Scenario: I work at an ambulance dispatch center, phones MUST be silenced on the floor.

I arrived at work this morning and before walking in I pulled out my phone and pulled down the quick settings menu to silence my phone, the ringer icon was white and without thinking I pressed it thinking it would silence my phone and I walked in. Shortly after walking in I receive a call, full volume, everyone staring at me. Frantically try to silence my phone which is in a tight pocket on my work pants unfortunately, and I cannot get it out quickly nor can I simply reach into my pocket and touch any part of the screen to quickly silence it.

Issue 1: with 10.3.1 they have changed the quick setting menu in that any change to ringer status no longer highlights the ringer icon blue like EVERY other setting. So when I saw it was white it was actually already on vibrate and I had unknowingly turned the volume back to full. Why did this need to change?!

Issue 2: I had a bag in each hand, a long jacket on, and my phone in a deep pocket, such is my uniform. I could not get my phone out quickly and since I can no longer tap the screen to silence I had to fumble for what seemed like minutes on end while my blaring ringer distracted the roughly eight 911 call takers in the room. I read some of the "issues" people were having with the phone silencing in pocket.. can't speak to why they had those issues, but the feature itself of being able to silence anywhere was brilliant and removing it was an asinine decision. Not just in this instance but in any instance where you need to quickly silence a call you can no longer do it with a simple quick tap in your pocket. I really wish they hadn't removed this feature...

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:26 PM
    My ringer icon has never been blue on any version - and if it's on anything other than normal you will see a bell with a cross over it but you still need to look at which setting it is on.
    02-24-15 03:31 PM
    There is a silence icon on top to the circular slider to silence the incoming call. I'm used to the slider too so the new 10.3.1 threw me off a bit.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-24-15 03:38 PM
    I sympathise with the OP but when ever I update my phone I always do a few basic tests, like ringing the phone ,sending an email to the phone, just to make sure it's working, I mean I wouldn't go to sleep like the other guy without testing the alarm clock, for example.

To mute the ring, you can press either up or down volume rocker or press the silence icon on the call screen,
    We are spoiled for choice really.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:40 PM
    I think the OP might be confusing the blue icon on WiFi and blue tooth with the notifications icon. They are on/off, whereas the notifications icon toggles through however many choices you have checked off.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 05:12 PM