If all I used my device for was communication, the Classic I have sitting here would be my go to device hands down. I would toss both of my Android phones on Craigslist along with my iPhone. That simply is not the case. The more I use the Classic, the less it works for me. I have had all kinds of syncing issues with iCloud for contacts and calendar management that both Android and the iPhone have handled flawlessly. My bank has a wonderful app that works on both Android and iOS but is nowhere to be found on BB. The Android version kept locking my Classic up. I use Strava to track my cycling miles, etc. and there is nothing available. I can only imagine how the Android version would run on here. The same goes for an app I use constantly at work, Lexicomp (medical field). This would hardly load on the BB via Play Store. The lag was horrendous and made it just short of unusable. On my other devices it works flawlessly.

I get a bit jealous when I hear about how great BB10 is for some of the users, like the OP. Wishing that it was the same for me, but there is so much lacking that I find myself on my iPhone much more than my BB.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-22-17 08:25 PM
    OK, you have my interest. I spent considerable time a few months ago trying to get the Uber app to work on my Z30, but gave up when Uber kept changing their app and breaking it for me. Now I either use the web interface, or switch to the iPhone I've been playing with. What's your secret?

Actually, I've had the same experience with Waze. Conite says the latest version from PlayStore works for him, but I can't get either it or the Amazon version to work reliably for me. I've resorted to using the Windows phone I'm playing with for my commutes and just leaving it in the car.

And by the way, the critique that apps are only for social media is getting tiresome. I don't use Facebook, Whatsapp, etc, but I have to resort to the iPhone or my Android tablet for some f IoT applications that don't cooperate well with BB10. (Luckily, some do work, as does my bank app.)

Anyway, enough beating dead horses--my real question is how you got Uber and Lyft to work with BB10.
    As a matter of fact Uber and Lyft have worked for quite some time on BB10. However now it got better. As for Uber I had not been able to update, because newer versions would not run. As for Lyft, when needing to input the destination it would only allow to choose from a previously recorded list. Now I am running the latest versions of both with no limitation. How? Well, you may want to follow Cobalt's thread for that matter. Many are performing the new patching method with success. What I can assure you is, in spite of some lag when loading, both apps work flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 08:34 PM
    I just don't see it. I held out with my Classic as long as possible, but it's just missing too many apps that make life easier, for me personally. I'm not talking about games either because I don't use them. For me, PRIV is ideal because I get access to all I need, even if the keyboard and OS are a step down, it's a fair sacrifice.
    01-22-17 08:54 PM
    BB10 is no. 1 for me. It is the best Os!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 12:49 AM
    I'm perfectly happy with my Passport and expect it to remain my primary device for at least another year. I don't use a lot of the apps that are lamented about, but as native apps continue to drop off, I'll need alternatives.

I've donated to Cobalt and used his tools on my Z10 before. I plan to work with these more.

I recognize the reality. Eventually the BB10 hardware will become obsolete.
    01-23-17 01:27 AM
    We have to understand that for the regular folks that just want to hit the "install" button and use an app, BB10 is done. No point in trying to convince those users that BB10 is still recommended.

In the other hand, some of us we don't have a problem using Cobalt's solution, and doing some workarounds to make things useable.

Peace.
    01-23-17 07:29 AM
    We have to understand that for the regular folks that just want to hit the "install" button and use an app, BB10 is done. No point in trying to convince those users that BB10 is still recommended.

In the other hand, some of us we don't have a problem using Cobalt's solution, and doing some workarounds to make things useable.

Peace.
    I understand what you're saying, and I certainly sideloaded my share of apps. But it's just not the same experience, in my opinion. I'm a huge sports fan, and can now get real-time alerts when anything happens with my teams. This was never previously possible and saves me the time of having to look.
    01-23-17 07:58 AM
    Since they haven't closed this thread down yet I will share a perspective on BB10 vs Android.

There was discussion on another thread that relates to this threads topic on the built in functionality of BB10. There was a question as to why it's even a problem to take 5 minute in the Google Play Store to download an app to do said job on Android.
    I would like to point out for every function or modification you want to implement on android that BB10 inherently has you will continue to build a list of apps that will continuously access your resources and suck your battery down. There is much discussion in many forums and threads on how Android poorly manages the system resources and RAM. This is the reason you are seeing more Android phones pushing 4,6,8 gigs of RAM to compensate but that only goes so far when the OS can't manage it well.

There is much to be appreciated in the way BB10 is designed with all the built in functionality. If only it was still being developed further it would be the BEST OS out there. Due to lack of development we slowly wither away.
    I plan on withering with it though but hopefully not, there is always hope....

