Im self employed, I run most of my business on my Z10. It totally fails to disappoint me in any way. Disgusting!
    I agree, I don't miss rebooting android all the time just to get it to work.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    11-23-13 05:12 AM
    OK...you are not understanding what I am saying. The page photo app is in Evernote, which means it IS in Remember, unless I am really missing something. I do not think Remember restricts Evernote at all. And like I said before...you are using an assistant to do a lot of functions that your phone can do, so you may not be the typical smartphone user.

I did look at OmniFocus 2 for my iPhone, but it doesn't look like it's worth 20 for me.

Does OmniFocus integrate with the iPhone Calendar...as in will it pop up reminders from the Calendar? I sync all my Calendars with Gmail so I can use multiple devices if necessary.

My main use for Evernote is the page photo app to record and transmit notes I make. That isn't in remember. I do respond to emails although I try to cluster those and do them in groups. I also file a lot in a folder for my assistant to deal with on her own or in discussions with me. We meet a few times a week to go over them. If I have to add them to my task list I forward to an Omnifocus server. It sends them back to me more or less instantly formatted for entry to Omnifocus. I can be at my desktop or on my phone or iPad and when I get the return email there is a space that says click here to add to Omnifocus, I click and it is on my task list, and that migrates to all my devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:30 AM
    OK...you are not understanding what I am saying. The page photo app is in Evernote, which means it IS in Remember, unless I am really missing something. I do not think Remember restricts Evernote at all. And like I said before...you are using an assistant to do a lot of functions that your phone can do, so you may not be the typical smartphone user.

I did look at OmniFocus 2 for my iPhone, but it doesn't look like it's worth 20 for me.

Does OmniFocus integrate with the iPhone Calendar...as in will it pop up reminders from the Calendar? I sync all my Calendars with Gmail so I can use multiple devices if necessary.

Posted via CB10
    The page photo feature is actually in the iOS and Android apps rather than Evernote itself. So it isn't in remember. Omnifocus doesn't put reminders on my calendar but rather directly on all my devices at the time the reminder is do. I use iOS for most remnders

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:43 AM
    What phone do you have...the Q10?
    The page photo feature is actually in the iOS and Android apps rather than Evernote itself. So it isn't in remember. Omnifocus doesn't put reminders on my calendar but rather directly on all my devices at the time the reminder is do. I use iOS for most remnders

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 10:10 AM
    What phone do you have...the Q10?

Yes. I had an Android phone and an iPhone. I realized that a BB, an old 9630, was a better compliment to the iPhone than the Android phone so re activated that BB. I switched to a Q10 when that came out.
    11-23-13 10:17 AM
    Gotya...I had a Droid Charge last year, then bought an iPhone 5 (to use with a Q10). The 9650 was a nice phone, but the 9900/30 was a pretty big upgrade. Do you run a travel agency? I am always looking for more ways to use my iPhone. But anything that requires typing, I avoid it on the 5. It's so much easier to type on the Q10.

I did try to find "page photo" in the Apple store, but didn't see it. The Evernote manual makes it sound like you just snap a photo with the phone and choose that setting or something. How does page photo work? I really would like to get more use out of Evernote now that it is native on BB, and sync'd to Remember.
    Yes. I had an Android phone and an iPhone. I realized that a BB, an old 9630, was a better compliment to the iPhone than the Android phone so re activated that BB. I switched to a Q10 when that came out.
    11-23-13 10:38 AM
    Gotya...I had a Droid Charge last year, then bought an iPhone 5 (to use with a Q10). The 9650 was a nice phone, but the 9900/30 was a pretty big upgrade. Do you run a travel agency? I am always looking for more ways to use my iPhone. But anything that requires typing, I avoid it on the 5. It's so much easier to type on the Q10.

I did try to find "page photo" in the Apple store, but didn't see it. The Evernote manual makes it sound like you just snap a photo with the phone and choose that setting or something. How does page photo work? I really would like to get more use out of Evernote now that it is native on BB, and sync'd to Remember.

Sorry, I have been very unclear. The page photo function is a feature within the official Evernote apps for iOS and Android. Evernote paired with Moleskine which makes physical notebooks and the page photo function in the apps throws up a template on the screen to match the notebook page for aiming, uses lines in the notebook for focusing and allows multiple notebook pages to be merged in a single note. It also lets it be indexed using handwriting recognition. I use this incessantly. In fact I'm currently in a lecture and making notes, okay I'm taking a few minutes off post this , in the small moleskine notebook that is always in my pocket. I keep a large one on my desk as well and transfer the notes to Evernote one or more times a week. Sometimes these are dozens of pages if I am at a multiday meeting.

I'm not in the travel business although I travel a lot for both business and as a hobby. I'm a molecular biology professor, mostly research, very little teaching. I work in the areas of genetics and genomics. Mostly human genetics but some other types if genetics. As part of that I get deluged by information and use Evernote to organize that. Projects I manage often take multiple years and involve collaborators on multiple continents. So I need fairly heavy duty project management and group wise communication tools.

I also travel a lot to attend or make presentations at scientific meetings. I have switched over to using my iPad for almost all of these presentations. It is a great combination because I can make the presentation on my desktop and save it to iCloud. When I open keynote in my iPad the presentation appears automatically. This even works with my iPhone. I tested it on a presentation in September in which I gave roughly 90 minute presentation with about a slide a minute including animations, link outs to a web movie and had it hooked up to a speaker system in the auditorium for sound on the movie - all from an iPhone 5.
    11-23-13 02:01 PM
    I see. Yeah I never use handwriting. That is one of the biggest benefits of the keyboard for me...and the Voice Central. You can speak a new task, just like you can with Siri on the iPhone. I can't read my ownhandwriting so I use for phone for everything, including taking notes.

Evernote is great for moving stuff from a PC to your phone (and back), but as far as organizing the phone itself...it doesn't have the power of Remember. Nor does OmniFocus. OmniFocus looks pretty solid as far as task go, but not worth splitting my phone up. I like to have one centralize place to go...that I can integrate with various specialty apps. Like Evernote, Exporter,Noted, Checked Task Pro. These things make BB10 much more powerful than iOS and OmniFoucus, in my opinion.

And BB10 has a ton of room to grow. Failure? Nah...but it does need better instructions!

I use interns and pay a small striped, but not enough to have them handle my private business. I'm the owner and the phone saves me from needing an assistant these days.

Anyway, as far as the OS goes, the bottom line is the OS has been a success. It's the phones it's on have not sold well. Not compared to 5 years ago anyway.

But regardless, BB10 is so far ahead of iOS and what you can do with it now. With 10.2.1 you can download Android apps direct without having to sideload them. So apps will be less of an issue for the hardcores that need a lot of apps for whatever reason.

And BB10 is so much better integrated. I really like having an all in one organizer with Remember. I am sure iOS and Android will come up with their own version at some point.

And even though it's a joy to type on the Q10, I would much rather click and save/place than type something out. They need to integrate the call log better with Remember, but I'm sure that's coming.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 02:52 PM
    I see. Yeah I never use handwriting. That is one of the biggest benefits of the keyboard for me...and the Voice Central. You can speak a new task, just like you can with Siri on the iPhone. I can't read my ownhandwriting so I use for phone for everything, including taking notes.

Evernote is great for moving stuff from a PC to your phone (and back), but as far as organizing the phone itself...it doesn't have the power of Remember. Nor does OmniFocus. OmniFocus looks pretty solid as far as task go, but not worth splitting my phone up. I like to have one centralized place to go...that I can integrate with various specialty apps. Like Evernote, Exporter, Noted, Checked Task Pro, etc. These things make BB10 much more powerful than iOS and OmniFoucus, in my opinion.

And BB10 has a ton of room to grow. Failure? Nah...but it does need better instructions!

I use interns and pay a small striped, but not enough to have them handle my private business. I'm the owner and the phone saves me from needing an assistant these days.

Anyway, as far as the OS goes, the bottom line is the OS has been a success. It's the phones it's on have not sold well. Not compared to 5 years ago anyway.

