Look on their app store to see if you can have all the apps that you want. If you can, then Windows Mobile is a perfectly fine OS.
    The existence of an app isn't always enough, though. Lots of WP apps are no where close to feature-parity with iOS and Android - some of them are merely wrappers for websites, and others are just missing lots of features and are very basic, or haven't been updated in forever.

What you really need to do is read the reviews of each app you need, and see what others have to say about it. You may find it won't do what you need it to do...
    08-20-16 12:18 PM
    The existence of an app isn't always enough, though. Lots of WP apps are no where close to feature-parity with iOS and Android - some of them are merely wrappers for websites, and others are just missing lots of features and are very basic, or haven't been updated in forever.

What you really need to do is read the reviews of each app you need, and see what others have to say about it. You may find it won't do what you need it to do...
    Extremely good advice...have found this to be very accurate as of late.
    08-20-16 12:20 PM
    Extremely good advice...have found this to be very accurate as of late.
    How is your experience with it so far Mr V? Would you recommend this route?
    08-20-16 12:23 PM
    Don't throw good money after bad. Find a dirt cheap used one. After the thrill of a new OS wears off, you are left with the same issues you have with BlackBerry 10.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    I don't use too many apps on my Passport and I just took a look at the Windows 10 Mobile Appstore, seems like most of the important apps I use are there.
    08-20-16 01:10 PM
    When they bring the surface phone out next year, there will be more momentum with interest and apps. Hopefully some kind of qwerty keyboard/ cover like the larger surface tablets too

Cortana is excellent. Much better than google and siri in my opinion so far.

Web browser is horrible
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-20-16 01:13 PM
    When they bring the surface phone out next year, there will be more momentum with interest and apps. Hopefully some kind of qwerty keyboard/ cover like the larger surface tablets too

Web browser is horrible
    Nah, that's what they said about Windows Phone 8.1. That's what they said about Windows 10 Mobile.

After some time, you just don't expect any changes to occur.

Posted via CB10
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-20-16 01:40 PM
    Nah, that's what they said about Windows Phone 8.1. That's what they said about Windows 10 Mobile.

After some time, you just don't expect any changes to occur.

Posted via CB10
    You would think BlackBerry people would be conditioned to that already
    TgeekB, MikeX74 and dmlis like this.
    08-20-16 01:56 PM
    I picked up a Lumia 640xl for about $125, which I've been using on and odd for about six months.

On the plus side, Microsoft is continually updating their own apps, and the OS itself. If you want the latest builds it's easy to get into their beta program.

And some UWA apps are showing up. Pokemon Go has committed to the platform, I've heard, but isn't there yet. WhatsApp gets regular updates. The UI is fairly appealing, to me anyway. The camera is good and OneDrive integration is seamless, add you'd expect.

The minus side is, as everyone has said, apps. More are needed, and many badly need updating. Oddly, Audible gets regular updates but Kindle is years out of date, compared to Android and iOS.

I don't think it's correct to say that Microsoft has given up on mobile. Their strategy is w10 trickle-down. They're all-in with w10 and are counting on those apps to breathe life into mobile. I don't know if it'll work but it has the advantage of actually being a strategy.
    TgeekB, john_v and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-20-16 02:02 PM
    You would think BlackBerry people would be conditioned to that already
    Exactly, and Blackberry people certainly don't want to see any other company be successful.

Windows is still developing their platform, which will work across devices. The Surface devices weren't popular at first, but now are doing much better.
    john_v likes this.
    08-20-16 02:02 PM
    I picked up a Lumia 640xl for about $125, which I've been using on and odd for about six months.

On the plus side, Microsoft is continually updating their own apps, and the OS itself. If you want the latest builds it's easy to get into their beta program.

And some UWA apps are showing up. Pokemon Go has committed to the platform, I've heard, but isn't there yet. WhatsApp gets regular updates. The UI is fairly appealing, to me anyway. The camera is good and OneDrive integration is seamless, add you'd expect.

The minus side is, as everyone has said, apps. More are needed, and many badly need updating. Oddly, Audible gets regular updates but Kindle is years out of date, compared to Android and iOS.