Rebellions are built on hope! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-23-17 at 08:34 AM.
    Tim-ANC and Praganad like this.
    01-23-17 08:24 AM
    There was discussion on another thread that relates to this threads topic on the built in functionality of BB10. There was a question as to why it's even a problem to take 5 minute in the Google Play Store to download an app to do said job on Android.
    I would like to point out for every function or modification you want to implement on android that BB10 inherently has you will continue to build a list of apps that will continuously access your resources and suck your battery down.
    That is one way to look at it. Although I disagree with your claim regarding memory management, as Android does it very well.

The other way to look at this is that Android provides the opportunity to add functionality to best match your needs and workflow. Instead of a "lowest common denominator" approach like BB10, you can obtain far more powerful apps instead.
    01-23-17 08:41 AM
    I understand what you're saying, and I certainly sideloaded my share of apps. But it's just not the same experience, in my opinion. I'm a huge sports fan, and can now get real-time alerts when anything happens with my teams. This was never previously possible and saves me the time of having to look.
    I'm with you on this. It started with news/sports apps for me, but it has gone much further for me and now includes a whole bunch of apps for work and personal use.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 08:44 AM
    Since they haven't closed this thread down yet I will share a perspective on BB10 vs Android.

I would like to point out for every function or modification you want to implement on android that BB10 inherently has you will continue to build a list of apps that will continuously access your resources and suck your battery down. There is much discussion in many forums and threads on how Android poorly manages the system resources and RAM. This is the reason you are seeing more Android phones pushing 4,6,8 gigs of RAM to compensate but that only goes so far when the OS can't manage it well.

There is much to be appreciated in the way BB10 is designed with all the built in functionality. If only it was still being developed further it would be the BEST OS out there. Due to lack of development we slowly wither away.
    I plan on withering with it though but hopefully not, there is always hope....

Rebellions are built on hope! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Android has everything out of the box as well, some manufacturers and/carriers remove some and replace with their own, or in some cases users prefer to use something else. As far as memory management Android is actually quite good at it, the increased capacity is merely a selling point. Android runs quite comfortably on 3GB.

My BB10 devices greater than ever in 2017-screenshot_2017-01-23-08-51-25.jpg
    01-23-17 08:52 AM
    That is one way to look at it. Although I disagree with your claim regarding memory management, as Android does it very well.

The other way to look at this is that Android provides the opportunity to add functionality to best match your needs and workflow. Instead of a "lowest common denominator" approach like BB10, you can obtain far more powerful apps instead.
    I was thinking the same when reading @the_passporter post, the option of a basic OS, to which you have to add the apps and tools you need sounds great. Although, I will be ok with that if said apps and tools were provided by the OS builder (google in this case), but the fact that you have to look in an overcrowded appstore, in which in many cases you will end up installing apps developed by "who knows who", without being fully sure of the level of confidence you can put on that app, it certainly doesn't sounds that great anymore.
    01-23-17 09:05 AM
    I was thinking the same when reading @the_passporter post, the option of a basic OS, to which you have to add the apps and tools you need sounds great. Although, I will be ok with that if said apps and tools were provided by the OS builder (google in this case), but the fact that you have to look in an overcrowded appstore, in which in many cases you will end up installing apps developed by "who knows who", without being fully sure of the level of confidence you can put on that app, it certainly doesn't sounds that great anymore.
    Then check reviews with reputable sources like Android Central.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    01-23-17 09:23 AM
    All apps by Google. Tap "More" for the complete list.
    01-23-17 09:33 AM
    aren't we here in a BB10 thread ?
    looks like it's hijacked by GooBerry's again....
    This is about why BB10 is great in 2017, not about moving to Droid... again!

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    01-23-17 09:58 AM
    aren't we here in a BB10 thread ?
    looks like it's hijacked by GooBerry's again....
    This is about why BB10 is great in 2017, not about moving to Droid... again!

It's open to everyone, plus the subject includes Android. Not to mention nearly every thread in here involves Android
    01-23-17 10:49 AM
    It's open to everyone, plus the subject includes Android. Not to mention nearly every thread in here involves Android
    yep I can see that which is the downfall for CB anyway.

01-23-17 10:57 AM
    yep I can see that which is the downfall for CB anyway.

its not a downfall at all. People can have great discussions about both OS without the arguing. All it takes is some open mindness and realize that we all have different opinions and backgrounds and experiences. Maybe keep that in mind
    The_Passporter and Praganad like this.
    01-23-17 11:14 AM
    Thank you for this thread! Agreed! :^)

Contrary to what many may have predicted a while ago BB10 just gets greater and greater.

