1. brunolovesbrit's Avatar
    So, my mom forgot her 9900 in the kitchen and when we woke up all the food was gone... turn out the 9900 got munchies and this is the result:

    My mom's 9900's battery got fat-img_20140923_145119.jpg

    Posted via CB10

    PS: I tried looking for the 9900 section fo of the forum but couldn't find any.
    09-23-14 08:54 AM
  2. xombi's Avatar
    I've seen old batteries blow like that sometimes, but man that one is the worse I've seen.

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 08:57 AM
  3. anon(5906760)'s Avatar
    I've seen it happen to all devices. Obviously don't use it anymore lol

    It's funny when it happens to iphones because they're so tightly knit inside the device that when they expand, the phone looks like it exploded lol

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 08:57 AM
  4. mad_mdx's Avatar
    Dispose of it asap, dangerous to keep that around it could explode

    Posted via CB10
    Clanked likes this.
    09-23-14 09:57 AM
  5. The Me's Avatar
    Yup, could explode at any time. Get rid of it.

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 10:08 AM
  6. Telvin Mason's Avatar
    Wow!!! Throw That Away!!!! Right Now ASAP!!!!

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 02:41 PM
  7. brunolovesbrit's Avatar
    I wanted to throw it in the containers for faulty batteries but I can't find any in my area :/

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 03:12 PM
  8. gg bb's Avatar
    It's unlikely to explode but could leak nasty chemicals and fumes - double/triple bag it then box it and take it to the phone store you got phone from for a replacement and safe disposal.
    09-23-14 03:17 PM
  9. TheB123's Avatar
    If I had this thing in pakistan, id just throw it on the street and let the wild cats deal with it.

    Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    09-23-14 03:27 PM
  10. bugs_bunny's Avatar
    Throw n say "fire in the hole!!!"
    :v

    Z10 STL-1 os10.3.0.1154
    09-23-14 03:35 PM
  11. bbmtna's Avatar
    I've never seen this happen, what's the cause of this?

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 04:47 PM
  12. gg bb's Avatar
    Probably left on charge in the kitchen permanently.
    Battery always warm. After a couple of years some internal insulation gives, chemical reaction.
    The battery casing should hold for a while.
    09-23-14 05:05 PM
  13. bbmtna's Avatar
    Probably left on charge in the kitchen permanently.
    Battery always warm. After a couple of years some internal insulation gives, chemical reaction.
    The battery casing should hold for a while.
    So based on this, I could technically be causing damage to my playbook at home.
    I leave it on the rapid charger as it's a media hub for my non smart tv.
    Doing so has the potential to lead to this?

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 05:09 PM
  14. AnimalPak200's Avatar
    If I had this thing in pakistan, id just throw it on the street and let the wild cats deal with it.

    Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    Lol... I'm sure this happens in North America too.....

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 05:13 PM
  15. bbmtna's Avatar
    Lol... I'm sure this happens in North America too.....

    Posted via CB10
    I think that you're missing the first part.

    He had mention the words IF and some feral cats

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 05:15 PM
  16. ssbtech's Avatar
    Another reason to insist on removable batteries - they don't ruin a $600 phone when they fail and puff up.

    OP: Was that the original battery or was it purchased later?
    09-23-14 09:00 PM
  17. brunolovesbrit's Avatar
    Probably left on charge in the kitchen permanently.
    Battery always warm. After a couple of years some internal insulation gives, chemical reaction.
    The battery casing should hold for a while.
    It didn't happen overnight of course. This 9900 is 3 years old and so is the battery... I think it's normal for batteries to f*ck up after sometime, it happened on my MacBook too.

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 09:23 PM
  18. brunolovesbrit's Avatar
    Another reason to insist on removable batteries - they don't ruin a $600 phone when they fail and puff up.

    OP: Was that the original battery or was it purchased later?
    Original battery, the one that came with the phone.

    Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 09:23 PM
  19. Dave Bourque's Avatar
    Another reason to insist on removable batteries - they don't ruin a $600 phone when they fail and puff up.

    OP: Was that the original battery or was it purchased later?
    Integrated batteries tend to be more stable. So less likely to fail in the first place.

    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-24-14 01:48 AM
  20. ssbtech's Avatar
    Integrated batteries tend to be more stable. So less likely to fail in the first place.
    How do you reckon that?

    My Z10's battery is starting to hold less of a charge than it did a year and a half ago. I can swap out the battery for $50 or whatever it is. If I had a Z30, I'd be buying a new phone. A non-perishable device shouldn't be rendered perishable because the battery isn't removable
    09-24-14 03:05 AM
  21. bhrgvr's Avatar
    How do you reckon that?

    My Z10's battery is starting to hold less of a charge than it did a year and a half ago. I can swap out the battery for $50 or whatever it is. If I had a Z30, I'd be buying a new phone. A non-perishable device shouldn't be rendered perishable because the battery isn't removable
    I am sure the battery is replaceable too, just like in other phones where the battery is not removable.

    Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:39 AM
  22. bhrgvr's Avatar
    Integrated batteries tend to be more stable. So less likely to fail in the first place.

    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    This is the first time I am hearing... any article that you can share?

    Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    09-24-14 03:46 AM
  23. ajgillis04's Avatar
    I stumbled across this thread this morning looking to see if I was the only one with this problem. I had a 9900 in a drawer powered off since Oct 2013 (1 year ago) at which point it was 1 year old. This is the original battery.My mom's 9900's battery got fat-2014-10-28-11.32.11.jpg
    10-28-14 12:00 PM
  24. Thesmartmale's Avatar
    If I had this thing in pakistan, id just throw it on the street and let the wild cats deal with it.

    Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    If I was a wild cat in Pakistan I would take the battery off the street and leave it on your doorstep with a little surprise next to it..lol

    Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    10-28-14 01:12 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Google Music with All Access working on my Q10 with 10.3
    By pgp1964 in forum BB10 Leaked/Beta OS
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-08-15, 05:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-15, 04:27 AM
  3. BlackBerry Bold 9900 (Tmobile)
    By tdovey in forum Buy, Sell, Trade - Sold / Archived
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-14, 09:10 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-14, 05:33 PM
  5. My Q10 Conversion | Silver Bezel/ Warning
    By shriscean in forum BlackBerry Q10
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-14, 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD