After one day of usage and frustration, there are a couple of things one needs to understand.
    If you intend to use the windows phone, let them do all the updates first. That will iron out most of the annoyances.

There are some basic things that annoyed me, like email notifications didn't work before the updates and some fiddling with settings to get it working. Do not expect a hassle free phone....

Then, major disappointment, BBM is NOT AVAILABLE for Windows10 mobile. You will not believe how disappointed I was to find out it was nowhere to be found, in contrary to the information on BlackBerry's own BBM webpage.

So I had to install Skype on my girlfriends Z30 (amazon android version, works okay). And that is basically the only IM client that works on both platforms. She already said she will rather buy a Passport than go to Windows Mobile...

The good things, the UI looks great. I did have a laugh about what people were saying that the 650 felt like a premium device. It does not. A Z30 feels like a premium device. I had to ad some bulk to the 650, so I ordered an Otterbox. Lovely but in fact too expensive for what you get. You might think that one over.

Battery life is not good at all, but I knew that. Always carry a battery pack with you....

It is working now, and I am doing a lot of John Chen's trying to swipe bottom to top.... will post some more after a good few days of use.
    09-28-16 03:19 AM
    After one day of usage and frustration, there are a couple of things one needs to understand.
    If you intend to use the windows phone, let them do all the updates first. That will iron out most of the annoyances.

There are some basic things that annoyed me, like email notifications didn't work before the updates and some fiddling with settings to get it working. Do not expect a hassle free phone....

Then, major disappointment, BBM is NOT AVAILABLE for Windows10 mobile. You will not believe how disappointed I was to find out it was nowhere to be found, in contrary to the information on BlackBerry's own BBM webpage.

So I had to install Skype on my girlfriends Z30 (amazon android version, works okay). And that is basically the only IM client that works on both platforms. She already said she will rather buy a Passport than go to Windows Mobile...

The good things, the UI looks great. I did have a laugh about what people were saying that the 650 felt like a premium device. It does not. A Z30 feels like a premium device. I had to ad some bulk to the 650, so I ordered an Otterbox. Lovely but in fact too expensive for what you get. You might think that one over.

Battery life is not good at all, but I knew that. Always carry a battery pack with you....

It is working now, and I am doing a lot of John Chen's trying to swipe bottom to top.... will post some more after a good few days of use.
    Well, I am using a 650 since 2 weeks, and I have to say I am really satisfied. Yes, updating the apps and then the system was not my best move. I had to do hard reset, since I had your same problems and feelings. I installed first then the AU and then updated the apps. Now everything is working pretty well. Battery is good to me. Just remove the option to use the app in background and the activation of WiFi every hour.... good luck!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 04:15 PM
    As promised for the few readers out there interested in Windows 10 Mobile, an update of my experiences.

Like @elfabio80 I had to reboot the device at the beginning quite some time, I wonder how I could have forgotten that. So yes, pretty please first install the phone updates and then the app updates if possible... Be patient, updating the apps can take a long long time. Or even stall and then you have to reboot... and try again.

But that was the first pain, after all the updates, I must admit, the device surpasses my expectations. Not that the hardware is top notch, because everybody knows by now it is not very powerful.

What made it work is to no longer see the Windows10 mobile as a phone, but as a miniature computer. And then it hits, it feels like so much more than an android or ios device. Since I use Windows 10 on all my regular computers I have gotten quite familiar to the look and feel of a regular PC. At first it is a bit of a busy little phone with all the tiles and stuff. But you can rearrange, put it into "maps". And I noticed, using Android or even our beloved BB10, I used a minimum of three windows to fill everything. Not so much with W10, it all fits in 1 window. The swipe to the left gives you access to all apps. While I did not find this attractive in a regular PC environment, it makes all the sense in a smartphone.
    I do not have a data plan (say what??) Yes, you read that correctly, I only use wifi (at work and at home). Since I travel a lot internationally, data costs will go through the roof. And while I'm on the road I don't need it.
    Speaking of which, the navigation app does offer offline maps for free!
    So I am sorry to tell, I am getting to like Windows phone. It feels fresh, capable, after the updates it feels in fact pretty solid but time will tell.

Also two of my friends are considering a Windows smartphone now, since it looks so much like their trusted PC's.