Now both Uber and Lyft work at a 100%. No features missing at all, which is great. Two WhatsApp accounts allow me to have one 'public' and one private in the same device (only until June 30th/1017). BBM working without relying on data with T-Mobile, with even the ability to share files. Google Maps working smoothly. Still colosal battery life. Got new apps playing relaxing sounds and a new anti-theft security addition that works great. With the slim port and Miracast I stream videos from YouTube, Netflix and other media related applications. Sound is routed to bluetooth connected devices without the need of additional apps. Music folder works great. Apps such as Spotify or Shazam work perfect. Speakers in the Passport are incredible, and the mono in Leap is fairly good. I can't believe how well this devices manage battery consumption from audio playing.

I miss not being able to pay with the phone, which I can do with the Priv that I carry most of the time, but the ability to beam an tether ANY device pushed over that missing feature. Every place where I pay with Android Pay has free wifi and my Priv connects automatically. Also only one app tracking gps locations not working, but I can l can tether my second device the very few times I need to use it.

Loving my BB10 devices, and I don't see BB10 dying any time soon, just the opposite, I feel a renaissance is soon to come.

Keep rocking BB10. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 11:30 AM
    you couldn't make it to the restroom could you. Blatant attempt at bringing negativity to anything about BB10.

My explanation is that when I discovered BlackBerry (and that goes for both BB10 and OS7, as OS7 is the BEST thing anywhere for a phone/communication device, not to mention music player/streamer) I didn't want to look for anything else. Ever. In fact I rarely browse with anything more than a BlackBerry anymore, computer is just not needed.

And Still No Antivirus. Bwah hahahah.
    Mostly (99999999.9% of the time) NO FORCED UPDATES THAT WRECK EVERYTHING
    No mysterious data-guzzling. EVER.
    No buggy programs running in the background, hijacking what I am doing, installing themselves uninvited and reinstalling themselves after I delete them or refusing to let me delete them at all.
    No need for app after app to help me just make my phone 'behave.'
    No hour after hour after hour spent looking for apps running in the background that need to be force-stopped with another app because they cannot be force stopped on their own, and EVEN WITH THAT they immediately restart themselves right afterwards most of the time BECAUSE YOUR PHONE DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU. You are simply being allowed to use it, if it us not too busy doing something else.

Have to restart your phone? Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Repeat It All.

Or, end the nightmare.

In other words, if you would rather be the boss and the owner of your phone, rather than your phone owning you, get a BlackBerry. A Real BlackBerry.

You will want to express your opinion even after being told you don't have to explain why in a BlackBerry forum about BlackBerry phones. You might guess I have had about enought of that too.

But I do have to add typing on a slab phone sucks when you're used to a real keyboard, as I'm using the Leap today. It's nice for browsing, and the beloved Blackberrys are selling so cheaply it's a sin to have only one. Have one for your every mood, every purpose, a spare in case one is having a bad day and needs to be turned off. (I have never had one stop working on me, but I have lost FM on one from an update.)

These are just a few of the reasons for wanting a phone that does what you want it to without having its own separate hidden agenda of things that IT wants to do.

I have heard that 'they' are not that bad anymore. I not only don't care, I don't believe it.
    How was Conite negative. You need to do a little more research. Conite is one of the most helpful people on the site finding solutions for BB10.
    01-23-17 11:42 AM
    its not a downfall at all. People can have great discussions about both OS without the arguing. All it takes is some open mindness and realize that we all have different opinions and backgrounds and experiences. Maybe keep that in mind
    Arguing is a good thing when done with respect and in good faith.

My BB10 devices greater than ever in 2017-argumentpyramid.jpg
    01-23-17 12:05 PM
    How was Conite negative. You need to do a little more research. Conite is one of the most helpful people on the site finding solutions for BB10.
    Although the DTEK60 is my daily driver now, I'm still a big fan of BB10 and continue to use a number of BB10 devices.

I do try to correct misinformation regarding BlackBerry Android when I see a post that is clearly wrong or misleading at best. Somehow this is regarded by some as anti-BB10.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-23-17 12:10 PM
    are you sure about that ? ... LoL

01-23-17 12:11 PM
    well I didn't meant to steer up some more crap here,
    Clearly a positive statement was interpreted as something negative.

I was first in to comment that people should enjoy what works for them without fear of ever having to justify their preference to anyone else.
    01-23-17 01:11 PM
    HAHAHA...This thread Though!..And now back to our scheduled programming!!!

01-23-17 01:12 PM
51 123