I have an issue that really nags at me. I was wondering if there was any way to correct it via PC or on the BlackBerry.

I have many albums with bonus tracks. Some rest I ripped from my collection of CDs or as they were on iTunes ....

I notice when I move them on to my BlackBerry they get cataloged into a new album. So, I see the album twice. Once with the songs and second another same album but with one bonus track (s). This is really annoying as some albums have a few bonus tracks.

Any way to stave off this duplication?

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    04-06-15 01:03 AM
    Only way I can think of is to load that music to your PC, use an app called ID3 tagger and change the album name on the bonus track to the same name as the rest of the album. Then it should stay in the same album folder on your phone.

Or leave the music on your phone and use an app called ID3IOT. forgot where I downloaded it from tho....snap or amazon?
    04-06-15 08:12 AM
    I have an issue that really nags at me. I was wondering if there was any way to correct it via PC or on the BlackBerry.

I have many albums with bonus tracks. Some rest I ripped from my collection of CDs or as they were on iTunes ....

I notice when I move them on to my BlackBerry they get cataloged into a new album. So, I see the album twice. Once with the songs and second another same album but with one bonus track (s). This is really annoying as some albums have a few bonus tracks.

Any way to stave off this duplication?

Do you have 2 copies of the files with different album tags, or extra space in the data.
    04-06-15 09:38 AM
    My opinion is: you will never get it right with these tags. Tags in the files will always be in disorder by a ripping software from somebody who did it and who didn't understand or misinterpreted the terms "interpret" and "composer" or "album" and "symphony". And even if you
    really do all the ripping yourself you get different tags from time to time.

Playing files tag based will always lead to problems. My experience is: use a player which works file and folder based. Get your files in order and give them proper names. Then play these files instead of albums or genres.
    Pcmx likes this.
    04-06-15 10:39 AM
    My opinion is: you will never get it right with these tags. Tags in the files will always be in disorder by a ripping software from somebody who did it and who didn't understand or misinterpreted the terms "interpret" and "composer" or "album" and "symphony". And even if you
    really do all the ripping yourself you get different tags from time to time.

Playing files tag based will always lead to problems. My experience is: use a player which works file and folder based. Get your files in order and give them proper names. Then play these files instead of albums or genres.
    Tag works. As a user you have to make sure they are correct and edit those that are wrong. It is wrong because the data in it is wrong, either due to confusion or ignorance, eg. artist name, composer, performer, album artist.

Properly done there is no reason why it should not work.
    04-06-15 11:54 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. You've all given me something to consider. I'll report back.

Odd thing is my son has the same albums on his iPhone and they don't get separated. They stay in one album as should be.

04-06-15 06:53 PM
    As indicated above tags work very well. Took me a while to clean up 8000 tracks but it can be done. I used WinAMP on a PC which shows all of a files metadata. Pitfalls to watch out for are blank spaces at the end of a field and special characters; just edit those out and you are good to go.
    04-06-15 11:21 PM
    Tag works. As a user you have to make sure they are correct and edit those that are wrong.
    Sure, but disorder will always be the case! Normally a ripping software gets it's tags from CDDB or something like this. There are hundreds of people editing these informations. You get a really nice spectrum of crap this way, not at all consistent database records. And if it fits in your case it doesn't mean at all that it fits for everyone. In the so called Classics (classical, symphonic composers) it's just unusable. The "interpret" (one part of the "primary key") can be a singer, an orchestra, a conductor, a publisher, but what I surely want to have is the one and only composer (even if he doesn't interpret his work). Problem #1 with these tags is just that they are not standardized in any way, not even in the language. Problem #2 is you need a 3rd party software (normally beside the music player) to edit these tags. And this editing is really an effort and noone guarantees you make it right. So I haven't seen a proper edited tag based music archive until now, not a single one.
    04-07-15 01:34 AM
    I don't use externals like CDDB. I create my own tags or edit them to my requirements and they had served be well all these years. Hardly an issue for the players/phones I'd been using.
    04-07-15 03:31 AM
    I've downloaded a couple of these tagging programs but beats me how to use them. Everything looks OK when I input the album tracks. I guess I'll have to live with this quirk.

04-07-15 08:26 PM
    Found issue that was putting the bonus tracks on another album. It would take the regular tracks as 1/12, 2/12 etc but would then tag the bonus tracks as 1 of 2..... so all I did was change the numbering to make the album track listing read 14 tracks and then made the bonus tracks 13/14 and 14/14. Now they show up in one album as the CD has it.

kbz1960 and BionicKris like this.
    04-08-15 05:05 PM
    Glad you got it sorted out. I use ID3IOT all the time to clean up my music labeling and album art.

 Living the life, posting via BB Z30 
    04-08-15 11:30 PM