I don't think it's correct to say that Microsoft has given up on mobile. Their strategy is w10 trickle-down. They're all-in with w10 and are counting on those apps to breathe life into mobile. I don't know if it'll work but it has the advantage of actually being a strategy.
    The nice advantage of the Insider program is we get a bit of a say in development. What other platform gives you that?
    ubizmo and john_v like this.
    08-20-16 02:05 PM
    The nice advantage of the Insider program is we get a bit of a say in development. What other platform gives you that?
    True. The OS is constantly asking me for feedback, and every time I do a restart it asks me if there was a problem and, if so, what!
    john_v likes this.
    08-20-16 02:08 PM

Web browser is horrible
    I concur with both of those statements. I love how Cortana interacts with my Bluetooth headset and syncs notifications between my laptop and phone.
    Mobile Edge does leave a lot to be desired.

How is your experience with it so far Mr V? Would you recommend this route?
    Andy,
    To answer your first question, I'm kind of enjoying it. Maybe it's the "rebel" or "outsider" in me but having a non-mainstream device kind of rocks (all you BB users know what I'm talking about). It's nice being out of Google's ecosystem, I've moved everything over to Outlook.com and OneDrive. Cortana is really useful. Obviously W10m is not as polished as iOS or Android but it may get there.

To answer the second part of your question, it really depends on what you're looking to do. If you're into lots of social apps it probably won't work for you right now. As I mentioned previously, my main "mission critical" things I need in a phone right now are email\calendar\tasks\SMS - plus I have BeWeather, GasBuddy, Waze, YouVersion Bible app, and Wunderlist. So really I only wish for one app - MVelopes, a budgeting app.

I'd have to say, it's probably a lateral move for a BB10 user at this time. Where that leads depends on what kind of support BB continues to produce for BB10 as well as what kind of support MS continues to produce for W10m (which I really think will be good support for quite some time; I have no hard data or facts to back that up, just my gut based on what they're trying to do with Windows 10.)
    zocster and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-20-16 02:09 PM
    Forgot to add that the camera takes really nice pics as well. The Lumia's have always had nice optics.

Moving from BB10 to Windows Phone 10?  Anyone try? Opinions?-wp_20160812_11_54_04_pro.jpgMoving from BB10 to Windows Phone 10?  Anyone try? Opinions?-wp_20160812_11_55_44_pro.jpgMoving from BB10 to Windows Phone 10?  Anyone try? Opinions?-wp_20160819_22_55_05_pro.jpgMoving from BB10 to Windows Phone 10?  Anyone try? Opinions?-wp_ss_20160820_0002.png
    zocster, TgeekB and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-20-16 02:23 PM
    Those pics are from a Lumia 735? They are pretty good!
    If anyone has a 650 please post pics as well. Yes, there are lots of sites with them...but I want something real-world from a source I can trust

I'm still in the hunt, Moto G4 (or whatever variant they call it now) is the current front-runner, but I'm hoping against all hope that BB comes out with a PKB device running their flavour of Android. Honestly, I'm just not crazy about Android overall though.
    09-10-16 03:07 PM
    Those pics are from a Lumia 735? They are pretty good!
    If anyone has a 650 please post pics as well. Yes, there are lots of sites with them...but I want something real-world from a source I can trust

I'm still in the hunt, Moto G4 (or whatever variant they call it now) is the current front-runner, but I'm hoping against all hope that BB comes out with a PKB device running their flavour of Android. Honestly, I'm just not crazy about Android overall though.
    They have a thread on Windows Central with user submissions.

Pictures & Videos Taken With My Lumia 650 - Windows Central Forums
    09-10-16 04:31 PM
    Have you been part of the builds? Have you followed the latest universal apps coming to the platform? It won't matter whether you are using a PC, a laptop, or a mobile device in the future. All will bring the same experience. They haven't left mobile, they are creating a universal OS for all devices.

Now whether it will succeed or not, we don't know yet.
    Agree. They are unifying mobile, tablet, computer and Xbox into one OS with different user interfaces for each device. The HP Elite X3 demonstrates where they are going. By using continuum, you have a fully functional PC in your pocket. The long term goal is to leverage their dominance in the PC world on all devices. Essentially, it's what Apple did but in reverse, they used their mobile and tablet muscle to bring those people entrenched in the Apple ecosystem over to their laptops and desktops. As consumers, we have our feet planted in a few ecosystems. For example, I use a PC, XBOX one and 360, and I depend on ms office. Then, for work mobile I use BlackBerry Passport. For personal phone, tablet and tv media streaming box, it's Android. That's 3 ecosystems with paid items on each. Each of the big three companies (MS, Google and Apple) want all of your needs met by one supplier and that is something i've tried to avoid because having all your eggs in one basket never pays and the way consumers are treated like cattle in terms of data mining these days is quite frankly disturbing, so I dance with the devil when I have to but never let any one of them own my life. There's people out there who could never envisage leaving the Apple comfort zone and as a result, they think Apple is simply the best company ever and it makes the best products and all other companies are just playing catch up. Not true. However, back to the original point: windows phone is not dead, just undergoing an interesting transition. Even I have been tempted by the X3, it is a devastatingly good piece of business kit and with the decline of BlackBerry 10, I'm left wondering where to go for business phone in the future. Due to the nature of my work, security is something I have to take seriously so Apple and non BlackBerry Android are out. That leaves whatever Android Berries are around in a couple of months or the HP Elite X3 and I have to say, although I like my Priv for personal, Android just doesn't cut it for work.