But regardless, BB10 is so far ahead of iOS and what you can do with it now. With 10.2.1 you can download Android apps direct without having to sideload them. So apps will be less of an issue for the hardcores that need a lot of apps for whatever reason.

And BB10 is so much better integrated. I really like having an all in one organizer with Remember. I am sure iOS and Android will come up with their own version at some point.

And even though it's a joy to type on the Q10, I would much rather click and save/place than type something out. They need to integrate the call log better with Remember, but I'm sure that's coming.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 03:22 PM

Evernote is great for moving stuff from a PC to your phone (and back), but as far as organizing the phone itself...it doesn't have the power of Remember. Nor does OmniFocus. OmniFocus looks pretty solid as far as task go, but not worth splitting my phone up. I like to have one centralize place to go...that I can integrate with various specialty apps. Like Evernote, Exporter,Noted, Checked Task Pro. These things make BB10 much more powerful than iOS and OmniFoucus, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I have a very different perspective. I dont see it that I have broken things up. I use Omnifocus for all of my tasks and it is completely integrated across all my devices, whether I am on a plane somewhere and I have it on my phone or ipad or if I am at my desk working on my desktop computer. And while it has a steep learning curve, it is an incredibly powerful task manager. I have to use Exchange for calendar, so something that doesn't work with that is pretty useless to me. Also, for someone who has delegated calendar responsibility, it has to be something that is cross platform and can be done in more that one place and by more than one person. This goes to how different platforms can be more or less useful to different people.

As an example, it's clear that email represents something very different to you than to me, simply because of the different nature of what we do. Email is bread and butter to you. To me, email is a distraction and about 95% of what I get is either informational only, or I dont need to pay any attention to it. I try to offload as much email as possible and try to ignore it for big parts of the day so I can concentrate on more important projects. Even my boss does not expect me to reply immediately to an email, even though to him I often do so. He knows if it is important to call my assistant or my cell phone. He once tracked me down in London for a late report

I do a lot of project management for the people who work for me through web based collaborative tools so that I can monitor and change things while traveling. And again, that is on any iOS device since they have apps that make the interactions with the sites better.

I have tried various ways of taking notes and I prefer handwritten in a notebook. I have tried a BB but there is no way I can type as fast. In addition, I sometimes have to draw diagrams. I sometimes use dictation but that is a bit awkward during a lecture, which is where I often take notes. For longer documents I often dicate and I havent seen anything on the BB can can come close to the Dictamus app in iOS. The real power of iOS to me, and why I think BB is doomed to be honest, is in the combination of the apps and the ecosystem. The power of having apps move your information across from your phone to your tablet, notebook or desktop automatically is where the future is. Google and Apple are battling there and Microsoft is trying as well but I dont see BB being able to compete in that space. The other players are vastly too big for BB to move on them in a significant way. So I don't see BB10 as being integrated at all, because it doesn't have the ecosystem that iOS or Android do.
    11-24-13 01:43 PM
    Success in the market place and making a good productive phone and OS, are not always the same thing.

I have that same Apple ecosystem. IPad, iPhone, Apple TV...all important for my business (music). Google calendar integrates with all of them fine. And Apple does media fantastic.

But staying organized is the most important thing for me. And most people does have an "ecosystem". They expect their phone to do everything. The iphone just doesn't cut it. I loathe typing on it. The Q 10 is as easy as typing on my PC. BB10 just flows.

But this thread is about the OS. And BlackBerry nailed it. Apple is not even close. And what when 10.2.1 releases? You have BlackBerry App World and Google Play.

I LOVE the way the entire OS is organized around Remember. They still need to integrate missed calls/call log into Remember. But I have never seen such a broad based, turn key "app" and OS. I'm not sure Remember is really an app. Maybe it's more of a BB10 hub #2. But BlackBerry is on to something here. My life is so much easier than when BBOS was my main phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:13 PM
    Success in the market place and making a good productive phone and OS, are not always the same thing.

I have that same Apple ecosystem. IPad, iPhone, Apple TV...all important for my business (music). Google calendar integrates with all of them fine. And Apple does media fantastic.

