Despite being a complete Android evangelist (to the point of starting and running AndroidGenus for nearly 2 years) I decided to spend some time with a Z10 in order to balance my reviews on my website. After all, how can I lambaste the competition if I don't truly know how they work?

Unfortunately, I did not count on getting very, very enthusiastic about the Z10 when it was sent to me. After all, on the face of it is hardly the most attractive device? But functionally it seemed to strike a chord. The UI was slick and professional, offering an almost tangible quality to the swipes and gestures. And then that face detection feature on the camera knocked my socks off. The only problem I saw was that to was priced far too high. Then I spoke to someone in Phones4U to find there was literally no push from the chain to sell Z10s which was a shame. I returned my review unit but had a new respect for BB10.

Fast forward a couple of months and I have had enough of my current phone, and have reached a point in my life where I need a device to work for me. Less about toys and more about tools, and I keep thinking the Z30 might offer what I am after. Might. But all this talk of buyouts and whatnot has me thinking about whether this is the right choice.

Then there is my underdog moral compass. I like rooting for the little guy, and now Blackberry is a little guy, fighting off the behemoth of Apple and Android Samsung. Let's leave Windows out of it - my stand in Lumia 620 is nothing more than a slick feature phone that is perfect for pensioners and not much else. Not even the occular delights of the Lumia 1020 could convince me to help line Ballmer's pockets.

So really I am in a quandary. But I suppose that the purpose of this post is just to say, from an outsider's perspective, there is a lot to admire about the BB10 platform. BB needs to just bite the bullet and get Z10s in the hands of everyone which basically means a price cut (which I think is what is going to happen) because, being honest, they should be able to fight off any mid-tier handset from Samsung with ease.

My gut feeling is that Blackberry are far from doomed, and I am so sure of it I am willing to jump platforms and put my money where my mouth is.
    09-24-13 09:17 AM
    As much as um really passed at the management right now and having realised that I will be making a huge loss on my shares. I kinda still can't get myself away from the platform... I definitely will be getting a z30!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 09:27 AM
    As much as um really passed at the management right now and having realised that I will be making a huge loss on my shares. I kinda still can't get myself away from the platform... I definitely will be getting a z30!!!

Posted via CB10
    Could that be because BlackBerry as a platform is not only viable but also very high performance (apps apart), and BlackBerry as a company is not doing well?

Let's face it, BB10 is a great OS! BlackBerry "the company" could use a kick in the nuts and a back to business school.

Despite being a complete Android evangelist (to the point of starting and running AndroidGenus for nearly 2 years) I decided to spend some time with a Z10 in order to balance my reviews on my website. After all, how can I lambaste the competition if I don't truly know how they work?

Totally agree! I've been playing with Android and iOS devices from friends on every chance (I even got to a place where I can point people towards a platform based on what they tell me they wanna do). We can't talk about what we don't know!

Unfortunately, I did not count on getting very, very enthusiastic about the Z10 when it was sent to me. After all, on the face of it is hardly the most attractive device? But functionally it seemed to strike a chord. The UI was slick and professional, offering an almost tangible quality to the swipes and gestures. And then that face detection feature on the camera knocked my socks off. The only problem I saw was that to was priced far too high. Then I spoke to someone in Phones4U to find there was literally no push from the chain to sell Z10s which was a shame. I returned my review unit but had a new respect for BB10.

You... make too much sense. Forums people don't like sense. The media will hate you if you make sense! lol

Fast forward a couple of months and I have had enough of my current phone, and have reached a point in my life where I need a device to work for me. Less about toys and more about tools, and I keep thinking the Z30 might offer what I am after. Might. But all this talk of buyouts and whatnot has me thinking about whether this is the right choice.

BlackBerry going private: What does it all mean now that it

That should help clarify.

So really I am in a quandary. But I suppose that the purpose of this post is just to say, from an outsider's perspective, there is a lot to admire about the BB10 platform. BB needs to just bite the bullet and get Z10s in the hands of everyone which basically means a price cut (which I think is what is going to happen) because, being honest, they should be able to fight off any mid-tier handset from Samsung with ease.

The Android user said it. Not us! Wait. That's happened before. ^^

My gut feeling is that Blackberry are far from doomed, and I am so sure of it I am willing to jump platforms and put my money where my mouth is.
    OP, it's always refreshing to see the competition not bashing us! In all Talk Mobile/Round Robin spirit, I thank thee!
    09-24-13 09:30 AM
    Z30 looks awesome!!!! Im definitely getting one for sure.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 09:43 AM

Welcome to the CrackBerry forums and thanks for your 'outsiders' input. If all of the platforms spent a little more time taking an honest (and unbiased) look at the competition and less time just randomly bashing them they would all be in better positions than they are right now.
    John Meredith likes this.
    09-24-13 10:50 AM
    Really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing this, glad you enjoy BB10, and I hope you enjoy your Z30 even more when you get it!

