That's the kind of stuff people say when they want to defend the hodge podge that is Android.

Obviously people like it because Android sells enough.

My point, if you read what I wrote, is that BlackBerry needs to emphasize the features of BlackBerry 10 that give it an edge over other OSs.

Universal Search in BB10 is certainly something that is unique, even considering S Finder or other things that some Android implementations might have.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority and terminatorx like this.
    01-01-15 01:35 PM
    I'm countering your assertion that no other OS can provide custom ringtones, pictures, vibrations FOR EACH AND EVERY CONTACT. I'm perfectly aware that the iPhone can't provide individual LED colors per contact. It would be a neat trick if it did, especially considering the fact that it doesn't have an LED light on the front. Of course, you knew that when you attempted to pick and choose things that iPhones can't do regarding individual contacts.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 01:38 PM
    I'm countering your assertion that no other OS can provide custom ringtones, pictures, vibrations FOR EACH AND EVERY CONTACT. I'm perfectly aware that the iPhone can't provide individual LED colors per contact. It would be a neat trick if it did, especially considering the fact that it doesn't have an LED light on the front. Of course, you knew that when you attempted to pick and choose things that iPhones can't do regarding individual contacts.
    Nope. LED is part of the package, IMO. It's important to many people.

That's kind of the point.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:43 PM
    What a mess that thread was. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Senor Wright likes this.
    01-01-15 02:15 PM
    People don't like it when you say nice things about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-01-15 02:47 PM
    That's the kind of stuff people say when they want to defend the hodge podge that is Android.

Obviously people like it because Android sells enough.

My point, if you read what I wrote, is that BlackBerry needs to emphasize the features of BlackBerry 10 that give it an edge over other OSs.

Universal Search in BB10 is certainly something that is unique, even considering S Finder or other things that some Android implementations might have.

Posted via CB10
    Last post here and then I'm done. Saying that makes Android a "hodge podge" would be like saying BB10 is a hodge podge for having multiple ways to access the hub, texts, BB Assistant, and camera. It's easy to hide/ignore those extra ways and stick with the way that works best for you, right? That's exactly how it is on Android. Same if there are features/apps one doesn't use. I don't use all of the stuff my Z10 offers, but you don't see me saying it's a "hodge podge" because I don't use those things.

And no, because there are other devices with universal search, it's no longer unique. Your initial post would have been better served as a "things I value about BB10" without trying to compare it to other devices. If other devices have these features as well, it's no longer "an edge." The hub is really the only standout feature and can be considered an edge.
    Spencerdl and Chrisy like this.
    01-01-15 03:02 PM
    Think what you want. It's your opinion and you can have it.

Lots of people like Android for the reasons you give (customization, etc.). Other people,like me, find it a hodge-podge.

I tried liking a Moto X, which the Verge calls the best Android phone. It fell short for me in lots of these areas. Apps didn't close the gap for me.

I tried making the Moto more like a BlackBerry, but it really just felt bolt on.

Again, you have not identified any other phone other than some Samsungs that have any kind of Universal Search. Most Android users don't have it and most Samsung users probably don't know they have it because Samsung loads so much junk onto their phones.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-01-15 03:11 PM
    All smartphones basically do the same thing... there is not a better just different... what I find important functions in an OS function you may think is useless... as is this debate....
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-01-15 03:27 PM
    All smartphones basically do the same thing... there is not a better just different... what I find important functions in an OS function you may think is useless... as is this debate....
    So just buy the cheapest one then?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 03:34 PM
    You accuse me of picking and choosing things, but you do the same. Sounds hypocritical to me.
    01-01-15 03:34 PM
    Just a point of clarity here, the OP and the title referred to the OS....not the particular manufacturer that uses that OS and then layers on it's own stuff to certain phones to make up for it's shortcomings (and then of course makes it laaaaaaagy as hell.)

As far as comparing the two "hodge-podges" BB10 simply offers duplicate icons that you can easily delete or hide, that's not really a hodge podge so much as it is simply a choice. My moto X has a few apps I had to put on and manipulate to sort-of, kind-of emulate what comes out of the box in ANY BB10 device, not just one I happen to buy from Samsung like with Android.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-01-15 04:08 PM
    The one you like using.
    01-01-15 04:14 PM

Lots of people like Android for the reasons you give (customization, etc.). Other people,like me, find it a hodge-podge.

I tried liking a Moto X, which the Verge calls the best Android phone. It fell short for me in lots of these areas. Apps didn't close the gap for me.

I tried making the Moto more like a BlackBerry, but it really just felt bolt on.

Again, you have not identified any other phone other than some Samsungs that have any kind of Universal Search. Most Android users don't have it and mos Samsung users probably don't know they have it because Samsung loads so much junk onto their phones.

Posted via CB10

Now you are pushing it....I had a Note 3 before...when someone buy a new phone, a lot of them will look into their device to see what is in there.

One can say the same thing for BB 10 cause there is so many ways to do the same thing
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 04:19 PM
    I agree with the OP, when searching for and email from literally whenever, all I do is pick up my Passport, type a couple of words WITHOUT OPENING ANY APPS and voila. Even if the email in question is from 3 years ago on my email server.

Bottom line, it works great.
    playpen007 likes this.
    01-01-15 06:10 PM

Again, you have not identified any other phone other than some Samsungs that have any kind of Universal Search. Most Android users don't have it and most Samsung users probably don't know they have it because Samsung loads so much junk onto their phones.

