What about privacy? No one seems troubled by the lack of it. You have no local backup option so you are giving microsoft everything on your phone. You can not use office for editing documents unless you are logged in, you can only read docs not create new ones. The price for lumias is very attractive and I have to say that the 950XL is quite tempting. I also do not trust microsoft regarding their long term policy. I mean win mobile might disappear overnight or might change completely. I really wish someone will give me compelling arguments to prove me wrong but until now it did not happen. As for apps I have one example: mega app just received an update on my win 8 test phone, when did it received an update on bb10? Personally I like apps but what I am interested in is a phone that has a good suite baked in, jut like my passport or any other bb10 device.
    I have read an article stating that the creator update runs better especially on low end devices, will see about that.
    03-23-17 04:09 AM
    A couple things to add:
    Evernote is worse. Crashes adding a picture often. That's pretty bad.
    Not having the picture password stinks. A 4 digit code? Weak.

And on the positive side, Wordament! That game is awesome!

I still like it, but it s no bb10. Seems a bit odd that even given ms' resources it doesn't feel any more mature than bb10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    OneNote is better than EverNote.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 05:21 AM
    OneNote is better than EverNote.

Posted via CB10
    I do quite like OneNote, but I have a pile of docs on evernote already so I use both.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-25-17 10:41 AM
    What about privacy? No one seems troubled by the lack of it. You have no local backup option so you are giving microsoft everything on your phone. You can not use office for editing documents unless you are logged in, you can only read docs not create new ones. The price for lumias is very attractive and I have to say that the 950XL is quite tempting. I also do not trust microsoft regarding their long term policy. I mean win mobile might disappear overnight or might change completely. I really wish someone will give me compelling arguments to prove me wrong but until now it did not happen. As for apps I have one example: mega app just received an update on my win 8 test phone, when did it received an update on bb10? Personally I like apps but what I am interested in is a phone that has a good suite baked in, jut like my passport or any other bb10 device.
    I have read an article stating that the creator update runs better especially on low end devices, will see about that.
    I agree with you about privacy and the lack of local back up. Unfortunately, that's basically becoming impossible to get these days. What platform besides bb10 (which isn't really a long term option) has a true local backup solution or offers decent privacy? Nobody seems to care that some big company has all of their data. It's sad.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-25-17 12:24 PM
    I agree with you about privacy and the lack of local back up. Unfortunately, that's basically becoming impossible to get these days. What platform besides bb10 (which isn't really a long term option) has a true local backup solution or offers decent privacy? Nobody seems to care that some big company has all of their data. It's sad.

Posted via CB10
    The only solution to this might be government regulation. We can't have a situation where the only way to use modern computing is to allow corporations to know the intimate details of your life.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 07:13 PM
    I'd love a blackberry with physical keyboard running windows 10. With the ARM emulation that might even happen? IDK. Windows on a tablet is vastly more powerful than iOS or Android. I can run adobe products, or music composition products or full desktop games, that would not be possible on either of the alternatives.

I used an android tablet for 2 years. The app gap is still an issue, but the windows store is filling up fast. Porting an iOS app is so easy, and with desktop windows everywhere, in a year or two, the app gap will be gone.

But for a phone, that physical keyboard. Wanna blaze out mah emails and texts. Touch keyboard can never compare.

IDK if current windows 10 mobile runs win32 apps btw, but it will soon. When it does any third party backup software will do the trick.

Privacy issues are overrated for windows 10. Its primarily for advertising and the assistant. You can turn all that off, and the creators update gives even more options for privacy control.

