With lesser RAM phones you may be correct...not so much with the newer iteration of Android phones with 2 gigs of ram. If I exit out of an app then it's closed, if I home button out of an app then it's idle and will re-open at paused state.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    With the 2GB BlackBerry Z10, and on the possible low-end BlackBerry Y10 with a simple swipe up from the bottom bezel, you will minimize the app and will lead you to the RUNNING apps screen (up to 8 at a time). Heck, even on my 1GB of RAM BlackBerry PlayBook, running a primitive BlackBerry 10 software I'm able to jump between ALWAYS running apps on the fly.

Oh, and BlackBerry 10 don't need no "Home" button. That is SO outdated.

FYI, RAM has nothing to do with the ability to keep running apps on the background. That is up exclusively to the OS. Android is NOT a real-time, real multi-tasker OS, and you should know it.

You could add 6 GB of RAM and 40 cores to your Note 2 and it still wouldn't be able to multi-task for real. Don't get me wrong, the Note 2 is a nice phone but can't compare to the power of BlackBerry 10.
    01-15-13 09:52 PM
    From whats shown so far, aside from Multitasking, which only becomes an issue when you have apps to multitask between, how is it in any way equal to the competition? So far?
    That is true multitasking is incredible. Take for example the only multitasking phone available now..."Palm." I had the Palm Pre it is awesome it does things that Android and iPhone can not do (in my opinion). Yet, Palm lacks service providers and apps. But, we all know RIM has taken care of that so it will make it.
    No popular phone right now can multitask in a way similar to a computer. Yet, Palm tired it and and failed by not having a variety of apps to appeal to the whole population. In my opinion RIM has done everything to intrigue the general population. Even if there are no new surprise on the 30th it will be enough to keep customers once they experience real multitasking. It is like synchronizing calendars. You do not really see the need for doing it. But, once you experience what it does it is hard to let go. That is what RIM is doing with their OS, APPs and selection of service providers. Bring to the spot light the necessity of computer like multitasking to mobile devices.
    So in summary...yeah how can you say that, "BB10 is very much equal with the competition."
    01-15-13 10:01 PM
    15 days to go
    01-15-13 10:46 PM
    I know that RIM is hiding something. Remember about the 90% is what RIM wants to be leaked and the other 10% they don't. Well BBM video calling was part of that 10% and look how quickly they got it off of the main CrackBerry website. The video that was released today would have been taken down if it revealed too much about the OS that RIM did not want you to know. Just my opinion.
    01-15-13 11:30 PM
    The Z10's Keyboard, OS, true mutli-tasking and browser speed won me over. Any more announcements on Jan 30th is just the icing on the cake. 14 days left!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrownIsle likes this.
    01-15-13 11:33 PM
    The Z10's Keyboard, OS, true mutli-tasking and browser speed won me over. Any more announcements on Jan 30th is just the icing on the cake. 14 days left!!!

Agreed. I'm already sold on the phone as is (though I'll admit, having a Dev Alpha and actually getting an excellent preview pushed me over the edge). Yes, anything else they introduce will be "gravy".
    01-16-13 01:57 AM
    we have seen plenty of the cascades as its built into UI/framework and we see that in all the apps and features we have seen so far.

Story Maker is the video editing software that has been shown off a few times.

Apps will be something to be revealed still and the cloud is still unclear on how much RIM has there.

There are things we havent seen obviously but there is alot we have seen. but to say "nothing really" is far from the truth
    I'm not of the opinion that we've seen that much of any of the above items, I surely hope to see more!
    In addition perhaps some of the big surprise will come form 3rd party integration into the "platform" We need to remember RIM is working on more than just a phone OS!
    k3vtruj likes this.
    01-16-13 03:21 AM
    Expect for the 3rd party killer apps coming to Blackberry 10. All default apps are almost revealed.
    01-16-13 04:42 AM
    I think that they're hiding something big!
    01-16-13 06:19 AM
    /
    BB10 has nothing to tempt iOS/Android users away? Nothing? Are you serious? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing? Nothing?