Posted via CB10
    John Meredith likes this.
    09-24-13 12:28 PM
    The thing is, (and this is purely selfish) I love destroying the hell out of people with iPhones. I stand on my soapbox and literally have a verbal punch up because very rarely does someone have a conducive argument for being locked into the Apple brand other than they are automatons with no rational thought.The rationale for their purchases are usually very illogical but I always find I need to come form an informed standpoint. How else am I supposed to win? ;-)

I thought this of BB to a certain extent but my Android affliction has also shown that too much freedom is a bad thing (see the mountain of terrible cut price Droids for proof). And also, it is very easy to get dissolusioned with the Samsung = Android debate which is largly the result of theft and casts doubt on the OEMs such as HTC and Sony that tinhk outside of the box (e.g. Sony Xperia Tablet S - best fondleslab ever!).

So I have spent time with the Z10 and a Lumia to see things form the other side. While there a pros to WinFo, the platform as a whole does not seem very smart (for a smart phone) they seem destined to replace dumbphones and not much else. The BB10 platform on the other hand is trying to do something clever and different.

Having said all of that...someone needs to do something about the awful paint job on the red Q5s. They looked terribly cheap and I had to swallow my pride when my wife wanted one and admit it was not the best choice I have made on her behalf. I rectified it with a sealed 9900 for �175 off Amazon. Wife = Happy and why? She wanted a keyboard. How novel... ;-)
    diegonei, teafordgang and febo2175 like this.
    09-24-13 12:51 PM
    Excellent post Sir! Should you decide to go BlackBerry, we would, I'm sure, greet thee with enthusiastic welcome. Btw, Z30 on 10.2 is worlds better than the Z10 on 10.1. I had a play recently.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    09-24-13 12:54 PM
    A man of words is very welcome here. I don't know how you could stand to use an iPhone long enough to learn it (what, about 10 minutes?). But if you want to use logic on an iPhone user you are wasting time.

While I can understand why the tech guys I work with all use Android, I can't stand the idea of making it easier for Google to harvest my private life.
    09-24-13 01:29 PM
    Finally a real thread .
    Welcome to the dark side.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    09-24-13 01:31 PM
    While I can understand why the tech guys I work with all use Android, I can't stand the idea of making it easier for Google to harvest my private life.
    We differ on that part then - I don't give a hoot about Google - my "habits" are currency for decent services is how I look at it and am happy to pay. I am slightly concerned that my Google Music subscription will need to be cancelled if I do jump ship however... but I understand Go Music does a good job.
    09-24-13 02:46 PM
    We differ on that part then - I don't give a hoot about Google - my "habits" are currency for decent services is how I look at it and am happy to pay...
    If I could trust Google to use the information to satisfy their voyeur fetish and make money by targeting ads I could reluctantly live with that. The trouble is they are mining the data for the state which can lead to a total loss of liberty.
    09-24-13 03:53 PM
    Great post and I agree. The z30 with 10.2 is better than z10 with 10.1. Makes sense I suppose and while I love my z10 I will be tracking down a z30!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 05:33 PM
    I came from years of Android. And I'm going to trade in my Z10 for a Z30. This is an amazing OS with swaths of functionality. I wouldn't trade my fluid, slick, and functional OS for more apps or games. Couldn't be bribed to.

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    jrohland and Mack Gans like this.
    09-24-13 05:40 PM
    My personal believe is that all platforms are good and do almost the same things but there is a fit for every person, some will and some wont like one platform or another, at the end all of them get you through your needs, my big question is, how do you get people to try out BB10 to let some of them find out that is a better fit than the one they are on now? I know is hard to turn people from one platform to another, they have invested in apps, accessories, etc., but I believe there will always be more people liking the platform than they are now if they try it.
    WWBlondieDo and John Meredith like this.
    09-24-13 06:07 PM
    Hey OP. Glad to hear your appreciation for BB10, it truly is amazing! Just a suggestion to help us ALL out.... how about posting to a social media site or 2... #ichooseblackberry10 or there's more to this #blackberry #BB10 than I thought! or why is everyone ragging on #blackberry, this #z10 is friggin sweet!! Please feel free to use any variation of the above!! LOL!
    Thanks for posting!

#KeepMoving.... FAST!
    09-24-13 07:39 PM

A great read. Glad that there are people actually trying the platform and seeing it for what it is. It is so upsetting seeing a great platform take so many hits from people who haven't even tried it. It just kills the thing undeservedly. They just don't know what they are missing.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 09:20 PM
    I currently own a Z10 and a Galaxy Nexus. I would happy to replace my Z10 with the Z30 and keep my Nexus.

My Nexus is there solely for Games and apps that the Zx cannot run on the runtime =))

Z10 | Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1725 | Globe PH
    09-24-13 09:25 PM
    Could that be because BlackBerry as a platform is not only viable but also very high performance (apps apart), and BlackBerry as a company is not doing well?

Let's face it, BB10 is a great OS! BlackBerry "the company" could use a kick in the nuts and a back to business school.
    Exactly what I want to say! Just did so subtly

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:29 PM