Just my two pence.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    09-11-16 11:10 AM
    I'll be fine with the Passport for all of 2017 and we'll see what ideas BlackBerry comes up with for those of us that like BB10.

Windows phone will probably be my only option if the time comes that BB10 goes the way of the dodo.

A Windows Surface phone would probably be the only option since I like the idea of the company behind the hardware to also control development of the OS.

Plus, as others have also stated, I don't feel any interest in the "runs the Googles" or the Macintosh phone.

Continuum is interesting and hopefully it'll mature nicely in the coming years.

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-11-16 11:31 AM
    We can understand if any one moves BB10 to Android but someone says he wants to move BB10 to windows then it will put me some like query "?" situation.

We have all Major smartphone os used by our office employees. But the productivity that BB10 has that is remarkable. When I see some one wants to check his email or compose a text message then no one is faster than BB10 due to hub many guys waste their time just to find where is there email app.
    09-11-16 11:42 AM
    I still have my Z10 as back up but am using a lumia 640 on win10 and it isn't bad, you get notifications on emails, text, WhatsApp etc in one place and can then click on the item to open the necessary app. It isn't as slick as BB10 hub, but the apps and os are regularly updated.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 04:35 PM
    We can understand if any one moves BB10 to Android but someone says he wants to move BB10 to windows then it will put me some like query "?" situation.
    It's the definition of insanity. The downward trend in W10M is not good. Why dump another $400-800 on a phone OS that is dying as well? Makes no sense.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    09-12-16 07:18 AM
    I keep seeing the option of going from BlackBerry 10 to Windows Phone here on crackberry. I never used a WP, but people I know they used WP, they had so many issues with it. I don't like Windows on PC either. I find Windows being one of the most unstable OS. I may be wrong because I don't know so much about WP. What's the deal with the WP after all?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-16 03:20 PM
    Well, that upcoming new DTEK60 is basically an Idol 4 Pro with BlackBerry enhancements.
    Same strategy as the DTEK50 and Alcatel Idol 4.

You can get the Idol 4 Pro with Windows instead of Android.
    I wouldn't move away from BB10 yet, but would rather have anything other than Android or iOS lol
    http://m.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_4...news-20415.php

Curious to see the price difference is between the BlackBerry-Android version and the Windows version.
    Attachment 408660

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-20-16 12:40 PM
    I like the Windows phone OS. The only reason I replaced mine is we ended up relying solely on our BB10 phones bridged to Playbooks for our home internet.

It is much more polished than iOS or Android and.integrates well with windows desktop and laptop computers.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-22-16 12:17 AM
    Just ordered a Lumia 650 to replace my Z30. Sad to see it go, but I couldn't justify spending approx 280 euro's for a new Z30.
    The Z30 goes to my girlfriend because her Z10 has some mic issues and she's even more dedicated to the old Blackberry then I am.

Apple is OK but too expensive as a phone. Tried the "budget" SE but couldn't type on that one. At such a time you recognise the superior keyboard of the BB10..... Android, I'm done with that. So what does that leave me? Windows phone then. I figured for about 125 euro I could do a lot worse and give it a shot. At least it got a decent snapper. And apps? Don't care much for apps. I have learned to live without most of them thanks to BB10. If I really need the apps, I just grab my iPad. I read the Windows10 phone isn't really that bad security wise (hmmmm okay) but then you also have "security by obscurity". I just need to browse the web occasionally and that is why I didn't get the dumb phone replacement I intended to buy....

We will see if it is a worthy successor.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-26-16 06:48 AM
    Please post on how it works out when you've had some time to adjust.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 07:20 AM
97 1234