There was a time using BlackBerry pagers and earliest smart phones when good messaging, emailing was enough. We've moved past that. I'm tired of reading posts to the effect of "any apps not native to bb10 are just for fun, not business productivity"

I'm still on my trusty z10. Since day one. But I use a lot of Android-only apps to increase my productivity. As soon as Verizon releases the Priv I'm grabbing it...

So here is my list of Android apps that I run on my Z10 and make heavy, regular use of (in no particular order):

* Chase bank - personal and business banking including check deposits
    * Capital One - another banking/cc app
    * Register - square credit card pos and invoicing system
    * PayPal - business account
    * PayPal Here - another pos system for swiping credit cards.
    * Mint bills - personal finance
    * Amazon - personal and business purchasing
    * Prime Now - urgent purchases
    * Kayak - travel finder
    * Flights - another travel finder
    * Waze - navigation
    * Uber - who still takes cabs?
    * Google maps - maps, satellite views, navigation (yes I also use BlackBerry maps but there are places it isn't very good)
    * Xfinity TV Go - I'm an xfinity customer, allows me to watch live news and commentary (plus the occasional entertainment show)
    * Skype - need cross platform video link for conferencing (BBM meetings doesn't cut it because there are people who want to call me, but have no need for a BBM subscription.)
    * bVNCpro - VNC connect to private VNC server on multiple supported computers
    * Remote Desktop - windows client to warehouse server in another state.
    * ABI Notes - quick and easy notes and lists
    * Package Tracker Pro - tracks incoming and outgoing packages from all major carriers including post offices
    * WordPress - quick blog updates
    * Instant Heart Rate - I'm 62, I like to check after working out or if I'm feeling very stressed. Keeps annotated log
    * H+H - I'm a pro photographer as well as an IT consultant; this is my lab's app
    * My chart - medical interface to doctor appointments, assessments, test results
    * MyQuest - medical blood lab test results and billing
    * WiFi Analyzer - invaluable when setting up a network in a new location, or debugging probkems
    * Speed test - sanity check when when Internet seems usually slow
    * Geico Mobile - auto insurance card access, billing and payments, policy details
    * Crash Plan - remote access to encrypted desktop and server backups
    * Our Groceries - shared, instantly synchronized store shopping lists...great!
    * LinkedIn - business networking. BlackBerry version hardly works.
    * Instagram - following my 6 kids and 10 grandkids!
    * eBay - BlackBerry version is already an android port, outdated
    * Amazon Kindle - my library of mainly technical books. Continuing education.

That's 33. I use about a dozen more that are not of general interest but are valuable to me... I would much rather that the developers create native BB10 versions of these, but that will never happen.

Do I use the hub? All the time! It's great, and I will miss it, as I don't expect the Android version to ever achieve the integration and flexibility of bb10. I have five active email accounts, visual voice mail, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, BBM, notifications...

But the listed 33 Android apps greatly increase my productivity. Yes, they run on BB10, but very poorly... sluggish at best.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hbelkin; 01-04-16 at 02:08 AM.
    Mikey_NNG likes this.
    01-03-16 10:05 PM
    To be honest after reading this post, and the one on defending BB10, I have to wonder why you aren't using an Android phone. Maybe you need to articulate, at least to yourself, why you have a BB10 phone, weight the pros and cons then make a decision and be happy with it. That's what I have done. Life is a series of compromises. No one really likes to compromise, but with however many phone systems you believe are viable (two, four, five) in the world today, verses the number of users (a billion) someone has to compromise.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-04-16 05:48 AM
    My point is not to say how wonderful Android is. Is isn't. I much prefer BB10 to anything out there. My point is just to show why BlackBerry is making the decision they are -- because lots of apps that do increase productivity have not and will not be ported to BB10. Simple and correct marketing decision, sad as at may be.

I could have moved to Android ages ago, but the BlackBerry Hub saves me so much time! So I stayed with the Z10. Although the hub on the Priv likely will never be as good as on BB10, it should improve so as to still be a great time-saver. So my reason #1 is the hub.

Reason #2 is security. I suspect that BlackBerry is working hard to greatly improve security in their Android based devices, because if they cannot they will lose the support of many governments and law enforcement agencies, etc. I believe that the Priv already has better security than other Android phones... anyone rooted it yet?

Reason #3 is the physical keyboard. Although I've gotten pretty good at vkb, for lengthy typing nothing beats a pkb. I have some reservations about the Priv keyboard as my testing found the top row needed about 2mm more space above it. But still... time will tell, but I like having the choice!

Reason #4 is the capacitive keyboard. The ability to scroll without obscuring the screen is great! (so are keyboard shortcuts)

Reason #5 is my sense of loyalty to BlackBerry as a company. I've been a BlackBerry user since their first pagers. I also happen to be a Canadian :-)

Reason #6 is my belief that BlackBerry will continue to bring more of the great features of BB10 to this platform. What they have now is a great first attempt. It will never be as integrated with the OS, but I think they have room to make lots of improvements.