Its the CIA who are spying on you.
    03-27-17 02:30 AM
    There will be no government regulation. There are too much money involved.
    To Drael: Please read carefully the license agreement and the rest of Microsoft agreements and you will find, much to your amazement, that Microsoft can, and will, use any information from your phone (or PC if you are running windows 10) and use it as it sees fit. You CAN NOT stop the information collection and it is beside the point because you can not perform a phone backup on your PC, you can only do it using Microsoft's cloud. This means that Microsoft does not need to take anything from your phone because you will hand everything to to it when you perform a backup or a OS update.
    About phones running win32 apps keep on dreaming. Phones might, and I emphasize might, run apps from Windows store for PC which are completely different from win32 apps. Microsoft has a pretty long history of broken promises in regard to windows phone so until I actually see something happening I would not hold my breath.
    03-27-17 07:22 AM
    Yes, you can. There are a host of was you can control the info collection under windows 10 and they expand with creators editors. An update, from Microsoft, where Microsoft increases your privacy control settings (having listened to the paranoid rumblings of the likes of you)

And the CIA is already collecting your data, and they do actually give a crap. They actually use it for more than pushing targeted ads. They inject malware into your machine and track every online movement. Five eyes was revealed years ago. With the new WikiLeaks, its very clear there is a clear and present danger to your security much higher than any corporation. Being worried about Microsoft using data for Cortana or targeted ads, in the face of what the American government, globally, is doing is ridiculous. Especially when as I say, you can turn up your privacy settings, and there are more options coming for that in the next update (which people in the insiders program have actually used)

Microsoft demo'd the ARM emulation running win32 last year. Its scheduled for release this year. They have much bigger plans for it than just windows phone - tablets, laptops all running cheap low power consumption ARM. Microsoft has made no guarantees regarding phones, although I suspect they will keep the updates rolling as they wish to return the the phone game proper when the windows store is competitive (which will happen in a year or two)

These are just the facts I think. Your welcome to look into all this yourself.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 03-27-17 at 07:41 PM.
    03-27-17 07:30 PM
    I have second title for this thread: "Switch from dead to unborn platform?"

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 09:42 PM
    "My voyage on the Titanic got canceled for some reason, anyone have experience crossing the Atlantic on the Hindenburg?"
    03-28-17 09:51 PM
    Yeah its pretty early to be getting into mobile pc.

The windows store is growing like mad, but its not quite there. And win32 apps are certainly powerful, but the arm emulation isn't out yet. I'm a huge windows fan, and if I was buying a phone it, would be at least a year from now, possible two.

In that time more than likely Samsung and a whole host of others will have mobile pcs, given that it'll simply be a matter of writing drivers for existing phones, heck even blackberry might have one. (Windows ARM emulation will be like Android, anyone can do it, all you gotta do is write drivers - so when it comes out, after the more important wave of netbook and chromebook crushing laptops and tablets, I expect there will be tonnes of premium style mobile pcs, just as there are tonnes of windows tablets even though it only makes up 5% of sales volume). And of course china will be flooded with dual boots with both android and windows.

But buying one now, you'd have to be pretty keen. Mind you they are still updating the software. And creators update comes with some nice mobile centric UI changes. More I expect to come in the future.
    Still I would definitely be waiting until after the demo'd ARM emulation is released. Snapdragon should have some tasty offerings over the next few years too, and they worked on this with Microsoft.

Microsoft has done a beautiful job of leveraging their desktop dominance into app store ports and development, and their manufacturing into influencing the tablet market. They have a pretty solid long term play, if you look at all their upcoming plans and developments.

In particular "conversational operating system" is a clever idea. They are creating a chat bot platform in skype, its still new, but its designed to eventually intergrate with Cortana. But MS has been inspired since the new CEO took over.

If blackberry (or whomever they are working with now) does release a high quality physical keyboard phone with Windows arm emulation, I might have to find a grandma to sell. Windows the BB Hub and those delicious all day long keys would be a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 03-29-17 at 06:56 AM.
    03-29-17 06:39 AM

If blackberry (or whomever they are working with now) does release a high quality physical keyboard phone with Windows arm emulation, I might have to find a grandma to sell. Windows the BB Hub and those delicious all day long keys would be a beautiful thing.
    That would be a fantastic idea! If something like the KeyOne actually appeared running W10 that would be a killer platform.
    04-11-17 06:58 AM
    Have you been part of the builds? Have you followed the latest universal apps coming to the platform? It won't matter whether you are using a PC, a laptop, or a mobile device in the future. All will bring the same experience. They haven't left mobile, they are creating a universal OS for all devices.