But staying organized is the most important thing for me. And most people does have an "ecosystem". They expect their phone to do everything. The iphone just doesn't cut it. I loathe typing on it. The Q 10 is as easy as typing on my PC. BB10 just flows.

But this thread is about the OS. And BlackBerry nailed it. Apple is not even close. And what when 10.2.1 releases? You have BlackBerry App World and Google Play.

I LOVE the way the entire OS is organized around Remember. They still need to integrate missed calls/call log into Remember. But I have never seen such a broad based, turn key "app" and OS. I'm not sure Remember is really an app. Maybe it's more of a BB10 hub #2. But BlackBerry is on to something here. My life is so much easier than when BBOS was my main phone.

Posted via CB10

Again, I dont see that BB10 is anything special at all. And it doesnt support the apps I need to stay organized and keep my team organized.

But I think you are way off base about the ecosystem and not really understanding what I mean. I agree people expect their phone to do everything, but everything includes access to all of their stuff in the ecosystem. Getting all of your documents on all of your devices is the future. I can prepare a presentation on my desktop and walk into a room and present it from my phone for instance. Google apps and iCloud are the future.
    11-24-13 02:23 PM
    Just because you haven't figured out how, doesn't mean you can't do it. To suggest that iOS is more functionalable than BB10 is a difficult argument to make.

I also don't think you are a typical BlackBerry user. You can stop arguing off topic here. There are several threads to compare the different OS's. And newsflash...BB10 has google apps.

As for this topic, success is a relative term. The OS is very much a success in terms of the OS working and moving past the problems of BBOS. Sales,Not so much compared to what many were hoping for.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:32 PM
    Just because you haven't figured out how, doesn't mean you can't do it. To suggest that iOS is more functionalable than BB10 is a difficult argument to make.

I also don't think you are a typical BlackBerry user. You can stop arguing off topic here. There are several threads to compare the different OS's. And newsflash...BB10 has google apps.

As for this topic, success is a relative term. The OS is very much a success in terms of the OS working and moving past the problems of BBOS. Sales,Not so much compared to what many were hoping for.

Posted via CB10

Im not at all of topic. Am I a typical user, no, nor are you. The problem is that iOS, the problem from the perspective of BB that is, and Android have much more flexibility so they work well for a much greater percentage of users than BB. Other than the keyboard you haven't said one SPECIFIC thing that it can do that can't be done at least as well in iOS. And no, it isn't that I haven't figured out how to use it. The software to do what I want to do isnt as good in BB from what I have seen, there just arent the options.

But these are just opinions. The bottom line is that unless they are selling a couple million BB10 devices a month it is a huge failure.
    11-24-13 02:57 PM
    Let me redirect you to the topic. It is about BB10. Not iOS. But now that you mention it, you are missing a major point. BlackBerry 10 has Google Play in the next update. So Android apps are available for BlackBerry.

And I have been looking for a year for an Apple app that would organize your calendar like the BBOS "Add To Calendar" app. The Calendar is easily one of the most important functions of a Smartphone. I was told by people on the Apple forums to copy and paste items onto the Calendar.

Remember takes the Add To Calendar app to several new levels. Click to share anything to Remember, add a reminder and BAM...it's on your calendar. It's also in your Remember folder like a Task app. And many of the new BlackBerry apps are integrated with it...like Evernote, Created Task, Noted...etc etc etc. And future apps will be integrated with it.

What does iOS have? Enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 03:34 PM
    Depends on how you define failure... from a business perspective... absolutely..... flop better describes the launch and sales.... As for the actual phones... well most make the mistake of comparing a first gen OS 7 months old to a mature OS ala Apple 6.1 and Android 4.2... curious how many of the "critics" of the actual phone and OS every tried a first gen Apple or Android Phone... I have.... a truely ugly experience compared to BB10 release.... Was fortunate to be a WP 7 adopter.... ( just a glutton for punishment or just plain stupid..,,, wife would vote stupid )..... another "interesting" experience.... for my perspective BB10 as a first Gen OS ... it is a gem compared to others... in the end it does not matter if BB makes the best phone ever...if the publc thinks ( and they do ) that BB is a failure as a company then that translates to the phiones automatically.....
    11-24-13 03:49 PM
    Let me redirect you to the topic. It is about BB10. Not iOS. But now that you mention it, you are missing a major point. BlackBerry 10 has Google Play in the next update. So Android apps are available for BlackBerry.