Not to forget reason #7: the iconic BlackBerry LED. I don't know if others have copied this, but it's been a tried and true lifesaver. Somehow manages to catch your eye even during a meeting or conference, with the phone on silent. And with the ability to change color for specific users/apps etc.... amazing tool.

I'd like to see some new innovative features that are tied in to the BlackBerry chip level codes, so those features/apps will only run on a BlackBerry device. As Android users play with (steal?) BlackBerry apps like the hub, they will start to crave more of the legendary BlackBerry innovation. If they can lock some new features to their physical devices, we could see a big resurgence of BlackBerry phones. And if BlackBerry can keep a high level of build quality as well as innovation, I think the BlackBerry name will once again become a status symbol.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-04-16 10:52 AM
    An Android device from BlackBerry seems like a good fit for you.
    But security is supposedly better on a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow than it is on the Priv with Lollilop (at least that's what many reviewers commented when talking about security claims on the Priv).

On this week's podcast here, they spoke about how the Priv opens up BlackBerry users to consider other Android devices that aren't made by BlackBerry.

No way that someone that depends on that many Android apps has any business using BB10. Not an optimal solution since the Android run-time is outdated.

Those of us who don't depend on the Android apps and function great with BB10 seem to be a dying breed lol

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 01-04-16 at 11:27 AM.
    01-04-16 11:12 AM

Those of us who don't depend on the Android apps and function great with BB10 seem to be a dying breed lol
    Exactly right. That sums up the situation that has been discussed in so many threads. There will always be a cohort of people who decide they don't need more apps than what they can get in BBW, and who don't mind deteriorating performance in the Android apps they do use, but there's no reason to expect that cohort to do anything other than what it has been doing all along: shrinking.

I'm a hardcore Kindle user. As the Android app gets updated with new features, such as shared bookshelf and audio narration upgrade for certain titles, its performance on my Passport gets worse. It sometimes takes several minutes for the app to open at all. I'm putting up with it, but at some point (soon) I won't.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-04-16 11:51 AM
    But the listed 33 Android apps greatly increase my productivity. Yes, they run on BB10, but very poorly... sluggish at best.
    Imagine how much more productive you would be if you didn't have to maintain those Android apps running on BB10 or have them intermittently stop working without Google Play or the latest version of Android. It also sounds like being productive means anything you are doing on a smartphone.
    01-04-16 12:08 PM
    Exactly right. That sums up the situation that has been discussed in so many threads. There will always be a cohort of people who decide they don't need more apps than what they can get in BBW, and who don't mind deteriorating performance in the Android apps they do use, but there's no reason to expect that cohort to do anything other than what it has been doing all along: shrinking.

I'm a hardcore Kindle user. As the Android app gets updated with new features, such as shared bookshelf and audio narration upgrade for certain titles, its performance on my Passport gets worse. It sometimes takes several minutes for the app to open at all. I'm putting up with it, but at some point (soon) I won't.
    Agreed.
    Darn shrinkage!

I would just switch to Android if I valued that Kindle app. You'll just be missing features with their updates, specially since their Bellini OS is now running on Lollipop.

Off-topic: my PaperWhite actually saw more screen time than my phone during these holidays. I think it's the first time that's happened to me in ages lol.

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    01-04-16 12:14 PM
    I think you should balance the productivity you get from BB10 vs the productivity you would get from all the apps you really need. Also, you could also consider the Priv. Android offers great customization support and you could teoretically customize the device to better suit your needs.
    01-04-16 01:01 PM
    I think you should balance the productivity you get from BB10 vs the productivity you would get from all the apps you really need. Also, you could also consider the Priv. Android offers great customization support and you could teoretically customize the device to better suit your needs.
    As I stated in the OP, I'm getting the Priv the moment Verizon releases it!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 01:29 PM
    Imagine how much more productive you would be if you didn't have to maintain those Android apps running on BB10 or have them intermittently stop working without Google Play or the latest version of Android. It also sounds like being productive means anything you are doing on a smartphone.
    I do almost EVERYTHING on my phone! I barely touch a PC these days unless I'm working on my professional photography. As an aside, that's why I found Blend to be a bit humorous -- a way to move what we successfully transitioned to, back to the desktop. OK, I know a lot of people are always in front of their desktop... :-)

Bring productive means getting things done as quickly and painlessly as possible. To me that means doing many things on the go, no matter where I am. I've landed numerous jobs simply because I've been able to pull together information and send a quote within minutes.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 01:57 PM
    Stole some of these.. Particularly the heart rate and the package tracker... thanks for the listing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    01-04-16 02:13 PM
    Stole some of these.. Particularly the heart rate and the package tracker... thanks for the listing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    That's not stealing, it's sharing! Having tested MANY apps, I've found these to be among the best in their classes. This is of course just the Android apps. Perhaps I should somewhere list some of favorite picks of BB10 apps? :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 03:44 PM