I had to see your post count and your badge, because you really seem misinformed about BlackBerry 10. We all here know iOS has a lot of users and lovers, and so does Android, but seriously? Nothing? You saying that BB10 is just too little? I mean, nothing?

I'm sorry but I just can't get over it... Nothing? Like nothing nothing?

I really think that you need to separate two things. One thing is user adoption and the other is actual Operative System matches. The first dictates if an OS is successful or not, the second if the OS is better or not. iOS is NOTHING but an app launcher platform. It does nothing if it doesn't have "an app for that". What made iOS what it is today were the DEVELOPERS that were the ones that took iOS to a whole new level. iOS is just a dumb OS if you really look at it. If you want to do something on it you must launch an app that will do what the OS itself can't.

Look, no one here is claiming that BlackBerry 10 will take iOS or Android down in the short term. BB10 is an impressive OS that will go to the hands of the consumers in two weeks and will prove itself as a real contender for iOS and Android.

I know that you "want to keep this thread civil" but dam dude, it's hard to stay calm when you see this much skepticism flirting with troll-ism. QNX + BlackBerry 10 + time = will prove you wrong, and that will be the major surprise from RIM.
    keep calm lol.
    i said it has nothing to tempt fans, not users. i see a huge difference in the 2.
    fans are usually into their os, so i imagine that it would take something special to tempt them away. bb10 does not have something special for that task.
    users are just general consumers, and they just want things that works. bb10 has every chance of tempting them.
    so while you are having a go at me in your post, we actually agree.

01-16-13 06:57 AM
    I think that they're hiding something big!
    I agree. It makes no sense to think they put all their cards on the table before launch.
    01-16-13 07:03 AM
    [QUOTE=THBW;7857560]
    I honestly dont expect to see any major surprises come the 30th.

I think we've already seen the biggest features that BB10 has to offer.
    The reason for this is because i read somewhere that in an interview that a RIM exec stated that their target with BB10 is 3rd, once they have 3rd wrapped up, they will shoot for second, then 1st in the mobile market.
    This along with the fact that BB10, so far, offers nothing to tempt away fans of the other platforms, is what makes me think there is not much more to see from BB10. At best BB10 can grab the casual users of other platforms which by itself is no insignificant number.

Personally i think this is incredibly smart and realistic of RIM, they arent going all in, as people like to claim. While BB10 is certainly a last shot, they're aiming to rebuild themselves slowly, not in one fell swoop.
    This is good because BB10 needs a lot more before it can hope to beat iOS and Android. I also think BB10 has the potential to evolve into an iOS/Android beater. but it will take time, and the fact RIM are shooting to retain the third at first shows they realise this

I'm seeing a lot of excitement for BB10 which isnt a bad thing, but i hope too many dont get caught up and expect something RIM cant deliver, because they will blame RIM for raising expectations when RIM are actually not guilty of that.

End of quote

While I appreciate your opinion, I think you are off base. Just look at the new releases we saw today. In every aspect, BB10 simply blows Apple out of the water. The camera comparison on gadgetmaster was particularly telling. Wow, the iPhone just looked like some sort of relic from the 18th century. This demonstration alone made me reflect on all the other issues that Apple seems to have with IOS. Can't incorporate an NFC chip that has been rival phones for two years. I used to loath the word leap frog from RIM but it looks like that just might happen. Why not think about being #1 or perhaps #2. It all seems possible with BB10.
    i appreciate your opinion. i've not seen the camera demo you speak of yet. but interestingly enough i've seen accounts by people who have used it saying that camera is below par. i guess we shall see for ourselves.
    maybe i am off. not long left to find out

01-16-13 07:04 AM
    With the 2GB BlackBerry Z10, and on the possible low-end BlackBerry Y10 with a simple swipe up from the bottom bezel, you will minimize the app and will lead you to the RUNNING apps screen (up to 8 at a time). Heck, even on my 1GB of RAM BlackBerry PlayBook, running a primitive BlackBerry 10 software I'm able to jump between ALWAYS running apps on the fly.

FYI, RAM has nothing to do with the ability to keep running apps on the background. That is up exclusively to the OS. Android is NOT a real-time, real multi-tasker OS, and you should know it.