Posted via CB10
    So you ask people their opinion on the best OS, then you argue with them when they have one. Sounds like someone is insecure over their choice.

You also make a lot of very sweeping, general statement about how you "think" people use Android based on your limited experience with Moto X. Your knowledge is lacking my friend.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 06:41 PM
    So you ask people their opinion on the best OS, then you argue with them when they have one. Sounds like someone is insecure over their choice.

You also make a lot of very sweeping, general statement about how you "think" people use Android based on your limited experience with Moto X. Your knowledge is lacking my friend.

Posted via CB10
    Just a few things you got wrong here. The OP didn't ask anyone their opinion. The thread title uses a rhetorical question (much like many headlines do) to get people to click, but the OP didn't actually ask anyone anything. He listed the reasons as to why he believes the OS is superior in certain ways, and many of them are true, others can be debated depending on the semantics you want to use.

The OP argued only when someone else argued with him about his post. Or is that not allowed?

You accused the OP of using sweeping general statements, but then followed up with your own when you said "your knowledge is lacking my friend" but didn't actually explain how.
    01-01-15 07:09 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the platforms that sell the most devices and, therefore, have the most resources to devote to the OS will end up with the better mobile OS. Massive layoffs and departures usually mean less refinement in the long run.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    01-01-15 07:16 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the platforms that sell the most devices and, therefore, have the most resources to devote to the OS will end up with the better mobile OS. Massive layoffs and departures usually mean less refinement in the long run.
    Not necessarily. The most resources can....and usually do....go to marketing. That leads to more phones sold....which leads to more resources. BB hasn't advertised in years, so I have to believe they might be concentrating every bit of available resources they have into making a great phone.
    daniel337 likes this.
    01-01-15 07:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can't argue opinions. I wouldn't do that. People are free to like what they like.

Facts are facts. When someone says something that is wrong, I'll point that out.

I have nothing against Android. I was hoping to like the Moto X. It fell short because Android falls short. Ways in which Android falls short are in the OP. The hardware was great. I wish BlackBerry would make a phone like that.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    01-01-15 08:58 PM
    Android has one purpose: getting people to use Google services so Google can sell ads. That is where the resources go.

Apple is too concerned with getting you into the entire Apple ecosystem that the product suffers because of it. Apples great as long as you like all the choices apple makes for you. Apple devotes resources into designing proprietary cables instead of just using USB. Apple wants to get every nickel it can from you.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 09:05 PM
    kinda cool, but i still love my Passport
    01-01-15 09:08 PM
    Android has one purpose: getting people to use Google services so Google can sell ads. That is where the resources go.

Apple is too concerned with getting you into the entire Apple ecosystem that the product suffers because of it. Apples great as long as you like all the choices apple makes for you. Apple devotes resources into designing proprietary cables instead of just using USB. Apple wants to get every nickel it can from you.

Posted via CB10
    Great summary of Android and iOS. Short, concise and spot on

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 09:09 PM
    Just a few things you got wrong here. The OP didn't ask anyone their opinion. The thread title uses a rhetorical question (much like many headlines do) to get people to click, but the OP didn't actually ask anyone anything. He listed the reasons as to why he believes the OS is superior in certain ways, and many of them are true, others can be debated depending on the semantics you want to use.

The OP argued only when someone else argued with him about his post. Or is that not allowed?

You accused the OP of using sweeping general statements, but then followed up with your own when you said "your knowledge is lacking my friend" but didn't actually explain how.
    A rhetorical question, huh? I guess everyone in the BlackBerry bubble knows the answer then. But for us in the real world, an OS is a personal, subjective choice...

I didn't spell out the OP's incorrect statements because, well, others have, and they seemed obvious, but if not...

Universal Search - Not a new BlackBerry feature. WebOS had it, Android has it..

Universal inbox- WP has People Hub, Android has notification center. Big deal. Every platform has some version of this. Who emails anyway?

Custom Ringtones-(?) Really? How about stickers and emojis? This is a quintessential feature how?

Apps/Ecosystem- You loss all credibly when you argue BlackBerry eco/apps against anyone sans maybe WebOS. Google services compatibility is mandatory in this day and age. Have you tried to sync your BlackBerry calendar to, well, anything? Ya can't do it. Android Runtime is slow on BB10, Android apps crash and or take minutes to open. To most, this is not acceptable.

Hey, I love my Z3. But it has its limitations. Everyone is entitled to love what they love for any *amn reason they want. You just have to get your facts correct if you want to convince me on the merits of those facts.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 01-01-15 at 09:25 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 09:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough.

I'm interested in knowing how long you have been a BB10 user? I had similar options when I first switched to BB10.

But after 8 months I can tell you the it's limitations have become more and more problematic. I know you dislike Google Services (The feature, not the general term) but they are integral to most people as you can't sync calender or contacts. This is a big deal. Not having Chrome bookmark/history sync is a very big deal too.

Also, there are ways to limit or prevent Google from using your info to sell ads ect.
    Like them or not they make the best search engine. They also have done some great things recently to prevent NSA spying into their servers as well as added encryption as a default.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-15 09:21 PM
    Can you think of these skinned android phones in the same way as when you buy a computer with windows and they add on lots of sample programs and such. Or are the add ons generally more usefull applications than the windows bloat?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:16 PM
173 1234 ...