I wish everyone would stop telling the OP that they were doing something wrong.
    I agree, but OP is saying that the PP camera is no good because of the blurry screen shot and footage. Most of us are just trying to let him know the reason for why his footage is blurry, which is because of the use of the Digital zoom.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-03-14 02:35 PM
    I think you let your passport down
    gfondeur and bigbbrybeliever like this.
    11-03-14 06:52 PM
    The clear delta is the software. BlackBerry has never had a camera software design group. It was using its existing resources, quality people but not experts in this type of software.
    What's your source for this?
    11-03-14 07:11 PM
    I know it is a bit too late, but upon fiddling with my Z30 camera, I have noticed that low light video comes out better with the following settings: 720P/1080P @30FPS, Image Stablization = OFF, Video focus = OFF (tap and hold to lock focus for concerts). The camera seems to overcompensate in low-light. Turning off features seems to yield better results. In the daytime the 60FPS option might be better utilized. Image stabilization reduces quality but helps if you are recording on a train. Continuous Video focus is good unless you are recording the same thing from roughly the same distance otherwise it's going to want to focus on anything that comes within view whether it is 100 feet or 10 feet away. Yes I agree it isn't the most user friendly smartphone camera. I really hope their new camera team can make serious (and quick) improvements.
    11-03-14 07:17 PM
    First, congratulations on not getting caught and getting thrown out of the venue. Taking pictures or video during a concert is, in almost all cases, illegal, just like ripping a MP3 from a Youtube video. The fact that you uploaded a still of this in a very public forum should get you worried...just kidding.

That said, I can agree with you that Passport camera probably isn't optimized to take quality video in dark concert venues where performers and audience members are constantly moving and strobe lights of different colors are popping. Like another poster stated, I really can't defend Passport camera in this regard. If you are a frequent attendee of concerts and a avid videographer of these concerts (don't say I didn't warn you about this this), I definitely suggest you get a different phone. Passport just isn't built for that.

Hopefully, this is a grip on just one feature and not a judgement on the phone itself. Passport isn't perfect. There are many aspects of this phone that fall behind others On the flipside, there are just as many (if not more) that stand head and shoulder above the competitors. If Passport isn't satisfying you beyond this camera issue, I suspect you bought the wrong phone. Sell it (or return it) and get any one of other great phones from other OEMs.
    gfondeur and Rowan M like this.
    11-03-14 08:42 PM
    I find that very hard to believe. So far this has been one of the best cameras on a phone lately. Check out these unedited I photos I took lastnight and five mins ago.
    Attachment 311830
    Attachment 311831

BBM: 2BE320B5 IG: iinkmywholebodiie
    Great night pic. Really can't complain about still pics. Passport (and my Z30) take great stills.
    bigbbrybeliever likes this.
    11-03-14 08:46 PM
    Z30 was taking best pictures compared to SGS4 and iphone5S at a black light party if this counts
    mikedolo and Lawrie Sherratt like this.
    11-03-14 09:00 PM
    Your first problem, was that you were at an Usher concert.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 09:03 PM
    lol
    11-03-14 09:45 PM
    Z30 was taking best pictures compared to SGS4 and iphone5S at a black light party if this counts
    Yes, of course.
    11-03-14 10:07 PM
    I find that very hard to believe. So far this has been one of the best cameras on a phone lately. Check out these unedited I photos I took lastnight and five mins ago.
    Attachment 311831

BBM: 2BE320B5 IG: iinkmywholebodiie
    THIS! Why in the world does BlackBerry cameras do that on light sources? As you can see, there are 6 lines coming out of that bulb on the mid left, I noticed other phones don't do that or it's way less.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 10:36 PM
    Sorry to hear that. The frustrating part about the camera software on 10.2.1 for example on a Z30 is that auto mode seems to do squat. For example, why do I have to select night mode when it is dark, shouldn't auto mode do that for me?

Your passport video sceenshot totally blows. Hopefully the camera/video software is improved - if it is user error, well then that is still a farce. The camera should be tolerant of user error. For gods sake if BBs competitors can do it, then so can Blackberry.