You could add 6 GB of RAM and 40 cores to your Note 2 and it still wouldn't be able to multi-task for real. Don't get me wrong, the Note 2 is a nice phone but can't compare to the power of BlackBerry 10.
    What you wrote is just factually incorrect...there is no other way to put it. Please do a small amount of research before posting what you think you know. I'm not getting in a back and forth with you because you clearly are not knowledgeable regarding Android or memory in general. And to say that the Note 2 can't compete with the power of BB10 may be the most laughable comment I've ever read on any forum...ever. I do however wish the phone success and hope you're happy with it. If it does well and BB decides on a larger screen down the road, I may end up trying it out...who knows.

Saiga and Rickroller like this.
    01-16-13 07:51 AM
    Oh no no no my friend, that sucks, that is app switching... and is not real multitasking... some of those are open apps and some other are recent opened apps, even the "opened apps", that are suposed to be running, they are just "paused".. in a stand by mode, when you relaunch them, they "refresh" everything, try puting your chrome browser on idle and then coming back, it will "refresh" but not "updated" its content.
    So you mean like BlackBerry 10 does?

BlackBerry 10 doesn't multitask like the PlayBook does, at least not yet. There is no "all singing all dancing" like there was on the PlayBook. You can't take the video player, YouTube, Pandora, all 4 Angry Birds games and need for speed and let them all run at once and hear and see them running in the background. With BlackBerry 10, you minimize a game or a video and it stops. It pauses the instant it enters the background. The only exceptions are the same exceptions made with iOS. Apps like Pandora will play audio while in the background, but pretty much everything else pauses and in some cases gets killed to free up resources for other tasks. Browser tabs included. There is no opening the browser to a YouTube song list, then sending the browser to the background while you listen to tunes like the PlayBook allows you to do.

Android's allegedly inferior multitasking will at least allow you to see two apps running on the same screen. I can watch a video while I compose an email or surf the internet on Android, I can't do that with BlackBerry 10. Look at the latest Galaxy devices and the ICS powered Optimus G. With those, you can actually see two apps running at once. You can see a ton of apps running at once on the PlayBook. That isn't the case with BlackBerry 10 so far. I've yet to see a single example of BlackBerry 10 multitasking better than what I have seen certain ICS and Jelly Bean devices do. If you have an example, I'd love to see it.
    01-16-13 07:51 AM

You CLEARLY have no idea what the Note 2 is capable of for multi-tasking. I suggest you educate yourself about other platforms before making wild claims. I'll even link you a video to help with this..

01-16-13 08:05 AM
    Android's allegedly inferior multitasking will at least allow you to see two apps running on the same screen. I can watch a video while I compose an email or surf the internet on Android, I can't do that with BlackBerry 10. Look at the latest Galaxy devices and the ICS powered Optimus G. With those, you can actually see two apps running at once. You can see a ton of apps running at once on the PlayBook. That isn't the case with BlackBerry 10 so far. I've yet to see a single example of BlackBerry 10 multitasking better than what I have seen certain ICS and Jelly Bean devices do. If you have an example, I'd love to see it.
    You can actually have 3 apps running at once with the Note 10.1 tablet (so i'll assume it's the same with Note 2). I can have a video playing, minimize it to cascade mode, and then using multiwindow, open up 2 other apps such as browser and Gmail, or Twitter and FB..whatever 2 I want really and STILL watch my video playing. With the PB in Showcase mode, you can minimize a running video, but you can't open any other app up with the PB and still see your video running.
    01-16-13 08:11 AM
    For those who have handled the phones they have good things to say about it. There seems to be genuine excitement for this phone. If it was simply a me too phone it would seem there would be a meh attitude towards it. Why are people excited for something that the competition can do? Is it RIM? For some people they are DOA. I think we have seen just the tip of the iceberg into what RIM is going to accomplish or has to offer.
    01-16-13 08:16 AM
    You can actually have 3 apps running at once with the Note 10.1 tablet (so i'll assume it's the same with Note 2). I can have a video playing, minimize it to cascade mode, and then using multiwindow, open up 2 other apps such as browser and Gmail, or Twitter and FB..whatever 2 I want really and STILL watch my video playing. With the PB in Showcase mode, you can minimize a running video, but you can't open any other app up with the PB and still see your video running.
    Oh yeah I know, the PlayBook has what most would consider useless, show off type multitasking. It will run a ton of stuff at once and it seems cool, but it isn't very useful. The video you just posted is a great example of useful multitasking. I'd love to see just one example of BlackBerry 10 multitasking that well.
    01-16-13 08:17 AM
    For those who have handled the phones they have good things to say about it. There seems to be genuine excitement for this phone. If it was simply a me too phone it would seem there would be a meh attitude towards it. Why are people excited for something that the competition can do? Is it RIM? For some people they are DOA. I think we have seen just the tip of the iceberg into what RIM is going to accomplish or has to offer.
    I agree with you about there being general excitement for BB10. Heck, even i'm excited to see it and i'm an Android fan(boi). I am curious to see how BB10 will handle it's multitasking, as while being able to switch open apps on the fly is great, this doesnt offer me "useful" multitasking such as the Note 2 and 10.1 are capable of. This isn't to say that BB10 won't have something similiar to that, or even better, but we have yet to see it yet..so until then, wild claims about BB10's unmatched multitasking are just that, wild claims.
    01-16-13 08:29 AM
    Its a phone, how much multitasking does it need?
    Music playing while doing anything else (browsing, messaging, gaming etc) Yes - Don't all phones have this ability now?
    Browsing, looking up contacts, calendar events etc while talking on the phone - Yes - I would hope all smartphone can do this.