Now whether it will succeed or not, we don't know yet.
    This is one of the reasons I'm considering Windows. Also, I like Win10 and we just investing in a Surface tablet, which has been so successful we are probably getting 5 more.
    04-11-17 07:44 AM
    I've looked pretty hard into how to jury-rig a win10 tablet as a mobile phone, using cell data and VOIP, specifically Skype for Business, which would allow me to use a single phone number everywhere with no need for call forwarding.

The problem is that any calling solution would have to include a hands free option with voice control. That would allow a user to wear a wireless headset while carrying the tablet in a backpack or leaving it on the passengers's seat while driving.

Unfortunately, Cortana doesn't work well as a phone assistant at this time. There is no way to ask Cortana on Win10 32/64 to find a person in your contacts and call them. It IS possible to use call controls on your headset to answer the phone, however, so I'm really not far away from dumping my mobile phone entirely. 1-2 years ought to do it. :-)

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-11-17 03:25 PM
    Yes, I owned lumia 950 and windows 10 is getting better and updates. But bb10 still favourite and main.

Post via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-11-17 08:15 PM
    "My voyage on the Titanic got canceled for some reason, anyone have experience crossing the Atlantic on the Hindenburg?"
    Your avatar is beside the definition of sardonic in my mental dictionary. Well done.
    04-11-17 08:58 PM
    Your avatar is beside the definition of sardonic in my mental dictionary. Well done.
    04-11-17 09:11 PM
    This is one of the reasons I'm considering Windows. Also, I like Win10 and we just investing in a Surface tablet, which has been so successful we are probably getting 5 more.
    What business are you in?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 09:42 PM
    And, just to be 100% clear, give me a 7-10 inch always on, always connected phablet running Windows 10 Pro with voice commands for a blue tooth headset, and I will never touch another mobile device again.

04-11-17 10:07 PM
    I've looked pretty hard into how to jury-rig a win10 tablet as a mobile phone, using cell data and VOIP, specifically Skype for Business, which would allow me to use a single phone number everywhere with no need for call forwarding.

The problem is that any calling solution would have to include a hands free option with voice control. That would allow a user to wear a wireless headset while carrying the tablet in a backpack or leaving it on the passengers's seat while driving.

Unfortunately, Cortana doesn't work well as a phone assistant at this time. There is no way to ask Cortana on Win10 32/64 to find a person in your contacts and call them. It IS possible to use call controls on your headset to answer the phone, however, so I'm really not far away from dumping my mobile phone entirely. 1-2 years ought to do it. :-)

Cortana seems to have that ability in the new creators update (voice activated phone calls - I tried it, she said "I can only make phone calls on a phone - because I don't have LTE on my desktop). You'd need a device with LTE though, and those are just around the corner.
    For the whole always on thing....maybe that will be more viable with arm, and locked into battery saver AND a very large battery. That's kind of pushing things, battery wise. But with say 10,000 Mah, moderate screen resolution, a power friendly arm SoC, and 3G over 4g....maybe, _maybe_ you'd get enough hours of use.
    Still what you want might not be that far away.
    04-13-17 10:01 PM
    Well, it's been a year....

And I just "upgraded" from a Lumia 650 back to a BlackBerry Q5, at least temporarily.

The Windows browser is better, as is the camera. The Office Suite is a huge plus, but...
    - evernote is an important app for me, and the Windows version stinks. Far, far worse than the BB10 version, crashes when doing basic things, and now it is no longer supported. At least the BB10 one works.
    - Cortana in-car just doesn't work as well as BlackBerry Assistant. I can call and dictate messages, but other things (ie. Asking for the weather forecast) just bring up the browser
    - I use a voice recorder often, and it seems like no app I've tried works behind the lock screen which is annoying.

Ultimately if the KeyOne ever comes to my provider (with wifi calling) then that is the route I will go.

Fun times!

Posted via CB10
    07-21-17 07:35 PM
    Thanks for letting us know.
    I'm staying with Q10 & Passport as longer I can.
    07-22-17 06:41 PM
97 ... 234