The good:
    Massive privacy control. You wouldn't expect this from Microsoft but indeed, you can customize a LOT of settings. And you need that, just don't go for the quick setup right in the beginning otherwise you'll be toggling a lot of sliders later on.
    Promising OS. I do believe in this platform now I have used it. Massive potential.
    Good camera for the money. Only in darker environments the quality goes down rapidly.
    Regular updates from microsoft

The bad:
    Hardware not as solid as BlackBerry Z30. Speaker sound thin by comparison
    Reception quality not on the same level as the Z30 or even the Z10, but after switching to 2G compatible with the Z30 with 2G. I do not use data, so I'm good to go.
    Screen not as good, but decent for the money. Tendency to cast a blue-ish haze when tilting the phone.
    Apps, but certainly more than BlackBerry. All but one app I need is available. No worries there though, most of them have a web interface and the Edge browser is snappy enough to handle it.
    No Hub, you do have a notification center but it doesn't even come close.

I do not expect at all, that Microsoft will abandon Windows Mobile. That is, if they maintain the long term vision.

Is it for you? Can't answer that. Apple iOS is expensive but generally pretty good though not much you can customize. Android has some solid offers which performs pretty well in the store (but the three Android devices I got all got really slow in time, not to mention abysmal vendor support for updates). BlackBerry, well, I loved the old hardware and I am sure my girlfriend will buy another one. But I was getting too dependent on the web browser of the Z30 and it was getting too slow to work with comfortably. Don't want to go into the app ecosystem... if you like to make pictures of yourself as a dog (snapchat) move on - Windows10 is not for the younger generation.

For the money, I would say, well worth the try. Sorry for me rambling on
    last_attempt likes this.
    10-03-16 03:18 AM
    I've been on the 950XL for a few weeks, jumping from release OS to fast ring depending what I like, but right now on fast ring.

Again BlackBerry should give choice to people like iOS and Windows, where folks can opt in to be a beta tester.

Anyway, I find it capable, it even has "client for xxxx" Google apps that are getting updated by their devs.

I dislike how I don't get BBM..

Mail wise the "push" of the Gmail imap is amazing fast.

Cheers

Posted via the CrackBerry App on the Q10
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-03-16 03:28 AM
    I have a Nokia 640XL that I use from time to time, and I'm in the Fast Ring for updates. The experience isn't bad at all. In some ways, I prefer it to Android, especially the home screen and live tiles. Since I'm a OneDrive subscriber and outlook.com email user anyway, the integration is nice. The downside is--no surprise--apps. Many of the apps that are present in the store are years behind their Android (and of course iOS) counterparts in features.

The hardware is nothing special, but the camera is very nice, as you'd expect from Nokia. I only paid $125 for this phone on eBay, but the camera is clearly better than the one on my OnePlus One or Passport. Sound quality is good too, though not terribly loud. Microsoft is constantly updating its own apps, which are many, and some of the third-party apps get updates too. But a lot haven't been updated in a year or two.

Things started to malfunction after a recent update (you take your chances in the Fast Ring) so I did a hard reset, which wipes the phone. I was pleased at how well the Restore function worked after the reset. I didn't have to do much but log in and leave the phone alone for a few hours and it was 90% back to the way it was before. This feature worked better, in my opinion, than Google's version of it.

Microsoft has made it clear that they are playing the long game. Their current target is the business user, hence the attention to PIM app updates and performance. Their longer vision is the "paradigm shift", as they've called it, away from smartphones as we currently think of them, to phones as hubs of a personal hardware ecosystem that includes other screens, wearables, and so on. This is their "Continuum" concept. Google is moving in the same direction.

There's some movement in UWP apps, but not enough yet to make the app ecosystem competitive.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-04-16 08:34 AM
    I tried the windows 10 mobile experience with a lumia 650. Not worth it!

It feels that its a beta os with lots of bugs and missing core functions for business use. You cant even search for a calendar event on the calendar app...

If your bb10 device still does the job well stick with it until it gives the Last breath.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 05:12 PM
    I need to state the obvious, but Windows 10 mobile has gotten a LOT of updates.

The last one, the anniversary edition, is a big step forward. Though differences may seem small, they are not and is a big improvement. A friend of mine also bought a Lumia 650, and I saw the differences between the unupdated version and the new one. And as I said, let the phone do it's updates. First go to the store, check on the app updates. Those are a lot, so it will take hours to process. Then, if every app is updated, check for the OS update. It will then go smoothly. I did my phone the other way around and got a bit more issues. So I advise to update the apps first.