What "true" multitasking are we talking about and why would I want it on my phone? This is a serious question, I did not consider this during my smartphone research and am getting a new phone at the end of the month (WP 8 is currently what I am considering)
    01-16-13 09:03 AM
    That is a cool feature having 3 different things on your screen at once, but like my desktop, i usually only have one thing open so i can complete that task, than switch back to whatever i was doing... Im not a robot with 6 hands, i can only look at and interact with one thing at a time... And i would prefer that one thing to be the full size of the screen... Maybe im to much of a realist, and not think of the future when ill have android arms grafted onto my body so i can keep up with the amazing multitasking of the note2
    01-16-13 09:19 AM
    Its a phone, how much multitasking does it need?
    Music playing while doing anything else (browsing, messaging, gaming etc) Yes - Don't all phones have this ability now?
    Browsing, looking up contacts, calendar events etc while talking on the phone - Yes - I would hope all smartphone can do this.

What "true" multitasking are we talking about and why would I want it on my phone? This is a serious question, I did not consider this during my smartphone research and am getting a new phone at the end of the month (WP 8 is currently what I am considering)
    What they are talking about above is the Note 2's ability to actually have a split screen of two apps open and actually running at the same time. It's quite useful if let's say you're in a text conversation with someone and you're browsing a forum and don't want to keep switching back and forth. I posted a pic below showing this post open along with Engadget open.

pillswoj and AtomicFrost like this.
    01-16-13 09:23 AM
    I'm be very happy with all that that I've seen so far with BB10. But I'll admit that it'll take much more to convince the RIM-bashers and public opinion, let alone return back to profitability/confidence.

Seeing how the smartphone landscape is at the moment, I think the clouds are clearing and Blackberry's time to shine is drawing ever closer.
    01-16-13 09:26 AM
    That is a cool feature having 3 different things on your screen at once, but like my desktop, i usually only have one thing open so i can complete that task, than switch back to whatever i was doing... Im not a robot with 6 hands, i can only look at and interact with one thing at a time... And i would prefer that one thing to be the full size of the screen... Maybe im to much of a realist, and not think of the future when ill have android arms grafted onto my body so i can keep up with the amazing multitasking of the note2
    Luckily for you, only one hand is needed for all this
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    01-16-13 09:32 AM
    [QUOTE=Admorris;7857570]

On one hand you say don't raise expectations, on the other you say that rim can leapfrog in to number 1 or 2?

Umm, you do know I was responding to a previous comment. Note the "End of Quote" remark.
    01-16-13 10:17 AM
178 ... 34567 ...