Hello,

I just discovered that my carrier is blocking BB services on EDGE. EDGE works, I can browse the web, whatsapp, even use BBM on android, but I can't connect to BB Services on my BB and BBM doesn't work over EDGE.

It works fine over wifi.

Is there any way I can bypass this silly block? (Silly because they're fine with BBM on Android but not on BB10)

Thank you.
    02-25-14 03:21 AM
    It might not be a block.
    Can you access them when you're on a full HSPA signal(3G)?
    Or LTE
    Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    02-25-14 03:25 AM
    Similar problem here can't access BBM on 3G
    02-25-14 05:11 AM
    Maybe you need the old fashioned BlackBerry plan from the carrier

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:25 AM
    They only have EDGE as max speed.

They don't have any BB plans. Just a basic standard EDGE/GPRS plans.

That's it.

Anyway I can bypass this block?

My current option is to carry a portable wifi device that runs on another sim card from the same provider. I just want to minimize all the devices I carry.

Thanks
    02-25-14 06:11 AM
    They only have EDGE as max speed.

They don't have any BB plans. Just a basic standard EDGE/GPRS plans.

That's it.

Anyway I can bypass this block?

My current option is to carry a portable wifi device that runs on another sim card from the same provider. I just want to minimize all the devices I carry.

Thanks
    My services are not always available on EDGE but they work fine on HSPA.
    And no there's no way to unblock it because it's not blocked. Contact your carrier because there's a 90% chance you're on the wrong plan.
    Here's what I suggest doing before contacting them. Look for an older android device, put the sim card you have in your BlackBerry in that android device, turn on data services on the android device, and try using BBM/whatsapp/Facebook... etc.
    If it works then there's something wrong with the device setting or with your carrier, and if it doesn't then you have a wrong plan, therefore contact your carrier.

Last edited by omar ayman; 02-25-14 at 10:51 AM.
    sinnar likes this.
    02-25-14 08:42 AM
    jericho, I have a similar issue with my 3g service from Olleh in S.Korea. The only workaround that I have found is to use a VPN over your data network. when i connect to the VPN, even to an IP in seoul, I have access to BB services. I have talked to reps with blackberry and Olleh (little to no help) and the only thing I have found is the VPN solution. It does degrade the speed a little, but as far as I can see, it is the only option.
    02-27-14 04:10 AM
    Here's what I suggest doing before contacting them. Look for an older android device, put the sim card you have in your BlackBerry in that android device, turn on data services on the android device, and try using BBM/whatsapp/Facebook... etc.
    If it works then there's something wrong with the device setting or with your carrier, and if it doesn't then you have a wrong plan, therefore contact your carrier.

I think that is an excellent troubleshooting suggestion.

Looking forward to the result of this test for jericho 2550
    02-27-14 05:43 AM
    Carriers are still trying to make money.
    There are still some carriers blocking BlackBerry service on BB10 Devices. One of them is the Moroccan IAM. I called the customer service and they told me that I have to pay for the service around 20? per month to BlackBerry Messenger messaging to work.
    The strange thing is BBM voice / video calls works fine, only messaging is blocked on 2G, 3G including HSPA.
    And the data service is available for all oder Apps like WhatsApp, browsing.....

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:18 AM
    My services are not always available on EDGE but they work fine on HSPA.
    And no there's no way to unblock it because it's not blocked. Contact your carrier because there's a 90% chance you're on the wrong plan.

Sorry for the delay Omar! I thought this thread died without any help.

I have done as you suggested:

1. I put my sim card into my android phone and ran BBM. It works perfect over EDGE.

Then took it further

2. I left the sim card in the android phone, and enabled hot spot wifi, accessed the hot spot using my BlackBerry. BBM worked fine on the BlackBerry.

This is really weird.

Edit: to add. Web browsing, whatsapp, email, all of it works fine on my BlackBerry over my carriers data plan. Only BBM doesn't work. And the BlackBerry logo on the top right doesn't show when I'm on data, only on wifi.
    Last edited by jericho 2550; 03-16-14 at 04:00 PM.
    03-16-14 02:31 PM
    As per some other discussions I've seen on this lately, oftentimes it is just a matter of how a particular SIM is provisioned - it may just be a matter of getting a replacement SIM from your carrier that will fix this.
    03-16-14 09:57 PM
    As per some other discussions I've seen on this lately, oftentimes it is just a matter of how a particular SIM is provisioned - it may just be a matter of getting a replacement SIM from your carrier that will fix this.
    Thank you.

I'll go ahead and get a sim card from another carrier and give it a shot.

Will get back with results.
    03-17-14 12:52 AM
    Thank you.

Try to go to "settings > about > network" then open the menu and hit "register now"
    Does the BlackBerry symbol appear?

Also check that "settings > mobile network > apn" matches your carrier apn
    03-17-14 01:15 AM
    Try to go to "settings > about > network" then open the menu and hit "register now"
    Does the BlackBerry symbol appear?

Also check that "settings > mobile network > apn" matches your carrier apn
    When I do so. it says "Registeration Requested" then "Registered for Blackberry Services" but still no BB symbol appears.

APN settings matches the carrier's, all data works, just no BBM.

Thank you
    03-17-14 02:04 AM
    you should see the BlackBerry symbol on the top right corner of your device...
    i use a Z10 with BIS + Data... i know, i don't need BIS with the Z10. but it's cheaper than normal Data and i'm on bbm all day and hardly use 500 MB from my 1 GB data... i've 3G and can do voice and video over bbm even when i'm not connected to wifi.
    so it all depends on your carrier... call them up and tell them the problem you are having... i'm sure they will sort things out.
    03-17-14 03:28 AM
    Thank you.

Just got a sim card from another carrier.

I input the correct APN settings. Internet works, Whatsapp, email, etc.

BBM does not work. No BlackBerry logo on top.

This is clear that BlackBerry is blocked on a higher level than the carriers.

I might just give up at this point.
    03-18-14 12:32 PM
    Just got a sim card from another carrier.

I input the correct APN settings. Internet works, Whatsapp, email, etc.

BBM does not work. No BlackBerry logo on top.

This is clear that BlackBerry is blocked on a higher level than the carriers.

I might just give up at this point.
    Try creating a support ticket and include a link to this thread.
    Create a support ticket here: https://global.blackberry.com/secure...ml?d=BB10&o=10
    jericho 2550 likes this.
    03-18-14 01:49 PM
    Sorry for the delay Omar! I thought this thread died without any help.

I have done as you suggested:

1. I put my sim card into my android phone and ran BBM. It works perfect over EDGE.

Then took it further

2. I left the sim card in the android phone, and enabled hot spot wifi, accessed the hot spot using my BlackBerry. BBM worked fine on the BlackBerry.

This is really weird.

Edit: to add. Web browsing, whatsapp, email, all of it works fine on my BlackBerry over my carriers data plan. Only BBM doesn't work. And the BlackBerry logo on the top right doesn't show when I'm on data, only on wifi.
    Android BBM likely doesn't use BB Services. Android working as a WiFi hotspot would access BB Services for WiFi on your BB Phone.
    03-18-14 03:52 PM
    Same issue with UCell in Uzbekistan. All they are doing is not resolving any IP of *.blackberry.com
    04-14-14 07:44 PM
    Had same problem way back. It was determined by BlackBerry engineers it was the APN setting. It was grayed out and not able to edit it. Had to wipe phone and reinstall OS. All worked perfectly afterwards.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:51 PM
    Guys with bb10 you don't need BlackBerry services like on the legacy devices. Bb10 works like a normal phone.

One my tmo I have the BlackBerry logo, hit on my Vodafone I don't have it but it works just fine.

It's a carrier side problem.
    Check your apn settings and call the helpdesk. They can see why you have no data, it's probably hanging somewhere on the carrier side.
    But don't let them fool you you need BlackBerry services /data plan for bb10!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:20 AM