So yeah... it really is a miniature PC. Is it worth it? Yes, for the approx. 125 euro it is quite a nice phone.

BTW I never had the urge to search for something in the calendar app, I usually check my phone for the coming events and whenever I have a free timeslot so it is no dealbreaker for me.
    11-14-16 06:01 AM
    If there's a Windows phone with PKB, I'll ditch BlackBerry in a heartbeat and never look back.
    11-14-16 06:32 AM
    The only problem I am facing now with the 650 is the reduction of the battery durability....only after the last week update! It is a pity!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 08:04 AM
    The only problem I am facing now with the 650 is the reduction of the battery durability....only after the last week update! It is a pity!

Posted via CB10
    Have you checked your run in background permissions?
    11-14-16 10:47 AM
    Have you checked your run in background permissions?
    Yes mate, already done!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 10:53 AM
    I did it its pretty good phone but I'm back to bb10 now when I saw passport on sale couldn't reist

Bbm app is pretty old no updates, no call or video feat but it works

I'd say there are more popular apps there than what bbten has somewhat

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 11:02 AM
    Yes mate, already done!

Posted via CB10
    Does the Battery page in Settings offer any hints on what could be draining it? Since you updated recently, the OS could be settling in.

If it persists you should post about it on the WC forums if you haven't already. Worst case scenario you could always just swap out the battery if it's a hardware issue.
    11-14-16 03:14 PM
    I bought Lumia 550 to try windows 10 phone and I must say it is a pleasant surprise. For a brief time I used Android but OS performance degradation over some time and stupid new dialer especially made ne sick. On Lumia I didn't notice any performance degradation after one month of use. Windows 10 is still under development and some things are still not 100% satisfactory but it is way better than Windows 8.1.
    Just bare in mind that many aps have completely different versions for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and they aree much better on Windows 10.

Sent from mTalk
    11-15-16 12:46 AM
    Yes, but they should implement or develop WA for winmobile 10...because it is actually to slow to open!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 05:06 AM
    I watched Mr. Mobile's review of the latest Windows 10 Phone and it was not good. I know that is not the end game coming from BlackBerry I should know that you have to try it to know and not listen to the news or reviews on what's good for you. I do know this though, why go to Windows 10 Phone when we have the best phone and OS (BB10) ever right here. I'm just buying more Passport's if not because I need them but because it makes me happy lol.
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 04:48 AM
    I just picked up a Lumia 650 to try. I accept that it is a stop-gap phone, and that W10 will eventually evolve into something different, perhaps by late next year, but I wanted to try something different. Really, I'm waiting on a new KB phone from BB so I'm going to be dual-wielding it for a bit I think.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-16 07:58 AM
    I've got relative cheap new or refurbished devices from all four OS platforms, and I find BB10 to be the most fluid and usable, closely followed by Windows Phone. I got a Lumia 830 / 650 for the camera and off-line navigation which are both brilliant as well as a contingency for Whatsapp being pulled from BlackBerry phones. Windows phones (and BB10) also have aptX Bluetooth which is great for audio. The UI for Windows phone, except for some navigation quirks is really easy to use and looks great. The live tiles are brilliant and so simple to arrange and configure how you want them.

iOS (a refurbished iPhone 4S) is by far the clunkiest to use and has key missing hardware and software features that matter to me, and Android (a Moto G3) is passable. But if I never need an app I can find them on iOS/Android e.g. for home entertainment device control. Most Android apps I need can be used with by BB10 phones, but they can be a bit fiddly to use on a small screen device like a Q5 or Q10.

So these days I carry around 2 phones - my Q5 and a Windows phone. Between them I am covered for what I need. I'm not too bothered bout either platform going obsolete as I think in a couple of years BlackBerry Android devices or a reinvigorated Windows Mobile platform will be there if I need them.

Posted via CB10
    ice777 likes this.
    12-18-16 08:27 AM
    I used windows phone for about six months, my wife for a year. I like the OS. The app support is better than BB10 in its current state - significantly so - but well short of android/ios. The older generation of nokias are pretty solid devices. The newer Microsoft made lumias have some issues.