And I have been looking for a year for an Apple app that would organize your calendar like the BBOS "Add To Calendar" app. The Calendar is easily one of the most important functions of a Smartphone. I was told by people on the Apple forums to copy and paste items onto the Calendar.

Remember takes the Add To Calendar app to several new levels. Click to share anything to Remember, add a reminder and BAM...it's on your calendar. It's also in your Remember folder like a Task app. And many of the new BlackBerry apps are integrated with it...like Evernote, Created Task, Noted...etc etc etc. And future apps will be integrated with it.

What does iOS have? Enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    10.2 doesnt exist. When it does, that will be a change. Remember isnt the OS, it is an app. A nice app apparently but the things it does might be useful to you, although less to me (although that would be a nice feature - just not enough to make up for all of the liabilities for me). And I have been talking about BB10, and the fact that I don't see anything particularly special about it, and find it limiting in enormous ways, mainly the ability to run software I want, which is one of the main features for a smartphone. But again, these are opinions, and you have yours. But the bottom line is that BB10 sales are not sufficient to prevent huge layoffs and serious questions about the companies long term (even short term really) future.
    11-24-13 03:52 PM
    I agree with you about sales. But I answered your question. And you still have not told me how to put items from your phone...onto your Calendar. If you say copy and paste...then you understand the problem with iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-24-13 04:05 PM
    I agree with you about sales. But I answered your question. And you still have not told me how to put items from your phone...onto your Calendar. If you say copy and paste...then you understand the problem with iOS.

Posted via CB10
    I said that would be a nice feature. It just isnt that important for me though since I dont maintain my own calendar for the most part. So it doesnt make up for the lack of other things. But is that part of BB10.1, or do you have to set it up in Remember?

Edited to add that it seems to have been at least partially fixed in iOS7

http://email.about.com/od/iphonemail...Phone-Mail.htm

I tried this and it seemed to work. I dont really know its strengths and limitations. Thanks for pointing this functionality out. As I said, I wouldnt use it a lot but it could come in handy occasionally. I would still be interested in how to do it on a Q10.
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 11-24-13 at 05:10 PM.
    11-24-13 04:57 PM
    Appreciate the link. That's not exactly what I am talking about though. I will just use my example, although I know everyone is different.

I get a ton of text messages, emails, etc that require me to take action later. I also create my own task... or to do list.

The way BB10 is set up, you can use apps, like say "Checked" to create an item, and it will populate Remember and the Calendar. You can also be in a text message, tap it, tap share and add a reminder, and it will show on your calendar and remember. You can choose which folder in Remember to share it to.

The new 10.2 also includes smart sharing (?).You hit share and whatever you share to most, the OS learns your preferences and puts them in order.

Same thing with photos and websites...a lot like Evernote, but it populates the calendar.

The Calender integration did not happen until the 10.2 update, which is still working it's way through carriers.

Remember as a stand alone task manager is OK, but unless you really use your calendar, I'm sure there are better options. But it has the basic task functions of adding photos, voice notes, etc. But developers are now integrating apps with Remember, so you can add more functions by using specialized apps and really get the most out of the OS. Hope that helps. Like I said...if you don't use the calendar a lot, Remember isn't going to help you as much.

I am a big supporter of education at all levels and I do appreciate what you do.
    I said that would be a nice feature. It just isnt that important for me though since I dont maintain my own calendar for the most part. So it doesnt make up for the lack of other things. But is that part of BB10.1, or do you have to set it up in Remember?

Edited to add that it seems to have been at least partially fixed in iOS7

http://email.about.com/od/iphonemail...Phone-Mail.htm

I tried this and it seemed to work. I dont really know its strengths and limitations. Thanks for pointing this functionality out. As I said, I wouldnt use it a lot but it could come in handy occasionally. I would still be interested in how to do it on a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 05:44 PM
145 ... 456