-20-13 12:09 AM
    This multitasking beef is starting to get old guys. I don't think "multitasking" is a technical term. At the end of the day, its all about how you use the phone. For some people, listening to music while chatting is considered "multitasking", for others, its about having many apps working in the background. At the end of the day it's just a word. I am hoping that as far as BB10 is concerned, it means i can constantly and quickly switch between apps I am working on (similarly to what you do on your pc or mac). As far as what devices I have tried (not including the note 2), the 9900 seems the best of the available ones for that, thanks to the triple threat (keyboard shortcuts, touch screen and trackpad). The PB is also awesome at that. I find it too annoying to switch apps on the S3, and the W8, compared to the bold anyway. Seems from what ive read and seen so far, it's even better on BB10. The double windows feature for the Note 2 seems cute, reminds me of when i used to compare 2 words documents on my PC . Although I cant remember the last time I did that (maybe it was in 95 or 96). It's probably useful in very specific cases, but not that much when you spend your whole day using your phone for emails, chats, reading, task management and reviewing pdfs, docs and spreadsheets.
    01-20-13 06:17 AM
    Its a phone, how much multitasking does it need?
    Music playing while doing anything else (browsing, messaging, gaming etc) Yes - Don't all phones have this ability now?
    Browsing, looking up contacts, calendar events etc while talking on the phone - Yes - I would hope all smartphone can do this.

What "true" multitasking are we talking about and why would I want it on my phone? This is a serious question, I did not consider this during my smartphone research and am getting a new phone at the end of the month (WP 8 is currently what I am considering)
    It's not a phone, it's a mobile computing platform
    01-20-13 09:07 AM
    "The best" will be little things:
    * GPS works well
    * Find an old email faster than a coworker
    * Doesn't glitch or rarely glitches
    * Great battery life
    * Web pages work

Those are the things (if we get them) that will matter in the long run. Everyone I know with a smartphone hates his smartphone sometimes. No gimmick can compete with "just works."
    01-20-13 09:30 AM
    This multitasking beef is starting to get old guys. I don't think "multitasking" is a technical term. At the end of the day, its all about how you use the phone. For some people, listening to music while chatting is considered "multitasking", for others, its about having many apps working in the background. At the end of the day it's just a word. I am hoping that as far as BB10 is concerned, it means i can constantly and quickly switch between apps I am working on (similarly to what you do on your pc or mac). As far as what devices I have tried (not including the note 2), the 9900 seems the best of the available ones for that, thanks to the triple threat (keyboard shortcuts, touch screen and trackpad). The PB is also awesome at that. I find it too annoying to switch apps on the S3, and the W8, compared to the bold anyway. Seems from what ive read and seen so far, it's even better on BB10. The double windows feature for the Note 2 seems cute, reminds me of when i used to compare 2 words documents on my PC . Although I cant remember the last time I did that (maybe it was in 95 or 96). It's probably useful in very specific cases, but not that much when you spend your whole day using your phone for emails, chats, reading, task management and reviewing pdfs, docs and spreadsheets.
    A mobile computing platform will automatically connect to your car when you walking toward it, not just music, but location, temperature, tire pressure, service reminders, etc, it may adjust the seating profile, start the environmental control, etc. ... you don't need to open an app for it because the app is running already. It also means in the future you may take a bus, taxi, subway or airplane without doing ticket checking explicitly, getting news,podcast and video downloaded automatically in chosen wifi hotspot, checked to a clinic with your medical info automatically upon you arrival, doors open for you automatically a few seconds before you get there if you have the access to it, getting your coffee becomes picking up your coffee... All being down by super efficient background routines on your phone and you don't even need to worry about battery life. That's why phones not only need multitasking capability, but also need to get it done efficiently.

In last a few days my wife's Iphone drains like crazy, and I couldn't even find a battery logging app (which would have to be running all the time in the background to log the battery usage). In the end I had to turn off most of the push capabilities on her phone to stop the 1% every 3-4 minutes battery drain... That's not the future man.
    BBMak likes this.
    01-20-13 09:43 AM
    have you tried using your playbook for listening to music on youtube whilst browsing another tab? playbook fails to multitask there. playbook really needs work to be considered a true multitasking tool. there are too many limitations atm.
    i really hope bb10 fixes that issue.

I haven't used youtube in the browser as the native app works just fine for me. So the answer is yes, I can start a video, be it music or anything else, swipe up and open different apps including the browser, and it will still play in the background.
    01-20-13 10:39 AM
    I haven't used youtube in the browser as the native app works just fine for me. So the answer is yes, I can start a video, be it music or anything else, swipe up and open different apps including the browser, and it will still play in the background.
    ahh i tend to use the browser shortcut, simply because i find it easier to use.
    but yeah if you are watching a video in one tab and go to a next tab, the first video stops playing. really is quite annoying. the browser cant seem to multitask at all

just want to add that the playbook is still a great tablet. i have not had a major problem with it yet
    01-20-13 01:02 PM

While we don't have any real world tests yet, what we've seen from "leaked" documents, is that there are no "enormous" benefits in the BB10 battery life. It is on par with the other top phones (other than Razr Maxx and Note 2) as far as lasting the day (despite a significantly smaller screen than the top Androids). So despite all your technical arguments, the only thing that will matter will be the real life tests..and if the leaks prove anything, they prove that BB10 is "just as good" as Android and iOS for battery.
    01-20-13 01:11 PM
    While we don't have any real world tests yet, what we've seen from "leaked" documents, is that there are no "enormous" benefits in the BB10 battery life. It is on par with the other top phones (other than Razr Maxx and Note 2) as far as lasting the day (despite a significantly smaller screen than the top Androids). So despite all your technical arguments, the only thing that will matter will be the real life tests..and if the leaks prove anything, they prove that BB10 is "just as good" as Android and iOS for battery.
    Also TH was quoted as saying they were working hard to get a days battery life by the time of launch.
    so no overall benefits in battery life unless things have improved vastly. interview was a while ago
    01-20-13 01:13 PM
178 ... 5678