If you are leaving bb10 and want an os that will still receive security updates and allows you to manage app permissions it isn't a bad choice.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-18-16 11:08 AM
    Hi,

I've replaced my two BB phones (Z10 and Z30) with Lumia 950 dual sim phone and I don't regret it at all. At first, It had some problems with the OS, but after couple of updates, phone started to work without any problems, it got faster and more reliable. It's great for business (mail, calendar, messaging etc). And camera is just perfect. For me, it feels premium enough although is fully plastic. HD display looks perfect, also. Battery lasts for 2 days with moderate usage (1 day with full usage - hotspot, surfing, music etc) and aparently, battery on single SIM version lasts even longer. Wouldn't exchange it for any other phone.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-18-16 11:29 AM
    So after some time using a Lumia 650 as my cheap entry point into the W10 ecosystem, I thought I could update for anyone considering such a move (and mostly for my own venting).

• Others have said the app situation is about the same as BB10. My experience? It may in fact be worse. Sure, you have WhatsApp and some others, but the work-arounds available for Android apps, however annoying, are not there. Many apps just have not been updated in ages. Some outright don't work.
    • The Edge browser is, much to my surprise, not much better than the BB10 one. Some sites outright don't render correctly, when they do in BB10 (Toyota Canada for example). There are few other options available (Maxthon and UC Browser, which seem pretty much the same). Neither works particularly better than Edge.
    • The Camera app is better than BB10, email is similar, navigation of apps is worse (that list gets long fast), but I personal love the Live Tiles.
    • The keyboard is ok, but no VKB on BB10, that's for sure.
    • Games are better for the most part.

So overall, not an upgrade, and barely a "side-grade". I would say the Z10 is probably just as good, but with better build quality. It's fun to play with, and a big improvement over Windows Phone 8, but in the end I'm going to have to reluctantly move to Android at some point.

It's too bad. I really wanted to love this and it has great potential, but it just feels even less baked than BB10 does.
    03-22-17 01:55 PM
    The thing is. If you are yoused to bb10 nothing is good anymore.. iphone or android are maybe a bit better with watching movies on the Web. But it's nothing for the professionals..

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 02:21 PM
    I got handed a Windows phone (user complained of poor voice quality, same network that I'm using with my BlackBerry's, no such problem for me).
    This is the 2nd time around on Windows and I gave it a real good go, or tried to.
    First, it's half baked. If you've got the very latest Windows 10 update, then maybe all the annoyances are finally solved. That's what everyone says anyways. Otherwise, bugs abound. Lots of 'em. (Like adding more languages and entry methods, suddenly my apps UI got switched from English, even though that is set as primary)

Why move from BB10? Presumably the apps, but I concur, Windows store is at best a "side grade", but that's being generous. I would say app situation is much worse and there isn't the Android option like we have.
    I also hit a lot of apps that "don't work on your phone", so can't even install. I never have that with BB World. Oddly, seems like quite a few apps ask for my location, even though they have no business doing so.

The overall user experience is not as good. As you pointed out, the app list gets real long quite quickly. It's painful to navigate and probably why nobody else uses that scheme (press the "useless" letters in the list to bring up a grid which will let you jump to starting letter of the app list).
    The messaging features...kind of suck. People complained about the original PlayBook, but I think this is barely better.
    The browser as well, did not score as well as BB10 for standards compliance (but to be fair, my Z10 edged out iPhone SE with latest iOS, so maybe that's a hard target for Microsoft :-)

And as for customizations for the basic UI & notifications and such? BB10 pretty much has everyone beat out of the box. Windows is so locked down it's annoying, locked without the slickness and maturity of Apple.

Continuum is overblown. It's sort of a dual-screen thingy which is better than BB10, but on the other hand, all I need for my Z10 is HDMI cable not an extra box. And it really doesn't help because Office is SO weak. I think maybe even less features than Docs to Go.

Microsoft has money to blow & maybe in 2-3 years it might be a viable platform if they keep at it. For now, not an option. My Z10 is WAY better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-22-17 04:47 PM
    A couple things to add:
    Evernote is worse. Crashes adding a picture often. That's pretty bad.
    Not having the picture password stinks. A 4 digit code? Weak.

And on the positive side, Wordament! That game is awesome!

I still like it, but it s no bb10. Seems a bit odd that even given ms' resources it doesn't feel any more mature than bb10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-22-17 09:00 PM
    I picked up a lumia 650 from the Microsoft store for $99 just to give it a try, because I've had android and I don't want to bore myself with ios. If it sucks I'll give up and throw the towel in and go with android.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-23-17 12:43 AM
97 1234