That said, the passport appears to take very good photos and it does have good hardware. BB get on it and fix the camera software asap. Presumably you hired someone, put them to good use right away.
    11-03-14 11:06 PM
    ...For me the focusing issue makes the camera almost unbearable to use. It's a freakin phone camera, if I wanted to be messing around waiting for it to focus or trying to focus it myself, or messing around with settings (as some of you suggest), I'd be caring around a SLR. I don't expect it to take amazing pictures that contend with my point and shoot or a SLR camera, but I do expect it to take a semi decent picture when I point it at something and hit the shutter button. Not a blurry picture of the floor seconds later.
    Well, while I agree that the reasonable expectation of phone cameras is a point-and-shoot experience, I have fought auto-features enough, across devices, to really, really, really want a "fully" manual mode, with things like full range sliders for focus and exposure, as well as maybe little halfway-house functions like one-shot (...as opposed to continous) sampling of things like those two and white balance.
    11-04-14 12:35 AM
    No problems with my camera at concerts or otherwise [Z30]
    My passport let me down last night-img_20141025_224208_edit.jpg
    My passport let me down last night-img_20141025_201612.jpg
    My passport let me down last night-img_20140919_120003.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails My passport let me down last night-img_20140909_142118.png  
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    11-04-14 02:31 AM
    its not the phone, its the user that uses the phone!

Flashy light, sounds, and more and no "focus issues"
    11-04-14 03:59 AM
    Did you take the protecting film of the camera lens off?? Just asking...

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    +This
    11-04-14 04:28 AM
    We need a wider aperture and more settings, like shutter speed and I SO, not more megapixels. Please, next full touch, have an awesome camera.
    it only needs a bigger sensor really, and better digital processing. Aperture is pretty good at f/2, shutter speed wouldn't help much here.
    11-04-14 05:00 AM
    i have a cheap canon powershot A495 laying around here its 10MP.

I can set iso: 80 - 1600 but thats kinda it.

So yes, shutter speed would be nice to have as settings, just like iso.
    11-04-14 05:03 AM
    i have a cheap canon powershot A495 laying around here its 10MP.

I can set iso: 80 - 1600 but thats kinda it.

So yes, shutter speed would be nice to have as settings, just like iso.
    I don't think having those settings to choose would help in this particular situation... It would still look bad, Passport doesn't have a "great" camera, wich is the same as the LG G3 and pictures there aren't any better.

People want a lot of megapixels, then have to deal with the consequences, meaning Crap image quality in low light. That's why iphones with 8MP are good allround cameras. Look at Samsung galaxy S5, has even more megapixels, sucks even more in low light. Less Megapixels means bigger pixels, bigger pixes is beter than small pixels in low light.

But hey, I saw everybody jumping in the forum when we got to know that passport was 13mp! "wow finaly a good camera they said"
    11-04-14 05:14 AM
    Not going to argue this point by the OP at all.

I would say however that you might have bought the Passport for the wrong reason if you were expecting to take great low light pictures. Remember, BlackBerry's focus isn't camera/media; it's productivity. You might want to consider "dual-wielding" a iPhone or iPod Touch with your Passport.
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-04-14 07:11 AM
    Apologies for deviating from the topic of this thread . . . but for a change of mood . . . http://iwontletyoudown.com/

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:34 AM
    Put down your phone and enjoy the concert?

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    11-04-14 08:20 AM
    DXO Mark Camera ratings...

Mind you the Passport hasn't been tested:

DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark

My passport let me down last night-screen-shot-2014-11-04-10.16.08-am.jpg
    11-04-14 09:16 AM
    I think it's a good camera. It's bb's software that runs it that sucks.
    vaioman likes this.
    11-04-14 09:34 AM
    DXO Mark Camera ratings...

Mind you the Passport hasn't been tested:

DxOMark Mobile - DxOMark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 10.16.08 AM.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	312057
    DxO tests are meaningless for consumers and real world use, they are lab tests, and posting them here is completely misleading. Their tests are very specific and most of the times they don't translate in the real world use... They compare things like RAW images coming out of the sensor, wich you'll never see in 99% of the phones.

Nokia 1020 still is, and BY FAR, the best phone camera, nothing comes even close... Simply because it has a huge sensor (for smartphone standards)

look at sensor size comparison here
    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/ima...7825F?v=mpbl-1
    11-04-14 10:43 AM
81 1234