Hello friends.
    I've just returned to BlackBerry after a two year absence after having tried both iPhone and the rather odious android platform.

I've just returned to BB10 now. Best decision I'll have made all year!

That said, I'm having a problem when it comes to moving emails (when filing them away) from one account's inbox or in the Hub to a folder/subfolder in another email account. Basically as I've had to switch mail clients and phones over the years the simplest solution has been to file all email messages from whatever account into the extensive list of folders I've created on my gmail account.

On the Android phone I was able to download a mail program (MailDroid) that let me make such transfers but I can't yet figure out how to do this on BB10.

At the moment I'm having to sit at my laptop to do it via my client on there across different severs but I wanted to ask/know if there's a way that this can be done on my Q10, please.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, dear friends!
    02-20-14 12:43 AM
    That said, I'm having a problem when it comes to moving emails (when filing them away) from one account's inbox or in the Hub to a folder/subfolder in another email account. Basically as I've had to switch mail clients and phones over the years the simplest solution has been to file all email messages from whatever account into the extensive list of folders I've created on my gmail account.

On the Android phone I was able to download a mail program (MailDroid) that let me make such transfers but I can't yet figure out how to do this on BB10.

At the moment I'm having to sit at my laptop to do it via my client on there across different severs but I wanted to ask/know if there's a way that this can be done on my Q10, please.

In general, when you are using a "syncing" email protocol, the email client will not provide this sort of functionality because the client does not download copies of messages locally as might be the case with POP3 protocol. And in general BB10 does not have a mechanism to store messages locally anyway. (ie in preparation to "move" them to other accounts...)

On the other hand, you aren't really "moving to another account folder", you would actually have to forward those messages. And BB10's native email client can certainly forward messages. Perhaps MailDroid calls it "moving to another folder" when in reality it is actually forwarding those messages.

In any case, if you want to run MailDroid you can actually install it on a BB10 device.

Android apps run on BlackBerry 10 OS either via being ported/repackaged and made available through BlackBerry World, or can now be installed directly via certain tools or app stores.

Specifically, K9Mail has been made available through BlackBerry World, and I have directly installed both AquaMail and MailDroid. (Though MailDroid seems to have some dicey privacy issues)

However I don't know how they would handle a square screen like a Q10's screen - I do not know of any square-screened Android devices, so they might not handle that gracefully.
    02-20-14 01:37 AM
    Hey Omnitech;

Thank you kindly for your reply. As you can tell I'm a little technologically illiterate - hence I appreciated the clarity with which you explained this all to me.

I just have one further question, if I may, please? Given that it's most likely that programmes like MailDroid are basically forwarding those messages on to their designated folders, I wonder if one can do the same with the BB10 client?

As in, rather than forwarding an email from the inbox of one account to the inbox of another before then manually storing it away, is there a way to forward the message I want to file away directly to the designated folder I want it in?

Alas I tried downloading the APK file (or whatever it's called - goodness I should just wear a hat that says 'Luddite' on it henceforth) and installing (was it with BlackBerry 10.2 update) for MailDroid and when I tried to add my various email accounts on to there, it kept unexpectedly quitting and has since refused to cooperate.

That said I'd be much happier just sticking to doing things through the BlackBerry Hub as I much prefer it to any other applications, if it is possible!

Hope you're having an awesome week and thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:25 AM
    Hello friends.
    I've just returned to BlackBerry after a two year absence after having tried both iPhone and the rather odious android platform.

I've just returned to BB10 now. Best decision I'll have made all year!

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, dear friends!
    May I suggest that, instead of having a number of accounts on device, you set the other accounts to automatically forward all messages to your Gmail account? You can then file them easily as required. Most email accounts allow for auto forwarding.

I too have accumulated a number of accounts over the years, and this is how I have dealt with them.
    02-20-14 09:53 AM
    May I suggest that, instead of having a number of accounts on device, you set the other accounts to automatically forward all messages to your Gmail account? You can then file them easily as required. Most email accounts allow for auto forwarding.

I too have accumulated a number of accounts over the years, and this is how I have dealt with them.

Either that, or use the feature that Gmail provides where you can have it directly retrieve messages from external accounts by giving it account credentials on the other system and it will periodically poll those servers like a regular client and download them into your Gmail account.

Outlook.com has this feature as well.

But in the long run, better to start pushing people to use your new email address and centralize things, because managing all those accounts ends up being a mess anyway.
    02-20-14 02:16 PM
    I just have one further question, if I may, please? Given that it's most likely that programmes like MailDroid are basically forwarding those messages on to their designated folders, I wonder if one can do the same with the BB10 client?

As in, rather than forwarding an email from the inbox of one account to the inbox of another before then manually storing it away, is there a way to forward the message I want to file away directly to the designated folder I want it in?

Native email clients on handheld devices don't usually have fancy features like that, but that can be accomplished on the server side with rules.

I believe Gmail has some sort of rule capability, this might be applicable to the scenario I described in my last followup to Elessar.cm, about using their built-in "external mail retrieval" function.

Alas I tried downloading the APK file (or whatever it's called - goodness I should just wear a hat that says 'Luddite' on it henceforth) and installing (was it with BlackBerry 10.2 update) for MailDroid and when I tried to add my various email accounts on to there, it kept unexpectedly quitting and has since refused to cooperate.

That may be because you were not on the latest BB10 OS release, which improves the compatibility with and stability of Android apps.

Though given what I've seen of MailDroid and its aggressive advertising and dicey privacy aspects (among other things their terms of service state that when you answer 'surveys' - which they foist on users of the free product to use features, that they will share your answers with unnamed 3rd parties), I'd be inclined to go for AquaMail personally, if you were going to go in the Android direction.
    02-20-14 02:21 PM